Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

So when's the next balance patch? Bit tired of banning Lucio+[tank] every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
If I could take a wild guess I'd say when they put D'Va out, now that they've gotten the release of 2.0 out of the way.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I played my first game since beta with goons and I got called a potato by tcjimbo after hard carrying him three games in a row from support. I feel that all is right with the world.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gustav posted:

Valeera is certainly the most frustrating of the stealthies. When you see the blur it's usually too late since she covers a lot of ground and has a stun, so you have to watch minimap 100% of the time and go sit in gate the second she disappears from it. Perfectly manageable, but not very fun.

Valeera runs in to the same issues Rengar always does in League. If his damage (or ratios) are high enough to be meaningful, he becomes an unstoppable cruise missile that is eliminating at least one person from the game. Riot keeps making burst champions, then deciding "burst has no counterplay" and nerfing them. Add in a stealth mechanic and it is always going to be unpopular to the general victim pool populace. The proper play becomes "poo poo your pants in terror, but pre-preemptively."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zaodai posted:

Valeera runs in to the same issues Rengar always does in League. If his damage (or ratios) are high enough to be meaningful, he becomes an unstoppable cruise missile that is eliminating at least one person from the game. Riot keeps making burst champions, then deciding "burst has no counterplay" and nerfing them. Add in a stealth mechanic and it is always going to be unpopular to the general victim pool populace. The proper play becomes "poo poo your pants in terror, but pre-preemptively."

I mean the entire point of my apparently "smug nerd" post wasn't even that stealth is fine git gud, it's that bursty stealth assassins are always going to rub people the wrong way in a mode where there's no such thing as counterpicking unless I guess you preemptively slampick Tassadar every time you QM, but Blizzard apparently keeps making them so :shrug:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kai Tave posted:

I mean the entire point of my apparently "smug nerd" post wasn't even that stealth is fine git gud, it's that bursty stealth assassins are always going to rub people the wrong way in a mode where there's no such thing as counterpicking unless I guess you preemptively slampick Tassadar every time you QM, but Blizzard apparently keeps making them so :shrug:

Yeah, basically. Stealth definitely exacerbates it though. I guess my point was that it is an issue in every MOBA, and they never really learn their lesson. So more likely, rather than buff Valeera back up, they'll make another burst assassin that is slightly different, that will murder people brutally, and then get nerfed.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I've just learned the hard way that you shouldn't medivac straight onto the objective... Oops.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

So if you want to roll QM as 3, just play Rag/Varian/Uther. It's such a good brawly core that plays well with whatever random garbage you are assigned.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zaodai posted:

Yeah, basically. Stealth definitely exacerbates it though. I guess my point was that it is an issue in every MOBA, and they never really learn their lesson. So more likely, rather than buff Valeera back up, they'll make another burst assassin that is slightly different, that will murder people brutally, and then get nerfed.

I feel like Valeera could have legs as a "stealth debuffer," which she kinda sorta is already...someone whose job is to gank people with stuns and silences to set them up to be killed but not 100-0ing them herself. Of course the question at that point is whether or not it's worthwhile to have an assassin on your team that's bad at doing damage, which is funnily enough the issue Blizzard ran into in Overwatch when they released Sombra. When it came out that Sombra would be a stealth character people were preemptively bemoaning the death of the game at the hands of unstoppable stealth assassins instagibbing everyone forever...until it turned out that Sombra was so bad at actually killing people that pretty much nobody at any level of play actually likes using her. Like you know how in HotS there's the idea of the stereotypical Nova player? That doesn't exist with Sombra, not at bronze, not at grandmaster, not anywhere, the allure of the game's only hero with invisibility isn't enough to make anyone want to play her in any serious capacity, and Blizzard has steadfastly avoided giving her any buffs that might actually make her better at doing the thing she's worst at so people just shrug and pick Tracer or Soldier 76 or something.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

Ein Sexmonster posted:

So if you want to roll QM as 3, just play Rag/Varian/Uther. It's such a good brawly core that plays well with whatever random garbage you are assigned.

Just Varian and anything and you're pretty much golden

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Gustav posted:

Just Varian and anything and you're pretty much golden

yeah he's kinda broken in QM and there's not a great way to balance him. did they ever fix varian teams getting matched vs teams with no tank?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Minrad posted:

yeah he's kinda broken in QM and there's not a great way to balance him. did they ever fix varian teams getting matched vs teams with no tank?

nope, i actually came here to bitch about this, because i just had three games in a row with varian on one team and no tank on the other, and he went shield build and absolutely crushed us with no counterplay possible all three times

gently caress varian. if you queue in QM with him and the other team has no warrior shield should be greyed out

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

nope, i actually came here to bitch about this, because i just had three games in a row with varian on one team and no tank on the other, and he went shield build and absolutely crushed us with no counterplay possible all three times

gently caress varian. if you queue in QM with him and the other team has no warrior shield should be greyed out

Even without taking Taunt at 10, he's still a hard to kill son of a bitch if he just goes parry talents at 1/4/7. Had a QM match where we got blown the gently caress up by a Colossus Smash Varian who went all in on parry poo poo pre-10 and then just deleted people.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Why doesn't the matchmaker just have Varian count as a warrior/tank/whatever? Seems weird that it doesn't.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Warrior/tank/whatever isn't a very well defined category

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gustav posted:

Warrior/tank/whatever isn't a very well defined category

I know that HotS lumps a bunch of characters into the "Warrior" role of which there are apparently informal subdivisions into things like tank, bruiser, probably something else I don't know, and it sounds like the problem is that Varian who can choose to be several different kinds of character, one of which is a tank, keeps throwing the qm matchmaker off so it puts him against teams without a tank of their own. Has Blizzard actually started recategorizing heroes as of 2.0? I remember that the megabundles had heroes listed with various classifications like ganker, marksman, bruiser, etc.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kai Tave posted:

Why doesn't the matchmaker just have Varian count as a warrior/tank/whatever? Seems weird that it doesn't.

Because then the flip side is "my team with a varian got matched up with a team with a real warrior, and he took damage talents and twin blades of fury". It's a really difficult thing to fix.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I played a lot of Nova in beta, and back then her deal was she could absolutely devastate individuals, but the tradeoff was that she had no laning ability and no ability to hold objectives. Did this change, because I constantly see pubby Novas trying to do both of those things.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

I don't see how bad talent specs are different from any other "we lost because a teammate did something stupid" situation, but for some reason people wanted them to fix this one with matchmaking code and here we are.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My god, a Zarya that takes Feel the Heat at 1 and is good with shields is loving terrifying. :stare:

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

My god, a Zarya that takes Feel the Heat at 1 and is good with shields is loving terrifying. :stare:

I think zarya is currently my fav warrior besides varian

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

I played a lot of Nova in beta, and back then her deal was she could absolutely devastate individuals, but the tradeoff was that she had no laning ability and no ability to hold objectives. Did this change, because I constantly see pubby Novas trying to do both of those things.

Well now she can't really take out inidividuals, so that just leaves the other two.

Nova is not a well thought out character.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I get that HotS is a different sort of game than Overwatch but it still seems like "let's make a character that can't push lanes and can't contribute to objectives" still isn't really a great basis for a character to begin with.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
If any of y'all play vs AI shoot me an add (AttackBacon#1199). I like to just unwind with some AI games a couple times a week and it would be nice to MAX THEM GAINS in terms of exp. I'm down for QM too but probably only on weekends.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Kai Tave posted:

I get that HotS is a different sort of game than Overwatch but it still seems like "let's make a character that can't push lanes and can't contribute to objectives" still isn't really a great basis for a character to begin with.

In fairness, one shotting Jainas was hilarious

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I really need to forgot everything I learned and memorised from DOTA 2 so I can learn these heroes instead.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kai Tave posted:

Nova is old as heck and from a time when Blizzard didn't really know what they were doing in regards to Hero development.

Now they still don't know what they're doing but they don't have the excuse of being new at it heyoooooooo

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I appreciate that they gave Nova her own Bribe on a talent tier that doesn't really do much.
Most heroes that can take bribe only get it as a trade-off but Nova really doesn't lose a lot to pick it up.

I'd argue they should give her Explosive Round by default and allow players to toggle it with a seperate button or something. Also her special level 20 talent that lets her restealth is kind of hilarious if you look at Valeeras or even Samuros kit having that poo poo by default. Maybe she'll get a pass at some point.

Now that they've reworked Uther, do we know about any other planned re-works they might've mentioned outside of Leoric?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

1stGear posted:

Nova is old as heck and from a time when Blizzard didn't really know what they were doing in regards to Hero development.

Now they still don't know what they're doing but they don't have the excuse of being new at it heyoooooooo

Yeah I'm about to say, they did turn around and make Hanzo so apparently they learned nothing from the experience.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sonya counters Genji.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/youWzHE.mp4

horns.aiff

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Queued up as Tychus, matched against Cho'Gall :woop:

Henker
May 5, 2009

Man I just went to the chill Overwatch thread and they are decidedly unchill about HotS.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well it's not the HotS chill thread now is it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Well I got this "play two games as a Diablo hero" quest and I have this Nazeebo guy sitting here at 1. I suppose I'll try this guy out and get a free lootbox in the process

Nazeebo... MY MAN :swoon:

edit: His character design sucks though

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Well I got this "play two games as a Diablo hero" quest and I have this Nazeebo guy sitting here at 1. I suppose I'll try this guy out and get a free lootbox in the process

https://clips.twitch.tv/PiercingAcceptableStingrayDatBoi

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEf156Aih0Q

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, Nazeebo's fun. Protip: you can hit the wall of zombies a second time to cancel them if you place em wrong and trap a friendly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

can't forget the sequel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iHNQzGt0RA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Queuing into TL with two friends, our two man partner duo says "we're going Cho'gall." This after my friend locks in Probius.

Uh, ok. We draft around that, I take Morales and my other friend takes Varian to peel.

They obviously draft to counter with Genji, Butcher and Valla.

We wrecked them. It wasn't close to being close. Turns out Cho'gall is mean af when someone knows what they're doing. He pushed lanes down by himself and swatted down anyone who came close.