Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cut to Ribbons isn't even the only aftermath in there, UR decks are experimenting with Reduce to Rubble as well. Wouldn't be surprised if someone's fishing for blowouts with Insult to Injury, either.

InterrupterJones posted:

Since it's unique, hopefully it'll get a deck tech video at some point. I don't know how budget friendly it'll be though, since Mono B would never not run some form of Liliana.
It obviously won't be super budget because it'll have planeswalkers and lands and everything, but the commentators pointed out how it was running a whole lot of commons and uncommons for the creatures. If I ever lose my mind and buy into constructed, I might start out with a budget version of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i wouldnt want to give money to someone who only cares about shittily monetizing their bad product, and in light of that friendship with king cob web has ended and wotc is my new best friend

thank you thread

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i liked kingcobweb and his writing but the high quality criticism in the last page has made me reconsider all of those positions and now theyre the opposite

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

out of all the bullshit that surrounds this idiot game we all play ragging on some dude who drops in like once a month to promote his OC seems like a stretch tbh

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Magic: The Gathering: gently caress your OC, post more LSV.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I'm not interested until he reviews Mein Kampf

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I originally envisioned this thread as nothing but Amazon referral links to individual blog posts, so

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

well thank god SOMEONE cares about integrity, thank you b j pask off

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
I hate to break up the current conversation but here's my first attempt at deck building. Bout a few toolkits through the past couple months and here's what I made. It won me a game with my friends but I'm gonna chalk that up to luck and bad shuffling on their part.

https://deckstats.net/decks/86151/720670-first-try

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Aftermath cards are considered the card type of both halves, right? So, while they might have fixed the CMC issue with split cards, what about stuff with like Torrential Gearhulk? Can I target an aftermath card that is part instant and cast the sorcery side with Gearhulk?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I am incredibly upset about one person posting his Magic: The Gathering related writing in this thread; let's go back to speculating on the marital lives of people who play Magic.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

Can I target an aftermath card that is part instant and cast the sorcery side with Gearhulk?
Yep.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

AlternateNu posted:

Aftermath cards are considered the card type of both halves, right? So, while they might have fixed the CMC issue with split cards, what about stuff with like Torrential Gearhulk? Can I target an aftermath card that is part instant and cast the sorcery side with Gearhulk?

Yes, you can cast either side with Gearhulk/Snapcaster: https://twitter.com/TabakRules/status/848969254737260546

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Hot take one day and 1 hour after watching the SCG Open

New standard is going to stale as real quick with Vehicles, GB, U/X/X Gearhulk control

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

80s James Hetfield posted:

New standard is going to stale as real quick with ... control

A good standard.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Blizzy_Cow posted:

I hate to break up the current conversation but here's my first attempt at deck building. Bout a few toolkits through the past couple months and here's what I made. It won me a game with my friends but I'm gonna chalk that up to luck and bad shuffling on their part.

https://deckstats.net/decks/86151/720670-first-try

Without knowing what you have access to, it's hard to offer constructive criticism here. There are better cards than Certain Death, for example, but do you have access to Murder?

The problem is magnified by the fact that kitchen table magic quickly develops its own metagame. Like, you're a bit top heavy with creatures that don't do a lot besides hit the board and swing for decent damage, but if your friends are having problems dealing with your 6/6 for 6, who am I to tell you to go out and buy a couple Noxious Gearhulks to replace the Nightmares?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I am incredibly upset about one person posting his Magic: The Gathering related writing in this thread; let's go back to speculating on the marital lives of people who play Magic.

:same: KCW could you write up an intriguing article about the secret lives of magic personalities? As much as I publicly deride him, I kinda want to know how many reenactments TWoo attends since he's obviously not playing magic on the weekends.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

uPen posted:

A good standard.

That Handy/Graves match was awful to watch.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Also known as the Good cards vs. bad cards match up. I guess casting Memory end of the turn using a Gearhulk may be good, but not if you are on the back foot. Also what happens if you draw 7 garbage cards that you can't mulligan away, and your opponent gets gas. Just play a good counter spell and Glimmer of Genius instead.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

You don't see the greatness of watching a player forced to expend two premium counterspells on two copies of Return targeting nothing relevant due to being at 2 life? I dunno, it's fun to watch a control mirror turn against one player as they're slowly ground into dust.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

New standard is going to stale as real quick with Vehicles, GB, U/X/X Gearhulk control

Boros humans is 9-1 so it's not all bad

Plus the cat ban came in really too late for the Atlanta tour, I imagine that every player on cat-combo had to just throw together what works with minimal testing.

AceClown fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 30, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Eh, SCGTour week one is rarely very indicative of what the the format is going to look like.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AceClown posted:

Boros humans is 9-1 so it's not all bad

Plus the cat ban came in really too late for the Atlanta tour, I imagine that every player on cat-combo had to just throw together what works with minimal testing.

literally what happened to Emma, last i saw she was doing pretty okay despite her deck being basically just whatever WUR cards she had at the time

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Are there any decklists from the SCG Open yet?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Necronomicon posted:

Are there any decklists from the SCG Open yet?

no, they have not even posted the deck tecs yet. They did just announce the day 2 metagame report so they are likely to start appearing soon.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Boros won after a major punt and B/W zombies is up a game on B/G delirium snakes.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
BW Zombies just wrecked GB without breaking a sweat

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
B/G was stuck on 3 lands until turn 5 though game two. Menace is very good against B/G though.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Dehtraen posted:

BW Zombies just wrecked GB without breaking a sweat

This gives me hope.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this is a Good Standard

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

sit on my Facebook posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this is a Good Standard

traditionally the week 1 scg tournament meta doesn't look anything like the standard shakes out but its been a fun watch

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am glad I got relentless dead playset for 20 bucks 6 weeks ago. I figured it was too cute at mythic and would be useful eventually.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BW zombies dead to one of the neckbeard twins. standard is bad again

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

BW zombies dead to one of the neckbeard twins. standard is bad again

The deck needs a little work. Too many three drops for sure. There is a strong deck in there somewhere though.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Sickening posted:

The deck needs a little work. Too many three drops for sure. There is a strong deck in there somewhere though.

Also after 12 rounds of Magic the guy seemed to be making some very questionable plays.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Has there been a single instance of Glorybringer this weekend?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Nope.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rinkles posted:

I hope not, I want the price to drop

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I think there was in the WR deck where the dude was stuck on singe red the whole game. But yeah not making waves. I'm more sad Hazoret hasn't shown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I think there was in the WR deck where the dude was stuck on singe red the whole game. But yeah not making waves. I'm more sad Hazoret hasn't shown up.

There was.

Relentless dead seems like the weakest card in the zombies deck. I would just want to be coming in hot and draining, and put them in a position where if they wipe my board plague belcher kills them. 2 of seems like a fair number. I think the deck could benefit from Bone picker even if it isn't a zombie.