Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lorini posted:

Turns out there's two Elements out there right now. Can you link the one you played?

This one. Element singular (and there are multiple Elements because why not). Looks like it's a remake of a small release ten year old game. The big difference is you draw stones from a bag in the new version instead of rolling dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

al-azad posted:

This one. Element singular (and there are multiple Elements because why not). Looks like it's a remake of a small release ten year old game. The big difference is you draw stones from a bag in the new version instead of rolling dice.

From the description, I thought it was going to be about this old rear end game I got from an issue of KODT once upon a time: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3644/elemental

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Gimnbo posted:

I just want to thank everyone who suggested that Yokohama was Kickstarter worth backing. Only one game played so far, but everyone involved loved it, even if it took forever for me to clumsily set up and explain the game.

I really want to play my copy, but it hasn't worked out yet.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

malkav11 posted:

Miniatures games are not my thing, but I still really want this to be true.

Does Lo5R have guns in-setting or is it strictly medieval Japan?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Do you have any experience with the other State of Siege games? I had been interested in Cruel Necessity (reportedly the best of them). The idea of playing through the history of the English Civil War(s) excites me, but I'd been told that after a few playthroughs it becomes a game of memorizing and anticipating the deck (which sounds kinda boring).

No, sorry. I have very very little interest in historical scenarios so the only things I've purchased from Victory Point Games are their more fantastical games, like Dawn of the Zeds, Nemo's War, and Darkest Night. (well, exactly those three, actually). I can highly recommend Darkest Night, which is brilliant and should be even better in the new edition, but I suspect the other two are going to end up being mistakes since as I noted before, I don't really tend to get around to solitaire boardgaming and the supposed coop they were adding for the new editions is a bad joke.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Does Lo5R have guns in-setting or is it strictly medieval Japan?

http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Flintlock_weapons

Apparently they do. I dunno that you'd see them much though.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Are people backing the new KS hot game Clans of Caledonia? It's apparently actually like Terra Mystica except with whiskey and cheese or something, unlike Scythe which just pretended it was like Terra Mystica so everyone would buy it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/680649956/clans-of-caledonia-a-game-about-whisky-trade-and-g

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Kiranamos posted:

? It's apparently actually like Terra Mystica except with whiskey and cheese or something, unlike Scythe which just pretended it was like Terra Mystica so everyone would buy it.

It's like Terra Mystica in their important way it's good.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Cheen posted:

Of all of them I would play everything a second time with enthusiasm except for Cosmic Encounter The game just feels so sloppy and loose and that there isn't that deep of a strategy. Can someone change my view?

I sort of enjoy this game but it takes too long on average and the game length is also extremely random, ranging up to several hours in the worst cases. While the diplomatic part is enjoyable enough, the Destiny deck kinda ruins it. It'd be a nicer game if it lasted half an hour on average, didn't randomize your targets, and didn't have broken combos you can just RNG into without any thought. Basically a convoluted way of saying I like the art and variety of alien powers.

Also, I'm ordering Mage Knight after demo'ing it. We made a few mistakes, but if you don't try to cut corners and stick to the rules when starting out it's not that bad. Takes a long time though, so I don't think it'll see much play since our attention spans often don't stretch past an hour or two these days.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
MK is also really good solo, if you get the urge to take up a dining room table for 3-4 hours.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Lol if you don't have a dedicated Geek Chic™ table.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

Lol if you don't have a dedicated Geek Chic™ table.

I just pulled the trigger on a Carolina Game Table since I kinda need a dining room table, looking forward to it

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kiranamos posted:

Are people backing the new KS hot game Clans of Caledonia? It's apparently actually like Terra Mystica except with whiskey and cheese or something, unlike Scythe which just pretended it was like Terra Mystica so everyone would buy it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/680649956/clans-of-caledonia-a-game-about-whisky-trade-and-g

My friend and I are, can't wait :).

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Gimnbo posted:

I just want to thank everyone who suggested that Yokohama was Kickstarter worth backing. Only one game played so far, but everyone involved loved it, even if it took forever for me to clumsily set up and explain the game.

It snowed here today so we broke out Yokohama and played it again, it's a great game. Plenty of option to interact with but not completely block the other player out.

