Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Let's talk Martinsville. Where's a good place to sit for the race? I'm thinking Blue Ridge Tower or going into turn 1, any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

There's not really a bad seat at martinsville. When I went in 2010 we were high up in turn two and it was pretty good. But I wouldn't of minded being closer to the track.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'm assuming the infield is below track level to help with the sightlines?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

slightly, but not much

it's more that the first row of seats are elevated

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Boomer The Cannon posted:

It's not anything like Bristol.
The old cheap seats we used to sit in are covered up now but when the cars came by you could just the the roof decal until they came into the middle of the turn.

There are I think three major grandstands now and there isn't really a terrible seat in them. I've always liked the AAA'ish end of the Bill France tower, right around the middle and close to an exit. I demand hot dogs and somewhere to piss. Good view of the exit to start/finish and turn three, for whatever reason lots of clownshoes in three.

Edit: Go early and hang out/tailgate in the grass parking areas. We ended up with a bunch of free white liquor last time I went and got to see a guy try to jump the creek in his Volvo. Ruled.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mischief posted:

It's not anything like Bristol.
The old cheap seats we used to sit in are covered up now but when the cars came by you could just the the roof decal until they came into the middle of the turn.

There are I think three major grandstands now and there isn't really a terrible seat in them. I've always liked the AAA'ish end of the Bill France tower, right around the middle and close to an exit. I demand hot dogs and somewhere to piss. Good view of the exit to start/finish and turn three, for whatever reason lots of clownshoes in three.

Edit: Go early and hang out/tailgate in the grass parking areas. We ended up with a bunch of free white liquor last time I went and got to see a guy try to jump the creek in his Volvo. Ruled.

Try to jump?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

mischief posted:

got to see a guy try to jump the creek in his Volvo. Ruled.

YouTube or it didn't happen.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 29, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/AllenBestwick/status/858126592576454656

N: Allen Bestwick was also released by ESPN. He'll do the Indy 500; the Detroit GP will be his last assignment.

V: NBC...NBC...do it...please...don't gently caress this up. Bring him back in and find something else to do with Rich Schwieger.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Rick Schwieger is an xfinity tier man.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
do a hologram Larry Nuber like they do with Tupac

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

dentist toy box posted:

Rick Schwieger is an xfinity tier man.

Bestwick would singlehandedly make NBC more watchable. He was in talks with them anyway and turned them down because he wanted a more diverse slate of sports to call.

I mean, it'd be lame to do to Rick Schwieger but ESPN did the same thing with Marty Reid and it was announced like two weeks before the Brickyard that year. Give AB Cup and put Schwieger on IndyCar and NXS.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Does ESPN have anyone that actually covers motorsports anymore?

Side note: I've been watching the NFL Draft and their coverage blows. No wonder people are tuning out.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Elitist Bitch posted:

Side note: I've been watching the NFL Draft and their coverage blows. No wonder people are tuning out.

ESPN's basically gutted everything. Football probably took the least hit, but baseball, hockey, and basketball are a shell.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Elitist Bitch posted:

FOX got the rights to NHRA starting last year and took most of the ESPN on-air crew with them. Gary Gerould retired at the end of the ESPN deal.

Scott Goodyear, Eddie Cheever, and Rick DeBruhl are the three racing guys they have left with Doc and AB fired, which makes me wonder if they're going to re-up for the Indy 500. I think they brought Jon Beekhuis (who is also on NBC) in to do IndyCar after they lost Jamie Little and Vince Welch to FOX.

e- They still have Ricky Craven doing studio stuff and I guess Marty Smith sort of counts.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- They still have Ricky Craven doing studio stuff and I guess Marty Smith sort of counts.

Marty Smith never counts. :colbert:

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

VikingSkull posted:

do a hologram Larry Nuber like they do with Tupac

"Computer, create a broadcaster capable of defeating DW."

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Harveygod posted:

"Computer, create a broadcaster capable of defeating DW."

we cannot let an artificial Glenn Jarrett run free unsupervised

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

It ended up shaped like :v:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

They could do BP like they did Peter Cushing in Rogue One, but...actually, no, let's not do that, that was horrifying.

Have an article about Dang Ol Junyer instead: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706296-dale-earnhardt-jrs-retirement-a-love-story

e- What happened here?

https://twitter.com/Elliott_Sadler/status/858427084548472832

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 29, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CBJSprague24 posted:

FOX got the rights to NHRA starting last year and took most of the ESPN on-air crew with them.

