Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ianmacdo posted:

Looks like it finally paid off for Zach Holmes, that fat guy who did those terrible things to himself (the firework suicide vest, flare gun to the nuts, ect.)
He never looked like he was having any fun, but now he got to do a video with steve-O and got a sponsorship too.

It's like a fame seesaw, that video raised Zach's profile but dropped Steve-O's star further down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Those guys trying to catch the tarp are amazing.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ianmacdo posted:

Looks like it finally paid off for Zach Holmes, that fat guy who did those terrible things to himself (the firework suicide vest, flare gun to the nuts, ect.)
He never looked like he was having any fun, but now he got to do a video with steve-O and got a sponsorship too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj1tWn8UGSY

looks happy in this video even though he is getting covered in cactus and kicked in the nuts.

Jackass was a mistake

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk8agwWigww

I refuse to believe that guy at the end was trapped.

Jippa has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Apr 30, 2017

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Workout win

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jippa posted:

Jesus, the one at 4:38. That's why you get a loving spotter. :stare:

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Jippa posted:

yeah, I can believe he couldn't bench 50 kilos, but once it touches the floor he should be able to easily move it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:bisonyes:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Really.

The word is "dividends" SMDH.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

":qq: WE DON'T WORK FOR THAT COMPANY BUT WE SHOULD BE PAID MOOOOOOOOOOOORE :qq:"

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...
If I'm not mistaken, labour getting paid first and shareholders getting leftovers is exactly how its supposed to work.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

I've never heard of this person and she is no darling of the left. gently caress outta here with your false narratives.

Jesus Christ. Also prison is terrible.

She spoke at the Womens March, and I saw a lot of people on the left being way too apologetic about her. She doesn't really take responsibility for her actions (I served my time is basically the closest you come to anything of the sorts) and mostly speaks about the whole thing like this. "I'm brave because I survived the american prison system as a black woman and actually made something of myself (which yes definitely bravo but lol)" while omitting what the crime actually was. It's not a good look. Haven't heard much about her since though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ductonius posted:

If I'm not mistaken, labour getting paid first and shareholders getting leftovers is exactly how its supposed to work.

Well there should be a balance. Otherwise the CEO will be like, "Obviously this company's success comes entirely from me and my amazing vision and execution, I deserve it all." Also places like goldman sachs can just turn a bonus knob and decide where to set compensation with perfect precision. Right now I think about 80% goes to staff? How do you argue if that's too high or too low?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well there should be a balance. Otherwise the CEO will be like, "Obviously this company's success comes entirely from me and my amazing vision and execution, I deserve it all." Also places like goldman sachs can just turn a bonus knob and decide where to set compensation with perfect precision. Right now I think about 80% goes to staff? How do you argue if that's too high or too low?

If your staff can't afford to live off their compensation, it's too low. That's the barometer.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Millennial Sexlord posted:

If your staff can't afford to live off their compensation, it's too low. That's the barometer.

This is dumb for pretty obvious reasons.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

zakharov posted:

This is dumb for pretty obvious reasons.

Please, tell me the "pretty obvious reasons" why a living wage is unsustainable. Unless you're advocating that everyone hold down multiple jobs in order to survive, in which case you're an idiot.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Inco posted:

Please, tell me the "pretty obvious reasons" why a living wage is unsustainable. Unless you're advocating that everyone hold down multiple jobs in order to survive, in which case you're an idiot.

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge-I am the man who will now tell you." The chief engineer was the only one able to move; he ran to a television set and struggled frantically with its dials. But the screen remained empty; the speaker had not chosen to be seen. Only his voice filled the airways of the country-of the world, thought the chief engineer-sounding as if he were speaking here, in this room, not to a group, but to one man; it was not the tone of addressing a meeting, but the tone of addressing a mind.

You have heard it said that this is an age of moral crisis. You have said it yourself, half...

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ductonius posted:

That's not how capitalism works.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This video always makes me happy. The commentary makes it.

Sarcopenia posted:

She spoke at the Womens March, and I saw a lot of people on the left being way too apologetic about her. She doesn't really take responsibility for her actions (I served my time is basically the closest you come to anything of the sorts) and mostly speaks about the whole thing like this. "I'm brave because I survived the american prison system as a black woman and actually made something of myself (which yes definitely bravo but lol)" while omitting what the crime actually was. It's not a good look. Haven't heard much about her since though.

This is literally the only context some people know her in though. The "survived the American prison system as a black woman" thing with the crime omitted. The only people I know who defended her did an immediate about-face the second they heard the crime.

