Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Demon_Corsair posted:

For a game that really shines when you tried to play a focused themed game, it makes it really difficult to actually loving do.

What is the secret to being able to research the targeted gene expressions tech? I've grabbed engineered evolution, and research every genetic option that has come up, but I still haven't gotten lucky and drawn the tech I need to get the next ascension perk.

E: Gating the techs you want behind the random system is fine, but why is it also loving random to get a leader to weight the random techs to get the one you want. Having to blow hundreds of influence to hopefully get a scientist with the trait you want to slightly increase the change of getting the techs you want is a loving terrible game mechanic.

Are you Egalitarian? If you are that tech is 90% less likely to come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nucleic Acids posted:

I got hit by the founder species switch bug when I let another species have psionic enlightenment, and I've been trying to work around with a save game to reset it, and for whatever reason (I'm dumb) I can't figure out how to change the .zip file back to a .sav file that isn't broken. Does anyone have any advice? Because other than that I'm really enjoying Utopia right now.

You have to make sure there is no time stamp information on the zip. I suggest 7-zip as explained by the wiki:http://www.stellariswiki.com/Save-game_editing

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I just learned today why Omega Theory never showed up in my Horizon Signal save. I'm amazed anything in this game approximates "working as intended" :sigh:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Any goon-approved post-Utopia mods? The Workshop seems pretty scattershot and I don't want to waste time figuring out what's good and what's poo poo. I'm not looking for anything too intensive, just a boost to megastructures more than anything.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I'm curious if I should even continue a game I've been playing. I have about 100k combined fleet, however the rest of the galaxy hates me for Genocide. That's not really a problem and I could curb stomp everyone except the awakened, the problem is Unbidden marching across the galaxy and no one will let me get close enough to them to help engage. I see about 3 90k fleets heading my direction so I kind of consider it a guaranteed loss.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

LegoMan posted:

I'm curious if I should even continue a game I've been playing. I have about 100k combined fleet, however the rest of the galaxy hates me for Genocide. That's not really a problem and I could curb stomp everyone except the awakened, the problem is Unbidden marching across the galaxy and no one will let me get close enough to them to help engage. I see about 3 90k fleets heading my direction so I kind of consider it a guaranteed loss.

If your fleets are designed for anti-unbidden combat and you fight them individually you'll do just fine.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

This 800 star, 200% hab with 24 civs and no FE or advanced starts on hard is pretty dang crazy. I think this is the most fun game I've had in ages.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Jabarto posted:

Are you Egalitarian? If you are that tech is 90% less likely to come up.

That was probably it. It popped eventually, so now I can continue bringing permanent peace to the galaxy by genemodding everyone to get along.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Synthetic evolution is really unsatisfying. I like playing materialists who are also egalitarian and xenophile, with a nice multicultural population. Turning them all into robots is so... boring.

In Ian M Banks' Culture series there's something called Subliming where an advanced civilization decides to transcend the material world into another plane of existence. All at once. Together. And I remember the (egalitarian, materialistic) Culture was kind of mistrustful of this. They were more than advanced enough to Sublime, but they had poo poo to do in the real world, and they always felt it must be somehow be coercive for an entire species to Sublime all at once.

That's how I feel about Synthetic Evolution. Okay, it's a great idea, and I would love to give that option to my people... but enforcing it on everyone, even all the aliens and non-materialists who have joined my pluralistic society, feels really inegalitarian.

I love going for The Flesh is Weak, as I can imagine there's a diverse population using cybernetics however they please and on average giving me those bonuses, but full robot is way too authoritarian for me to stomach.

I wish there was some sort of way to benefit from going step one, but not step two of an ascension path- like you get to go to the first step of another one, but you can't get the final rank without going all in. I would love to split the first rank of biological ascension and cybernetics, especially as I tend to end up doing a lot of gene modding to make new people who come to my empire cybernetic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just getting the flesh is weak is all you need. Cyborgs and non-cyborgs and synths all living together in harmony in a big cool culture-like society.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Well this is a rather silly design. You know how you can get a patron through the shroud? The way it checks to see if you successfully contact one is, if you don't have a 'chosen one' leader, it first randomly assigns you a high, medium, or low chance of success (33% chance of each outcome), and then has a 70% chance of success if high, a 50% chance if medium, and a 30% chance if low.

