Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Aghama posted:

If it's 2E I would be interested to pay more than just shipping.

It's 1E, sadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

How's the learning curve in The Great Zimbabwe compared to FCM?

I haven't played FCM, but Zimbabwe is really simple to learn.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Bottom Liner posted:

How's the learning curve in The Great Zimbabwe compared to FCM?

The logistics rules are a bit tricky but it's pretty straightforward once you grasp them. Certain cards lend themselves to particular strategies and it can be hard to get the timing of what your path should be aiming for until after a playthrough or two but it's certainly lighter than FCM. It's definitely not *light* though, it's ultimately very much a Splotter.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Do any of you guys have any experience with Dawn of the Zeds (3rd Edition)? I've been looking for some good solo board games and this one looks like a lot of fun, but the only places that sell the game have it priced at $80 or more.

I've also heard some very mixed opinions on Robinson Crusoe and, having watched a full play-through of the game, it looks way too punishing of a game (although that might just be bad luck on the player's part).

Mind you I'm also considering Mage Knight, but DotZ was designed for solo play and I like the zombie theme more; Robinson Crusoe I can more easily be talked out of.

DotZ is a States of Siege game. I own Ottoman Sunset and Hapsburg Eclipse, which are also part of that series and combine for a co-op or mega-solo game. These are more of an "alternative history" experience than an actual game. Everything is based on single die rolls, almost entirely unmitigable. Since DotZ replaces the actual history (which is well-researched) with zombies, I can't imagine anyone enjoying it for more than one afternoon.

I've also defended Robinson Crusoe here before as an experience. It creates engaging stories if you (and maybe also some friends) are into that and don't mind losing many more times than you win. The components and artwork are nice and the new rules are supposed to be a lot clearer. I enjoyed owning it for a few years and got many plays out of it. That said, KvC is correct to point out that it's flawed as a game. Even if your strategy is perfect, you can lose from a few unlucky card draws.

Mage Knight is great, of course, but takes forever to set up and play. Some other excellent solo games are The Lord of the Rings LCG (although if you find you enjoy it, you might start sinking a ton of money into the expansions); Scythe and Viticulture (Essential Edition) if you want great multiplayer games with very well done solo systems; Conflict of Heroes if you buy the solo expansion and want a wargame; Comancheria if you're up for a steeper learning curve; and any of the COIN games if you're ready to really dive into heavier/longer games.

I also just played a few rounds of March of the Ants solo today, and although my experience is limited, it seems like a nice light-medium game with a shorter playing time than any of the others I named (besides the SoS series), while still being tactically interesting and not overly determined by the luck of the draw.

CaptainRightful fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 30, 2017

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Gutter Owl posted:

Star Realms and other market row deckbuilders tend to play themselves more often than not. Even if SR lasts only 10-15 minutes, that's 10-15 minutes you could have been playing a game, instead of degassing a random number generator.

For recommendations, Dominion is still the reigning king of the genre. But I probably don't need to sing its praises. Most people in the hobby know Dominion, and know whether or not they like Dominion. That said, if you don't know if you like Dominion, there are plenty of folks here who would be happy to explain why you should like Dominion.

Puzzle Strike is very solid! Like Dominion, it uses a fixed market set out from the beginning of the game, so your game doesn't turn on a lucky flip. But, the gem-battling dynamic creates a lot of interesting interaction and counterplay, for those who feel like Dominion is too much like solitaire. (Those people are wrong. Or rather, a lot of Dominion's interaction is high-level stuff like pile control, which takes a while to see.)

Also, PS does solve one of my few problems with Dominion. In any given Dominion kingdom, two experienced players will often play the same strategy, with slight variations between their decks. But Puzzle Strike uses asymmetric starting decks, so strategies tend to diverge more. It trades this asymmetry for a much smaller pool of market cards chips. The general wisdom is, in Dominion you play the kingdom, in Puzzle Strike you play the matchup.

I haven't gotten to play Valley of the Kings yet, but it comes highly recommended by the general gooncensus. VotK fixes the core problem of the market row subgenre by eliminating blind flips. New cards show up at the top of a pyramid, and must filter their way to the bottom before you can purchase them. This gives you time to plan, and even a little control over when potential problem cards fall into the market. There's three standalone sets, all about $15, so they also fit Star Realms' "cheap and portable" category.

Last, Eminent Domain is a weird one, but well loved. It uses a deckbuilding mechanic to fuel a role selection/follow-the-leader game like Puerto Rico or Race for the Galaxy. The more you perform a certain role, the better your deck becomes at that particular role (and the worse it becomes at everything else). Worth looking into, but very unlike any other deckbuilding game. Also, you really, really need the first expansion, Escalation, to add variety to the game.

Also, the single best board game ever put to cardboard, Mage Knight, has a strong deckbuilding component. But if I evangelize Mage Knight any harder, I think I legally have to register as a church.

