Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

glowing-fish posted:

What is the difference? Which one is Denny's?

Like the only thing that could really drive business out of Denny's is if the Ventrue and Toreador engage in a civil war.

Fast casual is fast food that thinks it's fancy, and has slightly longer wait for your food and slightly higher prices to match. In theory it's also better food than a regular fast food place, in practice lol if you buy into that marketing.

For instance:

McDonald's is regular fast food. Five Guys is "fast casual".
Subway is regular fast food. Panera is "fast casual".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Has shoeless always sold lovely off-brand shoes? I remember them selling brand name before...But last time I stepped in it was all lovely offbrand stuff.

I think Shoeless could have done really well if they targetted an upscale market with trendy shoes. Shoe sales for urban shoes have gone up and become more popular over the past few years.
My dad worked for Payless for pretty much all of my childhood.

At least in the 1980s-1990s, Payless was nothing but own-brand stuff like Pro-Wings, Spot-Bilt, Honchos, some other brands I forget.

In the early 21st century, they bought or licensed some brand names that had some recognition (Airwalk, Keds) but I feel like they sold those licenses off again in the past ten years or so.

I feel like I can say with some confidence that for most of the past 40 years the Payless Shoesource model was quite literally buying pairs of Nikes/Reeboks (or whatever the equivalent in other shoe markets is) and taking them to factories and going "how closely and how cheaply can you make something look kind of like this without getting us sued?"

There was a long protracted lawsuit about whether or not it was okay to just rip off Adidas shoe designs so long as you add or substract a stripe.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I hope Outback Steakhouse also dies.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Badger of Basra posted:

It bums me out that we seemed to stop building nice looking public buildings in like 1950.

When you say "public buildings", do you mean buildings that are open to the public to just wander in for hours like malls, or do you mean government administration buildings that have many floors that can't be accessed by anyone who doesn't have good reason to be there?

Because I can assure you we're still building the latter.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I hope Outback Steakhouse also dies.

A friend worked for one after working in one of the better fast food chains (In-n-Out) and thought it was fine. I've only been to it once and didn't like the food, but I also miss Sizzler and I guess it's the closest thing to it still going.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 29, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Halloween Jack posted:

Granite Run was my wife's teenage hangout mall and she was very sad to see it in such a dilapidated nigh-abandoned state. I bought a shirt from that Boscov's on the way to a wedding.

Shopping in a mall is the zombie experience. That's just being on-the-nose about the metaphor.

Like, alternate idea: get people to pay for a spin class. The bicycles power a radio that just repeats "The Matrix has you" over and over.

2 of the 3 anchor stores in Granite Run, including the Boscov's, are still up and running, and the whole thing is the site of a many millions of dollars public/private business venture under construction right this second. Tell her not to be sad!

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

fishmech posted:

Fast casual is fast food that thinks it's fancy, and has slightly longer wait for your food and slightly higher prices to match. In theory it's also better food than a regular fast food place, in practice lol if you buy into that marketing.

Dunkin donuts recently bought Panera, if that's any guide.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Panera's new marketing push is something like "more than just bread" but maybe if that's the case they should change their name?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I love Panera and I eat there often

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Fast casual is generally better than traditional fast food, if only for the fact that the menus tend to have more salads and less french fries. Everything I've ever eaten at Panera tasted like a dish sponge though.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Panera is trash for white people who like to pay 8x food costs because there's lovely art on the walls

See also: starbucks

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Panera tastes fine but is so drat expensive for not very much food

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
NFS tell us more about trash rich people...

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

BrandorKP posted:

NFS tell us more about trash rich people...

lol the rich don't go to panera

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol the rich don't go to panera

Yeah, they go to the Costco foodcourt. It's like some of you don't even read this thread :rolleyes:

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah, they go to the Costco foodcourt. It's like some of you don't even read this thread :rolleyes:

To be fair the Costco food court is much better than Panera

it's still poo poo food but at least it's cheap

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Trash rich people? You mean the fyrefest refugees?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

My boss who can cash flow two single family homes in the Seattle area, literally selected the location of those homes via proximity to Costco.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Panera is a great business model you should give them your money. Don't even get the food.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

To be fair my landlord is a multi-millionaire and I know for a fact that he regularly shops at our local Target.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6yA7r6WfJo

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is kind of cheating, there's no difference between an open and closed K-Mart.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Pharohman777 posted:

Huh, that actually makes sense for government offices, and there is plenty of room for parking already.
Where is this converted government building?

Somewhere in northeastern rural SC, I forget where exactly.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

wow it turns out the 90s and 2000s suburban retail credit and housing boom was was a grotesquely inefficient waste of resources. who knew!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Ogmius815 posted:

To be fair my landlord is a multi-millionaire and I know for a fact that he regularly shops at our local Target.

Bulk and low unit costs are a thing for many very well off people. This is more high accumulator crowd and less the HENRYs. I have had the same conversation with several multimillionaires about cup ramen vs packet ramen. They love to give me poo poo about the dime unit cost difference.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

You don't maintain your high score wasting it on packaging

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
One of the strange things about this thread, is that I started it coming from a background of living mostly in the Pacific Northwest.

