Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Bushes are the best strat. Just had a game where a guy flopped prone about 3m infront of me during the final 5. He had absolute no chance when I popped out and dinked the gently caress out of him. To his defence it was raining and people don't know about bush strats yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
What controls the weather conditions and are any more planned other than raining? I really love the rain atmosphere in this game and would be hype for more stuff like that.

e; so I just used this google thing. Oh my god, fog, night, snow.... Please make this work...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Willie Tomg posted:

What controls the weather conditions and are any more planned other than raining? I really love the rain atmosphere in this game and would be hype for more stuff like that.

e; so I just used this google thing. Oh my god, fog, night, snow.... Please make this work...

Fog would be nice if they can figure out a way to do it that doesn't involve particulate to tank the frame rate. Also, relative newcomer to the thread - but is this game relatively hack-free yet? That's a big reason why I stopped playing H1Z1.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Fog would be nice if they can figure out a way to do it that doesn't involve particulate to tank the frame rate. Also, relative newcomer to the thread - but is this game relatively hack-free yet? That's a big reason why I stopped playing H1Z1.

Well there was one review claiming it had a lot aimbots on it and no mechanic to report them. Of course I think the guys example was him using one. :lol:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

BattleEye is apparently a pain in the rear end to write cheats for

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is there any tips for making my headphones better for this game? I feel like theremust be some settings I'm missing because I have a drat hard time tell direction.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is there any tips for making my headphones better for this game? I feel like theremust be some settings I'm missing because I have a drat hard time tell direction.

I'd also be interested if anyone has any tips. In particular, identifying whether people are above or below you while in apartments is a real crapshow for me.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BinaryDoubts posted:

I'd also be interested if anyone has any tips. In particular, identifying whether people are above or below you while in apartments is a real crapshow for me.

people above you in apartments make hollow footstep sounds

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Well I don't know if it'll help you but I use Voicemeeter to up the bass equalizer which improves things a bit for me. Can probably try some of the settings through that to tweak output.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I don't think there's any secret headphone EQ trick. Try to move your camera left/right when you hear gunshots till the audio is coming from both channels so you can pinpoint the exact direction.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

BinaryDoubts posted:

above or below

above you makes hollow sound like already mentioned, and under you sounds like someone is walking on metal fencing.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Xachariah posted:

Well I don't know if it'll help you but I use Voicemeeter to up the bass equalizer which improves things a bit for me. Can probably try some of the settings through that to tweak output.

Same, except treble because my headphones cheapbudget drivers are already hella bassy and directionality is a little easier to suss out in the higher range.

e; that loot map is STUPIDLY helpful, just had a game where the plane traveled from the military base to Severny, so did a Point Break drop landing just outside Primorsk, departed with a Level 3 vest, an UMP, a SCAR, enough ammo for both and some pills, then snagged a boat and coasted it as the blue cinched down on the northern harbor of Georgopol. #3 finish. Coulda been 2 if I wasn't experimenting with the guns still and getting used to what is best at which range (probably shoulda used the compensator foregrip UMP full auto instead of the SCAR, maybe). Shot in the head from the right cooking a grenade for imminent placement on #1's head. loving rude #2. That was a personal conversation between me and #1.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 30, 2017

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Watched Cohh host custom games and then spectate after he died. The spectator camera is surprisingly robust. Shows names, location in 1st person and on map, health, vehicle/no, and weapon equipped.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

funny Star Wars parody posted:

BattleEye is apparently a pain in the rear end to write cheats for

To put this in context there's basically no public BattlEye cheats because the system sorta rootkits you. The only ones around are custom ones people pay a buttload for that do stuff like display information on a second screen (eg, the poo poo Clever got caught for in Siege)

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 30, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've only seen one person that I seriously suspected of using an aimbot, and it's because he was standing on top of an apartment and was able to shoot three of us that were all in different cardinal directions in the head within seconds of exposing from our cover. The nail in the coffin from that situation from someone being just really good vs. aimbots was that I was in a car going 80kph while wiggling the steering wheel and he landed three headshots on me, one of which I was midair, in between shooting my teammates in the head.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Playing with a duo/squad is a good way to get used to how the sound of footsteps works because you just need time to get used to what the sounds mean and duo/squad will have people walking around you all the time.

