Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Looks great, where's the head from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Its from Bad Squiddo

http://badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Heads/c/21237340/offset=0&sort=normal

Tho the pony tail is cut from the beard of a GW 5th edition dwarf warriors sprue

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Frobbe posted:

looking for suggestions on how to achieve the rusty red GW has on their promethium relay pipes as seen here

According to the box it is Mephiston Red then Agrax, then drybrushed Necron Compound. I'd say two to three coats of Agrax might do it. Alternatively airbrush the Agrax on for more control.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Its from Bad Squiddo

Tho the pony tail is cut from the beard of a GW 5th edition dwarf warriors sprue

Bookmarked for more Stormcasts.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
I finished a thing.

Mind the lack of edge highlights. This was for a contest and had to forgo them to make sure it got done in time.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

According to the box it is Mephiston Red then Agrax, then drybrushed Necron Compound. I'd say two to three coats of Agrax might do it. Alternatively airbrush the Agrax on for more control.

somehow it never occurred to me to look at the box, Even though Saint Duncan repeats this in every sermon.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Major Spag posted:

I finished a thing.

Mind the lack of edge highlights. This was for a contest and had to forgo them to make sure it got done in time.

drat, I haven't seen orange BA in ages. Takes me back.
Looks great as is, don't overdo the highlights.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I stole a conversion idea I saw online

http://eastern-empire.com/warhammer-quest-dwarf-ranger/

(I made a light box, but the paint is like, super reflective inside it. It kinda fucks with the contrast)

Trying spraying matte on the inside. Much like how matte works on models, it reflects while diffusing the light so you dont get super bright reflections. Photographers do this with their lights by bouncing the light off matte dishes

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
High Roller Trigger is awesome. Thanks for the heads up, Badger Airbrush Goons.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Major Spag posted:

I finished a thing.

I do want to see this with edge highlights, but I love your bold color choices, and the color scheme and caution stripes really take me back.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

I do want to see this with edge highlights, but I love your bold color choices, and the color scheme and caution stripes really take me back.

2e/3e BA colors were the best.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hello Painting Thread

I have decided to try and get back into 40k, after not playing since 3rd edition. Not that I ever really "played", but I digress...

I picked up some Imperial Guard infantry for my first new army and have been experimenting with some techniques that I heard about online. The last time I painted anything was when I was a kid, and they all looked like this abomination.

My test Guard currently looks like this. Still not the best, but at least something of an improvement. I still need to get flesh paint and figure out how to do the layers correctly, but my biggest question is whether my wash over the armor and pants is way too much or if it looks appropriate. It's hard to see on the armor, but the red wash that GW recommended on the pants give it a neat dirty, but messy look. I'm not sure if this a result of putting too much on, or if I should not be covering so much of the model with the wash and sticking only to the divots.

Criticism greatly appreciated!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Its from Bad Squiddo

Cool, Annie's really been adding to the conversion bits.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

My test Guard currently looks like this. Still not the best, but at least something of an improvement. I still need to get flesh paint and figure out how to do the layers correctly, but my biggest question is whether my wash over the armor and pants is way too much or if it looks appropriate. It's hard to see on the armor, but the red wash that GW recommended on the pants give it a neat dirty, but messy look. I'm not sure if this a result of putting too much on, or if I should not be covering so much of the model with the wash and sticking only to the divots.

Looks good to me. Keep going!

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So here's some Vikings/Danes. Penis alert

Now I get to rebase them down to 25mm. BRB, crying.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
....lmao, what. Miniature penii?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Miniatures need more dongs to balance out the tits, honestly.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

EVIL Gibson posted:

Trying spraying matte on the inside. Much like how matte works on models, it reflects while diffusing the light so you dont get super bright reflections. Photographers do this with their lights by bouncing the light off matte dishes

Interesting, I've never heard of that. Thanks for the tip!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hello Painting Thread

I have decided to try and get back into 40k, after not playing since 3rd edition. Not that I ever really "played", but I digress...

I picked up some Imperial Guard infantry for my first new army and have been experimenting with some techniques that I heard about online. The last time I painted anything was when I was a kid, and they all looked like this abomination.

Have you watched our lord and savior Duncan's videos on Cadians? I mean honestly, watching him and copying him took me from those blob paint marines to pretty drat decent. He is the god of miniatures painting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enUqWuU-Nns

Your shading looks bad. Not to be a jerk, I know where you are and I was just as bad. But like, yeah, you're doing something wrong. The Khaki is a good color, but the shade on the khahki isn't where it should be. Its pooled up in bad splotches and there's no shade at all on the creases where there should be.

Some of it looks good, the pocket on his leg is caught by the shade perfectly and makes it pop, same with his arm creases. But the back of the legs have big gaps with no shade at all, which makes it look inconsistent. You want to apply a nice thin amount of the wash all over the model, and let it naturally fall in the cracks. If you see it start to pool up, try to grab it with your brush and spread it around or just grab some and then clean your brush to "erase" the pooling.

The front chestpiece looks like it has some good black shading around the armor elements, but the back piece looks really flat. The gun and shoulderpads look a tad blobby too.

Probably just need to thin your paints more and change up how you're using your washes. :thumbsup:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cool, I'll check it out. Looking at the pictures the blank parts on the back of the legs were from where I tried to do layering, failed, and covered it up but forgot to re-wash it. I'll double check with the rest, though. Glad that I have at least the basic theory down though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Cool, I'll check it out. Looking at the pictures the blank parts on the back of the legs were from where I tried to do layering, failed, and covered it up but forgot to re-wash it. I'll double check with the rest, though. Glad that I have at least the basic theory down though.

Yeah I was considering that. And I'm still learning the same thing myself, I can get a nice base layer down and then wash it and it looks pretty great but a bit dark, so then I try to be like Duncan and add some layering on top to brighten it up and I end up going too far and ruining the whole thing.

This is especially challenging I find for exposed arms, trying to do the layering of the flesh colors is just... really hard to get right. You end up going too far and then the whole thing looks splotchy.

Practice makes perfect :)

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello thread, meet Garret, the Barbarian Archer;

He's starting to get on in years and feels his bones creaking (though, he won't say anything about it).

I'm not 100% pleased with him but he looks fine enough.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Irate Tree posted:

He's starting to get on in years and feels his bones creaking (though, he won't say anything about it).

I'm not 100% pleased with him but he looks fine enough.

Hi Garret :wave:

That expression is 'I've seen some poo poo'

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried using a purple wash, instead of a red, around his eyes to try and convey that he's either older or just poorly.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Irate Tree posted:

I tried using a purple wash, instead of a red, around his eyes to try and convey that he's either older or just poorly.

Yep, nailed it! I like to use red/purple and sometimes yellow glazes very sparingly in faces for tones - it adds a lot of character

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hello Painting Thread

As Zaphod said, you'll want to thin the wash more and then apply it a bit more evenly, making sure it hits all the cracks. Then you'll probably want to go back over the raised areas with a thinned layer of your base color to bring the mid-tone and highlights back up, then go with a highlight color.

I'd also recommend doing the flesh tone before you do too much else on the helmet area or the gun. That way, if you get flesh paint on the other bits, it'll get covered up when you get to those parts. I generally start with the innermost parts of a model and work my way out for that reason.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Looking really good man, welcome back to late nights lightly stroking men!

If you haven't already, take a look at this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enUqWuU-Nns

It might help :)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to pick up some flesh tone and hopefully get it fixed up.

Can anyone recommend a good pair of good, sturdy sprue clippers? I picked up the fancy "Official CItadel Tools" blah blah blah clippers and the loving things shattered in my hand as I was trying to cut a head out.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Can anyone recommend a good pair of good, sturdy sprue clippers? I picked up the fancy "Official CItadel Tools" blah blah blah clippers and the loving things shattered in my hand as I was trying to cut a head out.
I bought some for $5 off Amazon and they've cut out hundreds of models at this point.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Question for the thread; purple ink for lining dark red Word Bearers armour? Or stick to black?
(Alternate option: green)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to pick up some flesh tone and hopefully get it fixed up.

Yeah I hate the official citadel cutters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TMZ7QA/

Works like a champ

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Question for the thread; purple ink for lining dark red Word Bearers armour? Or stick to black?
(Alternate option: green)

I'd definitely go purple. Word Bearers armor should be almost Burgundy IMO to set them apart from like, World Eaters or Crimson Slaughter which are just proper red red.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I have a pair of the old plastic handle cutters and they're pretty nice to use. But I imagine they're impossible to get these days anyway. The new ones feel a bit too slippery because there's zero grip on the metal handles.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd definitely go purple. Word Bearers armor should be almost Burgundy IMO to set them apart from like, World Eaters or Crimson Slaughter which are just proper red red.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I've got a pretty limited colour selection so this is probably the easiest way to get that slightly burgundy look.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Not sure if it would be better here or in the terrain thread, but I got some neat forest bases for my warmachine guys (because I suck at basing normally), and some of them have a molded-on branch or two. I was thinking of going with Japanese maple trees, because they have some strikingly neat red leaves (which I can do easily enough with some birch seeds and red ink). Thing is, I'm kinda stumped on what colors to use on the bark of these branches. It seems like it's almost a light grey over a khaki/tan, but IMO trying to get the grey paint that translucent that an underlying layer of paint will still be visible would just end up with grey-paint-tinted water, rather than actual paint, and I don't think a brown wash over grey paint will achieve the same effect (though I could be wrong).

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

SRM posted:

Thanks. I don't go too far into 2e/3e town for my army but the orangy-red is something I try to keep.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

GW loving got me to buy their smack after 15 years of being clean.

Sylvaneth just look so awesome.

Edit: Hat tip to Next Level Painting, home of John Cena gifs and vaping, for inspiration on the colors.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 1, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

This is hot.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

dexefiend posted:

GW loving got me to buy their smack after 15 years of being clean.

Sylvaneth just look so awesome.

Edit: Hat tip to Next Level Painting, home of John Cena gifs and vaping, for inspiration on the colors.

Dem treemans look good. I want those minis for D&D, since I use a lot of creepy fey stuff.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Got a Nob finished up. Of course after I got him all done I made the decision that I'm going to rebase the bastard on a 32mm before I go too far painting many more. They just don't fit well on a 25mm.

I've never rebased a mini before, so here's hoping I don't end up messing up the paint too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Recently got the Non Death Chaos set from Vallejo and decided to take it out for a spin.