Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SSNeoman posted:

Steven Mnuchin: Hahahahah you are like a little baby! Watch this

He has a long way to go to ever top Henry Paulson. The man got to savor watching his competitive equivalents come begging to him for aid, and then put everything at risk by telling them no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

Oh sure, we could bring back manufacturing jobs by deindustrializing the rest of the world by repeated violence, or by destroying automation and doing everything by hand. I'm sure UAW and USW and UMWA members would gladly go along with that.

Free trade is what deindustrialized the third world. If you knew anything about history or economics you'd know that. In Mexico the most efficient export-facing industries benefitted from NAFTA but less efficient industries got destroyed, and the employment gain in the export sector did not offset losses in the other sectors.

As for TPP it would probably help Japan but as for countries like the Philippines or Indonesia it's questionable

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Brainiac Five posted:

$15/hr was the living wage, back in the 1990s, for a single parent with a single child. It became the centerpiece of the movement for a higher national minimum wage for that reason, especially after being publicized in Barbara Ehrenreich's book about living off the minimum wage, Nickel and Dimed. Nationally, the current equivalent would be about $25/hr. Note that Ehrenreich didn't insist that this be entirely via cash, because the standard of living does vary significantly from place to place ($15/hr still would be a living wage for a single parent in many more rural parts of the country) and because single parents with multiple children would need more money. (And in current terms, that would drive the minimum wage above the current median household income to take that into account).

I am sure the brain trust in this thread will take the preceding statements to be an attack on $15/hr. The point, however, is that that number has a meaning, and it has a reasoning behind it, and it has an inspiring message behind it, where most Bernout justifications for it don't. This is important because "15 bucks an hour because 15 bucks an hour" is not compelling compared to "22 bucks an hour so no child ever goes hungry or without shoes", and because supplementary housing and childcare programs to meet the gap would especially benefit people skeptical that the current Berniecrat message leaves minorities out in the cold or as second-class citizens.

In the future, it would be super helpful if you'd go directly to making the post that's at least tangentially rooted in facts or data, instead of first emptyposting sarcastic emoticons for like three pages because nobody was reading your mind.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Brainiac Five posted:

Alternatively, people have ideological beliefs about the way the world works, which leads them to support, eg, Republicans, Dianne Feinsteins, etc.

My point is that you've provided a lot of evidence that you're very well educated, but you're also leaning heavily on rhetoric about "reeducation camps" etc. You want to impress us all with your big vocabulary but get into colorful ad-hom bullshit detailing just how much you despise people who don't agree with you. All the while getting mad over things like saying that "President Boyfriend" was a gay slur and accusing all the people who disagree with your positions to be homophobes (for the record, I'm gay, I didn't find it a slur, and I don't agree with many of your positions at all.)

You can't pretend to be above everyone and rub their noses in the same kind of poo poo you're shaming them for.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

My point is that you've provided a lot of evidence that you're very well educated, but you're also leaning heavily on rhetoric about "reeducation camps" etc. You want to impress us all with your big vocabulary but get into colorful ad-hom bullshit detailing just how much you despise people who don't agree with you. All the while getting mad over things like saying that "President Boyfriend" was a gay slur and accusing all the people who disagree with your positions to be homophobes (for the record, I'm gay, I didn't find it a slur, and I don't agree with many of your positions at all.)

You can't pretend to be above everyone and rub their noses in the same kind of poo poo you're shaming them for.

I'm pretending Brainiac Five is fishmech hiding in his basement, afraid for his life

He's going to shitpost his way to freedom

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Craptacular! posted:

Well they can, it's just that any observant person should have noticed this and just ignored that person.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gtrmp posted:

In the future, it would be super helpful if you'd go directly to making the post that's at least tangentially rooted in facts or data, instead of first emptyposting sarcastic emoticons for like three pages because nobody was reading your mind.

This is something I knew about in two thousand-loving-nine when I was but an itty-bitty undergrad, y'all have no loving excuse to be this ignorant and proud of it, or to foster this ignorance instead of beating knowledge into these fucks.

icantfindaname posted:

Free trade is what deindustrialized the third world. If you knew anything about history or economics you'd know that. In Mexico the most efficient export-facing industries benefitted from NAFTA but less efficient industries got destroyed, and the employment gain in the export sector did not offset losses in the other sectors.

As for TPP it would probably help Japan but as for countries like the Philippines or Indonesia it's questionable

Lmao. Anyways, for those of us who've managed to graduate from college, we can understand that the dominance of American manufacturing during the period from 1945 to 1970 was almost entirely due to the fact that the world was a captive market for most of it, the US being the only industrialized nation that wasn't in tatters. As soon as 1) pre-existing industrial nations recovered and 2) the "tiger economies" began developing, American manufacturing shrank precipitously, with fully half of its decline in share of employment in the past 44 years being for the decade from 1973 to 1983. Even though the Washington Consensus and faulty import substitution models were able to crush major industrialization in Latin America and Subsaharan Africa, they've still recovered enough industrial output to necessitate violence against them in order to recover the dominant position of American manufacturing, let alone crushing Vietnam, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, etc.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Craptacular! posted:

no he just adhoms like crazy for the fun of it i think. he was trying to imply i was some trust fund brat in another thread

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

This is something I knew about in two thousand-loving-nine when I was but an itty-bitty undergrad, y'all have no loving excuse to be this ignorant and proud of it, or to foster this ignorance instead of beating knowledge into these fucks.

haha this is just :discourse:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

I'm pretending Brainiac Five is fishmech hiding in his basement, afraid for his life

He's going to shitpost his way to freedom

Your obsessive desire to murder someone for correcting you on something really marks you as a stellar personality. Your mom teach you to be a sniveling coward like that?

twodot posted:

Well they can, it's just that any observant person should have noticed this and just ignored that person.

I do appreciate that one of the more notorious cop apologists gets a pass.

Craptacular! posted:

What do you mean "leaning on rhetoric"? I do believe in the forcible reeducation of people, since there will inevitably be holdout reactionaries and the like who need to be crushed, and we might as well throw in y'all if you're going to hold on to whining about "identity politics" and such.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Brainiac Five posted:

this is D&D. why are you here if you don't wanna debate and discuss?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

this is D&D. why are you here if you don't wanna debate and discuss?

What? Willful ignorance is shameful. I know you CSPAM subhumans don't understand that, because you have a prion disease which has eaten big gaping holes in your brain, and so it's kind of mean to attack you for it, but by God, some of you might possibly be salvageable.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Mister Facetious posted:

The bankers certainly didn't think so. Openly, too.

I eagerly await Brainiac Five to proclaim this isn't Hillary's fault!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Brainiac Five posted:

What do you mean "leaning on rhetoric"? I do believe in the forcible reeducation of people, since there will inevitably be holdout reactionaries and the like who need to be crushed, and we might as well throw in y'all if you're going to hold on to whining about "identity politics" and such.

god i hope this is just a joke

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dizz posted:

Nice meltdown in the "The Democrats are a waste" thread

Glad to see you'd chastise me rather than the rear end in a top hat who decided to start throwing personal insults around.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Your obsessive desire to murder someone for correcting you on something really marks you as a stellar personality.

Can you really not see why this is a pretty hypocritical sentence when you post it?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Condiv posted:

Why? If someone is a fascist Trumpkin, they need to either be forcibly fixed or killed. Period. I mean, you can explain to me what a Nazi brings to our civilization.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alienwarehouse posted:

I eagerly await Brainiac Five to proclaim this isn't Hillary's fault!

I 1000% do not give a poo poo about your gotchas.

Condiv posted:

Looks like someone is in a low political moral state!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

:wrong: again. That's three strikes!

$15/hr was the living wage, back in the 1990s, for a single parent with a single child. It became the centerpiece of the movement for a higher national minimum wage for that reason, especially after being publicized in Barbara Ehrenreich's book about living off the minimum wage, Nickel and Dimed. Nationally, the current equivalent would be about $25/hr. Note that Ehrenreich didn't insist that this be entirely via cash, because the standard of living does vary significantly from place to place ($15/hr still would be a living wage for a single parent in many more rural parts of the country) and because single parents with multiple children would need more money. (And in current terms, that would drive the minimum wage above the current median household income to take that into account).

I am sure the brain trust in this thread will take the preceding statements to be an attack on $15/hr. The point, however, is that that number has a meaning, and it has a reasoning behind it, and it has an inspiring message behind it, where most Bernout justifications for it don't. This is important because "15 bucks an hour because 15 bucks an hour" is not compelling compared to "22 bucks an hour so no child ever goes hungry or without shoes", and because supplementary housing and childcare programs to meet the gap would especially benefit people skeptical that the current Berniecrat message leaves minorities out in the cold or as second-class citizens.

Nobody is arguing that 15 bucks an hour is enough, but it's a start and opens the door to further reform.

What the gently caress is this silly-rear end book?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Can you really not see why this is a pretty hypocritical sentence when you post it?

No, because I'm not threatening people for correcting me, I'm threatening them out of a sincere belief that threats are one of the few things that can motivate them, along with a sincere belief that they have malevolent purposes, and a sincere belief that at least some of them are fascists or on their way to fascism.

SSNeoman posted:

Nobody is arguing that 15 bucks an hour is enough, but it's a start and opens the door to further reform.

What the gently caress is this silly-rear end book?

Plenty of people have been, actually, though mostly out of kneejerk reactions rather than any conscious thought. But gently caress off for disrespecting Barbara Ehrenreich, who's done a hell of a lot more for leftism in this country than you ever will.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't click on the link, silly me. :blush:

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Brainiac Five posted:

Lmao. Anyways, for those of us who've managed to graduate from college, we can understand that the dominance of American manufacturing during the period from 1945 to 1970 was almost entirely due to the fact that the world was a captive market for most of it, the US being the only industrialized nation that wasn't in tatters. As soon as 1) pre-existing industrial nations recovered and 2) the "tiger economies" began developing, American manufacturing shrank precipitously, with fully half of its decline in share of employment in the past 44 years being for the decade from 1973 to 1983. Even though the Washington Consensus and faulty import substitution models were able to crush major industrialization in Latin America and Subsaharan Africa, they've still recovered enough industrial output to necessitate violence against them in order to recover the dominant position of American manufacturing, let alone crushing Vietnam, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, etc.

