Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

22 Eargesplitten posted:

:goonsay: "Now that I've had the last word, we should stop talking about this."
Going to go back on that, just to call you out for being a lying piece of poo poo. Did I say that people are obliged to stop? No. I only said that I myself will stop.

Or do you enjoy being a piece of poo poo? Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

"Going to make a liar out of myself just to call someone else a liar"

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ohgodwhat posted:

"Going to make a liar out of myself just to call someone else a liar"
Fail to live up to my commitment, to be more precise. But yes, I own it because I am an honest man unlike him. Explicitly said so myself right in that post, didn't I?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I apologize unreservedly to the thread for my contribution to this nonsense.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Maybe put some of that constant self-improvement into anger management.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/68f206/the_death_of_hope_for_homeownership_for_us/ posted:

The death of hope for homeownership for us? (self.personalfinance)

I'm fairly certain that there is no chance that we, my partner and I, barring a miracle, will ever be able to own a home. But... I just need others to tell me that they agree, so that I can stop dreaming, stop hanging on to hope. What's your intuitive assessment?

No savings. No rich relatives. No property or valuables.

Credit card debt:$14,000

Federal student loan debt (combined): ~$250,000

Net income of 2 full-time positions with 3 undergrad and 2 graduate degrees: ~$45,000

Median home cost in my area: $264,600

Please, just cut my dream's throat --- you'd be doing me a kindness.

Thank you!
One of the degrees is in music theory and he's working as a caregiver :lol:

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Maybe put some of that constant self-improvement into anger management.
Yup, that is what I thought. Got called out, chose to deflect instead of owning what you did. I very clearly did not state a requirement that others stop, and you rightfully got called out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

One of the degrees is in music theory and he's working as a caregiver :lol:

Is it sad that at this point that doesn't even stand out as particularly bad?

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
I, a wealthy American, never had any welfare to help me

Except for the mortgage deduction
And the carried interest loophole
And lower capital gains taxation
And backdoor Roth IRAs
And a regressive tax system generally
And industrial subsidies, both state and federal
And a million other handouts that we just don't call welfare even though they are

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

John Smith posted:

Yup, that is what I thought. Got called out, chose to deflect instead of owning what you did. I very clearly did not state a requirement that others stop, and you rightfully got called out.

Dude, you're making it pretty clear that you're not willing to drop this unless you get the last word. It's great that you are happy with your success but success for almost everyone has included some element of circumstances totally beyond their control.

You brought up your parents. Did they stress the value of hard work when you were growing up? Was there anything else they did to set you on your current path? There is no shame in acknowledging that not everything was under your control, and the corollary is that things might have turned out differently had your circumstances been different. That is what everyone else in this thread means when they acknowledge that they have been lucky.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No way, him saying that he's taking his discussion ball and going home totally isn't trying to get the last word, and you're a piece of poo poo if you think it is.

I just want to point out that this is also the same guy who was posting about stockpiling ammunition and "assault rifles" less than a week ago.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

No way, him saying that he's taking his discussion ball and going home totally isn't trying to get the last word, and you're a piece of poo poo if you think it is.

I just want to point out that this is also the same guy who was posting about stockpiling ammunition and "assault rifles" less than a week ago.

As someone who hasn't been in this little bickerfest, here is the context after someone mentioned that this discussion is completely off-topic to BWM:

Subjunctive posted:

Fair enough, I'll bow out.

and then

John Smith posted:

Edit: I too will end here on this specific topic, since it is off topic. However, I believe my position is very clear. This belief that people are not responsible for their success or failure is what will destroy a nation.

Summary: Literally the two people who were talking about this said "you are right, this is off-topic, we'll stop" and then you goons get all mad about it. There are stupid goons, and really stupid goons, and then there are really loving stupid goons, and you don't even qualify for the last category because of how stupid you are.

Now read about Air Horse One and let's get back on topic.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 30, 2017

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

We post because we paid $10, and we work on our poo poo posting diligently. Making the right post at almost each and every reply. Moreover, we are autists and third generation goons. Our father gay, so what?

We make of this thread what we will (with the minor exception of those born with a touch of the libertarian). You, not the moderators, not Lowtax. poo poo-posting. Self denial. That's what this community believes in, despite the apparently popular tolerance of Reddit copy pastas on SA.

Edit: I too will end here on this specific topic, since it is off topic. However, I believe my position is very clear. This belief that people are not responsible for their posting is what will destroy a forum.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Now read about Air Horse One and let's get back on topic.

:ironicat:

The majority of the last page was on the same subject, and you just did the same trying to get the last word thing.

In the spirit of presenting BWM without trying to shut down the argument, here's the source for toucans being ridiculously expensive and generally BWM: http://adventuresintoucanland.com/2012/04/so-you-think-you-want-a-toucan/

I'm not going to say BWL, because what you do with your time is your own business, but having an animal that needs so much attention you can't even take care of it by yourself and work an 8 hour day seems borderline.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

22 Eargesplitten posted:

See? Still not owning it, I see. Tsk tsk. Guess you don't have the courage of your conviction huh. Instead had to make up poo poo to hide behind.

So... your point is that by unilaterally stating that ***I*** will not continue off-topic, this is inherently the same as demanding that everyone not respond? You this full of poo poo in your daily life too?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jesus gently caress give it up.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Hey I found something even more BWM than owning a Toucan.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

BWM: Toucans. $10,000 for the bird, tropical fruit for food, expensive toys that they rapidly get bored of and destroy.

Hey now, you can get a green aracari for only $2500! :pseudo: Even better: After spending all that money they only live as long as an old cat.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I;m going to have the last word on this incredibly terrible derail: it's over.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
E: not gonna contribute to this derail after all.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hey I found something even more BWM than owning a Toucan.

Two can blow your money faster than one can

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Two can blow your money faster than one can

:golfclap:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ITT people who have "made it" attribute it to their own hard work while people who have not (or want more) say its not (entirely) their fault. What's that phenomenon called again?

Edit: not trying to add to the derail, I just can't find the name of this phenomenon.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 30, 2017

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The first is self-serving bias and the second is a fundamental attribution error, two cognitive biases which generally operate together.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

baquerd posted:

ITT people who have "made it" attribute it to their own hard work while people who have not (or want more) say its not (entirely) their fault. What's that phenomenon called again?

Edit: not trying to add to the derail, I just can't find the name of this phenomenon.

I'm not sure that's what's happening here, since plenty of people who have "made it" are recognizing that it wasn't just of their own doing.

You'd probably appreciate Moral Politics by George Lakoff, which may not delve into this divide specifically but does examine similar effects in other areas.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 30, 2017

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

For the goons who want to look like they go outside and work hard without having to leave their chair or do any physical labour more taxing than moving a mouse, you can buy pre-dirtied jeans for just $425 and get that blue-collar look at white-collar prices:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Nordstroms just likes trolling people with stupid poo poo see the pet rocks a few months ago.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Yeah, they're getting good at attracting media buzz in the face of impending financial meltdown

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Enfys posted:

For the goons who want to look like they go outside and work hard without having to leave their chair or do any physical labour more taxing than moving a mouse, you can buy pre-dirtied jeans for just $425 and get that blue-collar look at white-collar prices:

I'll sell someone my used pre-weathered selvedge jeans with a tea wash for extra authenticity at the low, low price of $300. They even come with a stylish crotch blowout.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Eldred posted:

I'm not sure that's what's happening here, since plenty of people who have "made it" are recognizing that it wasn't just of their own doing.

Exactly.

I'm comfortable, but definitely would not be if it weren't for at least some combination of the myriad of things already mentioned by others that come along with being in the US, my ethnic background, my gender, my own diligence and probably most importantly the people I was around during the formative years of my life. I don't think you'll find many successful people who can't point to a mentor or mentors that they attribute their success to. I know I've got one.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Motronic posted:

Exactly.

I'm comfortable, but definitely would not be if it weren't for at least some combination of the myriad of things already mentioned by others that come along with being in the US, my ethnic background, my gender, my own diligence and probably most importantly the people I was around during the formative years of my life. I don't think you'll find many successful people who can't point to a mentor or mentors that they attribute their success to. I know I've got one.

You're mine, Mo :allears:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

ate all the Oreos posted:

Don't bring your loving children on planes until they're old enough to have self control, like at least 10 or 12.

Signed, literally everyone

This is pretty much why I'm stock-piling travel points/miles. I refuse to subject people in a confined space to small squalling children. I'll happily pay for my parents/in-laws/sister-in-law to come visit.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I just saw this article in theatlantic. I like this philosophy, that it basically takes two decades without a major mistake to escape poverty. That's obviously much, much harder if you don't have people guiding you the whole way, or a safety net of relatives that you can rely on if things get tough, or if you don't have poorer relatives dragging you down as you end up trying to help them out (and end up hurting your own chances.)

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/04/economic-inequality/524610/

Kind of like how black families tend to live in significantly worse neighborhoods given their incomes, possibly because they don't usually have those advantages.

E: I didn't realize this might be considered contributing to the derail - I can delete it if it is.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Enfys posted:

I clicked on the link and it confirmed they would send them to New Zealand. Somehow I don't think customs would like soil with gently caress knows what seeds in it turning up here. Seems like people could blow a lot of money and have their goods seized and destroyed. Although they'd deserve it for being loving retarded. Why not just work and end up covered in dirt, concrete dust and plaster?

DarkHorse posted:

I just saw this article in theatlantic. I like this philosophy, that it basically takes two decades without a major mistake to escape poverty. That's obviously much, much harder if you don't have people guiding you the whole way, or a safety net of relatives that you can rely on if things get tough, or if you don't have poorer relatives dragging you down as you end up trying to help them out (and end up hurting your own chances.)

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/04/economic-inequality/524610/

Kind of like how black families tend to live in significantly worse neighborhoods given their incomes, possibly because they don't usually have those advantages.

I've ignored whatever derail is going on. It's kind of bad that two decades of being GWM and education is needed to escape poverty. The American Dream shouldn't be so difficult. Something that's rather disturbing is the split of 20:80 for the working population between rich and poor. I'm used to economists (like Piketty) breaking the population into the rich 10%, middle class 40% and lower class 50%. It sounds like the US has turned into an economic and social train wreck.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 1, 2017

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Pffft Air Horse One. Looks like those horses are flying coach. I want to see business class.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

Pffft Air Horse One. Looks like those horses are flying coach. I want to see business class.

Those horses better be dressed business casual. And if it's really Air Force One, it better have a hospital, a situation room, and a missile defense system.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

theHUNGERian posted:

Those horses better be dressed business casual. And if it's really Air Force One, it better have a hospital, a situation room, and a missile defense system.

Horse thinks about a history of failed nation building and foreign policy. Dies.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

Horse thinks about a history of failed nation building and foreign policy. Dies.

That's why we also have a vice Horse, a Horse of defense, a Horse of state, ... .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Here is what my screen looks like:

Really cuts down on the frustration. Can't recommend it enough.

I've got some old jeans covered in brake fluid, how much you think those would sell for?

• Locked thread