Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Copts and Catholics now recognize the validity of each other's performance of the sacrament of Baptism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Maybe instead of essential rights, we could take the De Maistre stratagem? Kill everyone and everything - it's the only absolutely surefire way to cleanse the world of sin.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i know bel_canto likes rules lawyering, so here's a nice little thing: the copts and the eastern orthodox recognise each others' sacraments (i think). the eastern orthodox and the catholics recognise each others' sacraments (sometimes). but the copts and the catholics did not recognise each others' baptisms until recently. it's the ring species of baptisms

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

HEY GAIL posted:

i know bel_canto likes rules lawyering, so here's a nice little thing: the copts and the eastern orthodox recognise each others' sacraments (i think). the eastern orthodox and the catholics recognise each others' sacraments (sometimes). but the copts and the catholics did not recognise each others' baptisms until recently. it's the ring species of baptisms
I highly doubt that. The church has uniformly considered baptism performed by trinitarians to be valid even if their other sacraments are not considered valid since the Council of Arles in 314.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

T___A posted:

I highly doubt that. The church has uniformly considered baptism performed by trinitarians to be valid even if their other sacraments are not considered valid since the Council of Arles in 314.
then what's up with Thirteen Orphan's link?

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

From what I've read, Copts were previously dissatisfied with Catholic baptismal technique.

Bolocko fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 29, 2017

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

HEY GAIL posted:

then what's up with Thirteen Orphan's link?
lovely reporting? Confirming what is already in place?

Regardless I highly doubt Coptic Churches have a invalid baptism. The Diocese of Honolulu has a good list of who does and does not perform a valid baptism.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
hey guys shut up and click this link

http://moehistory.tumblr.com/post/155168733611/a-clever-nun-who-is-proficient-in-philosophy-and

EDIT: http://moehistory.tumblr.com/post/148887081954/an-english-nun-who-is-also-a-philosopher-being-a also this one

Senju Kannon fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 29, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
word to phlegmatist
http://moehistory.tumblr.com/post/133536455832/a-young-girl-lawyer-ascetic-and-academic

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

T___A posted:

lovely reporting? Confirming what is already in place?

Regardless I highly doubt Coptic Churches have a invalid baptism. The Diocese of Honolulu has a good list of who does and does not perform a valid baptism.

Looks like you're right, the article was worded poorly. Though it was a joint-statement, the only change was on the Coptic Church's part.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 29, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://moehistory.tumblr.com/post/120448121575/a-female-werewolf-one-of-rockys-children-as-an
this is for you tias

i am desperately looking for anything buddhist on that site but until i find it make do with me posting this;
https://namikala.tumblr.com/post/142569451282/finally-figured-out-where-to-play-the-namu-amida

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

aquinas is nowhere near fat enough

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

aquinas is nowhere near fat enough

They simply don't acknowledge the Protestant smear-campaign against the dumb ox.

Edit: Found this gem:

Mr Enderby posted:

Deep in the Protestant Headquarters, the Head Protestant sits on a plastic stool, wearing ugly polyester vestments. Cringing Lackey approaches.

Cringing Lackey: Your Reformedness, I have bad news. The Catholics are growing ever stronger. How will we ever convince people to stop doing good works, as is the cornerstone of our belief system.
Head Protestant: Don't worry, I have a plan that will strike a the heart of the Papists. I'll tell people that the famous Roman Catholic Thomas Aquinas, who as everyone knows we Protestants hate and fear for his orthodox theology, was all fat and gross.
CL: But Your Supreme Anti-Liturgicalness, it is well known that Aquinas was super buff and swole.
HP: It is true that he was super buff and swole, and also ripped, but we'll tell people he was a fat nerd. Because, and I really can't stress this enough, all Protestants hate Aquinas for some reason.
CL: Brilliant your Iconoclasticness. I'll put the plan into action right away.
HP: Good. Now leave me. I must put a condom on my penis before I have sex with my wife.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 29, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

pidan posted:

It's always the most fun to talk about edge cases, and robots are safely removed from the real world. Do severely disabled human beings have human rights? Ohh boy. Do robots? This one's more fun to discuss.

Although I guess automation of cognitive tasks is one of the less absurd things futurists worry about.

Yeah, but when you're straight up asked right now to explain why you back up a sister who expresses reprehensible hate for real-life humans existing now and she's all like "sorry, writing this paper about sexist machine intelligences is a better use of my time", it doesn't matter if it's a good futurist issue.

That's two seconds of my life I'll never get back :negative:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thirteen Orphans posted:

They simply don't acknowledge the Protestant smear-campaign against the dumb ox.

Edit: Found this gem:
possibly the best post these threads have produced

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

-wrong thread-

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Here is a poor cell phone pic I took of some classic Islamic calligraphy adapted to NT verses, from the Cathedral for the diocese of Raiwind in the United Church of Pakistan.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I ran across an interesting tweet yesterday:

https://twitter.com/SlacktivistFred/status/858473690660560896
"I'm generally an open-table, all-are-welcome kinda guy, but stop allowing ICE/CBP agents to receive communion."

Aside from this being impossible for Catholics (short of a bishop placing all ICE agents in his diocese under interdict, which I suppose is possible), it seems to present interesting theological problems. If someone is an "open-table, all-are-welcome" person, that suggests to me that denominational boundaries are no issue, and maybe even being baptized might not be a requirement. (I don't actually know Fred Clark's denomination.) If being a Christian at all isn't a requirement, how does placing other requirements even work?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The phrasing had me wondering if ICE had, like, invaded a church during mass to arrest somebody. It sounds like he's just suggesting moral punishment, though.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So, I heard in another thread that Jehova's Witnesses actually do not believe Jesus to be God, but instead an archangel of some kind. Can anyone confirm this?

If they actually believed it, isn't this a really, really big deal, theologically speaking?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Tias posted:

So, I heard in another thread that Jehova's Witnesses actually do not believe Jesus to be God, but instead an archangel of some kind. Can anyone confirm this?

If they actually believed it, isn't this a really, really big deal, theologically speaking?

100% true; I spent about six months meeting once a week with one, because she came by my house and she wanted to argue religion with me. Their translation of the New Testament alters verses usually used to argue for Jesus's divinity; for example, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god." They believe that there is only one archangel, because only the Archangel Michael is specifically given that title, and that when God needed to send a savior, he caused the Archangel Michael to be born as Jesus.

Because death results in annihilation (until God, who remembers you, re-creates you exactly as you were before you died), Jesus did not literally rise from the dead, never mind preach to the souls of the dead; he was re-created to show the apostles what was in store for them when they and the other 143,989 Witnesses return to rule the perfect world God will create after completely destroying this one. (There will only ever be 144,000 people in Heaven. Most JWs do not believe they are among that number. The bread and wine are passed around yearly, but no one receives unless they believe they will be going to Heaven rather than being re-created to live on the re-created Earth.)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I kinda like the idea of a religion where just being an okay ish member doesn't guarantee you a primo slot in heaven. Less so the not using modern medicine thing. I had a friend in junior high die of a grand mal seizure because he was a witness and so couldn't take anti seizure meds.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
Yes, it's true: I had some of them at my door and we talked for a couple of hours. I don't like policing the definition of "Christian" extensively, but I feel like not believing in the divinity of Christ is a pretty low bar to miss for being allowed into the clubhouse.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bel_Canto posted:

Yes, it's true: I had some of them at my door and we talked for a couple of hours. I don't like policing the definition of "Christian" extensively, but I feel like not believing in the divinity of Christ is a pretty low bar to miss for being allowed into the clubhouse.

It's sort of like asking if Mormons are Christian. Both Mormons and JWs have beliefs that are far outside of little-o orthodox Christianity but they consider themselves Christians and it's not our place to judge

Tias
May 25, 2008

Interesting stuff, thanks!

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

I kinda like the idea of a religion where just being an okay ish member doesn't guarantee you a primo slot in heaven. Less so the not using modern medicine thing. I had a friend in junior high die of a grand mal seizure because he was a witness and so couldn't take anti seizure meds.

JWs just refuse blood transfusions and alternative medicine ('cause Satan is in those acupuncture needles.) You sure your friend wasn't a Christian Scientist? They refuse everything.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Pellisworth posted:

It's sort of like asking if Mormons are Christian. Both Mormons and JWs have beliefs that are far outside of little-o orthodox Christianity but they consider themselves Christians and it's not our place to judge

It's been this thread that has opened my eyes to a lot of the differences between the Mormonism I grew up with and traditional Christianity, and it's been a weird realization to find out just how different they are. It's not a thing the LDS Church talks about at all.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

It's been this thread that has opened my eyes to a lot of the differences between the Mormonism I grew up with and traditional Christianity, and it's been a weird realization to find out just how different they are. It's not a thing the LDS Church talks about at all.

Let me guess, no silly hats?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Even the Baptists get in on the silly hats - well, mostly the African American women, but still.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Phlegmatist posted:

JWs just refuse blood transfusions and alternative medicine ('cause Satan is in those acupuncture needles.) You sure your friend wasn't a Christian Scientist? They refuse everything.

I mean, he told me he didn't take meds because he was a JW.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
I don't think Prince had that problem...

Also our organist had car trouble for Mass this morning so we had to do everything a cappella. Turns out Catholics have no idea how to sing without organ accompaniment...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And yet they invented Gregorian Chant?

E: Which I very much enjoy despite it being essentially indoor yodeling.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 1, 2017

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The Phlegmatist posted:

Also our organist had car trouble for Mass this morning so we had to do everything a cappella. Turns out Catholics have no idea how to sing without organ accompaniment...

You mean Catholics in your area can sing with it? :v:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Phlegmatist posted:

Maybe there's more than one type of witness? I dunno, I'm not an expert. Just a kid who watched a friend die.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Who knows. Sorry about your friend :(

Anyway growing up Church of Christ it was weird that people couldn't open up their hymnal to whatever page and just start singing on-key. Do you see what instruments in church gets you??? This morning wasn't a joyful noise unto the Lord, that's for certain.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
did you know; it's hard to sing if you can't read music and haven't been trained in how to use your voice. almost like you need some base music education if you want people to sing good.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

Nothing wrong with making a joyful noise unto the Lord. :colbert:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Thirteen Orphans posted:

No hats at all, let alone silly ones.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

happy mary and/or communism day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Happy first of may liturgigoons. Spring has come, Joseph the Worker protect you, and may the powers above turn away the police <3

• Locked thread