Hardly any of these gains can be attributed to NAFTA directly as far as Mexico is concerned, which was at best neutral, at worse contributed to loving up the country, and the rest of Latin America would probably have been hosed had FTAA come into play. NAFTA caused a massive economic crisis in Mexico and wages still haven't remotely recovered.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Brainiac Five posted:

Looks like someone is in a low political moral state!

more like i'm hoping you're not actually some freak that wants reeducation camps. that's just messed up b5

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Condiv posted:

b5 is no joke, that's serious education right there

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

This is something I knew about in two thousand-loving-nine when I was but an itty-bitty undergrad,

fishmech!

It really is you!

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Agnosticnixie posted:

Hardly any of these gains can be attributed to NAFTA directly as far as Mexico is concerned, which was at best neutral, at worse contributed to loving up the country, and the rest of Latin America would probably have been hosed had FTAA come into play. NAFTA caused a massive economic crisis in Mexico and wages still haven't remotely recovered.

Please read what I'm actually saying. Replacing NAFTA with a free-trade agreement more favorable to Mexican economic development is ideal, but replacing NAFTA for the purposes of "bringing back jobs", or other protectionist measures, would be worse for Mexico, since it would eliminate even the crumbs they have now, rather than giving them a whole cake, as it were.

Condiv posted:

more like i'm hoping you're not actually some freak that wants reeducation camps. that's just messed up b5

Well just look at this reformism. And you call yourself a leftist!

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

fishmech!

It really is you!

So what exactly are you doing to put your murderous fantasies about fishmech into reality? Or are you, as I've come to suspect, only willing to fantasize in the abstract because you're worried about being unable to perform when push comes to shove? Because there's a whole sector of the pharmaceuticals industry dedicated to medicalizing and medicating that very problem!

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
Effectronica: All of you are racist Bernouts who deserve to lose because you hold the rest of the country in contempt

also Effectronica: everyone else in this thread is an uneducated, brain-damaged subhuman

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gtrmp posted:

Effectronica: All of you are racist Bernouts who deserve to lose because you hold the rest of the country in contempt

also Effectronica: everyone else in this thread is an uneducated, brain-damaged subhuman

Are you familiar with the analogy of the carrot and the stick?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

That's nice that you think you're in a position to offer either. The reality is, your strategy has handed both houses of Congress, and now the presidency, over to the Republicans. Nobody should listen to any advice that you give, ever.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

That's nice that you think you're in a position to offer either. The reality is, your strategy has handed both houses of Congress, and now the presidency, over to the Republicans. Nobody should listen to any advice that you give, ever.

And now we're back to the part where people accuse me of being John Podesta/Huma Abedin/George Soros.

Let me tell you, "Shattered" would have a lot more anecdotes about the carpeting in the office having to be changed in a hurry and people driving unmarked cars with full trunks out into the wilderness if that were the case, boy howdy.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

b5 learned this in college folks, got a degree and everything

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

Or are you, as I've come to suspect, only willing to fantasize in the abstract because you're worried about being unable to perform when push comes to shove?

Do you crossdress because your wiener doesn't work

It feels like you're projecting

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

Do you crossdress because your wiener doesn't work

It feels like you're projecting

Oh hell, I just got reminded that you're a literal nazi. Why exactly do you guys let this fascist prick post freely instead of beating his Nazi rear end like he's Richard Spencer in an IWW meeting?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765994&pagenumber=1013&perpage=40#post459819497

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Brainiac Five posted:

what possible carrot could you offer people?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

And now we're back to the part where people accuse me of being John Podesta/Huma Abedin/George Soros.

No, I think those three have a greater capacity for understanding how wrong they were.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

what possible carrot could you offer people?

:thejoke:

Majorian posted:

No, I think those three have a greater capacity for understanding how wrong they were.

Cool, can you get around to "both sides are bad"-ing the transphobic doxxer and SASS poster?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

Oh hell, I just got reminded that you're a literal nazi. Why exactly do you guys let this fascist prick post freely instead of beating his Nazi rear end like he's Richard Spencer in an IWW meeting?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765994&pagenumber=1013&perpage=40#post459819497

Why are you mad at me posting a picture of fishmech, not-fishmech?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

Why are you mad at me posting a picture of fishmech, not-fishmech?

Your inability to figure out why anyone would consider cyberstalking bad is a clear sign you're a Nazi. You might want to work on being better at faking humanity, piglet.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

Your inability to figure out why anyone would consider cyberstalking bad is a clear sign you're a Nazi. You might want to work on being better at faking humanity, piglet.

I'm Jewish

Mazel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

i'm talking about the period before 1945, friend. have you ever wondered why the third world was so poor to begin with (hint:one of the most important aspects of colonialism was the forcing open of markets to global trade)

1945-1973 otoh was a period of highly restricted international trade. this did not change until the era of neoliberalism from the 70s onward

your opinions are an artefact of only having any idea of what was happening in the usa, western europe, japan, and china. you're dumb and wrong

• Locked thread