Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Moltrey posted:

goro's whole thing is Pleasant Boy

unless you're one of his many victims, his fanbase who he basically calls dumb morons that are being manipulated by him in a monologue, or sae (basically his only friend besides joker) who he talks poo poo about behind her back while doing adachi_rape_face.png right before he goes off to shoot his other friend in the loving head, you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, I don't think it has to do with peoples' perverted sympathies or gay fanfic or w/e necessarily. People just like villains sometimes, because they're cool or stylish or more interesting than most of the good guys or whatever.

Darth Vader and the Joker are two of the most popular and widely-recognizable fictional characters. Villains with a lot of screen time and dialogue in games and especially RPGs are usually popular even when they're psychotic dicks, like Kefka or uh, Adachi.

There doesn't have to be some bizarre otaku culture explanation for everything

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

"How dare you, a criminal who lives in an attic, have things I don't have? I'm entitled to have friends because I intentionally did everything I could to superficially make myself popular and get attention" - Goro akechi moments before he tries to murder a bunch of people who are getting in the way of his poorly thought out revenge plot (by loving over the guy HE wants to gently caress over before he can properly get hard over it)

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
There is only one good Goro from a game this year. He has one eye and he runs a nightclub.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

darealkooky posted:

unless you're one of his many victims, his fanbase who he basically calls dumb morons that are being manipulated by him in a monologue, or sae (basically his only friend besides joker) who he talks poo poo about behind her back while doing adachi_rape_face.png right before he goes off to shoot his other friend in the loving head, you mean?

Look if Sae didn't want to get murdered by him then she should have put a little work into their relationship. Take the kid out to a proper sushi restaurant sometime, drat girl.

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

There is only one good Goro from a game this year. He has one eye and he runs a nightclub.

I'll admit that I got their names mixed up in my head more than once thanks to Yakuza 0.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I am attracted to Goro, so i totally get it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

wizard on a water slide posted:

I mean, I don't think it has to do with peoples' perverted sympathies or gay fanfic or w/e necessarily. People just like villains sometimes, because they're cool or stylish or more interesting than most of the good guys or whatever.

Darth Vader and the Joker are two of the most popular and widely-recognizable fictional characters. Villains with a lot of screen time and dialogue in games and especially RPGs are usually popular even when they're psychotic dicks, like Kefka or uh, Adachi.

There doesn't have to be some bizarre otaku culture explanation for everything

Those are pretty much the same thing though. Villains/rivals that are some combo of tragic, handsome, cool, or funny tending to be popular isn't a "bizarre otaku culture thing".

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

darealkooky posted:

"How dare you, a criminal who lives in an attic, have things I don't have? I'm entitled to have friends because I intentionally did everything I could to superficially make myself popular and get attention" - Goro akechi moments before he tries to murder a bunch of people who are getting in the way of his poorly thought out revenge plot (by loving over the guy HE wants to gently caress over before he can properly get hard over it)

Honestly the worst thing about him is that if he had done nothing at all in regards to Shido then party politics would have seen Shido's dreams of political power shattered.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

darealkooky posted:

Oh no, the guy's awful cause he hates his fanbase that completely throw him to the wolves the second they find someone else to idolize and hope that he too gets his life ruined by the Phantom Theives, what a criminal. Also it's not like Sae, the one person Goro ever interacts with on a personal besides you, really shows him, a teenager starved of it, much respect or courtesy to his face either

Also, and really the most damning piece of evidence

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 30, 2017

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Goro stinks

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Goro is literally a serial killer who only starts to show any remorse when he finds out his dad was planning to have him killed all along and his murder-plan was all for nothing.

I hope they don't serve pancakes in hell. :colbert:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I only picked the nice responses for Goro and he still wanted to blow my brains out. :mad:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Moltrey posted:

Oh no, the guy's awful cause he hates his fanbase that completely throw him to the wolves the second they find someone else to idolize over and hope that he too gets his life ruined by the Phantom Theives, what a criminal. Also it's not like Sae, the one person Goro ever interacts with on a personal besides, you really shows him, a teenager starved of it, much respect or courtesy to his face either

Why does he deserve any respect though? He reveals himself that all of his success has come from using the Metaverse so he has no actual skills in being a detective. Add this to the fact that he is using his fake success to just feed his own ego and of course any professional would hate his guts.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Moltrey posted:

Yabba Dabba Demiurge was described as "Igor", the name box is not 100% correct at all times.

also having vague justifications for not liking people doesn't mean you aren't unpleasant for mumbling under your breath about how terrible they are. a truly Pleasant Boy would've paid it no mind. Especially with sae since goro is pretty clear about how he's just giving her faux japanese respect instead of genuine respect and that sae's congnition of goro is as an actual Pleasant Boy who makoto can beat up super easily

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Why does he deserve any respect though? He reveals himself that all of his success has come from using the Metaverse so he has no actual skills in being a detective. Add this to the fact that he is using his fake success to just feed his own ego and of course any professional would hate his guts.

Yeah, it's telling that all of Akechi's success was engineered by Shido, and the one plan that was 100% his own was completely dead on arrival.

Pleasant Boy more like Stupid Boy

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

akechi a poo poo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Real kicker is that not only did he get played by Shido, but he got his powers because be would. As counterpart to the Trickster, he was handpicked as the guy who'd use his powers most selfishly and short-sightedly. Ace Detective got played by everybody.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Motto posted:

Real kicker is that not only did he get played by Shido, but he got his powers because be would. As counterpart to the Trickster, he was handpicked as the guy who'd use his powers most selfishly and short-sightedly. Ace Detective got played by everybody.

It's really funny when you realize that he thought he was playing everyone, when it turns out a cat, God, and everyone between was playing him like a fiddle.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Actually, he played with my heart.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Goro sucks, hope that helps.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hunt11 posted:

Because Goro's still a human being and as far as anyone knows, a pretty great one. The point of the story is that yeah, despite Goro's constant attempts to gain respect and status, it all either fails or turns to sand in an instant due to it being built on lies. Even you the player have almost every chance to just clown on this fool you don't have any proof is bad. A lot of Goro's frustration comes that theoretically, he should be widely loved, and for the most part really is not despite totally should be given the public's knowledge of him, it's just that the public sucks, which he views as just another failing of the system.

darealkooky posted:

Yabba Dabba Demiurge was described as "Igor", the name box is not 100% correct at all times.

also having vague justifications for not liking people doesn't mean you aren't unpleasant for mumbling under your breath about how terrible they are. a truly Pleasant Boy would've paid it no mind. Especially with sae since goro is pretty clear about how he's just giving her faux japanese respect instead of genuine respect and that sae's congnition of goro is as an actual Pleasant Boy who makoto can beat up super easily
Sae actually liking Goro is sweet, but it just doesn't come across in their actual interactions, her snapping at him and the two of them almost always biting each other's heads off. Like they're kind of the one person the two sees everyday, go out to a nice sushi restaurant or something goddamn. To Goro, Sae is just another lovely Adult (tm) because she doesn't give in at all to his Pleasant Boy persona. Not that she should obv

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
rips off shirt to reveal my GORO AKECHI DEFENSE SQUAD badge

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Moltrey posted:

rips off shirt to reveal my GORO AKECHI UMBRELLA ACCOUNT badge

:colbert:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Moltrey posted:

Even you the player have almost every chance to just clown on this fool you don't have any proof is bad.
Yeah, but then you the player are an established jerk. Just look at how you treat Foreign Barker!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Akechi is a great character because he's specifically made from head to foot with the intention of you to hate him.

First you hate him because of how obnoxiously perfect he is.

Then, you hate him because after the reveal, he's a bad guy and acts like a complete fuckhead.

THEN, you hate him more, after you fight him in Shido's Palace, because you find out the reason he's murdering people is because he wants to make his lovely dad like him before he pulls the rug out from under him.

I hate Akechi, and that's why I love Akechi.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
please don't troll me online

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Moltrey posted:

A lot of Goro's frustration comes that theoretically, he should be widely loved, and for the most part really is not despite totally should be given the public's knowledge of him, it's just that the public sucks, which he views as just another failing of the system.

The ending is built on the fact the public sucks and is a failing system, because they don't adore the phantom thieves.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Moltrey posted:

Because Goro's still a human being and as far as anyone knows, a pretty great one. The point of the story is that yeah, despite Goro's constant attempts to gain respect and status, it all either fails or turns to sand in an instant due to it being built on lies. Even you the player have almost every chance to just clown on this fool you don't have any proof is bad. A lot of Goro's frustration comes that theoretically, he should be widely loved, and for the most part really is not despite totally should be given the public's knowledge of him, it's just that the public sucks, which he views as just another failing of the system.

This is just too much. My whole post resolved around the fact that those working on the prosecuting side would grow to hate a teenager who somehow manage to achieve all this success without doing any real work for it. Especially when he gets all these favors from the higher ups and is doing all this because he is a media whore. Also do you want to know why the system is so amazingly lovely right now? It is because of Akechi. Society does have a problem of bastards being able to rise to the top because of their willingness to do lovely things and society not being as good at catching them as it should be. By abusing the metaverse Akechi was able to ensure that the worst people in society where able to rocket to the top and anybody who got in their way ends up dead or crazy. Yes he had a lovely childhood, but a sociopathic rear end in a top hat who is doing all he can to ensure that society gets even worse does not deserve any pity when society has the gall to stop sucking on his dick.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Back to something a couple pages ago, but I actually really like that Akechi being the traitor isn't the actual twist. Like, he's not Adachi 2.0. The twist isn't *gasp* the guy who's never liked the Phantom Thieves sold out the Phantom Thieves--it's that the Phantom Thieves knew it the whole time and were actually playing him. It was a pretty great "heist movie" sort of twist and was a good choice for Persona 5. They were never gonna have another Adachi situation so I'm glad they took a different route and also let the Phantom Thieves be the smart ones for like exactly one time in the story.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Akechi has a metal briefcase with a stylized "A" on the side.

He is the worst besides Mishima.

Also the whole "serial killer" thing doesn't help.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I dunno if you can call akechi a serial killer given he doesn't seem to kill for pleasure. He's more like a professional orphan creator

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Today's "thing I initially missed": When Futaba's clowning on Mishima during that one scene where he shows up in the diner, she finds him so unmemorable that she even gets his name wrong. She calls him "Nishima", twice, and he doesn't even correct her on it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

darealkooky posted:

I dunno if you can call akechi a serial killer given he doesn't seem to kill for pleasure. He's more like a professional orphan creator

He does kill for fame and personal gain though. And serial killer literally just means 'has murdered multiple people'

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's great

e: to the futaba thing

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Real question about goro is why the gently caress doesn't he have a unique boss theme

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I know it's been noticed a million times but I love how Kaneshiro basically transforms into Malibu's Most Wanted, then Nae Naes to get Piggytron to let him in.

Then when Piggytron goes into Super VIP mode he basically Gangnam Styles on top of it

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Zore posted:

He does kill for fame and personal gain though. And serial killer literally just means 'has murdered multiple people'

I thought the fame/detective stuff was just a side benefit from how they resolve shidos dirty work so it doesn't get traced back to him

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Zokari posted:

Goro is literally a serial killer who only starts to show any remorse when he finds out his dad was planning to have him killed all along and his murder-plan was all for nothing.

I hope they don't serve pancakes in hell. :colbert:

I hope they do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtEFEdrrXc4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

The ending is built on the fact the public sucks and is a failing system, because they don't adore the phantom thieves.

I mean, at that point the Phantom Thieves are over the whole "fame and recognition" thing, it's more about how even after their Prime Minister-elect confessed to multiple murders, massive corruption, and completely defrauding the electoral process, people didn't care and wanted a strong leader to take care of everything for them

Oxxidation posted:

Also he dies an incredibly obvious but offscreen death, which gives the fanfic writers tons of grist for the mill when they're not busy writing stories about the handsome teens putting their mouths on each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hunt11 posted:

This is just too much. My whole post resolved around the fact that those working on the prosecuting side would grow to hate a teenager who somehow manage to achieve all this success without doing any real work for it. Especially when he gets all these favors from the higher ups and is doing all this because he is a media whore. Also do you want to know why the system is so amazingly lovely right now? It is because of Akechi. Society does have a problem of bastards being able to rise to the top because of their willingness to do lovely things and society not being as good at catching them as it should be. By abusing the metaverse Akechi was able to ensure that the worst people in society where able to rocket to the top and anybody who got in their way ends up dead or crazy. Yes he had a lovely childhood, but a sociopathic rear end in a top hat who is doing all he can to ensure that society gets even worse does not deserve any pity when society has the gall to stop sucking on his dick.
The people in the prosecution department don't know that Goro isn't do any work for it, as far as they know this kid is getting hella busts on the reg, and though no that probably doesn't endear him to any one else on the team, it also doesn't seem to help get any where. Like how Shujin Academy took in the MC to turn into a shining star to boost their cred, Goro is that to police department. Goro cannot even meet with the SIU Director himself, he has to go through Sae, but they'll certainly let him go on TV every other day and put him on the Phantom Thieves to show they've got their brightest star on it.

Also the system was always broken. It's not Goro's fault that he was neglected by the foster system. It's not Goro's fault that Kamoshida had such a powerful influence over Shujin and was ruining teenagers lives. lovely Adults are lovely Adults. While yes, Akechi certainly doesn't help the problem, it's not like he's happy with things as they are, but continues to work opposite. His, yeah probably dumb, plan is to help Shido rise, and then use the Metaverse to just pull the entire rug out from under him, causing one of the biggest social reforms of Japan. Granted yes, it's pretty bad just HOW focused on his father he is, and he also wants to take full credit for the unmasking of Shido, but the kid is 17 years old and his dad ruined his entire life from the get-go, Goro's point of view isn't incomprehensible to me

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 30, 2017

• Locked thread