Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Loel posted:

I'm fine with being on the SK60B for now, but I want to be on the strategic bomber also when we get one :colbert:

Seriously. 24 JASSM or GBUs is nuts. It would destroy all the things.

Or I guess 82 iron bombs if you are into that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Looks like it didn't get posted there, but I have a link!

A MESSAGE FROM THE PRINCE!

I wonder if they'd be up for subcontracting in the future...

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Ooh that F-15 and F-111 is very tempting, but we only get one of each so I gotta vote for K&P.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So looking things over it seems like we're under-arming our planes. At least according to Wikipedia any craft capable of firing the Sidewinder is also capable of launching the IRIS-T. That's an extra 5 nautical miles of range we can give to our fighters against air threats.

One other thing I've been thinking about is whether or not it would be feasible to consolidate our forces somewhat after this mission ends (assuming we survive). Our forces have become a mishmash of suppliers and weapons, which long term will likely make our logistics chain even more of a nightmare. So with that in mind I'm wondering if we could do the following:

1. Convert our German Tornadoes into the Saudi Arabian variant (the pair we're buying now). This gives us access to some longer-range munitions like the Storm Shadow and ALARM missiles and also prevents us from having to think about having two different craft with the same name.

2. Sell our SK60Bs, Hawk 209, and SU-25T to the new ruler of Angola. That way someone else can deal with the myriad of loadouts, plus the planes are generally better suited for counter-insurgency and ground attack anyway.

3. Attempt (if at all possible) to consolidate our ground strike forces in a minimum number of airframes. Or at the very least try to make sure the ground strike airframes are using the same munitions.

Loel posted:

That list is pretty handy, and should probably be in the OP :D

Thanks!

Mr. Showtime posted:

You've mixed up agility with aircraft generation and the VC.10 K.4 is not a UAV, but the rest looks good.

Honestly I just took "generation" from the linked pages.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

One other thing I've been thinking about is whether or not it would be feasible to consolidate our forces somewhat after this mission ends (assuming we survive). Our forces have become a mishmash of suppliers and weapons, which long term will likely make our logistics chain even more of a nightmare. So with that in mind I'm wondering if we could do the following:

1. Convert our German Tornadoes into the Saudi Arabian variant (the pair we're buying now). This gives us access to some longer-range munitions like the Storm Shadow and ALARM missiles and also prevents us from having to think about having two different craft with the same name.

2. Sell our SK60Bs, Hawk 209, and SU-25T to the new ruler of Angola. That way someone else can deal with the myriad of loadouts, plus the planes are generally better suited for counter-insurgency and ground attack anyway.

3. Attempt (if at all possible) to consolidate our ground strike forces in a minimum number of airframes. Or at the very least try to make sure the ground strike airframes are using the same munitions.

That does sound wise.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

You know, with the bote, we could potentially start raiding the Dictators lithium shipments, might pay off, also we get to be privateers. Just saying. The Angolan navy is nothing much without its air support.

Edit: Oh, they've some dangerous old Soviet boats, far less plausible than I thought.

Cimbri fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 30, 2017

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So looking things over it seems like we're under-arming our planes. At least according to Wikipedia any craft capable of firing the Sidewinder is also capable of launching the IRIS-T. That's an extra 5 nautical miles of range we can give to our fighters against air threats.

While that should be true, I don't think we can change loadouts for that in CMANO.

Paging Baloogan for clarification.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Weren't we discussing potentially investing in the Count's military as a supplemental thing? Yooper, do we have any options on that front, or do we have to finalize our purchase order of planes first?

Also, what's the word from Our Man In Northern Angola? Jet theft may have just gotten a lot more feasible. Also he might know who would be interested in that Su-30MK data and how much they'd be willing to pay.

How's that new airport looking? Since we're getting new airframes (and potentially more down the road *cough*Kfirs*cough*), would it be an idea to set up a FOB? Then again, we'd need to invest in a whole other load of SAMs and figure out how to divvy up our forces, which might be more trouble than it's worth. Did we capture any intelligence from it? I doubt we caught any planes, since we apparently blew them all up in the air and I doubt the Rangers were too careful about damaging airframes when they took it.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Shame that there's only the one F-15SA. We'll have to put out feelers to see if we can get more of them.

Thread question: What do you folks think is the best Generation 4 fighter for air superiority?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

David Corbett posted:

Shame that there's only the one F-15SA. We'll have to put out feelers to see if we can get more of them.

Thread question: What do you folks think is the best Generation 4 fighter for air superiority?

