Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I never knew this species portrait had such a spiffing hat. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The space stations kind of already serve the make a planet shoot role. The problem is they suck at it later and there is no way to alleviate it.

Like if you could refit a station in a way that turned off building ships and increased shoot ability and hp by a shitton that would allow you to have more defensible frontier worlds.

Being able to edit their design would also be good

Hydroponic missile laucher, crew quarter with gun slits, solar panel with armor plate covering it (like solar roadways but more efficient)

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
Apparently steam calculates % of all players based on people that have started the game at least once but uh...drat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I Am A Robot posted:

Apparently steam calculates % of all players based on people that have started the game at least once but uh...drat.

Remember that you don't earn achievements when you have mods on. I have almost 300 hours on Stellaris but only 11 achievements.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You dont earn achievements unless you play vanilla ironman. Even 20% seems sort of high for ironman players so amount played is def a lot higher than that. I am pretty sure i have zero cheevos

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I like to think of it as an achievement to have hundreds, or thousands, of hours and not a single achievement.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

BenRGamer posted:

I believe they mentioned defense stations possibly being changed to take up fleet capacity, which I think is a great idea because it lets them be buffed while still keeping it balanced. Maybe with that, you actually can be able to build defenses that can stand up to a fleet.

I hope this is the case. I really want defense stations to matter more honestly. Same with space stations. I think an easy solution is to just give space stations upgradeable defenses much like the drydocks for the various spaceships that exist. That way you can build your stations to create ships or defend a planet, or maybe a mix of both. With maybe the upgrades costing fleet supply or being extremely expensive. It would make defending your borders much less painless.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Poil posted:

I like to think of it as an achievement to have hundreds, or thousands, of hours and not a single achievement.
Playing on ironman and not save-scumming is achievement on its own (I am a save-scummer playing on ironman and I feel ashamed, so I know).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Honestly what I've heard summarized of the dev team's current thoughts towards changes (hyperlane only baseline with other travel methods showing up via techs or events, borders being changed to reflect the map being hyperlane-centric, defensive fortresses taking up fleet cap but being way stronger, etc) sound absolutely glorious to me. I already play hyperlane-only games because they're the only way to make wars manageable, and moving towards a more Starfire-like base set of assumptions and away from a Star Wars/Star Trek base set of assumptions sounds great to me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Demiurge4 posted:

Remember that you don't earn achievements when you have mods on. I have almost 300 hours on Stellaris but only 11 achievements.

Also sometimes it just says you are eligible but aren't anyway and it's confusing.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Iron man isn't a very common gameplay mode. People like to be able to recover from mistakes, especially when you're playing a game that can take tens of hours to complete.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shugojin posted:

Also sometimes it just says you are eligible but aren't anyway and it's confusing.

Yeah it says it any time you're in Ironman, but if you have any non-graphics mods on you don't actually qualify.

Really the easiest way to check if you're eligible is to hop into the Multiplayer server view; if you see dozens of servers listed, you're good.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Also it's only been one hotfix since a major patch, personally I want to have console access in case I run into a bug. Like a build order being cancelled but not getting a refund (I think I lost a couple hundred minerals in the first 10 years because cultists spawned on top of my constructor that had multiple stations queued up).

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I Am A Robot posted:

21% of people who try Ironman are masochists

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Is there a list of good mods out there somewhere?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
What ascension paths are available for Fanatical Purifiers? Psionic is out since they're not Spiritual. As I recall before Utopia, Xenophobes didn't play well with synths or genemodded pops because they were considered different species. Is that still the case or can you do cyborgs and genemodding as an FP?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Pellisworth posted:

What ascension paths are available for Fanatical Purifiers? Psionic is out since they're not Spiritual. As I recall before Utopia, Xenophobes didn't play well with synths or genemodded pops because they were considered different species. Is that still the case or can you do cyborgs and genemodding as an FP?

You can only do genetic, same with Hive Minds.

The synth one requires you to be materialist.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Okay thanks, and gene-modding my own species won't cause weirdness with Xenophobia like it used to?

e: I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to start with Mechanist, seems like you could grow a lot faster as an FP if you can build a bunch of robots early on.

well never mind you have to be Materialist for Mechanist anyway!

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 1, 2017

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

The synth one requires you to be materialist.

