Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Zoe posted:

That said, I have a hard time keeping track of a lot of the details of Erfworld rules so I may be overlooking something.

It came up when Parson made his dash in the portal tunnel back in book 2.

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+2/110

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Phenotype posted:

I think now's a good time to hear more flashbacks about life back in Unaroyal. Or maybe there's another side that wants to weigh in?

I'm legitimately interested in hearing more about King Dickie.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Is executing people no one believes to be people, like, ten minutes early, really that big a deal? Everyone around was there specifically to watch them die to begin with.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Zoe posted:

Is executing people no one believes to be people, like, ten minutes early, really that big a deal? Everyone around was there specifically to watch them die to begin with.

It's the ritual that is important, not the deaths of some zombies. Magic Kingdom is loosely run by consensus of a committee, beyond that there is no governance. Going up against the committee which decreed the show and dance to take place is the real problem; in doing so, Buck not only risks himself but all of Dirtamancers by association.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
They also talk a lot about the Signamancy of the thing, because Erfworld wants people to judge by appearances. If something looks ugly, it's probably wrong somehow.

What Buck is doing looks ugly.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Actually it just occurred to me, was Janis aware the executions were going to be done this way at all? Earlier she talked about killing Wanda with flower power.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Whether or not it actually matters, Janis is doing this as a delaying action. If Buck's on trial for improper executions, presumably the executions can't proceed until that's settled. If she can drag that out until the start of GK's turn, then Wanda's goons can regain their juice and bust the survivors out.

Of course, that gives Deiform Isaac and bloodthirsty Roger a chance to throw a spanner in things.

Rand Brittain posted:

They also talk a lot about the Signamancy of the thing, because Erfworld wants people to judge by appearances. If something looks ugly, it's probably wrong somehow.

What Buck is doing looks ugly.

"It's all part of the Signamancy" is a really interesting line to me. Being occasionally compelled to do things a certain way because it resonates with an unknown higher reality must be a weird experience. From their point of view it must be like religious practice; from ours it's basically the definition of a fictional character's motivations, except they're aware of it on some level.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Whether or not it actually matters, Janis is doing this as a delaying action. If Buck's on trial for improper executions, presumably the executions can't proceed until that's settled. If she can drag that out until the start of GK's turn, then Wanda's goons can regain their juice and bust the survivors out.

Do turns work like that? I thought each side continued until they ran out of juice, moves and attacks, or the ruler ended the turn deliberately.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
When I saw the preview picture I was concerned that the scene shift was going to be entirely Isaac's point of view and slow the rising action to a crawl. I'm glad that the update was only a few panels and then we got this from Janis. Well done.

Oh by the way, is there any rhyme or reason to text versus panel updates? I know there used to be a schedule, but I think that's been thrown out the portal.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Galvanik posted:

Do turns work like that? I thought each side continued until they ran out of juice, moves and attacks, or the ruler ended the turn deliberately.

Yeah there's mentions of turns growing stale. I assume it's a deliberate anti-stalling mechanic.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So, huh.

I kind of hope this information is, at most, an incomplete perspective. The notion that Fate is actually something people create is potentially an interesting angle, but the execution is kind of wonky. Especially when it's delivered in an internal monologue, meaning that despite being huge thematically, it doesn't really change anything for anyone else.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

So, huh.

I kind of hope this information is, at most, an incomplete perspective. The notion that Fate is actually something people create is potentially an interesting angle, but the execution is kind of wonky. Especially when it's delivered in an internal monologue, meaning that despite being huge thematically, it doesn't really change anything for anyone else.

Literally every caster we've seen so far has been convinced that their discipline is the end-all, be-all of reality and that every other kind of caster is just playing with shadows.

I see no reason to assume the Thinkamancers are any less arrogant.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Thinkamancers think they know goddamn everything, and we've seen that sometimes they just don't.

Rand Brittain posted:

Literally every caster we've seen so far has been convinced that their discipline is the end-all, be-all of reality and that every other kind of caster is just playing with shadows.

I see no reason to assume the Thinkamancers are any less arrogant.

except Sizemore.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

So, huh.

It explains what the jester was in Jillian's mind and why Charlie freaked and called it the enemy.