Thanks for the recommendations! Any info on Colony or other games of Machi Koro style engine building, or is that sort of game just generally bad?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

malkav11 posted:

I haven't played it yet but Aeon's End sounds about as close to that description as you're likely to find in the coop deckbuilding space. (which is not super large - most deckbuilders are competitive). You might also look at Shadowrun Crossfire (although I don't remember a lot of thinning in it) or maybe the Legendary Encounters games (but I don't think those feel much like an RPG). As was previously stated, Gloomhaven isn't a deckbuilder in any meaningful sense.
Thanks for the recommendations! Definitely whiffed on Gloomhaven -- it seems I drew the wrong conclusions from all the mage knight comparisons :v:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

DotZ is a States of Siege game. I own Ottoman Sunset and Hapsburg Eclipse, which are also part of that series and combine for a co-op or mega-solo game. These are more of an "alternative history" experience than an actual game. Everything is based on single die rolls, almost entirely unmitigable. Since DotZ replaces the actual history (which is well-researched) with zombies, I can't imagine anyone enjoying it for more than one afternoon.

(This is for the second edition, but he's even more enthused about the third edition, so)
http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/05/22/clear-the-table-for-dawn-of-the-zeds-a-zombie-game-you-wont-want-to-miss/

Just saying.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I'm definitely interested in how the Runewars Miniatures Game plays, but god Terrinoth is the most loving boring generic fantasy setting imaginable. It's so god drat dull.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dropkickpikachu posted:

I'm definitely interested in how the Runewars Miniatures Game plays, but god Terrinoth is the most loving boring generic fantasy setting imaginable. It's so god drat dull.

Yup. Basically any of their other IP's would have made for a better mini's wargame.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Played some new to me games today

Bruges - The most point salady game in the most bland of ways. I didn't hate it, but man is it hard to execute any strategy when all options are determined by card draws at the start of each round and dice rolls affect your income or hurt you with the threats. Just super meh, which disappointed me because I generally love multi-use card mechanics.

Mission Red Planet Cute and fast playing area control game with simultaneous action selection. A great 30 minute game that plays great with 6 players and isn't a filler, which is a rare combo. Theme and art are great.

Sushi Dice - Frantic little filler game where you and an opponent are rolling a handful of dice as fast as possible to match a card but also call each other out if you roll a skull. It's really fun to play fast as possible but also pay attention to the other player, like Pictomania.

Santorini - Played before, but this time with the Golden Fleece expansion. The new gods turn the game into a mess, frankly. The vanilla ones are all pretty well balanced, but these go too far and remove the elegance that makes the original good.

Sold a bunch of bad games for about $250, and also played some favorites including Masmorra, Arkham LCG, Mega Man Pixel Tactics, and a ton of Tak. Great Tabletop day.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yup. Basically any of their other IP's would have made for a better mini's wargame.

Yeah, you've got Star Wars for 'modern' battles, GoT and LOTR for fantasy (although I think at least LOTR already has a minis wargame?) and I guess you could do Lovecraft or Android as skirmish games

(Also looking back at it I'm mad that the fallout minis game seems to be skirmish based on FO3/4, I'd love a mass battle New Vegas)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gutter Owl posted:

But if I evangelize Mage Knight any harder, I think I legally have to register as a church.
Would you get tax breaks?

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've pulled the trigger on Mage Knight so hopefully I can join the bandwagon along with what seems to be almost every other board gamer. I already have Viticulture EE (plus Tuscany EE) and Terraforming Mars so hopefully I can keep myself busy when I'm not playing with others.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a big fan of XCOM, the videogame, and was wondering - is there anything like that in board game form? Turn based individual unit squad tactics sort of board game?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Taintrunner posted:

I'm a big fan of XCOM, the videogame, and was wondering - is there anything like that in board game form? Turn based individual unit squad tactics sort of board game?
Earth Reborn is pretty good from what I've heard but I don't know if it fits the bill completely.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Galaxy Defenders is pretty clearly inspired by XCOM in a coop-vs-aliens small squad sort of way, and seemed pretty decent from the few times we've played it. Big box of minis game, though, so pricey.

Weirdly, the actual XCOM licensed boardgame from Fantasy Flight is not that at all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gutter Owl posted:

Also, the single best board game ever put to cardboard, Mage Knight, has a strong deckbuilding component. But if I evangelize Mage Knight any harder, I think I legally have to register as a church.

Saying Mage Knight is a good game is no more unbelievable than anything else you'll get preached at you in a church, so you may as well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jedit posted:

Saying Mage Knight is a good game is no more unbelievable than anything else you'll get preached at you in a church, so you may as well.
How long has it been since you complained about a game that you got a rule wrong on? A few months?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Taintrunner posted:

Level 7: Omega Protocol. It's excellent, and a rare game where playing as overlord is just as fun

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

malkav11 posted:

(This is for the second edition, but he's even more enthused about the third edition, so)
http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/05/22/clear-the-table-for-dawn-of-the-zeds-a-zombie-game-you-wont-want-to-miss/

Just saying.

