Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

find somebody who looks at you the way Shoah nuff looks at a man's calf muscle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I am going to die miserable and alone and I've accepted that.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

a neat cape posted:

I like being single
Same, although if I met the right person I would be happy to leave bachelorhood behind

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Woke up at 5 am to smoke 2 pork butts, my 2nd time using the smoker baby!

Can't see the picture, but I'm happy for you. The last time I did two butts I ended up freezing 5 quart bags full of pulled pork, which is an awesome way to enjoy some easy bbq on a weeknight.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Find your best friend that you wanna doink.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Find your best friend that you wanna doink.

Just make sure you don't find your wife first.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Men. We gonna build a garden this summer.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Unless you are growing artisinal burritos gently caress off

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Remember when the Falcons were up 28-3 and lost the SB.

Woof.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

A Man and his dog posted:

Remember when the Falcons were up 28-3 and lost the SB.

Woof.

remember when you didn't post the burrito

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
This thread has been visited by the muscle ghost.

Post stay strong muscle ghost and gains will be yours for a week

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Stay strong muscle ghost Vince

Also:

weird Asian candy posted:

Unless you are growing artisinal burritos gently caress off

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 30, 2017

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yikes, sorry for the double post.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
My girlfriend's rad and is smarter than me and that's also rad

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

same

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

filling out gradschool applications is the loving worst

"why yes I am a privileged white person why do you ask"

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

FizFashizzle posted:

I mean you could still be stuck in India.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Hot Diggity! posted:

Same but wife.

Thanks for getting a useful CS degree and supporting my stupid useless BA English-having rear end, wife!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

Same but wife.

Thanks for getting a useful CS degree and supporting my stupid useless BA English-having rear end, wife!

Master's in philosophy for her, but no debt and pending book deals while I sit at a desk and get rich people richer

Bonus: Canadian citizenship

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I am going to die miserable and alone and I've accepted that.

:same:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FizFashizzle posted:

Don't go to that

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Did adult things today, like sign up for a 401k, it's nice not living paycheck to paycheck anymore.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Flikken posted:

Did adult things today, like sign up for a 401k, it's nice not living paycheck to paycheck anymore.

I've been meaning to do that, but I never know if I'm going to stay at a job long enough to get vested.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Volkerball posted:

I've been meaning to do that, but I never know if I'm going to stay at a job long enough to get vested.

I've been here 8 years, with over a year in management, it was time to do it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Roth IRAs my dudes

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hot Diggity! posted:

Roth IRAs my dudes

I think I'd rather just die in a paramotor crash and stop having to worry about it

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

No Irish Need Imply posted:

What about all these people I haven't dated?!

This is why open relationships are a thing.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

186 posted:

There's a lot of potential to gently caress up a relationship tho. Just stare at women on the subway and jerk off into your trench coat instead.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

186 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po4adxJxqZk

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Volkerball posted:

Even if your full employee match doesn't beat any money that you set aside from your paychecks is yours to keep. Plus it lowers your AGI.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My company does full matching up to 6% and starting in 2018 they're doing full match up to 6% + 4%. So 6% paid gets 16% in your 401k.

Under 30 goons this is what excites you in the future just fyi

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A lot of 401(k) plans have no "vesting" or only vesting on the matching.

A 401(k) is a way to get money into a tax advantaged status regardless.

This is what the long-term investing and retirement thread will advise every American to do, in order, to the limits you can afford:

1. max any matching funds available for your 401(k). No amount of horrible fees will eat up the free money for any reasonable matching scheme (usually like 50% matching of up to 3-6% of your salary that you put in).
2. max out an IRA (Roth or traditional, depending on which way you want to deal with the taxes - Roth you put after tax money in but take all your earnings out in retirement tax free, Traditional you put in tax-free money but pay income tax at your marginal rate when you take money out when you retire, so which to do depends on your relative tax rates now vs. retirement)
3. max out the rest of the space in your 401(k). Possibly skip this if your 401(k) has really really awful options, but normally the tax advantage outweighs even fairly high fees.
4. If it works OK for you (you have no major medical problems right now), you can use an HSA to get money into tax advantaged status by going with a high-deductible health plan

If you do all of the above and still have more money to save, congratulations you're rich and are going to retire very nicely, maybe go spend some money on vacations or whatever.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

I got half matching up to 4%, so I chose 4% in a medium risk format. With an annual increase of 1%, since I normally get a 2.5% raise. Im supposed to be vested after 3 years, im not sure how that works because if it is total gime with the company then i am vested, but if it is from this point forward well I will be in 3 years I guess.

Did I do ok?

Flikken fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 1, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Flikken posted:

I got half matching up to 4%, so I chose 4% in a medium risk format. With an annual increase of 1%, since I normally get a 2.5% raise. Im supposed to be vested after 3 years, im not sure how that works because if it is total gime with the company then i am vested, but if it is from this point forward well I will be in 3 years I guess.

Did I do ok?

Well you should read your plan info. "medium risk format" is extremely vague, though. Depending on your age you should probably have your money in whatever the lowest-cost index mutual funds you have available (cost being ER or Expense Ratio, plus any additional fees tacked on by your plan manager). The biggest mistake people make is not putting money into their retirement and getting the free matching, but the second biggest mistake people make is dumping money into high-fee managed funds where the fees eat up any possible outperformance the fund manager makes, and on average the large majority of actively managed funds underperform their respective indexes (e.g. they are basically scams).

The general rule of thumb is that you should be saving 15% of your annual income for your entire working life in order to assure a similar standard of living when you retire. That varies a lot depending on a lot of factors but it's a decent starting place. So you are right now saving about 6% of your annual salary... which might be reasonable if you're paying off debts or stand to inherit money or just can't afford to save any more right now.

e. If you'd like some goon analysis of your plan options, feel free to post in the long-term savings and retirement thread and folks will give you detailed advice.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

I'm paying off debt, poor life choices till your early 30s sucks to recover from. also they offered several formats (using mass mutual) I opted for medium risk that puts like 30% in the stock market and the rest mixed between cash and bonds.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

My company does full matching up to 6% and starting in 2018 they're doing full match up to 6% + 4%. So 6% paid gets 16% in your 401k.

Under 30 goons this is what excites you in the future just fyi

This is what my company had and it owns bones.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm poor

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The french quarter in nola is loving incredible. The streets are abject garbage but I've had bomb rear end oysters and ridiculously good drinks tonight

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
My new job auto contributes 6% to my 401k regardless of your contribution. Best part is I'm vested from the start so if a better opportunity comes along I don't have to say goodbye to everything they put into my savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Spoeank posted:

The french quarter in nola is loving incredible. The streets are abject garbage but I've had bomb rear end oysters and ridiculously good drinks tonight

NOLA is the best drinking city i've ever been to and the food isn't far behind either.

Though honorable mention goes to Nashville because holy poo poo that town has amazing booze.

• Locked thread