Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Have we done Savitar is Iris yet?

I think Savitar is Iris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

I think Savitar is Iris.

nine-gear crow posted:

I think we're all missing the blindingly obvious one here: Savitar is Iris. The one person Barry would not expect to be in the armour.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh my god. That would be so amazing. Iris kills a time remnant of herself in order to trick Barry into thinking she's dead. But really she just wants to break up with him, and is terrified of how he'd react to that.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

AbstractNapper posted:

I think Savitar is Iris.

We have. Currently we're debating the merits of Savitar being Katar Hol.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Longbaugh01 posted:

I declare this the winner...

...BUT WAIT A MINUTE. I totally forgot about this. So this is either a huge misdirect that it's H.R., or it really is H.R.

"CHOOSE!"

I was going to say Savitar and HR were in different places at the same time but then I remembered that Reverse Flash kicked his own rear end with a "Speed Mirage" that nobody, including Barry, noticed. So the show probably thinks it's perfectly plausible to have Savitar in two places at once, across the city, by running back and forth.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Space Crabs posted:

I was going to say Savitar and HR were in different places at the same time but then I remembered that Reverse Flash kicked his own rear end with a "Speed Mirage" that nobody, including Barry, noticed. So the show probably thinks it's perfectly plausible to have Savitar in two places at once, across the city, by running back and forth.

If you're talking about when Savitar kills Iris, that Harrison Wells on the roof has a BFG and that really isn't HR's style. Not to mention, and as I've mentioned before, there was a lot of focus on that in the flash-forwards, but still no explanation about that Harrison Wells and why he isn't even using the gun and just chillin' up there.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when jessie goes to fight savitar 1 on 1 HR is at star labs talking to her on the radio

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

8one6 posted:

We have. Currently we're debating the merits of Savitar being Katar Hol.

Savitar is Hawkgirl. S4 will be a love triangle between Barry, Iris and Hawkgirl. CW all the way down

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Space Crabs posted:

when jessie goes to fight savitar 1 on 1 HR is at star labs talking to her on the radio

Ah. Ok. Although I don't know why we jumped to the conclusion that it's present-day HR.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Savitar is Hawkgirl. S4 will be a love triangle between Barry, Iris and Hawkgirl. CW all the way down

Next years big CW crossover will be everyone wanting to get with Hawkgirl. Ray, Cisco, Barry, Hawkman, Supergirls sister and The Martian Ladykiller.

The twist is Vandaal savage is Vigilante and wants to hit on Hawk Girl some more.

Also Adrian Chase is 3 geese in a trenchcoat. All of them want to date Hawk Girl.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Space Crabs posted:

Next years big CW crossover will be everyone wanting to get with Hawkgirl. Ray, Cisco, Barry, Hawkman, Supergirls sister and The Martian Ladykiller.

The twist is Vandaal savage is Vigilante and wants to hit on Hawk Girl some more.

Also Adrian Chase is 3 geese in a trenchcoat. All of them want to date Hawk Girl.

It all ends in an epic 5-part miniseries crossover where Barry, Ollie, Kara, the Legends and Black Lightning are forced to team up with Eobard Thawne in order to kill Vandal Savage 15 times across multiples timelines and universes purely because, and I'm quoting here, "gently caress Vandal Savage."

ONLY ON THE CW!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

That's right, Black Lightning is getting a show! Have they said if it's in the Arrowverse?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

8one6 posted:

That's right, Black Lightning is getting a show! Have they said if it's in the Arrowverse?

It has to be, why else would they do a Black Lightning show?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

try the new taco place posted:

It has to be, why else would they do a Black Lightning show?

It's a pilot that Fox originally ordered a script for, but passed on filming. CW then picked up the script and commissioned the pilot, but who knows if they'll order it to series. So the original script probably had no ties to the other CW shows, maybe it takes place on Earth 25 or something.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

8one6 posted:

They've stated it would be self- contained, but we might see crossovers happen if it does well enough ala Supergirl

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Savitar is our collective disappointments in another buildup without a quality payoff.

Like last season, where all the stuff with Jay and Hunter and Zoom killing Jay and none of it met the hype.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Black Lightning would probably be kind of hard to fold into the CW-verse as the premise is that he used to be a hero and has teenage daughters who also have powers and that's why he's picking it back up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Savitar is Joe, and when he reveals himself he'll go, "IT WAS ME, ALLEN! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Savitar is Joe, and when he reveals himself he'll go, "IT WAS ME, ALLEN! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!"

:vince:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Black Lightning would probably be kind of hard to fold into the CW-verse as the premise is that he used to be a hero and has teenage daughters who also have powers and that's why he's picking it back up.

They retconned the JSA into existing, why is Black Lightning a problem?

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think I want to change my vote to this.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

They retconned the JSA into existing, why is Black Lightning a problem?

It wasn't a retcon, the JSA was just a clandestine organization that the public didn't know about.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just wish they did more with Joe. He's a cool character and Jesse L. Martin plays him really well but, I don't know, I guess he's seemed under-utilised this season. Perhaps I'm just still too wedded to my silly fanfiction idea that on Earth-38 (Supergirl's Earth) his doppelganger Commissioner Gordon and Iris is Batgirl. :shrug:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It wasn't a retcon, the JSA was just a clandestine organization that the public didn't know about.

They can easily do the same thing with Black Lightning, saying he was active decades ago but he isn't remembered as anything but an urban legend or rumor. I mean, even within Star City they introduced the idea that Wildcat was running around years before Oliver and just never got noticed on the level he did.

Fighting crime in a big city doesn't have to make you a celebrity, especially if you did it pre-camera phones and viral media.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When the Arrowverse began they clearly stated "no powers." Everything since that is a retcon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh, it seems more like the CW was gun shy after Smallville and never expected the Arrow-verse and Flash to take off like it did.

They've been doing "there's always been super powered stuff people didn't know about" for as far back as at least Mirakuru.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 1, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

When the Arrowverse began they clearly stated "no powers." Everything since that is a retcon.

When did someone in Arrow say "There has literally never been anyone with super powers in the world"

If you're talking about the producers of the show saying "no powers", that's not a retcon. That's not what retcon means

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's an editorial decision or whatever that they clearly just changed their minds on as the thing developed. Like I said, that probably had more to do with them trying to separate themselves from the stink of Smallville than any actual idea that 5 years later they might have an entire universe of shows built around Arrow.

The only in-show thing I remember was the Flash S1 stuff that claimed that the Star Labs explosion caused the meta humans. But even before then Arrow had established Mirakuru and we've been shown over time that Wells/Thawne was either wrong about that or just lying. The Star Labs explosion just caused a rash of meta humans in the immediate area.

Its kind of a classic comic book idea that they're using in the MCU and DCU. The "first hero" shows up and opens everyone's eyes to the "impossible" and suddenly they start discovering a world of them. The only real difference is that Arrow didn't expect their show to turn into something bigger while the two movie franchises had a design when they started.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

It'd be easy enough to fold him into Earth 38. Outside of Superman and Batman, there hasn't been much talk of superheroes in that universe so it's pretty open as to what's allowed there. It makes crossovers harder, but outside of a Crisis event, any reason to pull people over from one universe to another would've been moderately contrived anyways.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No one should go to Earth-38 because that's just unnecessarily complicated and only exists because Supergirl wasn't supposed to be in the Arrow-verse when it started.

Black Lightning should just be a guy who is an urban legend in some other city that isn't anywhere near Star City or Central City, which is enough explanation as we need for why Oliver and Barry have never made any mention of him before. Then someone can just say "wait, I've read/heard about him... he's real?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

When did someone in Arrow say "There has literally never been anyone with super powers in the world"

If you're talking about the producers of the show saying "no powers", that's not a retcon. That's not what retcon means

I have retconned retcon into meaning whatever I want it to.

If you disagree with me I shall retcon your memory to align with my vision.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that's an editorial decision or whatever that they clearly just changed their minds on as the thing developed. Like I said, that probably had more to do with them trying to separate themselves from the stink of Smallville than any actual idea that 5 years later they might have an entire universe of shows built around Arrow.

Hey guys, Smallville was not a very good show, and yes we make fun of it, but it ran for ten loving seasons and was very successful for The WB/The CW.

Xelkelvos posted:

It'd be easy enough to fold him into Earth 38. Outside of Superman and Batman, there hasn't been much talk of superheroes in that universe so it's pretty open as to what's allowed there. It makes crossovers harder, but outside of a Crisis event, any reason to pull people over from one universe to another would've been moderately contrived anyways.

Eh, we don't really know that that small little reference is specifically Batman. I mean it probably is, but I think saying "BATMAN EXISTS ON EARTH-345783857 OF THE ARROWVERSE" is jumping the gun a bit.

Rhyno posted:

I have retconned retcon into meaning whatever I want it to.

If you disagree with me I shall retcon your memory to align with my vision.

:laffo:

"I have retconned your meaning of retcon. Pray I don't retcon it any further."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Hey guys, Smallville was not a very good show, and yes we make fun of it, but it ran for ten loving seasons and was very successful for The WB/The CW.

Hey, you're talking to someone who is embarrassed to admit that I thought Arrow should have been a spinoff and Tom Welling should have been cast in the Superman movies. Sunken cost does hosed up poo poo to you.

But yeah, there's no doubt Smallville wasn't some unmitigated failure or anything. It was a success for CW. But at the same time I thought it was fairly clear that Arrow wanted to make clear that they were not a spinoff and wanted a clean slate from the bad blood CW/Smallville had with comic fans.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Bruceski posted:

Did they film the episode in 2016?

I thought it was really weird that it was snowing, especially since in the last episode it was perfectly sunny.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I thought it was really weird that it was snowing, especially since in the last episode it was perfectly sunny.

Throughout late December/early January and parts of February Vancouver got hit repeatedly by freak snow falls. Like "once a decade" type poo poo, and they had no choice but to film in the middle of it. It was particularly egregious doing the Music Meister crossover episode where J'onn, Wally, and Cisco were all fighting out in the middle of a seemingly random and heavy snowstorm. That was the production team going "gently caress it, we've only got one night to do this, so let's do it" because Vancouver functionally shut down the next morning due to the snow.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Smallville was actually a pretty good show for the last 3 or 4 seasons.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

The Lord Bude posted:

Shhhhh...

They'll hear you...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

Shhhhh...

They'll hear you...

I liked their version of Zod. Also their Hawkman was miles better than the unbearable Arrowverse version. They should have used him more, It's not like Michael Shanks had anything better to do post stargate.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I liked their version of Zod. Also their Hawkman was miles better than the unbearable Arrowverse version. They should have used him more, It's not like Michael Shanks had anything better to do post stargate.

Isn't he the lead on Saving Hope?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm beyond Death's Stroke now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Isn't he the lead on Saving Hope?

Now he is. He was doing jack poo poo when the last couple of seasons of smallville were on.

• Locked thread