This, of course, is precisely identical to skipping the first part and just giving you a 50% chance of success.

I also, huh. I wonder if they messed this up. Failure chance is split between regular failure and critical failure...but they way it's set up, critical failure is more likely than regular failure, which doesn't sound quite right.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 30, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Just getting the flesh is weak is all you need. Cyborgs and non-cyborgs and synths all living together in harmony in a big cool culture-like society.
Yeah, that's what I end up doing. It's great.

All my other ascension perks focus on building space colonies and so on, and all is well roleplay-wise.

It just feels weird, gameplay-wise, to lock myself out of the other ascension paths without any plans to finish the one I technically started.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Eiba posted:

That's how I feel about Synthetic Evolution. Okay, it's a great idea, and I would love to give that option to my people... but enforcing it on everyone, even all the aliens and non-materialists who have joined my pluralistic society, feels really inegalitarian.

It'd be cool if you could set whether to allow synths and cyborgs as a species policy. You could keep some species organic to reduce costs or because you like their traits as they are, encourage it for others so they slowly transform, and make it mandatory if you want to be the Cybermen...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Synthetic ascension should be something that only the members of a materialist faction does. In fact you could do it so that they don't become regular synths but *better* synths so that synths you construct are inferior to the ones that convert from organics.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
That's a big part of my problem with both mechanical and biological ascensions; they either implicitly or explicitly require you to be a despot to get the most out of them. Psionics don't feel very satisfying to me because of the spiritualism requirement and how incredibly random it is, but otherwise is the one that fits my playstyle the best.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

LegoMan posted:

Nah you're fine. Make sure you've built your fleets around kinetic weapons, then just sit around and wait. The Unbidden aren't playing to win, so they won't make a concerted attempt to wipe you out or anything. Just sit back and let them genocide the rest of the galaxy for you.

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010
Just updated my ground combat replacement mod to a new version: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911546934

I've added in a manpower system to help with planets being auto-captured through events. I've overwritten those base game events that spawn in hostile armies to instead throw the planet's controller an event to either send the army or give in to the demands. Fighting is a guaranteed victory, but reduces your manpower. This is represented through country modifiers - as you lose more and more troops you gain unrest and eventually also lose planet fortifications as the skeleton crew gets stretched to breaking point.

Manpower recovers gradually through an event that fires on average once a year; more often if you're way understaffed or Militarist. You can also get your manpower increased above the limit by the Shroud event that in the base game gives you a super-powered army.

Also in this version are Siegebreak events. After the first month of bombarding a planet, there is an increasing chance for one of these events to fire. They give you an opportunity to try and capture the planet immediately or make it easier to integrate into your empire. There are currently 3 branches of Siegebreak events: ones for Xenophiles, Xenophobes, and a generic set anyone can do. I'm planning to do more in the future: one for every ethos plus hive minds. In the generic set, which you can choose to go to from any of the other sets, you can also risk manpower in an attempt to capture the planet.

Any comments, criticisms, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jacque Pott fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 30, 2017

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Jacque Pott posted:

Just updated my ground combat replacement mod to a new version: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911546934

I've added in a manpower system to help with planets being auto-captured through events. I've overwritten those base game events that spawn in hostile armies to instead throw the planet's controller an event to either send the army or give in to the demands. Fighting is a guaranteed victory, but reduces your manpower. This is represented through country modifiers - as you lose more and more troops you gain unrest and eventually also lost planet fortifications as the skeleton crew gets stretched to breaking point.

I can't check this out today, but it sounds fantastic. You're doing God's work.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Eiba posted:

Synthetic evolution is really unsatisfying. I like playing materialists who are also egalitarian and xenophile, with a nice multicultural population. Turning them all into robots is so... boring.

In Ian M Banks' Culture series there's something called Subliming where an advanced civilization decides to transcend the material world into another plane of existence. All at once. Together. And I remember the (egalitarian, materialistic) Culture was kind of mistrustful of this. They were more than advanced enough to Sublime, but they had poo poo to do in the real world, and they always felt it must be somehow be coercive for an entire species to Sublime all at once.