Stereotypically, Oregon and Washington are environmentally friendly, have limited sprawl, have smart growth, and are full of hipsters shopping at neighborhood boutiques, and yet they might be the last part of the country where malls and big box stores are still doing well. Like, I can't think of any malls or developments in Oregon or Washington where I have seen closed stores and empty aisles. Even Mall 205 in Portland, which is kind of mocked as such, just changed from being a social mall to a Home Depot and Target mall. There really isn't that many places in the Pacific Northwest where you see abandoned storefronts and stuff.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I imagine much of the worst of it is in Rust Belt/Midwestern suburbs where the core regional industries died off long ago and the 90s/00s boom was built entirely on the credit and housing bubble, with no new industries being created

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Missoula, Montana also didn't seem to have any retail problems...maybe because it is the largest retail center for at least 200 miles.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

glowing-fish posted:

One of the strange things about this thread, is that I started it coming from a background of living mostly in the Pacific Northwest.

Stereotypically, Oregon and Washington are environmentally friendly, have limited sprawl, have smart growth, and are full of hipsters shopping at neighborhood boutiques, and yet they might be the last part of the country where malls and big box stores are still doing well. Like, I can't think of any malls or developments in Oregon or Washington where I have seen closed stores and empty aisles. Even Mall 205 in Portland, which is kind of mocked as such, just changed from being a social mall to a Home Depot and Target mall. There really isn't that many places in the Pacific Northwest where you see abandoned storefronts and stuff.

Because everyone is moving here. A lot of these places are predicated on growth through volume, corporations are calibrated to perform exactly the same way across the country and we'd get really weird poo poo in our target stores in the PNW because St Louis thought it was a good idea.

Its also why theyre going to eventually completely implode, because instead of using their current boons in invest in staff and upgrades they'll use the region to cover poo poo falling apart elsewhere.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

icantfindaname posted:

I imagine much of the worst of it is in Rust Belt/Midwestern suburbs where the core regional industries died off long ago and the 90s/00s boom was built entirely on the credit and housing bubble, with no new industries being created

While we often think about the industry dying off, we forget that lot of that industry itself relied on lots of near-regional consumption, and that near-regional consumption was driven by having a lot of single-family farming around. It's the same reason small towns in general died off, they needed all the farmers around to drive demand. As farming consolidated to much fewer workers and families, there simply wasnt enough business for them.

Even if imports had never really picked up to sate national demand, a lot of that industry would have continued to centralize into the larger metro areas for efficiency of scale, and leave those other areas with their industry just as dead.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

glowing-fish posted:

Prosperity is probably key. The sole mall near me seems full and busy. I live in a pretty hipster area. Areas with dropping and aging population don't have so much use for malls.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Then again, Garden City, New York has one of the biggest active malls in Roosevelt Field along with one of the deadest (and according to Wikipedia, soon to be demolished after being a dead mall for pretty much a decade) in The Source Mall, all within a few miles of one another.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Austin had a mall go almost completely deserted because word got out that sometimes black people shopped there.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Aliquid posted:

Austin had a mall go almost completely deserted because word got out that sometimes black people shopped there.

Looks like they wanted to Keep Austin Weird.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

glowing-fish posted:

The Everett Mall has been skirting the edge for like the past decade. The owners defaulted on their loan in 2012, was rescued by a group of investors, and now it's back on the block. Somehow it still pulls in 5.5m a year net and keeps most of its stores open. We'll see how that changes now that its Macy's is gone.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

glowing-fish posted:

That's really interesting. Do you go to the mall regularly? Do you enjoy it? Also I think I get what you mean but I hadn't heard the term "social mall" before. Is that something you coined or an actual industry term?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It's different out here there is a massive amount of public amenities. There are "destination playgrounds". Even in the less desirable communities, there is a crazy amount of public space. It's lousy with kids too, everybody has kids (me included). It's just easier to live.

Where I was living in GA had a population of about 9000. Where I live now in WA has about 6000. Twice as many grocery stores, order of magnitude more playgrounds. Even out where I live most retail jobs start at $14. They literally make announcements in the grocery store asking for people to apply for jobs.

Growth is one hell of a thing.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

That's really interesting. Do you go to the mall regularly? Do you enjoy it? Also I think I get what you mean but I hadn't heard the term "social mall" before. Is that something you coined or an actual industry term?

I made that term up because I had a headache and was posting in a hurry. But yes, its probably a good term. "Social Mall", as opposed to the mall where people go to buy new faucets and poo poo.

I live in Santiago de Chile now, so when I go to the mall, I am going to the Costanera Center, which is the largest mall in the continent, located in the largest skyscraper in the continent. Its a pretty busy place.

I went there today to buy cheese, wine, and golf sauce flavored potato chips because I do my normal grocery shopping at the largest skyscraper in the continent, which always amuses me.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

glowing-fish posted:

I made that term up because I had a headache and was posting in a hurry. But yes, its probably a good term. "Social Mall", as opposed to the mall where people go to buy new faucets and poo poo.

I live in Santiago de Chile now, so when I go to the mall, I am going to the Costanera Center, which is the largest mall in the continent, located in the largest skyscraper in the continent. Its a pretty busy place.

I went there today to buy cheese, wine, and golf sauce flavored potato chips because I do my normal grocery shopping at the largest skyscraper in the continent, which always amuses me.

That's awesome! I used to do my grocery shopping in a skyscraper too, but a much smaller one. The lowest level always smelled like cooked white rice for some reason. What's golf sauce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Sauce made with bits of golf balls, obviously