Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

twistedmentat posted:

Wow that is a joke I'd never thought i'd hear. That's one of those jokes that feel like they have to come from a certain writer.

Almost 100% guaranteed to be a Felicia joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There was a weird thing earlier about how Felicia probably wasn't responsible for the Zelda joke because she mostly plays PC games but she was literally in a web series parody of The Legend of Zelda, so I think that it was her.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She (or someone--I think it was her) said in one of their Q&A things that she wrote a ton of Neverending Story gags, and indeed I noticed at least one in most episodes.

There were also a number of Lost and Dharma Initiative jokes, and I think there's a Game of Thrones joke in every episode. Those kind of seem like they might be one specific person's passion project.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd bet the Lost ones are Baron. The movies they watch do lend themselves to Dharma Initiative jokes, though.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Wizards 2 reminds me of an MMO quest line - going to new zones, meeting new, forgettable characters, and the having them show up to help at the end. Then after that you keep on going to the next area and immediately forget about all that.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Getting that reference in Time Travelers was almost enough to make me glad that I watched Lost.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, Wizards of the Lost Kingdom was great. Kor the Bystander was such an amazing Rosdower-level "hero".

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Okay, Wizards of the Lost Kingdom was great. Kor the Bystander was such an amazing Rosdower-level "hero".

There are some forms of wisdom you can only learn from alcoholic, violent hobos.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

This revival is so loving good, I am going to be so happy if Netflix gives them a green light.

I seriously don't see how they don't at this point. Built-in fanbase, constant replay watchings, and they basically self funded their first season. It's a license to print money.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Chokes McGee posted:

I seriously don't see how they don't at this point. Built-in fanbase, constant replay watchings, and they basically self funded their first season. It's a license to print money.

As someone said earlier, 16 mil/ep of Marco Polo vs 6 mil/season of MST3k is kind of a no-brainer.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Evil Mastermind posted:

What's funny is he's really the most charismatic character in the film.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Bruteman posted:

What's funny is he's really the most charismatic character in the film.

Well, him or Gulfax.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
One of the obscure-ish references I like is the Tinder one in Loves of Hercules. Like, one probably wouldn't catch it if they don't use Tinder and/or haven't heard of it all somehow.

Swipe left, swipe left!!!

Compendium fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 30, 2017

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
What are they referencing when the camera slow zooms in on Markov and they sing? Carnival Magic, timecode 38:30.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"John Grisham, huh?"

"I love John Grisham. I've read this book six times. It's the only book on the ship. I hate John Grisham."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"At the Earth's Core" isn't so bad. The tired premise and lovely effects really get elevated by the cast.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

As someone said earlier, 16 mil/ep of Marco Polo vs 6 mil/season of MST3k is kind of a no-brainer.

The worst aspect of MST3k being on Netflix is that we won't get 22-26 episode seasons.

But if they do two seasons a year, I will accept that as a reasonable alternative.

PostNouveau posted:

"At the Earth's Core" isn't so bad. The tired premise and lovely effects really get elevated by the cast.

A lot of the movies this season seemed to fall in that not that bad range while being perfectly cheesy enough to work with the show. Which is really a perfect way to go with movie selection.

That said, I'd appreciate it if they didn't lean quite so heavily on the giant monster movies next time. With so few episodes per season, variety is a good idea.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Random Stranger posted:

The worst aspect of MST3k being on Netflix is that we won't get 22-26 episode seasons.

But if they do two seasons a year, I will accept that as a reasonable alternative.

A lot of the movies this season seemed to fall in that not that bad range while being perfectly cheesy enough to work with the show. Which is really a perfect way to go with movie selection.

That said, I'd appreciate it if they didn't lean quite so heavily on the giant monster movies next time. With so few episodes per season, variety is a good idea.

