Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Also with three different things apparently, which is nice because while you were getting the third thing the four year old just smoothed a jam sandwiched down on your counter top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Visually clean is exactly what I meant. Pristine stainless looks great, but even just humidity will cause it to lose its luster relatively quickly. It's an excellent choice for keeping things sanitary, but that's not why interior designers choose it. They choose it because of what it looks like when it's been polished. The average person who live with one for awhile will eventually notice that their kitchen doesn't look like that without putting quite​ a bit of effort into it.

Stainless is still a great choice, but it's misrepresented and mismarked by designers as a "a simple way to make your kitchen look great."

I have polished a poo poo-load of stainless in my life.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have four kids and they were small during the time you could not find a kitchen appliance that wasn't stainless steel. It was a dark dark time and I don't want to talk about it :(

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

minivanmegafun posted:

Yep. Anyone who knows how to clean a car can maintain a stainless countertop and likely has all the stuff to do it.

Eh, it's all trade offs and compromises. Formica's cheap and easy to clean but wears out, granite requires special care, solid-surface stuff also requires care or just becomes dull plastic and isn't heatproof, butcher block is actually difficult to keep clean (unlike stainless steel which just gets fingerprints)

We loved our quartz countertops at our old house for how easy they were to take care of

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
My old house has a good stainless sink with wings and it requires a wipe down at night that takes a minute. Even that is just so the water doesn't evaporate and leave filthy mineral circles.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just hit my white appliances with a damp cloth after cooking and it's good enough visually for us. My parents had stainless stuff when I was a kid and it again always looked fine after a maybe daily 2 min wipe down.
I wish my counters had a solid colour or were just white. It's fake stone and hides everything. I want to see the dirt so I can keep it like a spaceship

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Someone should make a roomba except for cleaning stainless steel.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

"I'm okay with filth and disease as long as it's not visible on my appliances."

:goonsay:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Prav posted:

it's a good place to die. easy to clean; won't leave any stains.

DIY & Hobbies › Complete bathroom overhaul - Is stainless the hill you want to die on?

:rock:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

FogHelmut posted:

Oh wow, didn't realize that water spots were actually filth and disease

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Water is mold that hasn't grown yet, or is that only in bathrooms?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Snak posted:

I suggested heating the rocks sooo long ago.

Dude. That gave me an idea. Don't use rocks, fill it with dessicant beads. The desiccant beads will absorb the moisture. What you do is have an extremely powerful heater and a system of blowers that will blow really hot dry air through the beads and dry them out. (Make sure you open the windows in the bathroom because the air will probably be well over 200 degrees F. And very moist.)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

brugroffil posted:

We loved our quartz countertops at our old house for how easy they were to take care of

I want a quartz refriderator.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I like my appliances to be black, whether from make or from usage :getin:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Burt Sexual posted:

I want a quartz refriderator.
Chisel all of your appliances out of solid rock

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They tried to make ships out of ice during WWII, but Home Depot doesn't have any fridges made out of ice in stock.

Makes you think.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

So if the go-to material for commercial kitchens and sterile medical applications is "a bitch to keep clean" could you please let me know what material should be used?
Accountability is equally as important as cleanliness in a commercial kitchen or hospital. If anything, the fact that stainless shows dirt and fingerprints so well helps to ensure that the janitors are actually doing their job. If cleanliness were the top priority hospitals would be using copper for its antimicrobial properties.

That said, I don't think stainless is a bitch to clean by any means. My appliances are brushed stainless and I just squirt some windex on them every once in a while. I like seeing that they are dirty, it takes 2 minutes to clean them and I know they are clean. The fridges I grew up with were a nasty ivory or beige color with an orange peel that was impossible to clean, I guess it built up my immune system.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

brugroffil posted:

Chisel all of your appliances bathtubs out of into solid moldy rock

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crotch Fruit posted:

Accountability is equally as important as cleanliness in a commercial kitchen or hospital. If anything, the fact that stainless shows dirt and fingerprints so well helps to ensure that the janitors are actually doing their job. If cleanliness were the top priority hospitals would be using copper for its antimicrobial properties.

That said, I don't think stainless is a bitch to clean by any means. My appliances are brushed stainless and I just squirt some windex on them every once in a while. I like seeing that they are dirty, it takes 2 minutes to clean them and I know they are clean. The fridges I grew up with were a nasty ivory or beige color with an orange peel that was impossible to clean, I guess it built up my immune system.

How often were you really licking your fridge door though? Visually clean gets the job done for any surfaces in a private kitchen that don't touch raw food.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think you guys are totally missing the point of what I'm saying.

It's marketing. The rise of stainless as an interior decorator's and real-estate agent's dream is a result of the pristine appearance.

Normally, in marketing, things that hide dirt sell well. Because they don't look dirty.

I'm not actually saying that stainless is bad. I never did.

I'm saying that the decorator and real-estate agent love-affair with stainless will fade as people realize that it takes work to keep it looking that good, as opposed to other options which hide dirt.

I'm not saying that hiding dirt is desirable, I'm saying that stainless will stop inflating value when people realize that keeping up its appearance is actually higher maintenance.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wonder how many people with stainless steel kitchens clean their kitchen windows with the same degree of fastidiousness? Also I hope people arn't preparing food directly on their surfaces because you should really have different chopping boards for different things and one for chicken all on it's own. :)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

WrenP-Complete posted:

A bathtub with different flooring around it... that is also in a hallway?

:eyepop:

Looks like MEAT's back on the menu

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

learnincurve posted:

I wonder how many people with stainless steel kitchens clean their kitchen windows with the same degree of fastidiousness? Also I hope people arn't preparing food directly on their surfaces because you should really have different chopping boards for different things and one for chicken all on it's own. :)

Oh great, another shill for Big Chopping Board.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

learnincurve posted:

This is my IRL kitchen sink

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

FogHelmut posted:

This is my IRL kitchen sink

why do you refer to your family as employees.. :capitalism: a step too far friend.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
This is my kitchen setup. It's very convenient though sometimes I get weird urges while chopping offal

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Time for some :science:

Since I have some time before I'll ever get to the point of actually installing my bathtub, I put together a mock mold garden to see how well it grows in my bathroom. I splashed it with a bit of water and will let it fester for a while. Will update as spores progress.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

Since I have some time before I'll ever get to the point of actually installing my bathtub, I put together a mock mold garden to see how well it grows in my bathroom. I splashed it with a bit of water and will let it fester for a while. Will update as spores progress.

Neat, what's your method for detecting the mold? The nasty stuff isn't always visible right away, especially against a dark background.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did you bathe in the water first?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Did you bathe in the water first?

No but my hands were dirty and the water was transferred with them, does that count?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

This is a great 34 page troll.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
One man on the internet spends $20k to destroy his bathroom and expose that mold is a myth

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bEatmstrJ posted:

Truthfully you peed/jacked off on them, right?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

Truthfully you peed/jacked off on them, right?

Keyboard goop post but with bath rock mold instead of keyboard scrapings.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
The trick is to install some heating coils and have the pebbles act as a combined sauna oven at ~ 150 degree celsius. Kills all molds reliably.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Holy moly, this just got interesting again! Can I send you some links of ways to test for mold and bacterial growth? :science:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

bEatmstrJ posted:

lmao

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

WrenP-Complete posted:

Holy moly, this just got interesting again! Can I send you some links of ways to test for mold and bacterial growth? :science:

Sure.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Great, I'll reach out to my sister-in-law, who is a molecular biologist and then circle back around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Wren, you should do a control study with your own rocks and water

Hell, this sounds like a group project while we wait for the OP's next thread about emergency kitchen renovation

• Locked thread