Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Farming Backlash and Pull

Easily the two worst powers you'll have to farm for the challenge.....before now!

For Pull, you'll want to setup Kett, Paradox, Bronze or Silver depending on your git gudedness. Silver is just as hard as bronze to complete and you'll earn far more failing in silver than in bronze but if you're a scrub that can't solo a wave 3 stick to bronze, you'll get more out of it.

Kett are the only group that can be affected by biotics as a whole, ignoring the fiend who you are going to just cobra the instant you see one. Setup with the cover right at the spawn and learn how to time releasing pull so you drop kett off the mountain behind you without leaving your cover or turning around to punch them. Bring a charger or hurricane to drop enemy shields for your pull and hug the outside of the level on the rocky floor to get to the ammo crate to your right. You'll rack up a good several thousand to ten thousand points depending on how far you can get. Not the fastest but better than trying to earn the pull challenge in a regular match. I was getting maybe 2 to 3 thousand points that way. I don't know why it was so little, I think maybe a lot of my pull kill credits were stolen by other players because how the game credits you isn't exactly clear.

Now, backlash was fun to solve. Very satisfying. Setup for this is Bronze, Remnant, whatever. Might work on silver but I was getting overwhelmed with too many breachers. Have backlash upgraded to recharge as fast as you can with the full reflect evolution. For rounds 1-3, proceed as normal. Use your backlash to reflect observer beams at everything else before killing the observer. Use a strong but not too strong sniper rifle to drop observer shields without killing them. The basic default sniper is good for this. All your points come from damage to health so don't waste backlash time to take down shields. At round 3 or 4, nullifiers start to show up. Find a corner with cover to put your back up against near a nullifier and let them set up. Bring up backlash ONLY for the nullifier's shot and point it at anything but that nullifier. Your backlash will recharge faster than they can fire meaning you can indefinitely roleplay as the game's biggest nuisance enemy. Shots will travel through everything allowing you to hit multiple targets, distant targets or even dudes that have spawned on the other side of the level with a dozen walls between you. Not even destroyers can handle one of these on bronze. You can earn ten thousand plus points soloing this with nothing but backlash.

Farming those two loving sucked and I didn't find the trick until late so hopefully this saves someone time but really, don't farm. Play games.

If you don't mod lobby backlash what are you even doing with your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Pull is easy if you unlock the Kineticist.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
It's really fun to play as the Krogan soldier and set off flamethrower directly behind someone during the last few seconds of extraction

Houdini fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 30, 2017

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

neonbregna posted:

If you don't mod lobby backlash what are you even doing with your life

Writing posts that don't include the acronym TTK

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I believe the way kill credit works for Pull is that if you Pull (or Throw, or just punch someone) off the map, the kill gets credited to the last damage source (ie whoever last shot it or whatever).

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

PC- DocFridaySA

Orb dudes are so much more obnoxious than banshees

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

90% of the PS4 player base on extraction round:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Extraction round is the easiest round of the match too. I don't get it

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Houdini posted:

Also 100% of xbox players on an objective round that isn't hack.

Fuckin move assholes!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

precision posted:

Extraction round is the easiest round of the match too. I don't get it

Cause it works in a counterintuitive manner.

The way it looks and sounds, it's a "hold this point until the evac shuttle arrives" mission where you sit in the circle and defend the LZ for two minutes. The way it actually works, though, it is a "be in this area when the timer runs out and you win" mission where it doesn't matter how long you hold it or if any enemies are in the zone with you. You're not actually holding the LZ so the shuttle can arrive safely, you're not keeping the LZ clear of enemies, you're not defending anything.

This means that the optimal strategy isn't some war movie scene where you're trying to keep the LZ clear so the evac bird can reach you, it's kiting the enemy around on the other end of the map for 1:45 and then sprinting across the map to tag up the point at the last second. It doesn't work the way most people would expect it to work, so most people do badly at the extraction until they figure it out.

This is made worse by the fact that Bronze extraction is generally easy enough to beat via the suboptimal turtle-at-the-LZ method, which means that players learn the wrong technique first.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The real problem with the Landing Zone Round is that the extraction-ring doesn't encompass the entire platform.

Like, what retarded dev didn't make it cover the entire landing pad? I've seen new players that are on the edge where the shuttle would arrive and they don't count because they're not touching the stupid ring.

Holy gently caress how bad can developers be this time around?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
poo poo, the Raptor really is good. Like, legitimately great even. Took it into Gold with both AsAdept and TurSol and it's really beefy. Using it on console is a bit rough because it's only that good if you make most of your shots, but for burst Cloak damage or Turbocharge it really rocks.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Houdini posted:

Error 404 posted:

Also 100% of xbox players on an objective round that isn't hack.

Fuckin move assholes!
There's no segregation of skillsets here. PC players are also terrible. :buddy:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

precision posted:

poo poo, the Raptor really is good. Like, legitimately great even. Took it into Gold with both AsAdept and TurSol and it's really beefy. Using it on console is a bit rough because it's only that good if you make most of your shots, but for burst Cloak damage or Turbocharge it really rocks.
I'm glad you've finally accepted the Raptor into your heart as lord and saviour.

It can't be a coincidence that the damage bonus from tactical cloak lasts just long enough to empty the magazine. It's a sign.

