Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

FreezingInferno posted:

Still need to do a rewatch but on first viewing I'm very pleased that Doctor Who took a definitive stance of being pro-punching out racists.

Also Capaldi's speech to said racist a little later on was really good.

Well, Rory DID punch Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Two consecutive stories in which the Doctor saves the monster from the humans. We have a series theme building perhaps.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"I was being down with the kids, did you notice?"
"Yeah, my hair was cringing."
"Awesome."
"Please stop."

Hah!

Capaldi under good writers is amazing

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FreezingInferno posted:

Also Capaldi's speech to said racist a little later on was really good.

That was a legit good Doctor Who speech.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jivjov posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---series-10-special-offer-week-3

This is just happening every week for the whole season, isn't it?

I'm down with that, I'm getting to fill in some gaps in my collection at a pretty low price :)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So is Moffat's gift to us for his final season a good season of Capaldi?

Because I'm not sure how I'd feel about that

Like this is when you bust out the quality Moffat? I guess better late than never but Jesus

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
...was white-washed. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thin Ice gifs - click to view

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jivjov posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---series-10-special-offer-week-3

This is just happening every week for the whole season, isn't it?

Interesting choice to include one of the old Companion Chronicles that doesn't have a download available.

Thin Ice is easily the best story of that Lost Stories "season", so that's worth grabbing. It really went downhill from there, so you're not missing much if you skip the rest.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AndyElusive posted:

3 episodes in and this is already Capaldi's best season. It's cruel that this is his last but I'm enjoying every minute of it.

I find a Doctor's last season is usually their best. Probably a combo of having it down pat by then and wanting to give their last go their all.

Twelve is one of the doctors that's just going to get better with time (:haw:) once he's gone. He's had a huge character development arc and one of the best episodes in show history with Heaven Sent, plus an absolutely fantastic Master to play off of. He reminds me a lot of Three in that regard, although Pertwee's series was ridiculous out of the gate.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BSam posted:

Don't feel so bad about our australian Whovians programme anymore.

Is that you getting a shoutout at the end echoplex? if so that's pretty cool. Your work is awesome.

Oh, hey, woah.

At least it's giving Rove work.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Less than two minutes before the episode acknowledges slavery as a Thing in the 19th century that can't be ignored, and then tying that whole thing into a story that didn't necessarily need it but absolutely gained from it. gently caress, I hope this hot streak doesn't end and we just get a whole season of this kind of stuff, it's great. Even the Forest of the Dead guy's turned in a strong episode!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not going to lie, I was getting annoyed with the episode. There was a specifically interracial couple in the background of one scene, and I was really worried they were going to just ignore how loving ugly Britain, and especially London, was during that period entirely. It would be the most tone deaf thing to do, especially with Bill as a companion.

Thank God my fears were unfounded. I was really happy when they actually brought that to the forefront, because much like with Martha, it IS something that should drat well come up when going into history. And unlike with Martha, the Doctor was actually here to respond appropriately.

Like I don't expect EVERY trip to the past to feature something about racism- but London in 1814 was an incredibly ugly place.

Also they had the balls to kill a child character and not bring them back to life. So you know, bonus points.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, hey, woah.

At least it's giving Rove work.

gently caress Rove.

Tegan on the other hand I love the poo poo out of. Give her all the work.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Ditch Rove and Bajo, get Jordan from Axis of Awesome back as a regular. Just her, Tegan, and Adam with whatever weekly guest would be brilliant.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It really shows how much Doctor Who stuff there is when this is the fourth different Doctor to visit the 1814 frost fair, if one accepts all material equally. Also, this is the third time the Thames' freezing has been explained!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Please, no.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Thin Ice gifs - click to view

None of those links work for me :(

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They're just regular ol' imgur links that work perfectly fine here. Must be something on your end.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

It really shows how much Doctor Who stuff there is when this is the fourth different Doctor to visit the 1814 frost fair, if one accepts all material equally. Also, this is the third time the Thames' freezing has been explained!

It's like how the Titanic really sunk because the crow's nest was distracted from all of the time travellers running around. :v:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The Doctor makes a big deal about his quest to find Gallifrey in the 50th year special. It's the next big treasure hunt to cap off the big episode.
Then he runs into Gallifrey when they kidnap him because ??? and then he is angry at them (their leader) because ???. Then he leave Gallifrey and doesn't continue his quest to know where it is because ???

Could somebody fill in the ???s for me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lampsacus posted:

The Doctor makes a big deal about his quest to find Gallifrey in the 50th year special. It's the next big treasure hunt to cap off the big episode.
Then he runs into Gallifrey when they kidnap him because ??? and then he is angry at them (their leader) because ???. Then he leave Gallifrey and doesn't continue his quest to know where it is because ???

Could somebody fill in the ???s for me.

Because he is the only one who knows who/what the Hybrid is and they are deeply afraid of a prophesied creature capable of killing their race.

He was royally pissed off with them all because the Confession Dial is meant to be a solemn, safe, place for a Time Lord to make their last will and testament before death. They perverted his into a torture cell to make him reveal what the Hybrid is.

Galifrey was back in normal space, and they outright told him they were hiding at the end of the universe. He got the gently caress out of dodge because that's what the Doctor does.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Are you using the SALR extension in your browser? I had this issue crop up for some people before in the Wrestling Gifs thread and apparently unchecking the "fix imgur links" option in SALR will fix this for you.

If that doesn't help, when you click the link if it has a "m" at the end of the url, delete the m manually and try again and see if that works. The m indicates the medium jpg thumbnail but clicking it should automatically redirect to the gif file.

If none of that helps, no idea sorry :shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
That was a solid episode of Doctor Who.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Are you using the SALR extension in your browser? I had this issue crop up for some people before in the Wrestling Gifs thread and apparently unchecking the "fix imgur links" option in SALR will fix this for you.

If that doesn't help, when you click the link if it has a "m" at the end of the url, delete the m manually and try again and see if that works. The m indicates the medium jpg thumbnail but clicking it should automatically redirect to the gif file.

If none of that helps, no idea sorry :shrug:

IMGUR links should already be fixed by SALR, yeah. I "fixed" it by quoting your message and just manually copy-pasting the links, which somehow... works? Really weird poo poo. I'm sorry to have bothered you, and thanks for the gifs!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

Please, no.

"I'll get echoplex to mock us up a.... actually no, how difficult can it be to put text on a screen? :smug:"

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Three episodes in and they've all been good. Is this a record for a revival season?

I echo what others are saying about being disappointed that it's Capaldi's last season with the writing quality now being strong and consistent. It's Davison all over again.

Also, potential spoilery thoughts: I heard the sound of drumming behind the knocking. I wonder if it's Simm's Master behind the door.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Plavski posted:

Also, potential spoilery thoughts: I heard the sound of drumming behind the knocking. I wonder if it's Simm's Master behind the door.
I noticed they only had three knocks, which I'm assuming was very deliberate.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Plavski posted:

Three episodes in and they've all been good. Is this a record for a revival season?

Season 5 had a seven episode run before the Silurian 2-parter!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Three knocks, a regeneration incoming. It has to be a deformed version of the 12th. Behind the vale lies a yard.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Plavski posted:

I echo what others are saying about being disappointed that it's Capaldi's last season with the writing quality now being strong and consistent. It's Davison all over again.

It's got to be. I'm kind of blown away how effortless series 10 feels. A lot of Moffat's stuff after series five seems like he's trying really hard, and not really nailing it. The new episodes are breezy and fun without overextending their reach.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Lampsacus posted:

Three knocks, a regeneration incoming. It has to be a deformed version of the 12th. Behind the vale lies a yard.

I'm really hoping they might finally go in this direction after teasing it over the last few years again.

Wonder if we'll get some crazy twist where Capaldi will stick around another season, except he won't be the "Doctor" that time around.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
well, that episode was really made by Capaldi and Mackie's immediate chemistry. I loved the whole Peter bit.
and then the Doctor being really enthusiastic and complementary towards that petty fraudster. "In theory, I could steal ANYTHING!" :buddy:

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Season 5 had a seven episode run before the Silurian 2-parter!

It also had The Beast Below and Victory of the Daleks in the first three which are both pretty bad.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

cargohills posted:

It also had The Beast Below and Victory of the Daleks in the first three which are both pretty bad.

Nah, beast below is pretty great.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

My opinions of the Matt Smith era probably aren't the most popular given that I hate a lot of his more well-regarded stories (e.g. The Beast Below, A Christmas Carol, Rings of Akhaten).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Plavski posted:

Multi master story. Do it, Moffat. Pull the trigger and get Eric Roberts and Derek Jacobi in there too. I want to see Gomez :smug: it up with an army of herself behind her.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

I thought I heard four knocks. Isn't it always four knocks?

It's the Caretaker in the vault!

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 30, 2017

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

Multi master story. Do it, Moffat. Pull the trigger and get Eric Roberts and Derek Jacobi in there too. I want to see Gomez :smug: it up with an army of herself behind her.

Don't read this if you've specifically been avoiding trailers and stuff.

You know that a multi-Master story has already been confirmed this series, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Period" episodes like this (and indeed period dramas in general) should come with accompanying scratch and sniff cards so you get a more immersive experience. :D

Was just thinking, is this the closest thing we've had to a pure historical adventure in the revival? Because I don't think there were any aliens in this episode other than the Doctor himself (and Nardole) - the fish monster was implied to be a survivor from prehistoric times, wasn't it?

• Locked thread