Clearly the Rafale

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Other things to do are to get at least one more OECM aircraft so that we can still have jamming while one turns away to refuel or return to a loiter point; having a jammer actually pointed at the enemy SAM battery would have made that strike less hairy.

We need a CSAR bird too. And maybe a dedicated ELINT aircraft to go with our AEW&C plane. Speaking of which, upgrading or replacing our AEW&C plane would be a decent investment.

We also need to start expecting enemy jamming to be a thing from here on out. At the very least we might want to invest in some home-on-jam missiles and make killing enemy jammers a priority.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Rafale, Su-35, or one of those weird F-15 upgrades that are being marketed now and then to make it stealthy. F-15 Silent Eagle for instance.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

David Corbett posted:

That's pretty debatable since there are a million and a half statistics that operate under the hood for fighters and other planes. In terms of pure air superiority, you could probably argue for either the Eurofighter Typhoon or Rafael. Both will have a pretty high capacity for carrying a good number of BVR missiles. The Super Hornet can also carry a good number too.

Also you guys are expecting a lot from Jack and being able to steal a bunch of Kfirs, I'm going to laugh when it all fails and we get nothing :colbert:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Jimmy4400nav posted:

That's pretty debatable since there are a million and a half statistics that operate under the hood for fighters and other planes. In terms of pure air superiority, you could probably argue for either the Eurofighter Typhoon or Rafael. Both will have a pretty high capacity for carrying a good number of BVR missiles. The Super Hornet can also carry a good number too.

Also you guys are expecting a lot from Jack and being able to steal a bunch of Kfirs, I'm going to laugh when it all fails and we get nothing :colbert:

For which we will pay nothing. No loss there :cheeky:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Looking at the stats, the Columbian Kfir is hilarious. It is a literal bomb truck. You get two A/A missiles and up to 6000 pounds of unguided bombs.

I take that back. Assuming the ones Columbia sold are the C.10 then they have some guided capability. All of the Kfirs were upgraded to at least the C.7.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 30, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cathode Raymond posted:

Russians have implemented Dark Souls invincible dodging technology in their fighter jets and this is terrifying.

it did a barrel roll

K & P

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Looking at the stats, the Columbian Kfir is hilarious. It is a literal bomb truck. You get two A/A missiles and up to 6000 pounds of unguided bombs.

I take that back. Assuming the ones Columbia sold are the C.10 then they have some guided capability. All of the Kfirs were upgraded to at least the C.7.

Yeah, they're C.10s. We could do with them, especially for the low low price of free.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

There's a near unbeatable mission in the game that's Columbia versus Venezuela. Kfir versus Su-30.

It's retarded and awesome.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Quinntan posted:

Yeah, they're C.10s. We could do with them, especially for the low low price of free.

Maybe not free. We need to sink a few mil into setting up front companies, bribing the right people, building legends and cover stories for our pilots, etc.

I would really, really like to try this plan -- even if we only got eight or nine of the Kifrs , it'd go a long way towards getting us back in fighting trim.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Since I don't have a lot of background information on the various planes that we have I decided to put together a write-up of each, including useful information and common payloads. The goal here was more for my own education than anything else, but I wanted to share and get your input so I know what I might have screwed up or if there are other common loadouts I should be looking at.

This is very useful -- would be nice to have the OP or on the front page!

I'd add the KAB laser-guided bomb loadout to the Frogfoot.

Mr. Showtime posted:

K&P because that bote isn't very good and we need the versatility those Tornadoes provide. I'd love to have that F-15SA, but we're already doing okay on air-to-air stuff thanks to the Meteors our Gripens can carry.

It would be nice to have an aircraft that actually has any range whatsoever, though. Our Gripens have the shortest legs known to man, and they can't spend any time out at range. That F-15SA can carry 6 AIM-120Cs, 2 AIM-9Xs, a DECM pod and its Tiger Eyes IRST out to 200nm and spend 210 minutes there on CAP. Our Gripens have such short legs that they don't even have a CAP loadout--the closest equivalent is their A2A max intercept with 4 Meteors and 2 IRIS-T, which lets them go a piddling 220nm out, blow their load, and then immediately return.

If there were two F-15s in the package instead of one, I'd lean towards buying them over the K&P package. Strike Eagles are just so drat good.

sparkmaster posted:

I figure we could also leverage our data and success into a corporate sponsorship from Saab. In exchange for our Gripen data, I'm sure Saab would upgrade our C model Gripens into Es.

So yes, someone contact Saab corporate communications and see if we can work out a deal.

Saab may or may not want a public relationship with us -- but having tech reps deployed with us would at least be be helpful with keeping maintenance costs down.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 30, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bacarruda posted:

Maybe not free. We need to sink a few mil into setting up front companies, bribing the right people, building legends and cover stories for our pilots, etc.

I would really, really like to try this plan -- even if we only got eight or nine of the Kifrs , it'd go a long way towards getting us back in fighting trim.

At $20M each it seems like a no brainer to try and put a healthy amount of cash into a successful job. $20M should be more than enough to get the front company organized, get the right people in the right place, and handle back end logistics. And even if we get one craft that's a break-even.

quote:

This is very useful -- would be nice to have the OP or on the front page!

I'd add the KAB laser-guided bomb loadout to the Frogfoot.

What I might do is convert the data into some kind of spreadsheet accessible via Google Docs so we have an easier understanding. Which loadout are you referring to? Can you just give me the name from the Wiki?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Buy the two FSXs from NASA and strap bombs on them and flaunt supercruise.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Weren't we discussing potentially investing in the Count's military as a supplemental thing? Yooper, do we have any options on that front, or do we have to finalize our purchase order of planes first?

Also, what's the word from Our Man In Northern Angola? Jet theft may have just gotten a lot more feasible. Also he might know who would be interested in that Su-30MK data and how much they'd be willing to pay.

How's that new airport looking? Since we're getting new airframes (and potentially more down the road *cough*Kfirs*cough*), would it be an idea to set up a FOB? Then again, we'd need to invest in a whole other load of SAMs and figure out how to divvy up our forces, which might be more trouble than it's worth. Did we capture any intelligence from it? I doubt we caught any planes, since we apparently blew them all up in the air and I doubt the Rangers were too careful about damaging airframes when they took it.

I'm trying to keep it to one decision at a time. I found if I hint at the next thing everyone gets excited and then the discussion is on multiple topics. Once we wrap up the plane vote we'll get to other areas.

I added your aircraft roster to the OP Update list. Thank you! This was extraorinarily helpful and saves a lot of time flipping back and forth to Baloogans 90% downtime wiki.

I hear a sound... it's the Dictator's twitter account going into overdrive!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Yooper posted:

I hear a sound... it's the Dictator's twitter account going into overdrive!

Yesssssss.... :unsmigghh:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Long-run, I think Rafales are our endgame as the best fighters we'll be able to buy; anything better is stuff that would still be too new a decade from now for me to see anyone being willing to sell to a PMC.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What I might do is convert the data into some kind of spreadsheet accessible via Google Docs so we have an easier understanding. Which loadout are you referring to? Can you just give me the name from the Wiki?

KAB-500L LGB. Four 500kg laser-guided bombs, two AA-8 Aphids, two drop tanks.

We used it on Operation First Impressions.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
K & P get my vote, it gives us the most in terms of equipment advantage over the other three choices. Also Rest in Peace Silent Bob you fought well. Never doubted Rohan for a moment told you she would pull through. I feel like bombing the Dictator's capital as a measure of revenge.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

The Sandman posted:

Long-run, I think Rafales are our endgame as the best fighters we'll be able to buy; anything better is stuff that would still be too new a decade from now for me to see anyone being willing to sell to a PMC.

We could always see if we could Entrebble a few F-22's from Elmendorf AFB. Sure we might piss of the Americans and they'd never sell to us again, but think of the possibilities! :getin:

Then after some dominance we could lose it all to an up and coming PMC who bombs our airfields with modified Piper Cubs. Gotta complete that circle of life!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yooper posted:

I added your aircraft roster to the OP Update list. Thank you! This was extraorinarily helpful and saves a lot of time flipping back and forth to Baloogans 90% downtime wiki.

Glad I could help!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

While Im thinking of it, what would our order of battle look like with the K+P purchase, the heist, and your logistics fix look like?

8 - JAS 39C Gripen : Meteor & SDB
1 - Hawk 209 SELL
2 - Tornado's
5 - Saab SK60B SELL
6 - F-4E Phantom II - Greek
1 - SU-25 Frogfoot SELL
1 - Saab S 100B
2 - Saudi Tornado CONVERT
2 - AMX A.11
2 - Mirage F.1CR
8 - Kfir C.10
1 - CN235 Cargo Plane
1 - KC-135 Tanker
1 - Sperwer UAV
1 - MQ-9 Reaper
1 - EA-6B Prowler
1 - I-HAWK
1 - C-130E
2 - SA-22
2 - ZSU-23-4
1 - VC10.K4

Loel fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 30, 2017

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Loel posted:

While Im thinking of it, what would our order of battle look like with the K+P purchase, the heist, and your logistics fix look like?

8 - JAS 39C Gripen : Meteor & SDB
1 - Hawk 209
2 - Tornado's
5 - Saab SK60B
6 - F-4E Phantom II - Greek
1 - SU-25 Frogfoot
1 - Saab S 100B
2 - Saudi Tornado
2 - AMX A.11
2 - Mirage F.1CR
8 - Kfir C.10
1 - CN235 Cargo Plane
1 - KC-135 Tanker
1 - Sperwer UAV
1 - MQ-9 Reaper
1 - EA-6B Prowler
1 - I-HAWK
1 - C-130E
2 - SA-22
2 - ZSU-23-4
1 - VC10.K4

We have this list, and I try to keep it maintained, on Post #2. It's also on the Spreadsheet with a complete list of waiting pilots and such.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qiub7A88MRvtKp_SupHHoOrknmSUgbYVYkX5USpuxio/edit?usp=sharing

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Yooper posted:

We have this list, and I try to keep it maintained, on Post #2. It's also on the Spreadsheet with a complete list of waiting pilots and such.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qiub7A88MRvtKp_SupHHoOrknmSUgbYVYkX5USpuxio/edit?usp=sharing

Oh, when I was saying Beer's list should be in the OP, I meant the bit with missile load outs, purposes etc. A lot of us dont know it :D

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Since we don't have to hassle with real-world logistics I don't see much reason to consolidate our airframes. Having a weird mix is cool. However, single planes of a given class are not very useful except for specialized support stuff, so we should probably sell those.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

It took awhile for Delvanios Dos Santos to get onto Twitter, but oh boy, you guys are gonna love this.

It seems the Air Marshall didn't properly update the Dictator...

Dos Santos doesn't like to be challenged. But maybe a seed of doubt was planted?

There we go!

So there it is! We'll have an intel review coming later that'll tell you guys how the theater is shaping up. The next mission is going to be a longer event, prepare to plan for a 24 hour op that may, or may not, have any action. We'll try to make it feel more like a real op.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bacarruda posted:

KAB-500L LGB. Four 500kg laser-guided bombs, two AA-8 Aphids, two drop tanks.

We used it on Operation First Impressions.

Done!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Wonder if we're going to be seeing a wing from CHY-NA

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I almost feel bad for the latest Air Admiral...the guy was clearly a genius, even if he fought for the wrong side. God knows how somebody so competent somehow managed to last without getting killed as a threat.

On the other hand, we lost Bacarruda because of him, so I'm not feeling too bad about it. (That's one way to make sure he can't monopolise mission planning!)

Is there anything we can do for Rohan at this point? Maybe we should have a wake for everyone we've lost so far...help work through the grief together.

Yooper posted:

Could I quickly clarify my request for being a pilot on a multi-engined support plane (if that's not too specific). My dude's a former airline pilot, not a single-engine combat pilot. It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Interdict them while they're ferrying in and thus unarmed and low on fuel. Force them to divert to one of our airfields or be destroyed.

If they're being shipped in, there'll be a substantial delay between orders being placed and crated aircraft arriving. It also gives us the chance to hit whatever they're shipping the planes in on.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Did he have to burn the hyenas? The hyenas were hardly at fault for anything.

Plus he's kind of an idiot for believing his air marshall. I mean so many planes exploded and crashed everywhere that you could probably ask any local how many planes got shot down and they would say more than four.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Did he have to burn the hyenas? The hyenas were hardly at fault for anything.

Plus he's kind of an idiot for believing his air marshall. I mean so many planes exploded and crashed everywhere that you could probably ask any local how many planes got shot down and they would say more than four.

I suspect he burn-stomped a body-double and the cunning air marshal has escaped the country in a trenchcoat and fake mustache at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

David Corbett posted:

In the game + game timeline? Usually 4-4.5-y stuff like Su-35s, Rafales (only if they're new enough for Meteor; they're pretty trash at air-to-air otherwise), Eurofighters, later F-15 variants (e.g. Slam Eagle), later J-10s, J-15s, and Super Hornets with AIM-120D if you can stomach their short legs. Most things that can carry PL-12, AIM-120C/D, Meteor, or R-77-1 are capable of putting up a good fight, though.

Everything gets eaten alive to various degrees by F-22s/F-35s/J-20s/PAK FAs, but the 4.5s can occasionally hit back if your opponent is dumb enough (i.e. is the AI).

Cabbage Disrespect fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 30, 2017