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

just pulled the trigger and bought this on steam. Hopefully I won't regret it, but the premise seems really fun. How does it work? As soon as you are killed, you are just straight up eliminated from that game?

I'll play with you some time, Dad

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Just got my first win in the 43rd game.

Using headphones and not the TV mono speaker was pretty key I found out.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

Just got my first win in the 43rd game.

Using headphones and not the TV mono speaker was pretty key I found out.

Audio is your #1 line of reactive defense in close in fighting, long range fighting, ambushes, and orientation to know where everyone else is relative to you. Vision is a proactive sense and it prevents you from getting into poor positioning in those situations, but with the third person camera it is also completely unreliable. The rule of "If you can see them, they can see you" no longer applies when third person cameras are in play, so it can no longer be used effectively in a defensive capacity.

Sound is crucial, and if you aren't playing with any directional sound I'm willing to say you're missing about 75% of the overall useful information that everyone with directional sound is getting out of the game.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I'd really like to see the game take a slightly less serious turn and have things like Metal Gear's box outfit.

In a field with no cover? NOW YOU'RE A BUSH.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Would playing h1z1 kotk training server (respawn) be a good way to get my aiming accuracy up ? Controls are the same I think.

Playing a squad game with a few goons yesterday and somehow I got 3 kills with 3 shots. 2 of them were downed and one was reviving them, but generally I can't hit a barn door with my dick.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Commoners posted:

Audio is your #1 line of reactive defense in close in fighting, long range fighting, ambushes, and orientation to know where everyone else is relative to you. Vision is a proactive sense and it prevents you from getting into poor positioning in those situations, but with the third person camera it is also completely unreliable. The rule of "If you can see them, they can see you" no longer applies when third person cameras are in play, so it can no longer be used effectively in a defensive capacity.

Sound is crucial, and if you aren't playing with any directional sound I'm willing to say you're missing about 75% of the overall useful information that everyone with directional sound is getting out of the game.

I won a game with the sound set to mono. I use a wireless streamer for a cochlear implant and forgot it had a stereo/mono switch on the back.

So never fear dudes, even if you have bad hearing/bad sound set ups you too can get lucky. :shepface:

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

We are the Unity 3D community. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's worth noting directional sound is based on camera orientation, not player model orientation.

So if you're swinging your camera around wildly looking for who's shooting you, you're also changing the relative direction that it will sound like the shots are coming from.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Just played on an EU Squad server, got 6 kills and we got 2nd. It was stupid. Lag armor is real. Ping limits need to be enforced.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Should I turn the little 7.1 surround emulation thingy my headset has on for this game? I don't even know how it works, much less remember what it's actually called but I'm sure some of you know what I"m talking about

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Should I turn the little 7.1 surround emulation thingy my headset has on for this game? I don't even know how it works, much less remember what it's actually called but I'm sure some of you know what I"m talking about

Yes I have logitech g430's and it works awesome. I was able to pinpoint every gunshot in a squad game yesterday with other goons on the first shot. Someone earlier said that the game only outputs stereo. Well if thats true the logitech dolby setup does a drat good job upmixing it to surround.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

First solo win, 8 kills, including 6 in the last ~20 or so. 4x scope + bolt action is a headshot monster, and winding up early in the place that the circle narrows down to at the end is such a big difference.

Final kill was lobbing a grenade into a divot where the last guy was prone.

This game is fun.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

jonathan posted:

Yes I have logitech g430's and it works awesome. I was able to pinpoint every gunshot in a squad game yesterday with other goons on the first shot. Someone earlier said that the game only outputs stereo. Well if thats true the logitech dolby setup does a drat good job upmixing it to surround.