Also played:

51st state master set - haven't decided how I feel about this game yet. It's interesting and we have played it 8-10 times but it's nobody's favorite.

Roll for the Galaxy - chuck dice and talk what's not to like.

Euphoria - I like the game but it always appears to end a little early.

Pandemic or Energy Empire is up next.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Gimnbo posted:

I've played it twice this week. Love the production values of the deluxe edition and really like the game. Lots of paths to victory and a good amount of random setup to keep it fresh. But holy hell that game has some rules overhead, and get ready to die of boredom if your friends won't plan their turns during other people's turns.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

My group of 4 just finished April in Pandemic Legacy, with 3 wins in a row. I am very frightened for our chances in May due to having none of the special cards and loving zombies man.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah we ran out of funding as well and we got beaten in our last match. It was close, but definitely requires more careful play. P:L is so much fun :3:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I played Troyes today and found it really unfun. The combination of being dependent on dice + seeing the dice you drafted stolen away from you before your turn even begins is really aggravating.

I normally don't mind games where your resources can be taken from you, but generally it involves some kind of effort/setup from your opponent (for example, a mapgame where they send a military unit or whatever towards you) and you can prepare for it potentially; but anyone being able to yoink your die away at any point for just two gold is irritating, even if you can do it too.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

Jabor posted:

I think most people here are pretty much in agreement with your view.

The game is total garbage unless it was the first board game you ever played and you're wearing a huge pair of nostalgia goggles.

I'm one of the few here who disagrees, and I think total garbage is awfully harsh. I bought Cosmic Encounter a few years back along with a couple of the expansions (Incursion for the Defense Rewards deck which I think is pretty key, and Dominion for some weird aliens), and -almost- everyone I've played it with has had a great time. Now, it's not perfect and things can definitely go wrong. Sometimes you get a bad combination of aliens, and that can really bring the game down. Sometimes the game takes a little too long, and sometimes it really drags when everyone's at 4 planets. Some people get bothered by the imbalanced aliens, and how it's the players' jobs to adjust for that. If you or your players are the kind of people that hate Galaxy Trucker, you will have a bad time. BUT the vast majority of the time it's a hell of a lot of fun, and one of the games that people regularly ask me to bring back. Also there are just so many aliens and extra little modules you can add or remove that its replayability is second to none. To call it the best game of all time like SUSD does is a major loving stretch and an example of the biggest nostalgia goggles possible, but I still dig it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah it's fun enough but you really need a fun gaming group so the duds (anything with 4+ players and the Hate for example) don't cause it to be shelved forever right away. One of my friends owns all expansions and it does make a difference, though. I wouldn't play the base game like I would with, say, Dominion etc.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"we had Fun" does not make a game good.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

please knock Mom! posted:

Yeah it's fun enough but you really need a fun gaming group so the duds (anything with 4+ players and the Hate for example) don't cause it to be shelved forever right away. One of my friends owns all expansions and it does make a difference, though. I wouldn't play the base game like I would with, say, Dominion etc.

5 players is definitely the limit, any more than that and it's way too slow and long. And yeah, I think the Rewards Deck from Incursion is important, moreso than Flares or Tech or any of that. Like Viticulture with the extended board, I'm not sure I'd ever want to go back.

Jabor posted:

I'd say it's a pretty key element

terebikun fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 1, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jabor posted:

You're able to discuss the fun parts of specific games while at the same time acknowledging its mechanical flaws and merits.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

terebikun posted:

I'd say it's a pretty key element

It's the ticket of entry not the ultimate test. If a game isn't fun, it's kindling.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"How fast can you shotgun a beer?" is not a good game, despite being very Fun.

Being Fun is not enough to call something a "good game". If your discussion of a game goes "well there are all these objectively bad things about this game, but It Was Fun when I was playing it with my friends who I already enjoy the company of", then perhaps the game wasn't actually the thing that made that social event enjoyable. It's okay to play bad games. It's okay to enjoy bad games! But if you want to claim that a game isn't bad, you should bring something more substantive than it being Fun the last time you played it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Jabor posted:

Being Fun is not enough to call something a "good game". If your discussion of a game goes "well there are all these objectively bad things about this game, but It Was Fun when I was playing it with my friends who I already enjoy the company of", then perhaps the game wasn't actually the thing that made that social event enjoyable. It's okay to play bad games. It's okay to enjoy bad games! But if you want to claim that a game isn't bad, you should bring something more substantive than it being Fun the last time you played it.

