Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harlock posted:

On the other hand I can see everything the game has to offer without going through 50 hours twice

Did you hammer through every dialogue or something, because otherwise 50 hours seems pretty quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I assume that gun skills go off the attack value of your gun and Haru's gun skills are good.

This actually made me realize that I spent 100 hours with this game without really understanding what any of the combat stats actually do

Weapons only apply their stats to normal attacks. Any skills only care about Str/Mag

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harlock posted:

On the other hand I can see everything the game has to offer without going through 50 hours twice
you can do that anyway. maxing every s. link in this game is ridiculously easy so long as you use chihaya.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did you hammer through every dialogue or something, because otherwise 50 hours seems pretty quick

You'd have to really skip a lot of poo poo to get through P5 in only 50 hours. Unless it's a NG+ run and you just crush through the Palaces with endgame Personas, I guess.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It was just a placeholder number

RME
Feb 20, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I assume that gun skills go off the attack value of your gun and Haru's gun skills are good.

This actually made me realize that I spent 100 hours with this game without really understanding what any of the combat stats actually do

they do not

all attacks use the appropriate offensive stat + a damage factor
for regular attacks and shots the damage factor is the wpn power
for skills its tied to the skill itself and is what light/medium/heavy/severe/colossal refer to

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So to improve gun skill damage I should buff strength?

Do the stats of the Persona I sacrifice to the gallows affect stat gain? I have seen people put 99 in a stat on Arsene

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RME posted:

they do not

all attacks use the appropriate offensive stat + a damage factor
for regular attacks and shots the damage factor is the wpn power
for skills its tied to the skill itself and is what light/medium/heavy/severe/colossal refer to

what about for the gun surprise attack

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So to improve gun skill damage I should buff strength?

Do the stats of the Persona I sacrifice to the gallows affect stat gain? I have seen people put 99 in a stat on Arsene

Nah, it's purely manipulation of what stats go up on level up. Before you sacrifice a Persona, you can see what stats would go up if the base Persona got enough exp for a level up.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Stat gains are random, but the gallows confirmation screen tells you what stats will go up next level and you can cancel repeatedly until you get the ones you want.

Don't do this.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Yinlock posted:

As long as you have even a midtier weapon you shoot enough times that you'll get the shadow to half health which is where the damage caps anyways.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Yinlock posted:

25% of total HP first perk
50% improved

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Speaking of rerolling velvet room levels, is there any reason not to shoot for all five glowing?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I'm in the late game now, have a quick question. End of November so spoilers for that in this here text block.

I just unlocked Shidos dungeon and it's telling me in big red text to hang out with as many people as possible, does that mean if I go into the dungeon asap and do it in one day it'll skip through the intervening time to like Christmas or something (seem to recall P4 doing this but it's been awhile?) Or is it just letting me know I'm coming up to not being able to do confidants anymore and so should try and wrap as many as possible up? Either way, is there a best day to do the dungeon and send the calling card on or should I just do it on a day when no one I can still raise wants to hang out?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Motto posted:

Speaking of rerolling velvet room levels, is there any reason not to shoot for all five glowing?

if you're making a persona that you know you're only going to use for magic it might be worth it to reroll so that Strength isn't glowing

dont do this tho you'll go insane

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I've fused this piece of poo poo with Tetraja over 40 times now in the gallows trying to get it on Lachesis. Please game I just want to finish strength and summon some huge dudes to beat the end with...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

So I'm in the late game now, have a quick question. End of November so spoilers for that in this here text block.

I just unlocked Shidos dungeon and it's telling me in big red text to hang out with as many people as possible, does that mean if I go into the dungeon asap and do it in one day it'll skip through the intervening time to like Christmas or something (seem to recall P4 doing this but it's been awhile?) Or is it just letting me know I'm coming up to not being able to do confidants anymore and so should try and wrap as many as possible up? Either way, is there a best day to do the dungeon and send the calling card on or should I just do it on a day when no one I can still raise wants to hang out?

Do it whenever, it doesn't pull any timeskip bullshit on you

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

You won't lose any time, it's just referring to the fact that these are your last free days.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Scorps posted:

I've fused this piece of poo poo with Tetraja over 40 times now in the gallows trying to get it on Lachesis. Please game I just want to finish strength and summon some huge dudes to beat the end with...

Fuse Principality, Electric Chair it into a skill card

Edit: Clotho + Regent should do it without needing to roll weirdly?

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 30, 2017

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Also could we update the OP with "Feel free to do Palaces as early as possible, the game will never do any timeskip scenarios after completing a Palace"

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Fuse Principality, Electric Chair it into a skill card

Edit: Clotho + Regent should do it without needing to roll weirdly?

I already used the electric chair foolishly and am on the last day. I got a clothing with it I'm gallowsing it just will not RNG me the right skill thru all these reloads

Once I get this one the rest of strength is easy but gently caress me this is ridiculous, probably shouldn't have waited :P

Scorps fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 30, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Scorps posted:

I already used the electric chair foolishly and am on the last day. I got a clothing with it I'm gallowsing it just will not RNG me the right skill thru all these reloads

Once I get this one the rest of strength is easy but gently caress me this is ridiculous, probably shouldn't have waited :P

Why are you trying to RNG it?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Scorps posted:

Clotho gets Tetraja at 27, can't you just use a Stone of Scone to upgrade it into a Lachesis?

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

How else can I guarantee it gets the right skill when there are 7? I can't electric chair again I said so can't make a skill card I don't think or does that only apply to making weapons with the chair?

Stone of scone + clotho is Atropos this says

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

But you pick what skills you want to pass on..?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dump the Lachesis you have and fuse Clotho with Regent again, you will make a new Lachesis and just select Tetraja to inherit

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I don't have regent (it's a treasure right?) unfortunately. I know you pick when you fuse I have nothing to fuse with clotho to get Lachesis I am trying to pass it the skill via gallows as a result

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Scorps posted:

I don't have regent (it's a treasure right?) unfortunately. I know you pick when you fuse I have nothing to fuse with clotho to get Lachesis I am trying to pass it the skill via gallows as a result

Then fuse clotho with something else you, which you can then fuse into lachesis

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I am trying to look up exactly that on the fusion calculator and all of them seem wrong since the clotho is not level 26 anymore idk why. It shows Stone + Clotho yet that makes Atropos for me

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Scorps posted:

You can do something like Clotho + Lamia gives you Arahabaki which you can fuse with an Anzu to give you Lachesis. Just pass down Tetraja each time.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

principality x jack o lantern -> eligor
eligor x unicorn -> lachesis

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Scorps posted:

I am trying to look up exactly that on the fusion calculator and all of them seem wrong since the clotho is not level 26 anymore idk why. It shows Stone + Clotho yet that makes Atropos for me

fusion uses base level not current level

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If the Clotho you have has been leveled, it will affect which stone you need to use.

Kikuri-Hime at Level 43 has Tetraja, fusing it with Leanan Sidhe will also get you Lachesis

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Scorps posted:

Regular fusion uses Base level. Treasure demon fusion uses Current level.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Had to run out for a bit but will try these suggestions, much appreciated. I already have everything silly for 8-10 just this one is a real bitch cause I missed a ton of personas so I'm having to refuse them all first.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Given all these reports about lots of leeway and free time in the game I continue to be amazed that I got nowhere near close to 100% SLinks my first go-around. I really suck at this game apparently. :negative:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Given all these reports about lots of leeway and free time in the game I continue to be amazed that I got nowhere near close to 100% SLinks my first go-around. I really suck at this game apparently. :negative:

I think it depends on how meticulous you are about getting the best answers to s-link questions

if you always have the right persona + right answers then you barely have to hang out with them at all before a rankup

Sojiro's the only weird one in that his early ranks take forever

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I mean a lot of that relies on metaknowledge and Persona experience tbf. Like knowing what things most efficiently raise your stats, having a matching Arcana, beelining for Chihaya's link etc.

Going in totally blind this game is incredibly hard to max out in one go, especially since there are so many activities that just eat time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yinlock posted:

I think it depends on how meticulous you are about getting the best answers to s-link questions

if you always have the right persona + right answers then you barely have to hang out with them at all before a rankup

Sojiro's the only weird one in that his early ranks take forever

Fortune 7 means you never have to hang out with anyone without a rank up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Pollyanna posted:

Most of the of the folks in this thread are roleplaying biohackers, as long as you enjoyed the game you're good to go. You have to play NG+ anyways to get all of the trophies, so just max out a few to make those links go a lot faster on your second playthrough.