Even the designer in the comments to that article says: "I set out to design a game that is almost all theme - to the point where the player doesn't even care if he/she wins or loses." The article itself is basically just talking about all the times the random generators came up with different results. It's basically a random zombie short story generator which is something that people who are into zombie stuff will probably enjoy, but the lack of meaningful decisions and overwhelming randomness should also be pointed out for the people who might find them to be dealbreakers.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Tom Chick is the most out there, most contrarian, go against the flow reviewer out there. Take all his opinions with copious amounts of salt

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The End posted:

Tom Chick is the most out there, most contrarian, go against the flow reviewer out there. Take all his opinions with copious amounts of salt
So, what're the big BG reviewer stereotypes again? I know SU&SD still play everything once and then think it's the best poo poo since sliced bread.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played 4 of the most entertaining games of Space Alert today. We played with red and yellow threats only. Won 1 game :q:

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

PMush Perfect posted:

So, what're the big BG reviewer stereotypes again? I know SU&SD still play everything once and then think it's the best poo poo since sliced bread.

There's the guy who hates everything except his one chosen game/designer.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

Unless it was a Kickstarter game, in which case it's automatically overhyped and has too many fancy components.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Sold a bunch of bad games for about $250, and also played some favorites including Masmorra, Arkham LCG, Mega Man Pixel Tactics, and a ton of Tak. Great Tabletop day.

I'd heard super middling things about this one but really liked the idea - care to do a quick write up?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

blackmongoose posted:

Even the designer in the comments to that article says: "I set out to design a game that is almost all theme - to the point where the player doesn't even care if he/she wins or loses." The article itself is basically just talking about all the times the random generators came up with different results. It's basically a random zombie short story generator which is something that people who are into zombie stuff will probably enjoy, but the lack of meaningful decisions and overwhelming randomness should also be pointed out for the people who might find them to be dealbreakers.

I don't necessarily disagree (I've only played the game once so far and that minus most of the more interesting systems, so I wouldn't have much basis to do so), but I was responding to the idea that no one could possibly enjoy that for more than an afternoon because it replaces history (be still my heart!) with zombies (so dull!). Which is easily disproven.

I will definitely warn against anyone buying third edition to try to play it coop, though. It's a solo game. The rules for "coop" just split the handful of actions you get each turn among the players instead of having one person make all the decisions. But since there's no separate resources, characters or anything else that would give players meaningfully distinct roles in play, it's functionally the same as just gathering multiple people around a solitaire game and thinktanking what should be done. Which you could do, I guess, but it's hard to see why. (And that's unfortunate, because I actually play coop games but if I'm by myself 99% of the time I'll play a videogame instead because I don't have to set those up.)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

dropkickpikachu posted:

I enjoy the game aside from the puzzle-like bases. I don't care much for lore in my minis games as long as the minis look good. They have a :krad: skeleton on a caterpillar so I'm hoping for more cool units like that. Had a discussion about it in the warhammer thread but I'm in the camp of "forging your own narrative" by creating an army look and feel a certain way via the sculpts and mods you do to them.

The one thing I'm worried about is how formulaic battles might become since initiative is tied to actions. Depending on how many modifiers or unit variations they can provide for that, knowing your opponents' initiative possibilities for a 2-3 faction game will hamper it.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 30, 2017

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Bottom Liner posted:

If I had to guess, much like Descent 2.0 was for Imperial Assault this is an alpha test for an L5R miniatures game.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

HidaO-Win posted:

If I had to guess, much like Descent 2.0 was for Imperial Assault this is an alpha test for an L5R miniatures game.

Miniatures games are not my thing, but I still really want this to be true.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My wife and I played three games of Gloomhaven yesterday for tabletop day. I retired my Tinkerer and started a Spellweaver & proceeded to get rekt :v:

It was a scenario in which we needed to destroy four things, each at opposite ends of a large-ish map, each guarded by a souped up monster. I struggled to be able to contribute enough damage to help. Guess I have some relearning to do, I spent the game knowing exactly how I'd have proceeded if I were still the Tinkerer :v:

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Got in a good number of games yesterday:

In the Year of the Dragon
Navegador
Pandemic: In the Lab
Chicken Caesar
Cosmic Ecounter.

Of all of them I would play everything a second time with enthusiasm except for Cosmic Encounter The game just feels so sloppy and loose and that there isn't that deep of a strategy. Can someone change my view?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cheen posted:

Of all of them I would play everything a second time with enthusiasm except for Cosmic Encounter The game just feels so sloppy and loose and that there isn't that deep of a strategy. Can someone change my view?

I think most people here are pretty much in agreement with your view.

The game is total garbage unless it was the first board game you ever played and you're wearing a huge pair of nostalgia goggles.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

malkav11 posted:

...I was responding to the idea that no one could possibly enjoy that for more than an afternoon because it replaces history (be still my heart!) with zombies (so dull!).

Do you have any experience with the other State of Siege games? I had been interested in Cruel Necessity (reportedly the best of them). The idea of playing through the history of the English Civil War(s) excites me, but I'd been told that after a few playthroughs it becomes a game of memorizing and anticipating the deck (which sounds kinda boring).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I only got to play two games yesterday, a 3p game of Taluva and an 8p game of Captain Sonar.

That said, the game of Captain Sonar ended with both subs exploding, so that was a good end to an evening.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

malkav11 posted:

I don't necessarily disagree (I've only played the game once so far and that minus most of the more interesting systems, so I wouldn't have much basis to do so), but I was responding to the idea that no one could possibly enjoy that for more than an afternoon because it replaces history (be still my heart!) with zombies (so dull!). Which is easily disproven.

I didn't phrase my critique precisely. Personally, the only thing of interest to me in the SoS games was the historical setting, and I find no theme to be more thoroughly exhausted at this point than zombies (that goes for all media, not just board games!). But the "one afternoon's worth of enjoyment" was based on the flimsy core mechanic, not on the theme.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Do you have any experience with the other State of Siege games? I had been interested in Cruel Necessity (reportedly the best of them). The idea of playing through the history of the English Civil War(s) excites me, but I'd been told that after a few playthroughs it becomes a game of memorizing and anticipating the deck (which sounds kinda boring).

I've read this, too, but again, no matter what other systems and chrome they slap on, the framework is essentially a luck-based tower defense game. If you're looking for a game that takes an hour or more to play, why not choose one of the thousands that aren't based on a nearly decision-free minigame system?

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

CaptainRightful posted:

I've read this, too, but again, no matter what other systems and chrome they slap on, the framework is essentially a luck-based tower defense game. If you're looking for a game that takes an hour or more to play, why not choose one of the thousands that aren't based on a nearly decision-free minigame system?

Haha yeah, I tend to gloss over my intense dislike of heavy amounts of dice-rolling in games. Hell, if I didn't enjoy Eldritch Horror's theme so much I'd have hated the game for its core dice-rolling mechanic. You're right, I think I'll give their games a pass (unless they go for a heavy discount).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Had a pretty decent Tabletop Day at Games and Stuff in Maryland. Some highlights:

Wallenstein Big Box: It's Shogun but with a better map. Everyone enjoyed it including my friend's wife who normally doesn't like confrontational games but crushed us while cackling maniacally. He bought it and I'm probably going to sell/trade my Shogun since I don't see a need to keep it.

Cottage Garden: Multiplayer Patchwork. Very relaxing but man does Uwe love arbitrary scoring and penalties.

Beyond Bakers Street: A more complex Hanabi and unnecessarily so. We lost three games, even with copious amounts of fudging. Can't see myself ever wanting to play this again.

Covert: Seems derivative of Marco Polo. I was digging it but two other players were overwhelmed with how much fiddly poo poo is in this game and I don't disagree with them. Cracking codes, leaving breadcrumbs, programming your actions, needing to spend dice to accomplish your mission (the only way to actually move the game along), mission cards, poo poo cards, dumb tokens, impossible to read board: blech. I want to play again to solidify my opinion but Marco Polo makes this thing obsolete.

Elements: I've been on an abstract kick lately and first impressions of this one are pretty high. Nickelodeon could've licensed this as an Avatar game. Too bad that brand is dead.

Somewhere in there my friend won $300 worth of Blood Rage stuff. The giveaways were heavily subsidized by CMON and people were walking away with literal armfuls of Arcadia Quest and various Kickstarter exclusives. Me? I won a copy of Ignacy Trzerwkeridcksierzxz's book, a compilation of his blog which may or may not have been a backer reward for an unrelated board game. Yeah. Well if Ignacy brings me fame and fortune as a designer I'll autograph his book and send it back to him.

Andy Looney was there playing Homeworlds. Pretty sure that dude is high 24/7.

Walked away with Not Alone, Days of Ire: Budapest 1956, and Ad Astra which my friend regretted trading 10 years ago and I figure would make a good gift. The store bought someone's private collection of 200-something games which included the most grognardy wargaming collection that I couldn't bring myself to break up.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 30, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Turns out there's two Elements out there right now. Can you link the one you played?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I just want to thank everyone who suggested that Yokohama was Kickstarter worth backing. Only one game played so far, but everyone involved loved it, even if it took forever for me to clumsily set up and explain the game.