Mind, maybe we can do a little more looking back on the details before we reflexively defend people, but still. Some people just don't know who the hell that is.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Inco posted:

Because you hate the poor, isn't it obvious?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I live in San Francisco and I've never even heard of Donna Hylton so I don't really think she's as much of a "darling of the left" as implied

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Maybe it was a typo and they meant to say the marlin of the left?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Women's prison is basically a health club anyways. Haven't any of you guys seen Orange is the New Black? It's like an elementary school bake sale compared to OZ.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DavidAlltheTime posted:

En garde!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Male_prison.gif

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Sarcopenia posted:

"There's this one person who marched who's pretty lovely, guess that means everyone who even slightly agrees with her is in the wrong."

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Midnight Voyager posted:

This is literally the only context some people know her in though. The "survived the American prison system as a black woman" thing with the crime omitted. The only people I know who defended her did an immediate about-face the second they heard the crime.

Mind, maybe we can do a little more looking back on the details before we reflexively defend people, but still. Some people just don't know who the hell that is.
People act like she killed some random innocent guy, he was the co-owner of their crime syndicate and double-crossed his partner, who had him brutally killed to send a message:

quote:

The victim was 62-year-old Thomas Vigliarole, a balding real-estate broker cum con man whose partner in crime, Louis Miranda, thought Vigliarole had swindled him out of $139,000 on a mutual con. The two men had sold shares in a New York City condo and meant to pocket the money for themselves, but Miranda hadn't gotten his share.

The two men had so many potential cons going that, according to New York City Detective William Spurling, "it took me three months to catalogue them. They were contemplating kidnapping a judge in New Jersey and a head of state in the Philippines."
This is some mafia poo poo, no one would pearl clutch about a low-level mob goon turning his life around after serving his time in prison.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

who among us hasn't contemplated kidnapping the a head of state from the Philippines

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

quote:

The victim was 62-year-old Thomas Vigliarole, a balding real-estate broker cum con man whose partner in crime, Louis Miranda, thought Vigliarole had swindled him out of $139,000 on a mutual con. The two men had sold shares in a New York City condo and meant to pocket the money for themselves, but Miranda hadn't gotten his share.

The two men had so many potential cons going that, according to New York City Detective William Spurling, "it took me three months to catalogue them. They were contemplating kidnapping a judge in New Jersey and a head of state in the Philippines."

:what:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's pronounced "coom".

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

look at this ignorant person who doesn't know about the shady world of black market house semen

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sir, I have an amazing business opportunity for you and all I need is a moment of you and your dick's time.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Alereon posted:

People act like she killed some random innocent guy, he was the co-owner of their crime syndicate and double-crossed his partner, who had him brutally killed to send a message:
This is some mafia poo poo, no one would pearl clutch about a low-level mob goon turning his life around after serving his time in prison.

Huh, well I guess if she just capped her crime bos...

quote:

In 1985, Hylton and two accomplices drugged and kidnapped 62-year-old Long Island real-estate broker Thomas Vigliarolo, and held him prisoner for 15-20 days. While imprisoned, Vigliarolo was starved, burned, beaten, sexually assaulted, and tortured by three men and four women, including Hylton.

Um...

quote:

Spurling himself interviewed Donna: "I couldn't believe this girl who was so intelligent and nice-looking could be so unemotional about what she was telling me she and her friends had done. They'd squeezed the victim's testicles with a pair of pliers, beat him, burned him. Actually, I thought the judge's sentence was lenient. Once a jailbird, always a jailbird."

Maybe there is a more sympathetic person that could be put forth as a spokesperson for prison reform.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

RIP that guy's no doubt very expensive fishing pole.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

mng posted:

Workout win

Simpsons did it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

LeJackal posted:

Huh, well I guess if she just capped her crime bos...

Um...

Maybe there is a more sympathetic person that could be put forth as a spokesperson for prison reform.

It's too bad there can only be one spokesperson at a time, ever, for any reform movement.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Inco posted:

I actually agree with you, I think the standard should be higher than "can afford to not die."

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

RIP that guy's no doubt very expensive fishing pole.

Guy on the left had a hook to help pull in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'm gonna guess that when you have problems keeping positions staffed with qualified candidates, you're not paying enough money.

edit: At this point, you could probably just straight up kill nearly every single person working in wall street and the world would probably become a better place.

grumplestiltzkin has a new favorite as of 00:08 on May 1, 2017