Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

look at this motivated guy

everything from the rucksack to the gloves to the crossfit tires screams "i suck the green weenie for fun"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Only PT patch I ever saw was on some dude's jacket that he was wearing around FOB Shank in OEF 13

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I got presented a PT badge in Korea in company formation like it was an ARCOM or some such poo poo.

Then got smoked because I didn't know what it was.

Then never wore it, because people who wore them all looked like boners.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Even assuming I was capable of getting 90 in each event, which I was not because gently caress running forever and a day, I think I'd have stopped like one pushup short or something just to not have to even risk someone telling me I had to wear that thing. I finished boy scouts a long time ago, I'm done with badges thank you.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I, too, earned a PT badge but didn't deign to wear it cause I'm too cool for that :smug:

Then I permanently injured myself doing PT, army strong.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Actually you just ran out of heart.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

tastefully arranged labia posted:

everything from the rucksack to the gloves to the crossfit tires screams "i suck the green weenie for fun"

the crossfit tires were a component of regular PT in 2010-2011. How no one broke any bones when people inevitably dropped the tires is beyond me.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

Actually you just ran out of heart.

Would pay like 100 thousand for the Cpt planet heart kid to heal me tia.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

at the date posted:

the crossfit tires were a component of regular PT in 2010-2011. How no one broke any bones when people inevitably dropped the tires is beyond me.

I'm so glad I half-assed every dumb crossfit thing our CO wanted to do. He had a loving obstacle course of sorts set up with tire flipping, kettle bells, upside down pushups with your feet on the wall.....it was loving stupid. If I hadn't half-assed it all I probably would have come out even more injured than I am now.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
And by tire I mean a humvee tire.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mike-o posted:

I'm so glad I half-assed every dumb crossfit thing our CO wanted to do. He had a loving obstacle course of sorts set up with tire flipping, kettle bells, upside down pushups with your feet on the wall.....it was loving stupid. If I hadn't half-assed it all I probably would have come out even more injured than I am now.

lol if you don't half rear end any and all pt

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Crossfit caught fire when I was deployed and quickly that fire was extinguished after the insane number of injuries idiots inflicted upon themselves trying to do the WODs

Edit: also Army PT is so loving lame I permenately hate running now. Running 40-50 miles a week on dirt and uphill and at a slow rear end pace that makes it all even worse was just terrible gently caress you Uncle Sam

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Crossfit in the Army was a loving virus and I hope it isn't as bad anymore. Talk about people wanting to do things they didn't have the resources for. Protip idiot O's: sandbags tow bars and various heavy objects you have lying around in a muddy PT field isn't going to be anywhere near as cool as you think it will be while you watch the Crossfit Games at Buffalo Wild Wings.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The army got me into running since the battalion scouts did a ranger pt test and if you failed the 5 mile twice (once during your tryout and if you fail it, one a month later) you get kicked back down to a regular line unit.

I did my first one in 42 minute. Scouts was an amazing platoon so I started running in my offtime. I figured if I could run 8 miles continuously at any pace I could run 5 miles in 40 minutes.

After I did my first 8 mile run I found out I was really good at distance running and started enjoying it.

Welp that's my pt story gonna hit a bong and play video games now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
My favorite crossfit champion was a woman who, while quite fit, was perpetually grievously injured. When asked if she got hurt doing crossfit, she said no, because if doing crossfit correctly you never get injured.

I guess if you do Army right you never die.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 1, 2017

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

Crossfit in the Army was a loving virus and I hope it isn't as bad anymore. Talk about people wanting to do things they didn't have the resources for. Protip idiot O's: sandbags tow bars and various heavy objects you have lying around in a muddy PT field isn't going to be anywhere near as cool as you think it will be while you watch the Crossfit Games at Buffalo Wild Wings.

It's not "AS" bad anymore. Each company has it's own equipment now. But it's only a squad's worth of equipment. We do have a kick rear end million dollar gym..... But 1SG banned squad level PT due to not enough heart or something. I heard that and the gym is meant for MRW purposes, not for morning PT.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The Navy doesn't have any PT award but my unit gave me a shirt that says OUTSTANDING PRT on it and volunordeered me to the fitness leadership class and running PT. We don't do any crossfit type stuff because if people do a few burpees they fall over. I got a 90 on everything on the APFT for a transfer package can I get a gay badge via correspondence?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

lol if you don't half rear end any and all pt

Also gently caress you if your still in

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
NCOs were forced to lead PT weekly in Africa. I personally had to lead four sessions.

I have leading four yoga sessions as an NCO bullet.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
I've been out a year and started running again. Why do I hate myself so much,

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

maffew buildings posted:

The Navy doesn't have any PT award but my unit gave me a shirt that says OUTSTANDING PRT on it and volunordeered me to the fitness leadership class and running PT. We don't do any crossfit type stuff because if people do a few burpees they fall over. I got a 90 on everything on the APFT for a transfer package can I get a gay badge via correspondence?

Burpees always hosed me up with the rapid change from jumping to going down into a pushup and back up . Left me light headed after a few so I always hated them.

Best platoon leader for PT I ever had jumped through the bullshit and hoops to get us pool PT once a week. If you think running is good try pool running in like chest high water, that will make your muscles loving scream the day after while not turning your knee cartilage into a fine paste.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Wasabi the J posted:

NCOs were forced to lead PT weekly in Africa. I personally had to lead four sessions.

I have leading four yoga sessions as an NCO bullet.

I had a NCO threaten to do Zumba for PT if she had to lead it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
In what part of the army do NCOs not run pt?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I, too, earned a PT badge but didn't deign to wear it cause I'm too cool for that :smug:

Then I permanently injured myself doing PT, army strong.

