Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Yeah does anyone have a good or definitive guide to SV prime rib?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah does anyone have a good or definitive guide to SV prime rib?

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/win-the-holidays-with-herb-crusted-sous-vide-prime-rib-rib-roast

TBH I am just as likely to break out a reverse sear, especially since i bought a 30" MES and can have a 125-150 degree oven but with smoke too.

Edit: Kenji has his "definitive" version too, but he sticks to the reverse sear.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/food-lab-guide-to-prime-rib.html

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 28, 2017

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Those of you who have done sous vide oxtails, how did you sous vide them? I've seen anything from 14 to 24 hours at 180F to 185F.

And unrelated: has anyone tried Anova's goat curry recipe? Or have their own sous vide curried goat stew recipes?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I did oxtails 100 hours at 140°F. By the fourth day they started to stink. Against my better judgement I decided to eat it, but didn't get sick or die. I'm not 100% sure what the stink was, but my guess is it was the bone marrow turning livery over time. This may have also been exacerbated by the vacuum bagging, which sucked some of the marrow out of the bone and into the rest of the bag.

Next time I try I'm going to either do a lower vacuum or stop cooking at 72 hours.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Claire@skillet just did them.

http://skillet.lifehacker.com/will-it-sous-vide-succulent-fall-off-the-bone-oxtail-1794311070

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I just did this Fish in XO Sauce and it was incredibly good. I won't shame myself with a picture but if you're keen for some simple clean fish I highly recommend it. I just served it with bok choi and steamed rice.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Pic's to come tomorrow some time. Got the brisket in the puddle for 36hrs fellas. I'll let you know how this turns out. Suggestions on smoke times? Was thinking 3 hours @300. Also how much liquid smoke if any do you guys use in your bags? 1 Tablespoon?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

sterster posted:

Pic's to come tomorrow some time. Got the brisket in the puddle for 36hrs fellas. I'll let you know how this turns out. Suggestions on smoke times? Was thinking 3 hours @300. Also how much liquid smoke if any do you guys use in your bags? 1 Tablespoon?

If I'm going to actually smoke, none.
Smoke it at 250 til it looks as delicious as you want. The lower you smoke it the less risk of it drying out.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

toplitzin posted:

If I'm going to actually smoke, none.
Smoke it at 250 til it looks as delicious as you want. The lower you smoke it the less risk of it drying out.

So with the 2 porkbutt that I did. The smoke didn't get picked up enough/all. From what I've read once you have cooked the meat smoke doesn't penetrate it. Thus why we are trying liquid smoke while SV'ing and then going to smoke out on the grill. Thanks for the temp advice though. I'll drop it down a bit. I have good luck ~@270 with the pork.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BrianBoitano posted:

I love puddling in the bag with the marinade. Beautiful color. Chill, drain, pat dry, reduce marinade to make pan sauce. Pat dry and sear in cast iron. Turn Korean chicken into banh mi with gochujang mayo and sweet sour cucumbers.

Korea meets Vietnam and it's delicious.

What's the marinade?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Phanatic posted:

What's the marinade?

1 cup soy sauce, 2 smashed garlic cloves, 1/4 cup light brown sugar, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar. Don't remember the exact quantities of the latter two ingredients because I returned the cookbook to the library! We decided after 3 weeks of trying it out that it's worth buying, so we'll order it online and I'll tell you when it arrives.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've decided to take on the fool's errand of poaching eggs, despite what's been said these past few pages. Mostly because I'm terrible at poaching eggs the conventional way.

75 degrees, 13 minutes, extra large eggs. The one on the left was left in about a minute longer and it shows. Extraction from the shell was easy enough, just tapping around the circumference until I could remove a good portion of shell and upending the egg over the toast.

All in all I'm very happy with the result.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Megabound posted:

All in all I'm very happy with the result.

You should be, they look great! So much better than my recent, disappointing effort.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Megabound posted:

The one on the left was left in about a minute longer and it shows.

Wonder if that egg was stuck next to the heating element for the full cook time. I've never had that level of difference. Then again I do the 63c eggs for 1hr when I make eggs benny. Still looks awesome!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

sterster posted:

Wonder if that egg was stuck next to the heating element for the full cook time. I've never had that level of difference. Then again I do the 63c eggs for 1hr when I make eggs benny. Still looks awesome!

Possibly, I did them again this morning, they both crowded around the impeller. This time 12 and a half minutes at 75c and I took them both out at the same time. Came out perfectly.

e: I should also mention that I keep my eggs room temperature.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 30, 2017

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
As promised here is my brisket. I think I added to much rub (salt & pepper, could have done with less pepper IMO). Overall it came out texture wise pretty good. Mother in law thought it was amazing and that I should open my own restaurant lol. Everyone else like it a lot though. Then again it's hard to get good feedback from people who you are directly associated with and I'm my own worst critic. I've got a lot more to learn about cooking this I think as far as how much fat to keep when I cut it. I'd prefer soemthing not so much salt/pepper based rub too. But, this comes with experience.

sterster fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 30, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

sterster posted:

As promised here is my brisket. I think I added to much rub (salt & pepper, could have done with less pepper IMO). Overall it came out texture wise pretty good. Mother in law thought it was amazing and that I should open my own restaurant lol. Everyone else like it a lot though. Then again it's hard to get good feedback from people who you are directly associated with and I'm my own worst critic. I've got a lot more to learn about cooking this I think as far as how much fat to keep when I cut it. I'd prefer soemthing not so much salt/pepper based rub too. But, this comes with experience.

Might have been good to separate the point and flat so you wouldn't have different grains.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

kirtar posted:

Might have been good to separate the point and flat so you wouldn't have different grains.

Is this something that people do? I just assumed most people at least in the smoking world smoked the whole brisket. Honestly I didn't even know there were 2 different muscle groups when I started. Speaking to my smoker friend at work I assumed he cooked the whole thing then served according to peoples preference. It seems silly to me to cook the same meat as far as cook times go in 2 different sessions. Unless I was looking to make just pastrami I don't see what the point would be. Please educate me though. This is/was literally my first time cooking this cut of meat.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

sterster posted:

Is this something that people do? I just assumed most people at least in the smoking world smoked the whole brisket. Honestly I didn't even know there were 2 different muscle groups when I started. Speaking to my smoker friend at work I assumed he cooked the whole thing then served according to peoples preference. It seems silly to me to cook the same meat as far as cook times go in 2 different sessions. Unless I was looking to make just pastrami I don't see what the point would be. Please educate me though. This is/was literally my first time cooking this cut of meat.

Aaron Franklin has some great videos on bbq in general and his well known brisket recipe is amazing on the smoker. This is a good starting point to understanding the beast that is Brisket https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

sterster posted:

I was talking about on slicing rather than cooking, though cooking them separately would also be an option. Referring back to the last picture on your post, you can see that the flat and point have grain running in different directions. Ideally the slice would be across the grain (bottom part) rather than along the grain (top part) as the former basically has short muscle fibers which easily come apart while latter typically makes for a tougher/stringier texture. This has a section on slicing brisket down at the bottom and the "easy" and competition method ultimately involve separation of the two muscles to allow cutting against the grain.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I knew it!

quote:

The argument is as old as Texas. I asked my beef consultant, Dr. Antonio Mata, a meat scientist and a former Consulting Technical Coordinator to the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, if fat will melt and penetrate the muscle fibers. His reply was simple and unequivocal. "No way." I asked him to elaborate. "The fibers are packed too close for large fat molecules to squeeze in. Since about 75% of the muscle is made of water, and oil and water don't mix, it is just going to melt and run off."

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

quote:

Sometimes I even flip the meat midway through the cook just so nobody can win the argument[about whether to have the fat cap up or down]

I like this guy.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
My brother in law thinks he's hilarious and forwarded this to me.

https://www.facebook.com/VancouverCBC/videos/10155422547874604/

I mean, I guess it could be adapted.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
A lot of people have used their sous vide machines to save baby animals, so he's a little more on the nose than you might expect. I'm pretty sure there's even some goat photos earlier in the thread.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Feenix posted:

Top sirloin with a nice butter sear and a dollop of butter-basil-parsley-garlic-smoked Blue Cheese. (And baked garlic shrimp)

This was the main part of my 5 course dinner I hosted tonight (forgive the lovely plating)

The previously-mentioned Pinot Noir Chocolate pots de creme...

This was fantastically easy with the Anova.

Is that desert made sous vide? Do you have the recipe? Or am I just being ridiculous? I've seen some desert recipes around and always had my doubts about cooking them that way but am still curious

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

teacup posted:

Is that desert made sous vide? Do you have the recipe? Or am I just being ridiculous? I've seen some desert recipes around and always had my doubts about cooking them that way but am still curious

The dessert was and it loving ruled!

Let me seek it out for you... but in s nutshell it was:

Make a Pinot Noir syrup on the stovetop, let cool, dump it, egg yolks, semi sweet chocolate, dark unsweetened chocolate, milk, cream, salt into blender. Blend well.

Sous Vide for like 45 min in a gallon ziplock,

Re-blend to soften/aerate. Put in ramekins, minimum 4 hours.

Personal note: let them sit out for an hour or so before serving to soften just a touch.

[Ed]
https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-chocolate-pots-de-creme

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I did the st louis ribs in the sous vide and while they taste good they don't really stand up to bbq. They don't have the bark that ribs get in the smoker. They are very juicy but are missing some flavor from being smoked/bbqed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did you have liquid smoke in the bag?

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Subjunctive posted:

Did you have liquid smoke in the bag?

liquid smoke is flavor, what I'm talking about is texture. The sous vide/oven can't recreate the bark that you get in real bbq.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

5436 posted:

I did the st louis ribs in the sous vide and while they taste good they don't really stand up to bbq. They don't have the bark that ribs get in the smoker. They are very juicy but are missing some flavor from being smoked/bbqed.
you won't get a bark/smoke ring with sous vide(because it's not a smoker) so you won't get the same thing as from a smoker.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Elizabethan Error posted:

you won't get a bark/smoke ring with sous vide(because it's not a smoker) so you won't get the same thing as from a smoker.

Yea I figured but the contrast is stark. The guides all act like its nearly the same thing. I don't think it's close. The ribs aren't bad by any means but it's not the same as BBQ. I think it worked well for pulled pork since theres very little surface area compared to the amount of meat. I think I'll stick to fish/pork/beef instead of trying to recreate bbq.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Did you crisp up the outside at all, or did you pull meat out of the bag and eat it?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

5436 posted:

Yea I figured but the contrast is stark. The guides all act like its nearly the same thing. I don't think it's close. The ribs aren't bad by any means but it's not the same as BBQ. I think it worked well for pulled pork since theres very little surface area compared to the amount of meat. I think I'll stick to fish/pork/beef instead of trying to recreate bbq.
well they aren't the same thing, but that's because of the difference in cooking techniques(hot and semimoist vs warm and no moisture loss). your expectation of having a bark/smoky flavour on par with a piece of meat that's been sitting in smoke for =>4 hours isn't realistic.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Feenix posted:

Make a Pinot Noir syrup on the stovetop, let cool, dump it, egg yolks, semi sweet chocolate, dark unsweetened chocolate, milk, cream, salt into blender. Blend well.

Personal note: let them sit out for an hour or so before serving to soften just a touch.

[Ed]

Hero, thank you.

So a few people have been talking pork the last few pages as a big one for sous vide. What cut of pork? Pork cutlets? Butterfly pork steak? What is the best cut to sous vide and also a good seasoning? Just salt and pepper? Honey and mustard? I want some juicy pork mmmm

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

5436 posted:

What guide are you referring to? I've been doing the sous vide bbq thing for a couple of things so far and all of the guides tell you to smoke them. I mean you are reducing the smoke time required by cooking them in the puddle but, you need to finish them in the over/smoker to get the outside the texture of bbq. I'm genuinely curious about what exactly you did.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

teacup posted:

Hero, thank you.

So a few people have been talking pork the last few pages as a big one for sous vide. What cut of pork? Pork cutlets? Butterfly pork steak? What is the best cut to sous vide and also a good seasoning? Just salt and pepper? Honey and mustard? I want some juicy pork mmmm

In my order of preference: Belly, tenderloin, shoulder. SV belly with the skin dried off and torched crisp is divine. Medium-rare tenderloin seared intact and sliced into medallions is awesome too.

You can do decent loin chops but they need extra effort to get really good much the same way chicken white meat does.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Chemmy posted:

Did you crisp up the outside at all, or did you pull meat out of the bag and eat it?

I finished in the oven.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Feenix posted:

[Ed]

What's the difference in difficulty making those pot de cremes with and without a sous vide? I do enjoy using my anova for all sorts of things but sometimes I can't help but feel a little silly if it was something that would be easy without it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CrazySalamander posted:

What's the difference in difficulty making those pot de cremes with and without a sous vide? I do enjoy using my anova for all sorts of things but sometimes I can't help but feel a little silly if it was something that would be easy without it.

Like all the world is a nail when all you have is a sweet wifi-enabled hammer?

Sure... could be. But honestly I've never made pots de creme before so I don't know.

I DO know that I'd probably have to stir and monitor for 45 min instead of just walking away... so there's that. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

5436 posted:

I finished in the oven.

Can you elaborate? I'd do something like make the bag juices into a BBQ sauce, paint it on and hit them under the broiler until it crisps up, then repeat a few times.