I love going for The Flesh is Weak, as I can imagine there's a diverse population using cybernetics however they please and on average giving me those bonuses, but full robot is way too authoritarian for me to stomach.

I wish there was some sort of way to benefit from going step one, but not step two of an ascension path- like you get to go to the first step of another one, but you can't get the final rank without going all in. I would love to split the first rank of biological ascension and cybernetics, especially as I tend to end up doing a lot of gene modding to make new people who come to my empire cybernetic.

It's maybe worth noting, though, that the event text for the flesh is weak says that the cybernetic enhancements would be "mandatory but free", as if getting your eyes forcibly ripped out and replaced with new models which probably have a SpaceNSA-required backdoor which allows them to be turned off remotely is a-ok as long as you don't have to pay for it.

Plus you'd probably have to make an In-Head Purchase to remove the ads.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lol if you don't run uBlock on your eyes. Even if it voids the guarantee.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm okay with the genetic one. I guess why wouldn't you want to be a perfect example of your species? Especially when everyone else does it and it's the crowning thing of your entire civilization.
I'm sure there would be people who aren't interested (like people who refuse the internet now) but they'd be a pretty small minority, you can just say they carry on being deviant sedentary repugnant blobs until they die but they're not directly represented.

I do wish the game had a skin for robots though. I can't bring myself to do the robot one because I'm not going to be space slugs any more. I know there's a mod but I want it to be offical!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My first Utopia game I got the Horizon Signal chain fairly early and it turned all 10 normally useless planets in my slightly larger Sol system into Tomb Worlds which meant that suddenly my home system fit like 60 pops. Anyway it also made ALL of my main species tomb world preference. Then I finished the cyborg project and had 100% for all planet types. Why even become synths when cyborg pops are cheaper and nearly as good.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Larry Parrish posted:

My first Utopia game I got the Horizon Signal chain fairly early and it turned all 10 normally useless planets in my slightly larger Sol system into Tomb Worlds which meant that suddenly my home system fit like 60 pops. Anyway it also made ALL of my main species tomb world preference. Then I finished the cyborg project and had 100% for all planet types. Why even become synths when cyborg pops are cheaper and nearly as good.

In every materialist game i've played since my first where I went full synth, I've stuck with cyborg. The hassle of all your defensive troops being converted to attacking armies and clogging up your army screen with a million entries and losing all species flavour in your empire just doesn't seem worth it to me

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Larry Parrish posted:

I'd be fine with it if robot pops at least auto grew if you've gone full robot ascension.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'd be fine with it if robot pops at least auto grew if you've gone full robot ascension.

Yeah, this really should be the case - robot ascension should mean robot pops auto build like normal pops.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Bohemian Nights posted:

In every materialist game i've played since my first where I went full synth, I've stuck with cyborg. The hassle of all your defensive troops being converted to attacking armies and clogging up your army screen with a million entries and losing all species flavour in your empire just doesn't seem worth it to me

In my recent game I ultimately only went full beep-beep because I had managed to reach that tech without a single leader dying of old age and I didn't want to break that streak.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Chalks posted:

Yeah, this really should be the case - robot ascension should mean robot pops auto build like normal pops.

Should be a synethics rights thing, letting robots build their own children allowed or not.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

Should be a synethics rights thing, letting robots build their own children allowed or not.

And also recruiting defensive armies from synths.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Chalks posted:

Also if Sector AI stopped building farms for their Robots.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I think an AI empire must have been given some ships by a Fallen Empire, such actually turned out to be super delightful for me. They were super tiny and equivalent in tech while I was on tier 2 equipment, but after winning a battle I noticed the debris happened to contain Zero Point Power, Neutronium Armor, Kinetic Artillery, Tachyon Sensors, etc. Turns out it's really fun to bootstrap yourself to the top of the tech tree sixty years into the game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

NihilCredo posted:

In my recent game I ultimately only went full beep-beep because I had managed to reach that tech without a single leader dying of old age and I didn't want to break that streak.