The End posted:

It's the ticket of entry not the ultimate test. If a game isn't fun, it's kindling.

Yeah fun is not the only necessary element, but it is a necessary element.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

When you are spending money and actively seeking the most fun for your money, being selective is important.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There's an old adage in tabletop RPG playing, "a good GM can make any system fun", the implication being that the quality of your game group needs to be removed from the equation when considering the quality of the game itself.

To use a different metaphor, just because your friend can make really good food out of cheap-rear end ingredients doesn't make the ingredients good.

the panacea posted:

Don't listen to this dishwasher. Everyone in this thread knows that the weight:money ratio is the key factor.
All hail our lord and master Steve Jackson.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 1, 2017

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

dishwasherlove posted:

When you are spending money and actively seeking the most fun for your money, being selective is important.

Don't listen to this dishwasher. Everyone in this thread knows that the weight:money ratio is the key factor.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I actually own their Frag game. It's awful.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

please knock Mom! posted:

I actually own their Frag game. It's awful.
I tried playing Frag once. The big issue is just how goddamn long everything takes for what's supposed to be a very fast-paced genre.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Kiranamos posted:

Just skipped around in the Man vs. Meeple video. I have to admit nothing really caught my attention, but that could just be that the video itself was fairly boring. The game seemed like an amalgamation of a few Euro ideas from different popular games. What makes it appealing and a "hot game"?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megasabin posted:

Just skipped around in the Man vs. Meeple video. I have to admit nothing really caught my attention, but that could just be that the video itself was fairly boring. The game seemed like an amalgamation of a few Euro ideas from different popular games. What makes it appealing and a "hot game"?

It has the same art design as Isle of Skye.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

Jabor posted:

If you're going to be incredibly condescending, it's worth pointing out that in your OP you offered no objective critiques, while I actually did offer one in mine (replayability).

And who are you to say "How fast can you shotgun a beer?" isn't a good game? It's short, cheap, has a simple ruleset, tough waterproof pieces, interesting to observers, generates a decent amount of tension, and I've often seen people like it so much they play games back to back.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

terebikun posted:

If you're going to be incredibly condescending, it's worth pointing out that in your OP you offered no objective critiques, while I actually did offer one in mine (replayability).

And who are you to say "How fast can you shotgun a beer?" isn't a good game? It's short, cheap, has a simple ruleset, tough waterproof pieces, interesting to observers, generates a decent amount of tension, and I've often seen people like it so much they play games back to back.

I think a lot of people in this thread confuse "things I personally like in a board game" with "Objectively good attributes to a board game".

Fun is ultimately the only measure you can make to determine if a game is "good". All other measures are just contributing factors to how fun the games is. The other factors (like balance, replayability, depth of strategy, randomness) are simply means to an end, where as the fun is the end in itself. There is no way to objectively determine if a game is good/bad in a vacuum, only if it is fun/not fun for a particular group or person.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

terebikun posted:

Fun is a big ol well ok thing, since what you find fun might not have any bearing on what someone else does

I take it into account but it alone is not remotely enough to make me want to buy a game, also it has been a while since the last Fun War.

I only did a couple games on TT day, a game of Scythe and a game of Eldritch Horror (Won the first with a PB of 99, 3-player, and i wasn't even at the top of the pop track). Man i gotta find more people in WI to game with that aren't lovely.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fun is purely subjective. The object of games is to have fun, so "having fun" is just saying if you liked playing the game or not. You can't have a discussion about board games purely based on if your group liked it or not because there's no frame of reference unless you supply it. "I had fun with it because..." is good because it elaborates on why you like something. It's possible to play badly constructed games and still have fun. Objective criteria for games can exist. Critique of board games is still really immature because people conflate liking a game with the game being good.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Also still nowadays people say "fun" when what they actually mean "light-hearted and silly", which is just plain wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I think Monopoly is pretty fun

:agesilaus: