Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
They have officially made more videos about how much they hate Rogue One than they did the prequels. It's loving baffling how fundamentally they all failed to understand it, especially since Mike was able to grasp The Force Awakens just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Everyone is great until they make a video disliking something you like, aren't they?

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
The commentary is great. The hypothetical Po/Finn romance scene alone is worth two hours of loving hack frauds.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Everyone is great until they make a video disliking something you like, aren't they?

Best of the Worst and re:View are still great shows.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

'Internet Critic' is a misnomer; their purpose is to entertain. Either they do it by getting it right, or they do do it by getting poo poo entertainingly wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arcsquad12 posted:

They've made plenty. Just not 5 of them in the span of a few months.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Beefstew posted:

They have officially made more videos about how much they hate Rogue One than they did the prequels. It's loving baffling how fundamentally they all failed to understand it, especially since Mike was able to grasp The Force Awakens just fine.

But it's CONTENT

Don't you want more CONTENT

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hbomberguy posted:

But it's CONTENT

Some people are not content with the content of their content.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CelticPredator posted:

They've made plenty. Just not 5 of them in the span of a few months.

yea hell I think Rogue One is a good deal less good than Force Awakens and agree with a lot of critiques of it but the fact that they keep going back to the well is making even me get bored with the topic, especially since of all the valid comments to make (hey it's really weird how hard in the paint they went with the arab coding for the bad not resisting right people, and how they needed the civilized folks to show them the RIGHT way to resist and...die and be forgotten? Weird message!) they just keep hitting the same things that are kinda missing the forest for the trees in the grand scheme of why it's a weak movie.

It'd be like if the prequel videos focused entirely on how they didn't like the cgi, it's not that they're wrong that cgi is a crutch in the movies, it's more that there are way deeper issues they touch on, even within the 'cgi is a crutch' topic so dwelling on the shallow view is kinda poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Beefstew posted:

They understand it fine, it's a mediocre cash in.

Not much else to it really.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Some people are not content with the content of their content.

More like CON-tent :smug:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Speaking of kahntent, how about noted internet critic KOGaming AKA Darksydephil getting das boot from Machinima?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Hbomberguy posted:

But it's CONTENT

A little bit more PROTENT would be nice.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
I don't think they'd keep doing it if people didn't keep getting so upset about it. It's a vicious cycle.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
If they hated Star Trek it would be Khantent

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I don't think they'd keep doing it if people didn't keep getting so upset about it. It's a vicious cycle.

More or less why Brad Jones spent two years making Terrence Malik on anything, ever.

I don't know LGR, this crap seems as weird as Ninja Granny.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If they hated Star Trek it would be Khantent

It's only Khantent when Dark Syde Phil makes it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Lets talk about DPS's quality kahntent. His entire thing, he legit says his entire thing is raw, unedited footage. To him quality is literally saying whatever comes to mind, leaving in failures and the like. In a bid to test the waters and see if editing his work will actually work out in bringing in that patreon money. His edited kahntent? Its just a script he reads over completely unrelated video game footage. And despite it being scripted he can be outright incorrect on things, such as Tracer's rewind ability rewinding 10 seconds.

And the kicker? He is actually going to outsource his edited reviews to his fans, and he'll pocket the ad revenue and pay his fans in exposure.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Leal posted:

And the kicker? He is actually going to outsource his edited reviews to his fans, and he'll pocket the ad revenue and pay his fans in exposure.

He is such a lazy bastard. You'd think some trial editing and he'd get a routine for editing his stuff himself. I guess he can't pay anyone because he isn't getting much money himself anymore.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Leal posted:

Lets talk about DPS's quality kahntent. His entire thing, he legit says his entire thing is raw, unedited footage. To him quality is literally saying whatever comes to mind, leaving in failures and the like. In a bid to test the waters and see if editing his work will actually work out in bringing in that patreon money. His edited kahntent? Its just a script he reads over completely unrelated video game footage. And despite it being scripted he can be outright incorrect on things, such as Tracer's rewind ability rewinding 10 seconds.

Editing is not listed on this handy guide:

http://m.wikihow.com/Be-an-Internet-Reviewer

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bessantj posted:

He is such a lazy bastard. You'd think some trial editing and he'd get a routine for editing his stuff himself. I guess he can't pay anyone because he isn't getting much money himself anymore.

Whats even better about his laziness: His fiance, his wife to be (oh btw he proposed to her amid his crippling financial situation) has a real world job but he doesn't and refuses to get one on the side.

....... You know, my favorite whipping boy besides DSP, Spoony, is almost exactly like that. Except even less work is done.

Jack Gladney posted:

Editing is not listed on this handy guide:

http://m.wikihow.com/Be-an-Internet-Reviewer

Why does that have pictures of a credit card and bank statements?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Leal posted:

Until exposurebux become something you can actually use, destroy everyone who still does this.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't even know what the point of watching DSP is anymore, now that he has Twitch chat holding his hand through everything. A good half of his Demons Souls playthrough was just waiting for him to finish looking at the computer and get back to playing. It would've been funny to see him get surprised by a dragon, but noooo his stockholm syndrome-addled fans have to be freakin' good samaritans and do their civic duty of making sure he doesn't die. Heaven forbid someone play a video game wrong! Better to watch a normal playthrough that is just 3 times as long.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The other highlight of Demon's, apparently he'd go back to the hub and suicide every time he went human, because oh no, can't have some silly poo poo happen once in a while with someone invading, gotta nip that fun in the bud.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Until exposurebux become something you can actually use, destroy everyone who still does this.

I dunno man, Doug Walker got a lot of people noticed with the exposure he generated with generous donations of art from his fans! Also his coworkers for the anniversary specials!

Augus posted:

I don't even know what the point of watching DSP is anymore, now that he has Twitch chat holding his hand through everything. A good half of his Demons Souls playthrough was just waiting for him to finish looking at the computer and get back to playing. It would've been funny to see him get surprised by a dragon, but noooo his stockholm syndrome-addled fans have to be freakin' good samaritans and do their civic duty of making sure he doesn't die. Heaven forbid someone play a video game wrong! Better to watch a normal playthrough that is just 3 times as long.

Its hilarious that he made a remark of "I didn't look at the stream chat during my metal gear solid let's plays and gently caress people who thought that" and yet there are multiple times where he outright says he looked at the chat for help during the LP.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Leal posted:

I dunno man, Doug Walker got a lot of people noticed with the exposure he generated with generous donations of art from his fans! Also his coworkers for the anniversary specials!

Oh yeah, that artist whose name I don't know whose Deviant Art URL is on the back cover of a DVD that I can't remember the name of, didn't order and, honestly, don't even know what it contains.

YUGE exposurebux.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

lornekates posted:

Oh yeah, that artist whose name I don't know whose Deviant Art URL is on the back cover of a DVD that I can't remember the name of, didn't order and, honestly, don't even know what it contains.

YUGE exposurebux.

Poor content creator, died of exposure. :smith:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lindsey posted part 2 of The Whole Plate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srk-tPbQVcs

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Leal posted:

Whats even better about his laziness: His fiance, his wife to be (oh btw he proposed to her amid his crippling financial situation) has a real world job but he doesn't and refuses to get one on the side.

Yeah I don't really know much about DSP but from the couple of videos I've seen he does seem adverse to getting any job. He also seems to like the sound of his own voice, he talks for ages before actually playing a game.

Leal posted:

....... You know, my favorite whipping boy besides DSP, Spoony, is almost exactly like that. Except even less work is done.

I used to like Spoony but he seems to have stopped doing anything and I haven't looked at anything of his for a few years now. What is he up to?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bessantj posted:

Yeah I don't really know much about DSP but from the couple of videos I've seen he does seem adverse to getting any job. He also seems to like the sound of his own voice, he talks for ages before actually playing a game.

I used to like Spoony but he seems to have stopped doing anything and I haven't looked at anything of his for a few years now. What is he up to?

Well he is currently making exactly 800 bucks on patreon a month. More politics on twitter. Main website was last updated november last year, his youtube had its most recent upload 3 months ago. He seems to have converted to being a twitter drama monger.

E: Also yeah Phillyium can go on for days talking about the game before he plays it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Leal posted:

Well he is currently making exactly 800 bucks on patreon a month. More politics on twitter. Main website was last updated november last year, his youtube had its most recent upload 3 months ago. He seems to have converted to being a twitter drama monger.

E: Also yeah Phillyium can go on for days talking about the game before he plays it.

$800 a month for no content? The mans a genius.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bessantj posted:

$800 a month for no content? The mans a genius.

Eh, not really. He used to be pulling in a lot more per month. I want to say "thousands", but that seems awfully generous. Either way, he's steadily winnowed his support away over the last two years as more and more of his fans realize he is just never going to produce anything ever again. At this point he would literally be making better money if he went out and got a minimum wage job.

Though I do seem to recall Spoony Pateron Watch chat being outlawed at some point...

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

nine-gear crow posted:

Eh, not really. He used to be pulling in a lot more per month. I want to say "thousands", but that seems awfully generous. Either way, he's steadily winnowed his support away over the last two years as more and more of his fans realize he is just never going to produce anything ever again. At this point he would literally be making better money if he went out and got a minimum wage job.

Though I do seem to recall Spoony Pateron Watch chat being outlawed at some point...

No, that was Spoony Twitter Watch. Whole other thing.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't think it was outlawed so much as it just got really tiresome, even to his biggest detractors. Every "update" was just someone pointing out how much it went down, and someone else pointing out how long it had been since his last content, and then someone else asking what he even does anymore, and so on and so forth until you get to someone doing exactly what I'm doing right now.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean that he's getting the $800 for doing nothing. Yeah if he did something or put in some effort he could probably make a lot, lot more but then he'd have to put in effort rather than get cash for nothing. I don't want to start some derail where this thread gets locked from spoony talk or anything just wondered what happened to him after the whole meltdown when I stopped watching his stuff.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I've never heard of this person, but this video suddenly popped up in my suggested videos (thanks YouTube, you know just what I like :rolleyes:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srp-pPmCjc8

Apparently he's going to talk about each TGWTG person one by one, and judging from what he says at the end of this video and judging by the other videos on his channel, it doesn't sound like it will be favorable.

Judging by his other videos and the kinds of people commenting on them, he also seems like kind of a piece of poo poo, but like I said, never heard of him before.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have never seen a youtube person who regularly cut back to a cartoon drawing supposed to represent himself who wasn't also a giant piece of poo poo. It seems like a gimmick worked out by MRA types who presumably want to hide their real identities.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
aww but I like the I hate everything guy.

also the comments are pretty poo poo but I do love that grocery store copypasta

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Huh, I keep seeing that blank face wearing a black cap thumbnail in my recommends all the time. I guess I'll give this a watch and see where it goes. The last time I saw a guy "review the reviewers" though wasn't pretty. Quite bitter and I think the guy went up to Spoony's house when he was still in the middle of his breakdown.* Just noticed that Australian fellow, in the footage, what did he do on the site again?

* Well that's just from memory, can't even recall the guys name, just a choppy guy with a beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Baka-nin posted:

Quite bitter and I think the guy went up to Spoony's house when he was still in the middle of his breakdown.*

The internet made current Spoony. :colbert:

Seriously guys he's a broken man whose 'career' is over. I know we'll never get away from the dime store chris chan that is spoony, but it would be nice if people did things like just google if he's updated rather than asking this thread in what to me seems to be just a way to start the 9000th round of hand wringing over his patreon.

In good reviewer news Linday's Michael Bay series continues to be fantastic. Lindsay seems to have really nailed a great balance between the humour and jokes in her videos while still being informative and academic. Particularly her edit game has been really strong lately. I may be wrong, but some of it seems to be inspired by the way RedLetterMedia uses their clips, particularly the timing of the cuts, particularly when the clip cuts away just a moment too early.

• Locked thread