My orthopedist laughed knowingly when I told her I was in the Army because apparently bulged and slipped discs are a common side effect of doing Army sit-ups and she already guessed what the problem was even before she saw the MRI.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

My platoon usually had everyone E4 and up doing it. That was a pretty chill platoon for the most part, so obviously I can't speak for everyone else.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
i was natty guard then reserves so PT for me was usually just my squad leader when I made him mad which was a lot

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
spinal injuries are so fuckin weird.

Day 2: impossible to put shoes on, barely make it to work.

Day 9: still can't do PT but can walk around ok. Kind of. Endure pain.

Day 14: can hide injury enough to get orders and escape the eye of SRP clinic.

Day 16: if you don't work out, return to day 2, do not pass go. If you've been working out, enjoy nirvana levels of release from back pain.

The days here are more or less made up but largely true to life over my last several flare ups that didn't require a neurosurgeon. I'll probably go running tomorrow.

I might be an idiot.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I too was surprised when it was suggested, after joining the military, that I should become physically fit

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Day 16: if you don't work out, return to day 2, do not pass go. If you've been working out, enjoy nirvana levels of release from back pain.

The days here are more or less made up but largely true to life over my last several flare ups that didn't require a neurosurgeon. I'll probably go running tomorrow.

I might be an idiot.

I was deployed at the time. The aid station just gave me a shot of toradol and told me to take it easy. Four months later it finally didn't hurt too much when I put on my boots or sat down to take a poo poo.

I said nothing at DEMOB because I'd already accepted a new job and didn't want to rot in a WTU for a year.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

I might be an idiot.

My boss (army man in his 50's) was dealing with same issue. Went in for MRI (two bulging discs in lower back), went and did surgery (they went in through his back and "shaved off" the two bulges till the disks were flush with the spine again).

He is a new man. No pain. No problems. It's amazing (I've known him for years).

Although now if you try and ask him to do physical stuff he just laughs at you because screw messing it up again.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Running actually doesn't bother my bulged discs (in fact I usually feel better after). Now, deadlifts and squats? Absolutely. I basically can't do anything fun at the gym anymore and am relegated to doing lunges and body squats with kettle bells if I want a leg workout.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Kaliber posted:

It's not "AS" bad anymore. Each company has it's own equipment now. But it's only a squad's worth of equipment. We do have a kick rear end million dollar gym..... But 1SG banned squad level PT due to not enough heart or something. I heard that and the gym is meant for MRW purposes, not for morning PT.

That's how it was at Bragg and honestly even though I'd much prefer to go to the gym for morning PT it's easy to see why its banned. There simply isn't enough square feet of gym space to have thousands of swinging dicks coming in to do dumbbell curls and ABZ. That, and the Brigade Commander/CSM would be upset that their morning gym PT with all their senior leadership buddies is being disrupted, of course.

Seconding pool PT, though, especially when the sun comes up after PT is over so you get to shiver your balls off and get ripped as hell.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

psydude posted:

Running actually doesn't bother my bulged discs (in fact I usually feel better after). Now, deadlifts and squats? Absolutely. I basically can't do anything fun at the gym anymore and am relegated to doing lunges and body squats with kettle bells if I want a leg workout.

Yeah if your discs are already compromised to begin with any spinal loading is going to massively exacerbate it. Which is lovely, since building up your core (isometrically, not dumbshit sit-ups) and posterior chain through exercises that produce progressive overload can actually prevent a whole lot of back problems later on in life. And that's besides the natural side effect of gradually refining technique with both, which teaches you proper breathing/bracing as well as body mechanics.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I went rock climbing over the weekend and 2 one hour sessions has made my back feel better than 2 weeks of physical therapy. Bodies are weird.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A reverse hyper is amazing. You can actually fix your back. If your unit gym doesn't have one, try and get one.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-reverse-hyper-2?prod_id=6315&gclid=CP_cnb6Fz9MCFUc2gQodfUUO3g

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I went rock climbing over the weekend and 2 one hour sessions has made my back feel better than 2 weeks of physical therapy. Bodies are weird.

Physical therapy definitely helped after I hard core re injured it last year, but it didn't resolve the ongoing minor pain.

I think we have one of those reverse hyper machines at my gym. I'll give it a shot.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

mlmp08 posted:

Eh, not that weird if you understand the underlying concepts involved. Something as simple as using your body in the kind of natural movements it evolved for over hundreds of thousands of years can do wonders. You end up using every major muscle in your back and arms responsible for pulling plus all of the little stabilizers and synergists like the sock of muscle around your scapulae, and the stretching and decompression of your spine probably didn't hurt either. Proper biomechanics coupled with attention to balancing opposing muscle groups can make an eye-opening difference in both heading off future problems and solving or alleviating present ones.

E: Besides, y'know, not doing dumb Army poo poo that will gently caress you up regardless.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

I think we have one of those reverse hyper machines at my gym. I'll give it a shot.

Watch the videos and make sure you do it right and plan a program for yourself.

It works your discs, getting bloodflow around them, and they can actually repair a bit. My doc says that compressed discs are like sponges that you can't get any water (bloodflow) to. And it's the bloodflow that repairs it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

Last time I deployed we largely formed individual plans.

In Africa the teams were joint forces so it was actually on some weird volunteer status that the other services would show up to army PT. Most mornings it was armies doing army PT and navies and airmen sleeping for another two hours.

Most weeks we had a PT day for the whole directorate where you could play Frisbee, football, or futbol. Everyone had to show for that, but another couple of days a week our sections leadership wanted NCO​s running PT for bullet points. It got resisted down to once a week, but it was still worthless army PT that everyone hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Syrian Lannister posted:

Had it in mine, it never worked properly. Just like our washers and dryers and showers.

Did they ever catch on fire? Because mine did in WLC.