To be fair, one of the giant monster movies was mostly a cowboy movie, and MST3k never did too many of those.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm concerned they haven't announced another season order yet. Doesn't Netflix usually announce renewals really fast? Maybe this one is taking longer because it would be a more complicated contract without Kickstarter funding it?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I also like that they watched both WIzards movies right in a row, which seems like something that hearkens back to the old days, when Joel and the bots would slowly watch a serial over the course of a season, or when they watched the two Master Ninja movies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Both Wizards episodes are now two of my favorites of the whole series. Especially the second one. "I'm forming a Stockholm syndrome relationship with David Carradine's legs"

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

muscles like this! posted:

At the start of the Christmas one they reference Hark, A Vagrant in regards to the open animation.

https://twitter.com/beatonna/status/853699756849328128

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bobo's new mask is nightmare fuel, but Mary Jo looks like she's barely aged in 20 years. Assuming a season 2 I hope those three show up again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brain Guy's makeup looks way too severe.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bill Corbett's gotten older and from speaking with experience, white cake make up is really, really hard to work with.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

To be fair, one of the giant monster movies was mostly a cowboy movie, and MST3k never did too many of those.

I'm reminded of Last of the Wild Horses, where the evil mirror Servo is going off on Crow and Mike, then notices "Ooh, a cowboy movie!" and the rest of the segment was normal after that.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The first time Kinga talks to the head Observer the two behind him have shoddily applied makeup with normal skin showing through, and are just holding their brains without dishes and keep fumbling with them. It was so weird I expected them to turn it to be fakes.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 30, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I'm concerned they haven't announced another season order yet. Doesn't Netflix usually announce renewals really fast? Maybe this one is taking longer because it would be a more complicated contract without Kickstarter funding it?

It varies. Bojack Horseman was renewed before it even went up, but Jessica Jones (and Luke Cage, I believe) took like 3-5 weeks. I don't think they've ever failed to renew something that they had first-run rights to, though. Even fuckin' Hemlock Grove got like 3 seasons, and that show literally had a scene where a vampire goes down on a girl because it's that time of the month.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Gaz-L posted:

It varies. Bojack Horseman was renewed before it even went up, but Jessica Jones (and Luke Cage, I believe) took like 3-5 weeks. I don't think they've ever failed to renew something that they had first-run rights to, though. Even fuckin' Hemlock Grove got like 3 seasons, and that show literally had a scene where a vampire goes down on a girl because it's that time of the month.

Off topic but if you think Iron Fist is the worst original show on Netflix, go watch Hemlock Grove. It's amazingly bad. Like, Deserving of it's own thread to pick it apart.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

that show literally had a scene where a vampire goes down on a girl because it's that time of the month.

:stare:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Oh, Anne Rice did it first anyway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Well, this was posted in the Flophouse Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BThZhuDhYF9/

Kalan is moving to LA, so I assume that's so he can be head writer all the time and not have to split his time between coasts for work and family.

What I'd love to see if they did a full season with 10 or so episodes with movies and full host segements and such, and then throughout the year release half hour or so shorts that are just brief host segments at the start and that's it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Off topic but if you think Iron Fist is the worst original show on Netflix, go watch Hemlock Grove. It's amazingly bad. Like, Deserving of it's own thread to pick it apart.

If only the company that produced it had access to people whose comedy focuses specifically on riffing bad material...

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Random Stranger posted:

The only thing they didn't have was the total utter train wreck of a movie. Like Red Zone Cuba, or something like that. I don't really miss those, because I find them hard to watch, but I wonder if Joel has one like that in mind.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

thinking face emoji

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'd love to see them do more crappy thriller-dramas like Racket Girls or The Skydivers.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'd love to see them do more crappy thriller-dramas like Racket Girls or The Skydivers.

They really should do Stanley Kubrick's first feature Fear and Desire. It's like a Coleman Francis movie with somewhat nice photography. I think it would be hilarious for them to set it up as them sending a Kubrick film, only for it to be that one. It's public domain, so they shouldn't have a tough time getting it.

Also, Roar would make for a great episode.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I don't care what they do so long as they do more of it. A LOT more.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I don't care what they do so long as they do more of it. A LOT more.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

HannibalBarca posted:

thinking face emoji

Why? The best seasons of the original run happened after they left :smug: