Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Argas posted:

Except Gordon would also suit up as post-apocalypse hell rider and fight alongside Batman

So something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

The crossover will be The Phantom Thieves continuing to say gently caress the police except this time the police is Mitsuru and Chie

It's gonna rule.

Zore posted:

Yeah. And honestly, I like Makoto's link overall. Its nothing flashy, but it does do a pretty deep cut into her character which is nice since the plot already has a ton of her being badass/team mom.

Yeah, it's got some good scenes. But most of my favourite parts of it were scenes that weren't really about the main story of the link. Though I think in general the party confidants kinda struggle a little in having a good main story for the link since most of the characters get pretty good focus and development in parts of the game.

Futaba and Yusuke's are probably the best about it (and even then for Yusuke I think that's mostly for how funny it can be), but I liked Ryuji's a lot as well

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hahah jesus, I get the whole "Ohya is drunk Yukiko" thing now. Exact same voice actor.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Just finished F&F6 and the last scene is in Shibuya and you can even see the walkway hideout in one shot

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

True, true. But, and this is going to sound very goony, but since the plot scenes never take into account your girlfriend, the S. Links are like the only one on one time you have, so that being spent just helping her help her cute Same Pencil Case Friend, felt a little flat, even though you spend like half the thing pretending to her boyfriend.

Just didn't feel it in my heart at the end of her Rank 9 scene, oh well

Yeah but even in your social links it only takes into account your girlfriend for 1 and a half ranks and a half dozen dialogue options of "u cute". The romance option is basically there just to date your favourite character rather than it being something built up in the confidant. So I think for the most part people just choose whichever character they like the most regardless of the actual confidant story.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, it's got some good scenes. But most of my favourite parts of it were scenes that weren't really about the main story of the link. Though I think in general the party confidants kinda struggle a little in having a good main story for the link since most of the characters get pretty good focus and development in parts of the game.

Futaba and Yusuke's are probably the best about it (and even then for Yusuke I think that's mostly for how funny it can be), but I liked Ryuji's a lot as well

Yeah, all the party member links struggle with that to greater or lesser degrees with Ann being by far the worst and Yusuke/Futaba probably the best.

Makoto/Ryuji/Haru I liked, but mostly foe the scenes about them. The main story of all their links was a bit 'eh' and they were at their strongest during the ranks where they were introspective.

I still have no idea why Ann's link is like 4 links mashed into one. If they'd just kept the Shiho throughline, or even had the rival model be a thing that was developed, it could have been good. But man there are a lot of pointless scenes and plot threads there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Persona 5's S. Links weren't as interesting to me as 4's were. There were a lot more misses than hits but the main storyline does make up for it. It's kind of true to life and maybe that was the point, but I felt a whole lot was lost by regulating a lot of team dialogues to a chat room rather than them gathering and talking it through. Be it during lunchtime or after class or something like that. Replaying 4, there's a lot of the later and about half of it doesn't even involve the murder mystery, it's just highschool slice of life stuff.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Gigante posted:

Just finished F&F6 and the last scene is in Shibuya and you can even see the walkway hideout in one shot

Yeah one really big plus for Persona 5 is that the game is outright a love letter to Tokyo, from a crew that I assume lives there and loves it

the places you go are more alive than anywhere in P3 or P5

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The group chats are my fav thing to this series tbh. Making dinner the night before and asking someone to eat lunch with you is cool, but Yusuke info dumping about the wrong Medjed or Goro and Futaba getting into fights over texts loving owns

Pablo Gigante posted:

i heard if you zoom in and enhance, you can see the phantom thieves there

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah but even in your social links it only takes into account your girlfriend for 1 and a half ranks and a half dozen dialogue options of "u cute". The romance option is basically there just to date your favourite character rather than it being something built up in the confidant. So I think for the most part people just choose whichever character they like the most regardless of the actual confidant story.
look man I need FULL dating sim routes for everyone or i cant live

but yeah that's what makes futaba's arc weird for me, you went on a fun character ride with her and now i gotta hit the eject button on this one

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Hahah jesus, I get the whole "Ohya is drunk Yukiko" thing now. Exact same voice actor.

I was thinking Faye Valentine more than anything.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I guess it turns out video game romances are garbage. Shocking but true.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

like this is the funniest poo poo to me, the group chats are so good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

On both the "Makoto's S.Link is all right" and "text messages are funny" fronts:

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On both the "Makoto's S.Link is all right" and "text messages are funny" fronts:

Makoto not understanding emoji was the tipping point for me that cemented her as best girl.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What got me to start really liking Makoto was to discover her tailing me in the rain.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I didn't register my Lachesis with Tetraja. I gotta fuse it back up somehow. :cry:

imweasel09 posted:

Makoto not understanding emoji was the tipping point for me that cemented her as best girl.

I might not understand it either cause they seem like just normal emoji to me. Does that sequence mean anything in particular?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Pollyanna posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I didn't register my Lachesis with Tetraja. I gotta fuse it back up somehow. :cry:

I might not understand it either cause they seem like just normal emoji to me. Does that sequence mean anything in particular?
not really, im sure you could interpret the hot springs as something if you wanted, but the hot springs emoji is one no one uses unironically so it's just the lovely guy being silly

Shoulda been more emojis in the group chats. Ann, Goro and Haru deeeeeeef use emojis

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pollyanna posted:

Stiff ol' Plain Jane Makoto is trying to relax and let loose like a kid her age should... Yes?