BrianWilly posted:

There's no segregation of skillsets here. PC players are also terrible. :buddy:
I play on PC so can confirm. I'm terrible.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah I never play shooters, I suck real bad. But in this Im really weirdly average. The only time I completely look like a chump is the odd match I show up with good players and they don't kick me.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Raptor is even more awesome, because it has no hipfire penalty.
Getting good info re: MP stuff is pretty hard, but this thread is proving quite interesting.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

BurtreynoldsIRL on PS4. I'm drat good

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I wonder what pubbies would do on objective rounds if I'm not there. Like, literally every game even if I'm on the other side of the map I seem to get to the objective first. :confused:

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Anita Dickinme posted:

Sometimes I wonder what pubbies would do on objective rounds if I'm not there. Like, literally every game even if I'm on the other side of the map I seem to get to the objective first. :confused:
You'd fail the mission and they'd bitch about fail teammates.

You knew this already.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Crazed charging krogan is now my favorite play style

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

guns for tits posted:

Crazed charging krogan is now my favorite play style

It's hard to go back to more traditional classes after Vanguard, I've found

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stelio Kontos posted:

I'm finding the Krogladiator a lot more fun than the Novaguard. Observers are the bane of her existence though.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Thought the Thokin could be good with the Turian Soldier but I was wrong. Even on an assault rifle skirmish mission, it still takes two clips to kill anything. :ughh:

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Stelio Kontos posted:

It's really annoying how often pubbies steal my kills and prevent me from getting blood rage.

Edit: How useful is fortification on the krogan vanguard? I find myself rarely using it.

guns for tits fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 1, 2017

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

guns for tits posted:

It's really annoying how often pubbies steal my kills and prevent me from getting blood rage.

Yeah pubbies are jerks, but i dont have much of a choice, according to the OP I'm one of 3 goons playing on the bone.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

guns for tits posted:

Edit: How useful is fortification on the krogan vanguard? I find myself rarely using it.

I find it not very useful because of the charge shields and the iframes from charge/nova. That's why I greatly prefer the human vanguard for their ability to gain shields via punching.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ZombyDog posted:

Getting good info re: MP stuff is pretty hard, but this thread is proving quite interesting.

Lol:

quote:

Technically there are 8 pellets, but only 7 of them do the listed damage split /7 .. 1 of them is a dud .. You can see it on the damage log doing 1 damage .. 1.4 damage ..  Hidden tiny tiny bonus damage.
Makes missing with one of the damaging ones more painful since they hit a bit harder .. (more damage loss per pellet miss)  ..

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Houdini posted:

Thought the Thokin could be good with the Turian Soldier but I was wrong. Even on an assault rifle skirmish mission, it still takes two clips to kill anything. :ughh:

On my Turian Soldier, it takes about 20 bullets to kill a mook with the Thokin. Granted, I have a Thokin X and a Barrel X, and also the Combatives Upgrade.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zakmonster posted:

On my Turian Soldier, it takes about 20 bullets to kill a mook with the Thokin. Granted, I have a Thokin X and a Barrel X, and also the Combatives Upgrade.

I didn't even realize there were barrel mods until I got my first one in an expert pack yesterday for a pistol.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Did people say it was a better idea to buy Expert packs rather than Premium? Because of the drop rate and costs and stuff?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Premiums were the way to go if you wanted to unlock URs, but now people are saying expert packs have a streak-breaker implemented. So you get a guaranteed UR every tenth expert pack if you didn't get one before then.

TBH I've no idea if that's true. The internet tends to distort received wisdom into near uselessness, and I don't open enough packs to reliably test it out myself.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I haven't kept close track of it but I would not be surprised if it were true, I don't recall ever having a long streak of expert packs opened with no URs.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ZombyDog posted:

lol what the gently caress the Cryo gauntlet can hit weakpoints???

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you go expert packs, post whether you ever pull mods. I suspect that expert packs work like advanced packs, and you'll never pull mods until characters/weapons are all X.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stickman posted:

If you go expert packs, post whether you ever pull mods. I suspect that expert packs work like advanced packs, and you'll never pull mods until characters/weapons are all X.

I got a barrel mod 1 from it and plenty of mods from advanced packs well before things maxed out.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

RBA Starblade posted:

I got a barrel mod 1 from it and plenty of mods from advanced packs well before things maxed out.

I got a Sr barrel one WAY before I got a vanquisher.

That's the only barrel mod I've gotten. They're in there, just rare as gently caress.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Relentless posted:

I got a Sr barrel one WAY before I got a vanquisher.

That's the only barrel mod I've gotten. They're in there, just rare as gently caress.

Are you buying expert or premium packs?

I've only bought premium packs and about 12% of my rare instances are barrels. Whereas advanced packs gave me under 2% mods before I finished all the other uncommon stuff.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

E: My suspicion was not correct - Expert packs seem to drop mods just fine!

Sorry, I should have specified that advanced packs never dropped uncommon mods (for me at least) before uncommon weapons/characters were maxed. Rare drops from advanced packs can be anything. In fact, getting uncommon drops from basic packs is how I managed to get a few uncommon mods before moving on to advanced packs! Basically mods are never seem to be the sole drop in a pack unless it goes along with a rarity upgrade.

There are no UR mods, which is why I suspect expert packs won't drop mods until rare characters/weapons are maxed. It's also possible I was just unlucky with drops in the advanced packs.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 1, 2017

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Expert drops mods just fine. Ive gotten two at a time in some cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Digirat posted:

Are you buying expert or premium packs?

I've only bought premium packs and about 12% of my rare instances are barrels. Whereas advanced packs gave me under 2% mods before I finished all the other uncommon stuff.

Mostly expert, I think it was just a fluke of the RNG.

//edit

If I had to guess, the main drop slot can only be weapons or classes, but the secondary slot also includes mods. And once you max all weapons, it swaps a weapon unlock to the secondary table.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 1, 2017

• Locked thread