Did you have venerable? I can't see how else you'd manage it!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Xae posted:

Also if Sector AI stopped building farms for their Robots.
Amish robots.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Taear posted:

I can see it being doable if you get a little lucky with life-extending techs and keeping your unity and science costs low while producing as much of those as you can. There's actually quite a few ways you can extend leader lifetime fairly early in the game, such as one of the first picks on the harmony tradition.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The Unbidden appeared and I've been fighting them. I could handle single stacks, but now they've started double stacking. An empire awakened but isn't doing anything. Is there a way I can kick the awakened empire into high gear? They've been sitting at home for years even though they are guardians of the galaxy.

The other minor races seem more interested in opportunistically attacking me instead of helping with the unbidden.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GreenMarine posted:

The Unbidden appeared and I've been fighting them. I could handle single stacks, but now they've started double stacking. An empire awakened but isn't doing anything. Is there a way I can kick the awakened empire into high gear? They've been sitting at home for years even though they are guardians of the galaxy.

One of their neighbors probably closed borders with them so they can't path to the unbidden and are just futzing about. It wouldn't even have to be a big neighbor, I find if all the hyperlanes are blocked yump drives won't always let you bypass the blocker even if it's a yump that should be physically possible.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I wonder if it'd be worthwhile for some sort of "biological processing" tech after you get synths that allow them to utilize food as an energy source and basically have synths become regular pops, or if that'd get rid of too much of their flavor. Maybe have such a tech unlock a policy so you can chose how to play it.

Or even just have a policy of "unrestricted synth reproduction" or something. Let synths build more of themselves as they please. I mean, among all the other authoritarian things synthetic evolution does, it robs everyone of their right to reproduce. Let us give that back to them, and solve a gameplay problem at the same time.

Robots and droids being different than other pops makes sense and is cool, but once you get to synths you've kind of thrown that differentiation out the window anyway so they should probably drop some of their now pointless gimmicks.

Alternately just give us an option for each planet to auto build robots until a certain number exist. Building exactly one robot at a time, with no indication that the robot is complete, while competing with biological pops filling up the planet, is not good or fun.

Reveilled posted:

It's maybe worth noting, though, that the event text for the flesh is weak says that the cybernetic enhancements would be "mandatory but free", as if getting your eyes forcibly ripped out and replaced with new models which probably have a SpaceNSA-required backdoor which allows them to be turned off remotely is a-ok as long as you don't have to pay for it.

Plus you'd probably have to make an In-Head Purchase to remove the ads.
Well yeah, the flavor text is totally authoritarian, but I do my best to ignore that. It doesn't need to be so authoritarian.

It would be cool if free societies had a nominal influence cost when modifying species- either cybernetics or regular biological modification- to represent the fact that they have to convince their people to go along with it. Non-egalitarians could do it for cheaper, and authoritarians would do it for free.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

PoptartsNinja posted:

One of their neighbors probably closed borders with them so they can't path to the unbidden and are just futzing about. It wouldn't even have to be a big neighbor, I find if all the hyperlanes are blocked yump drives won't always let you bypass the blocker even if it's a yump that should be physically possible.

I'm their neighbor and I have them pinned in. I never closed borders with them, but how would I check?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Taear posted:

Enduring, Intelligent, Natural Physicists, Fanatic Materialists. I was trying my hand at a tall game (3 planets for most of the game, 5 after terraforming) and fully abused PSC of course.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
2 things that make synths builds better: a mod called auto build robots that puts 1 robot on 1 empty tile per month, and making sure 1 synth is on every new planet, which bugs out robot growth to 2.00 per month. Synths higher production is pretty much the reason I end up going all synths in the end.

I also purge everyone so gene modding has little use to me.

Taear posted:

I routinely never lose a good scientist to age in my games, xenophobe/pacifist/materialist. Enduring your main species, grab that +10 years tech that shows up early in Biology. You'll get the flesh is weak before they hit old age, and synthetics before they get through that next 40 years.

I do shuffle them a lot in the first 30 or so years for all 3 to have Spark of Genius though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I think an AI empire must have been given some ships by a Fallen Empire, such actually turned out to be super delightful for me. They were super tiny and equivalent in tech while I was on tier 2 equipment, but after winning a battle I noticed the debris happened to contain Zero Point Power, Neutronium Armor, Kinetic Artillery, Tachyon Sensors, etc. Turns out it's really fun to bootstrap yourself to the top of the tech tree sixty years into the game.

Probably got a derelict event ship or two that had all the juicy bits.

• Locked thread