IIRC the story was both ESPN and NHRA realized that ESPN hates car racing and agreed to end the contract.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

That's a good article.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Peanut President posted:

IIRC the story was both ESPN and NHRA realized that ESPN hates car racing and agreed to end the contract.

it's hilarious, too, because their first live broadcast of a professional sporting event was the Syracuse 200 in 1980, everything prior to that was either tape delayed or amateur

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anyone else watch the GRC race from Memphis?

What a fun rear end track. drat. Why did NASCAR bail on it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

Let's see. Is it a southern, non-1.5 mile tri-oval?

There's your answer.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Let's see. Is it a southern, non-1.5 mile tri-oval?

There's your answer.

XFS and Trucks used to have the most fun "Non Cup" venues.

Now it's literally some boring rear end undercard for Cup at a 1.5 mile cookie cutter.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, you could take my post, swap "southern" with "historic" and you have Milwaukee and every northern track they've abandoned.

Now I made myself sad. :smith:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Honestly, you could take my post, swap "southern" with "historic" and you have Milwaukee and every northern track they've abandoned.

Now I made myself sad. :smith:

I like how they've bailed on the Mile despite the fact that ASA, and short track series kinda built a good portion of modern cup racing.

Jimmie Johnson, Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace,, Alan Kulwicki, and Matt Kenseth all were making their names around those sort of circuits. But I mean, that's not where race fans come from. No sirree. They come from the suburbs of Chicago and Kansas City :downs:.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

I like how they've bailed on the Mile despite the fact that ASA, and short track series kinda built a good portion of modern cup racing.

Jimmie Johnson, Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace,, Alan Kulwicki, and Matt Kenseth all were making their names around those sort of circuits. But I mean, that's not where race fans come from. No sirree. They come from the suburbs of Chicago and Kansas City :downs:.

I understand why the Cup never came here. Not enough stands. But for Indy and the lower series it was fine.

I think the problem is NASCAR itself and sponsors (this affects Indy more) need butts in the seats in order for them to feel it's worthwhile. I think they feel having it tag along with the main series will increase attendance because "well, if we're going to a race, might as well make a weekend out of it!"

Which is probably why they're still allowing busch wackers. Draw more fans to actually show up at the race. TV ratings are secondary.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Stenhouse wins a race this year I bet

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

"Balls and strikes."

:laugh:

Elitist Bitch fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 30, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DW observed how strong the two car teams have been this year and he's not wrong: Penske, Ganassi, Furniture Row are obvious, but Roush is definitely part of that group.

Maybe cutting another car allowed them to focus their efforts on the two remaining rides and it's pointed them in the right direction.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
even among the four car teams, it's often been true that two of the four were noticeably stronger than the others

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

It sucked and went bankrupt.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
12 posts on a cup race day? I was golfing, where was everyone else?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Speaking of "Where was everybody?":

http://www.richmond.com/sports/auto...3a38b0cb89.html

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

daslog posted:

12 posts on a cup race day? I was golfing, where was everyone else?

playing videogames

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I've been watching races as nascar uploads them to youtube cuz I'm a horrible person.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As much as I hate to bring crossover comparisons here, but I think Indy is on the right track (:haw:). Focus on in-person attendance first, then worry about the ratings. If no one is going to your races in person, why do you think they're going to watch on TV? NASCAR is so fixated with ratings that they're floundering and trying to figure out what to do. Basically, they forgot what got them popular and aren't doing it.

What I'm saying is kill the chase/playoffs/stages and go back to good old "who can drive the fastest over XY0 miles and reward the person who is the most consistent at doing that with the championship."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

nascar is very quickly coming to a crossroads where if they don't look inwards and make wholesale changes to how they run their poo poo, this sport is completely hosed. it's an increasingly grim conversation. more than ever i'm worried that they've buried their heads in their own bullshit too far to pull back out at this point. as someone who's pretty much dedicated my life to this godforsaken traveling circus, both in my own time and in my career, it's utterly maddening that no one who has the power to fix things seems to give a poo poo.

even making all the right moves and putting together a perfect gameplan for saving nascar would be a hail mary at this point because they've bled their audience away to such an incredible degree.

i am sad about cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Lol they passed that crossroads years ago

• Locked thread