I never finished her link. Which I should actually do because I'm gonna go through a playthrough on hard and max them all hopefully.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 30, 2017

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

It's a typo. The keys are right next to each other.

That's a lie, but it might be true.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

not really, im sure you could interpret the hot springs as something if you wanted, but the hot springs emoji is one no one uses unironically so it's just the lovely guy being silly

Shoulda been more emojis in the group chats. Ann, Goro and Haru deeeeeeef use emojis

I am just going to assume noone uses emoji's for Yusuke and Makoto's benefits. This doesn't explain why Ryuji and Ann don't flood the chat with them before the others join, but it's what I choose to believe.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tokyo Mirage Sessions proves that Atlas' emoji game is strong when it wants to be

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I am just going to assume noone uses emoji's for Yusuke and Makoto's benefits. This doesn't explain why Ryuji and Ann don't flood the chat with them before the others join, but it's what I choose to believe.
They actually do, but they don't show up on Joker's phone. It's a little-known fact that if you're under probation, you're not allowed to use a character set that supports emoji, thanks to a law that was enacted after the Emoji Massacre of 2001.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Doing a NG+ Plat Run. I just remembered that they only put three safe rooms in Palace 3, and for some reason the last two are literally 20 seconds apart from one another.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It was really lame how they do that cool phase in/phase out effect in the safe rooms for some of the dungeons but then completely forgot for the others.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It was really lame how they do that cool phase in/phase out effect in the safe rooms for some of the dungeons but then completely forgot for the others.

Yeah, it only seems to apply to locations you go to in the real world and after Futaba's palace that just stops happening.

It was a really neat effect, but I guess they didn't want to have to render whole new environs that weren't used for anything else.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

corn on the cop posted:

Doing a NG+ Plat Run. I just remembered that they only put three safe rooms in Palace 3, and for some reason the last two are literally 20 seconds apart from one another.

The Dragonslayer Armor -> Grand Archives bonfires of P5

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Missed there was a spoiler thread, so I'm going to swing over here and repeat that the game was pretty good. I only really heard about the Persona series after 4 got big and I absorbed most of the plot through general internet video game pop culture. Not normally a fan of anime stuff but I have friends that are who recommended it so it was neat to try one fresh and see what all the fuss was about.

For a game that involves becoming super-Satan to fight God for the fate of the world, the plot was pretty cohesive, which is usually a sticking point for rambling JRPG epics.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

It's just to be friendly. It keeps you from having to go back up the elevator to save after every one of the side paths in the last section.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh, also going to add that the translation/prose could maybe use some work, a lot of lines felt clunky in a "who phrases stuff like that?" sort of way. It particularly comes across in some of the voiced lines where you can tell the voice actors are trying to find intonations and emphasis that'll make an awkward sentence work.

I had to post this, for the sake of my justice.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

FractalSandwich posted:

Joker's relationship with Kawakami is hosed up enough without bringing "mother" into it.

Dude, quote from a million pages back, but that also struck me as odd.

"I'm going to give you the courage to stand up to these people who are just abusing you for labor and money... so that I can abuse you for labor and money!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It was serviceable for the most part but by the end I found myself thinking "man, I can't wait to go back to a game where everyone sounds more like actual people."

The repeated use of words like "frustrating," "arbitrarily" and "aesthetic" drove me up a wall for some reason.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FisheyStix posted:

"I'm going to give you the courage to stand up to these people who are just abusing you for labor and money... so that I can abuse you for labor and money!"

Isn't that what true love is really about?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

FisheyStix posted:

For more than one rank up you pay her 5000 for her to vent her problems to you. I'd say she got a pretty good deal out of it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FisheyStix posted:

There is no money at rank 10 :twisted: Now here are some nightly chores for you to do every night from now until Dec.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oxxidation posted:

It was serviceable for the most part but by the end I found myself thinking "man, I can't wait to go back to a game where everyone sounds more like actual people."

The repeated use of words like "frustrating," "arbitrarily" and "aesthetic" drove me up a wall for some reason.

"Is this the rumored...?"

Every line of the Persona awakening scenes is amazing, so it all evens out to a Good Translation in my book

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't wait to Prove My Justice

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The 'overall goals' definitely seemed terribly translated. "Prove your justice/existence to society." This is absolutely armchair writing, but it just doesn't seem too hard. "Prove that the %20ThieveNames Exist." "Prove That The Phantom Thieves Are Just."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Have you decided to tread the path of strife?

:bisonyes:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Bogart posted:

The 'overall goals' definitely seemed terribly translated. "Prove your justice/existence to society." This is absolutely armchair writing, but it just doesn't seem too hard. "Prove that the %20ThieveNames Exist." "Prove That The Phantom Thieves Are Just."
Prove Your Existence To Society rules actually

so does 14 DAYS UNTIL EXPULSIONS

22 DAYS UNTIL PICS ARE LEAKED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Those were all funny and good.

• Locked thread