Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

PirateBob posted:

Is it a good idea to replace Adverse Resolve (more crits when surrounded) with triple evade wind when Chariot max rank awakens?

Absolutely, without a second thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you ever get ambushed, you are either strong enough to weather the first attack and proceed as normal, or should GTFO. Any ability that is only for these situations is taking up 1/8 of a character's skill set with less than 1/8 of the utility

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

Any abilities that only work when you get ambushed or when the weather is a certain way are useless and should be replaced at the first opportunity.

How often are you getting ambushed that you're even considering keeping that thing?

About once per palace and once per mementos visit (but the fights there are way too easy no matter what). So yeah. Was just wondering, in case there are some (mini) boss fights coming up where you start out ambushed or some such BS.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

PirateBob posted:

About once per palace and once per mementos visit (but the fights there are way too easy no matter what). So yeah. Was just wondering, in case there are some (mini) boss fights coming up where you start out ambushed or some such BS.

Nope, none of that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PirateBob posted:

Is it a good idea to replace Adverse Resolve (more crits when surrounded) with triple evade wind when Chariot max rank awakens?

The evade elements you get for maxing out links are amazing and you should definitely keep them on your party members. Later on enemies and bosses love to target your weaknesses.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man, Yusuke's English VA gives him a lot more personality than his JP VA does.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
in a mara suit, i shall jump down from the counter and yell, "im yusugay"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dragonatrix posted:

Plus (Palace 6 onwards)Goro DOES get the Almighty spells AND powerful physical attacks AND Bless and Curse AND Debilitate. He gets to dabble in everything because he's temporary and it's a mechanical foreshadowing of his true nature as a shithead and as someone who can also theoretically use anything he likes.

I assume Bless attacks were what Hifumi was going to specialize in before she got cut as a party member.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Yusuke is probably the worst late game but he's probably the best early and mid game, or definitely up there. Maybe just make it so bosses can be crit, but not held up?

Not really - you want Ryuji for Tarukaja (which is better than Sukukaja), Ann for Tarunda, and Morgana/Makoto for heals. Until he gets Masukukaja he's outright worse than Ryuji for most boss fights unless they're using Wind.

If his damage was that good that you can overlook his earlygame lack of utility maybe, but his Strength is only marginally higher than Ryuji, who has loads more HP and Endurance to compensate.

He gets better midgame when Ryuji hits his good new ability drought, but I'm not sure he ever overtakes Ryuji other than maybe being better for Memento bosses since Mind Slice.

Allowing bosses to be crit but not held up would be amazing since it'd buff Yusuke/Ann/Ryuji damage by a ton and give Morgana more utility when he doesn't need to heal. It'd be my QoL change for the next version.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Even during Ryuji's ability drought, he has Swift Strike which can carry him all the way to endgame. Hell, it's more consistent damage than Agneysatra.

Poor Yusuke starts out worse then never catches up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, Yusuke is hella underpowered. I only ever really bring him out when I need a cheap source of Bufu or Suku.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yusuke is hotter than Ryuji so that's my argument.

My joys on life come from Baton Passing to Yusuke so he can do his Heavy Phys move that gets buffed from Baton Pass

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Oh man, Yusuke's English VA gives him a lot more personality than his JP VA does.

Zuh?!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Moltrey posted:

Yusuke is hotter than Ryuji so that's my argument.

My joys on life come from Baton Passing to Yusuke so he can do his Heavy Phys move that gets buffed from Baton Pass

Yusuke is not hotter than Ryuji, I will not stand for this slander :colbert:

also you can't use Baton Pass against anything worth Baton Passing against.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The game is easy enough (at least on normal) that even with him being pretty lacking you can keep Yusuke in your party the whole game and not have any issues.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yusuke isn't even outright bad, in a vacuum he's actually pretty good - decent Strength, High Counter, and a good array of Phys skills. But compared to everyone else he lacks that oomph. If he and Ryuji swapped statlines the balance might be better.

He's basically analogous to P3 Junpei - not outright bad, just has a hard time saying he's got something over everyone else.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 30, 2017

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Does the Fortune social stat boosting thing even work? I paid for increased Kindness and still got just +2 for working at the flower shop later the same day.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I used Ann/Yusuke/Makoto the whole game until Goro joined and then said bye to Yusuke, sorry bud

Zore posted:

Ryuji is NOT hot oh my god

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yes, each note doesn't correspond one-to-one with points earned

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PirateBob posted:

Does the Fortune social stat boosting thing even work? I paid for increased Kindness and still got just +2 for working at the flower shop later the same day.

Yes. Notes don't correlate exactly to points.

ie. 1 note is 1-2 points, 2 notes is 3-5 and 3 notes is 5+ or something along those lines. Her readings just increase the points by 1 so it doesn't always visibly increase the notes.

Moltrey posted:

Ryuji is NOT hot oh my god

Who said Ryuji was hot?

I just said Yusuke is not hotter than him.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
You should be able to send your party members to hang out with other party members to let them borrow/obtain skills from the other member's persona.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

OneDeadman posted:

You should be able to send your party members to hang out with other party members to let them borrow/obtain skills from the other member's persona.

Yeah except instead of getting skills you just get cute scenes of your buds hanging out.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah except instead of getting skills you just get cute scenes of your buds hanging out.

But what if you got both????

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Zore posted:

Every palace includes a fight against the stock beefy shadow that hurts a lot and has no weaknesses - your Anubis, your Scathach, and so on. Usually when you're in the last area or two of those palaces these start showing up with a bunch of other enemies when previously they had appeared alone.

This is basically where Yusuke's baton pass attack shines - with a bunch of hanger-on scrubs that have actual weaknesses in the fight, you can knock them down, end a baton pass on Yusuke, and have him delete the beefy shadow with his powered up attack. These fights are only a small fraction of the fights you'd face in a Palace but they're usually the ones that can gently caress you up pretty bad if they get out of control, so it's still a useful niche to cover.

For most of the midgame I actually ran both Ryuji and Yusuke, because making your own personas for Joker usually means you can cover elements yourself if necessary and can leave the fourth slot to rotate one of the others based on need.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Meiteron posted:

Every palace includes a fight against the stock beefy shadow that hurts a lot and has no weaknesses - your Anubis, your Scathach, and so on. Usually when you're in the last area or two of those palaces these start showing up with a bunch of other enemies when previously they had appeared alone.

This is basically where Yusuke's baton pass attack shines - with a bunch of hanger-on scrubs that have actual weaknesses in the fight, you can knock them down, end a baton pass on Yusuke, and have him delete the beefy shadow with his powered up attack. These fights are only a small fraction of the fights you'd face in a Palace but they're usually the ones that can gently caress you up pretty bad if they get out of control, so it's still a useful niche to cover.

For most of the midgame I actually ran both Ryuji and Yusuke, because making your own personas for Joker usually means you can cover elements yourself if necessary and can leave the fourth slot to rotate one of the others based on need.

I mean, almost all of those guys are hilariously vulnerable to ailments to the point where even "small chance" hits every single time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

OneDeadman posted:

But what if you got both????

Do I even dare dream of such a thing?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Or you could use Lucky/Miracle Punch or One-Shot Kill or anything that has an absurd Crit chance.

Or, yeah, just say gently caress it and use Ominous Word/Abysmal Surge and make them just die while you regen SP.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
Has anyone seen a guide around for the Passionate Listener trophy? Because I'm back at the last palace already (on NG+) and I still don't have it, despite farming line after line in Mementos and Palaces. I've seen folks say they got it on their first run without trying, so I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

drat, Rivers in the Desert is ridiculously catchy.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Zhaan posted:

Has anyone seen a guide around for the Passionate Listener trophy? Because I'm back at the last palace already (on NG+) and I still don't have it, despite farming line after line in Mementos and Palaces. I've seen folks say they got it on their first run without trying, so I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing.

Swap out your team a bunch, get hit by ailments. I never really tried for it, it just popped at some point.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

Swap out your team a bunch, get hit by ailments. I never really tried for it, it just popped at some point.

Yeah, I got the trophy randomly like halfway through palace 6 and I was barely even trying.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Boy Palace 7 kind of sucks and is super long huh. SP Adhesives are starting to not quite cut it, I've almost got 4/5 Recommendations so hopefully I'll be done with this place soon, I'm dreading running into a whole additional wing of puzzles after I find all 5.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVNhphgwR90

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Scorps posted:

Boy Palace 7 kind of sucks and is super long huh. SP Adhesives are starting to not quite cut it, I've almost got 4/5 Recommendations so hopefully I'll be done with this place soon, I'm dreading running into a whole additional wing of puzzles after I find all 5.

I recommend popping a Soma right after you get the fifth, but once you get to a safe room after you get the last letter, you're basically done.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I ended up having like 40 coffees and curries by that time, don't be a hoarder!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugc4etorpHA&t=829s

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Will do, I have I think I have 2-3 so might as well use em. I think I know what is coming at the end too if it's a fight pre treasure, I'll be sure to pop it so I'm ready.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Opposing Farce posted:

I mean there is definitely a twist that got me in this game (and it fuckin rules) but that one is telegraphed pretty hard, Crow is the sketchiest motherfucker in the world and the "pancakes" thing was so obvious I was sure dropping that hint had to be part of his grand plan somehow.

I know this is a million pages ago, but now that I'm done the game I want to come back and say that when it happened I figured the "pancakes" thing was just supposed to indicate Akechi was clever and perceptive, since it'd been described before that people can't hear Morgana due to their conception that cats shouldn't be able to talk so it'd make sense for someone being introduced as an ace detective to be close to sussing it out.

I figured he might "betray" the Phantom Thieves in the plain old police detective way, since he'd been upfront from the start that he wasn't joining the Thieves, and that it going awry would be what makes him join for real. The guy in the black mask I thought was going to be Shido himself, who'd used the cognition research to send himself into the Metaverse. Finding out Akechi was actually his pawn caught me by surprise and the whole switcheroo scheme set up by the framing device was also Very Good, the whole Shido business felt like the strongest writing in the game. The ending god-plot stuff was a little more eh by comparison.

There's like 400 pages of thread already though so I assume any post-game writing critique has already been picked to pieces. Boy, those offensive gay stereotype characters carrying Ryuji off huh?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I got Passionate Listener right at the final boss but that's mainly because there's like two dozen unique lines for that fight alone.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I hope YouTube Documents everything in this loving game to show the world. We live in a day in age where gaming secrets do not exist anymore, and if they do, they've already been discovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
there was a loving great p5 joke video in the recommended for this and im mad i cant post it