Ah, I've got the Hyperx Cloud 2 set. I don't know a lot about them, it was basically just goon recommended

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Huge thanks to whoever recommended dialing up the textures and draw distance! I had noticed in the task manager that the CPU was getting hit hard, this moved it over to the GPU and now I'm getting a pretty solid 60 FPS and minimal tearing. Someone mentioned vsync is off by default and I didn't see an option in-game, can that be turned on in a config file somewhere?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chard posted:

Huge thanks to whoever recommended dialing up the textures and draw distance! I had noticed in the task manager that the CPU was getting hit hard, this moved it over to the GPU and now I'm getting a pretty solid 60 FPS and minimal tearing. Someone mentioned vsync is off by default and I didn't see an option in-game, can that be turned on in a config file somewhere?

What are the rest of your settings? Still trying to find a way to tone down the CPU use as I think it's been causing some game issues here and there for me.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I set everything else to low. Looks a bit rear end, but runs much better.

e: this map is a mixed blessing. I'm finding good poo poo earlier but I'm also getting smoked quicker because everyone is running around in the same three spots on the flight path.

Chard fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 30, 2017

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Ah, I've got the Hyperx Cloud 2 set. I don't know a lot about them, it was basically just goon recommended

Please post if you find that works well. I have a pair of those myself.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Just tried a quick solo match. The game ran kind of crappy. The FPS counter in the top wasn't bad, it stayed above the 30s for the most part, but the game itself felt choppy. Hitting tab to bring up the inventory is fairly slow, like it takes a full second or two to load up, stuff like that. I haven't really messed around with the settings too much yet though. My PC is an i5 6400@2.7ghz, 1050 gtx and 8 gigs of ram if that makes a difference.

e: wound up getting killed before I could figure out how to use my ammo with my gun, partially why the slow menu loading bothered me

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 1, 2017

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Loading up the menu a few times in the plane seems to help a bit with its lagginess. It seems to have to load up assets when it opens up and gets faster once those assets are in memory.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
setting the steam launch options to use all cpu cores helped a good bit. It's playable now for sure

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is it possible to change your in game alias after you pick one at the initial start up?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Can someone tell me where you find scopes better than red dot? I find half a dozen red dot sites each map, but rarely anything with some zoom. Really enjoying this game so far though, having never played this genre before. I was always turned off by the general shittiness (bugs, crashes etc.) that was reported or the sideshow of having zombies.

Second night of playing, roughly my fifth match ever I got first place. Jumped into an empty part of the map completely by accident. I've now looked at the spawn map and realize it was probably a place that didn't have many weapons. Kept moving with the circle without ever finding anyone and picked up a UMP, tons of 9mm and a red dot, not much else along the way. Cowered in a building on the outside of the circle until I was forced into the open field with tall grass and hay bails. Just crawled through the grass until I spotted a guy hiding behind one of the bails and zapped him from no more than 15 meters. Same deal with the next guy, same deal with the last guy. They all thought crouching/standing behind cover was better than just crawling through the grass for some reason. Since that win, I definitely play a lot more cautiously, knowing that it'll keep me alive.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 1, 2017

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

There seem to be distinct phases the game goes through, and it's really cool. There's the early melee, then a sort of silent frantic scramble, then the vehicle-havers take over as the runners pick each other off and the circle tightens, at some point the sniper folks have their moment, and then eventually the final showdown that's all about becoming one with the bush.

One complaint I have right now is that if you switch weapons (i.e. UMP to SCAR), anything you've put on the old gun stays attached so you have to remember to pull your scope/mag off before switching. It should be easy enough to have a dropped gun 'break' into pieces if you're using the Tab inventory switch.

Also the SCAR is a loving beast.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Mauser posted:

Can someone tell me where you find scopes better than red dot? I find half a dozen red dot sites each map, but rarely anything with some zoom. Really enjoying this game so far though, having never played this genre before. I was always turned off by the general shittiness (bugs, crashes etc.) that was reported or the sideshow of having zombies.me alive.

2x and 4x are uncommon but spawn a fair amount, 8x is pretty rare as a spawn but common in care packages with sniper rifles and 15x is extra rare even in care packages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Xachariah posted:

2x and 4x are uncommon but spawn a fair amount, 8x is pretty rare as a spawn but common in care packages with sniper rifles and 15x is extra rare even in care packages.

15x is also pretty much entirely useless in my opinion. The last thing you need in this is even more tunnel vision.

• Locked thread