It's clearly not the whole story but there's also clearly something to it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I hope the Thinkamancers have it right, honestly, because it makes for a much more interesting story

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

...that's true! Sizemore is up there with Janis and Maggie as far as having a shot at being the most decent person in the comic.

It's probably something like:

1) Sizemore
2) Janis
3) Parson
4) Maggie
5) immeasurably vast gulf
6) I don't know, Duncan or somebody
7) Oh, wait, I forgot about Bunny

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Lillith seems like she would be on that list.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Jed's pretty cool.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Has it ever been explained how turns work in the Magic Kingdom? Is it one big turn for everybody, effectively realtime, or do casters belonging to a side still take turns separately from the barbarian majority?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

NihilCredo posted:

Has it ever been explained how turns work in the Magic Kingdom? Is it one big turn for everybody, effectively realtime, or do casters belonging to a side still take turns separately from the barbarian majority?

From what I can remember of the rules off the top of my head: juice is recovered at dawn regardless of side, the MK is a single hex so most of the rules on off-turn movement aren't applicable, and all casters are commander-type units so they are not obliged to engage other units even from hostile sides. It should be effectively realtime aside from a few edge cases (repatriated casters don't recover juice until the start of their next turn?).

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Rygar201 posted:

I hope the Thinkamancers have it right, honestly, because it makes for a much more interesting story

There were hints that this is how predictamancy works when they had the link-up that shifted all the odds during the fight in the Magic Kingdom. With the Great Minds dead or missing, Maggie may be able to better inform Parson of all the hidden secrets the Thinkamancers discovered, because being able to game Fate to your advantage sounds like a game winning strategy.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

nimby posted:

There were hints that this is how predictamancy works when they had the link-up that shifted all the odds during the fight in the Magic Kingdom. With the Great Minds dead or missing, Maggie may be able to better inform Parson of all the hidden secrets the Thinkamancers discovered, because being able to game Fate to your advantage sounds like a game winning strategy.

Well I guess we're fixing to find out a whole lot more about how it all works. Or if Fate is set in stone then conflicts between predictamancers must really suck. Not only being on the losing side, but being fully aware of it and having to go along with it all anyway.

Of course that's all assuming we can take anything just said at face value.

Because it was interesting to, the emphasis placed on how everyone was standing so close to the prisoners, while Janis explained exactly where the Arkenpliers were and then the predictamancer led everyone clear of the area.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 29, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also, what happens if Predictamancers then make contradicting predictions. Roger is clearly making assumptions that he probably understands from the perspective of a Thinkamancer on the Fate Axis, but can't possibly truly grasp the whole picture.

This update was tense as gently caress, btw. And now we understand why the Signamancy was important for the execution.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I like the idea that all the perspectives work, from within their own perspective. Like, the universe is internally consistent whether you assume fate is predetermined or predictions create fate-golems that strong-arm that prediction... whether people are formed of thinkamancy 'g-strings' or those g-strings are just the titan's puppet strings that control people-'dolls', the worldviews work for all observable phenomena, and all the arrogant casters will continue to feel they're right because all these world models are compatible. And then the fight for people like Parson and Charlie to overcome the game system can continue, whether casters accept that their -mancy is just one workable worldview of many or not.

(Hi, I just binged the three comicbook-novel hybrids and the prequel novel, in order 1, 2, 0, 3. I should have taken my time more, this world is compelling enough to infect my thinking, but not something that I feel good about having spent so much of my last four days reading it. Like, I had to resist stuff like saying "signamancy" instead of "appearance" the next day after staying up til 3am reading it, multiple days in a row.)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If this somehow ends up with the entire MK decrypted via some combination of Charlie's plans and Parson's panicked reaction to them, GK will have effectively swept the board. Portals to the main city of every kingdom, an entire loving army of casters from every discipline, including most of the best in the world, with zero upkeep, the draining of talent from every side who had casters there at the time and control of what used to be the safe haven for unaligned casters and the primary means of recruiting them.

So, huh.

You'd think at some point in history someone would've tried linking a predictamancer with a changemancer, carnymancer (despite the ban) or something to see if it was even possible to change fate. Then again, this is a world where providing fresh mounts at waypoints to move commanders around was pretty much unheard of until Parson did it.

isndl
May 2, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

Then again, this is a world where providing fresh mounts at waypoints to move commanders around was pretty much unheard of until Parson did it.

Prior to the Decrypted, there weren't many sides that could afford it, much less need it. Spiraling upkeep costs keeps sides small, idle mounts still cost schmuckers, and there's very little reason to shuffle warlords constantly unless you have more armies than warlords and if that's the case you can afford to promote new ones. Parson saw an obvious loophole (reset your move with a new mount!) but it didn't do anything useful besides satisfy Stanley's ego.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
This is going to go to hell in a hand basket. There are so many balls up in this air right now

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Let's watch Roger trying to think-assassinate Parson, only for Jed to step in as the ultimate mindguard.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

isndl posted:

Prior to the Decrypted, there weren't many sides that could afford it, much less need it. Spiraling upkeep costs keeps sides small, idle mounts still cost schmuckers, and there's very little reason to shuffle warlords constantly unless you have more armies than warlords and if that's the case you can afford to promote new ones. Parson saw an obvious loophole (reset your move with a new mount!) but it didn't do anything useful besides satisfy Stanley's ego.

It's actually not bad if you need to cart Arkentools around, as long as they had it up Wanda could visit Basically Every Battle Site and decrypt the fallen and still make it back to the important army to provide her bonus.

isndl
May 2, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

It's actually not bad if you need to cart Arkentools around, as long as they had it up Wanda could visit Basically Every Battle Site and decrypt the fallen and still make it back to the important army to provide her bonus.

Yeah, which comes back to the Decrypted being game-changing because of zero upkeep. If they cost money to keep around you wouldn't be sending Wanda off to make units unless you were desperate for more.

I'd also be kinda leery of sending Wanda around for handfuls of troops because there's a known threat that is Very Good at ambushes (Charlie) and sending out the lone caster that's the lynchpin to the entirety of your strategic planning seems like begging for trouble. Just have those far flung units cart the bodies to the main force, they stick around as long as you keep moving them and Decryption ignores any potential decay penalties.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

nimby posted:

Let's watch Roger trying to think-assassinate Parson, only for Jed to step in as the ultimate mindguard.

The remote string cutting requires a high-State merge of the Minds. A lone Thinkamancer needs to touch their target to kill them.

Either Jojo or Charlie will try to carny-break that rule for Roger (doubtful even if it were possible, as he would have to reveal to them one of the biggest Thinkamancy secrets), or he's simply calling Parson to set up the assassination attempt.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

nimby posted:

It would be interesting to see what happens if Roger tries the suicide assassination and Maggie bodyblocks it. Would that be every high level thinkamancer in the world dead except Charlie?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Hob_Gadling posted:

It would be interesting to see what happens if Roger tries the suicide assassination and Maggie bodyblocks it. Would that be every high level thinkamancer in the world dead except Charlie?

Not necessarily. The Great Minds were barbarians, it's possible some sides have Grandmaster Thinkamancers still.

And Charlie isn't a Thinkamancer :haw:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

The remote string cutting requires a high-State merge of the Minds. A lone Thinkamancer needs to touch their target to kill them.

Either Jojo or Charlie will try to carny-break that rule for Roger (doubtful even if it were possible, as he would have to reveal to them one of the biggest Thinkamancy secrets), or he's simply calling Parson to set up the assassination attempt.

He can't kill him, but thinkamancers have lots of "tricks to render a unit powerless". Maybe when Parson accepts he'll get hit with something as all-consuming as the thing Charlie used on him to present a claim.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Roger being a little more subtle than expected.

But is he forgetting he needs the permission of the guy whose girlfriend the Minds just killed?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I don't think Caesar knows the Minds were responsible. Might be misremembering.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Zoe posted:

Roger being a little more subtle than expected.

But is he forgetting he needs the permission of the guy whose girlfriend the Minds just killed?

Roger knows Parson is a smart guy, so he needs to act natural in order to get close enough. Partitioning your brain helps in keeping up appearances, I'm sure.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, I think Roger's whole thing is that his mind is so effectively partitioned, that he's not pretending here. He fully believes what he's acting like he believes here -- it's just that a hidden, more important part of him believes otherwise.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I did not see that coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

I did not see that coming.

They're going to pop up at another portal, the free casters are going to see another Charlie incursion into the MK after his portal got blocked, this is going to be a win.