The synth one's actually open to anyone once you have droid tech:

Hive minds are indeed locked out, though, as they can't get the synthetics tech needed

Also note one of the xenophobe factions vehemently opposes gene modding so synth is actually the best fit for them, I think

Allyn fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 1, 2017

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Neither genemodding nor robotic bodies make a ton of sense thematically, I don't think, as it changes who they are while "destroy anything not-us" is their guiding philosophy.

You can start out spiritualist-xenophobe-militarist, start in on psionics, shift to more xenophobia and civics shift to fanatic purifier, though. Just make sure you're more militarist than spiritualist when you embrace xenophobia.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean you can use the gene techs to make perfect slaves maybe?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Shugojin posted:

Isn't that what you're supposed to do with it? While also turning your primary race, and I guess any loyal underlings, into actual ubermensch.

By the time you get the second genetics ascension perk you're probably nearing the end game so you can spare the extra society research and modifying pops becomes so cheap you can do it by planet to tailor the people living there to whatever you want.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 1, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
If the next patch changes it so that you only have to be Fanatic Xenophobe, then you could do psionics or robotics.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Shugojin posted:

It doesn't really matter for fanatical purifiers because all xenos get auto-purged anyway, but for xenophobes in general, yeah, gene modding slaves to be nerve stapled and industrious/thrifty makes perfect thematic sense. I hope they revisit that. In fact, thinking about it, you have to be a xenophobe to eat other pops, but you can't then gene mod them to be delicious without pissing off your own xenophobic faction :confused: what's the point of that trait if you can't utilise it properly? Weird

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The problem with nerve stapling a race is that while it's great for controlling unrest and for producing more minerals and food, it makes your pops terrible at everything else. So if you don't want to tank their energy and research production you have to painstakingly go through each planet and move the pops there around until they line up with the right resources. You then have to hope the sector AI gets lucky and things land in the right spot as you have zero control over them and they often mismatch things.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Xenophilia kind of sucks thematically. They really need to remove the elegetarian poo poo thats mixed in with it unless you are actually elegetarian.

Eating pops should obviously be available to both xenophiles, not xenophobes. I cant imagine fanatic xenophobes find the idea to be anything but utterly disgusting. They dismay at the discovery of even passive aliens for a reason.

A xenophile, on the other hand, would constantly be on the lookout for new and exotic foods from new and exotic lifeforms. It actually makes sense for the to eat (alien) pops.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Is there a reason my sector isn't producing any minerals?

It should be producing at least 100 a month, judging by the worked tiles, but all of it is disappearing into the ether? Do sectors actually have planet limits or something?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Is anyone else still getting the no-achievements bug, after the patch? I play exclusively ironman and haven't had any achievements trigger since Utopia came out, despite having a whole lot of them left to unlock.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If you're not getting achievements it's because you have mods turned on.

Pellisworth posted:

You can actually mod all you want as a Purifier, you just have to mod everybody to the same thing. Invest in Terraforming.

MuffinsAndPie posted:

It should be producing at least 100 a month, judging by the worked tiles, but all of it is disappearing into the ether? Do sectors actually have planet limits or something?

Consumer Goods. Sectors pay for their own pops. I find it really helps to put them on Industrial focus with Respect Tile Resources on, makes them prioritize minerals.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 1, 2017

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I believe that sectors currently pay the cost for consumer goods so it could all be going into supporting the population.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Without being able to look into what the sector is doing my guess would be a mix of consumer goods needs, if you've set their needs above anything Decent they can begin to suck up a lot of minerals, and possibly if the sector is spamming a lot of military stations or if you've built a lot in their territory. I've never seen a sector build military ships so I don't think that's it.

edit:
upon further thought, it looks like it could also be a bug? Have you tried saving, quitting and reloading? That usually helps shake things out in most Paradox games. If that doesn't work I would suggest you try breaking the one gigantic sector into smaller, more manageable sectors as that also seems to help the game keep things running smoothly.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 1, 2017

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Should be available to xenophile militarists

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Thanks all, it was definitely consumer goods. I turned on social warfare a bit ago due to happiness troubles, didn't realize it was sucking that much out.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Haven't played for a while... Is Utopia essential DLC in the EU4 Art of War sense?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

snoremac posted:

Haven't played for a while... Is Utopia essential DLC in the EU4 Art of War sense?

I haven't played enough EU to know, but Utopia is a massive improvement to the game.

anyone tried this out yet?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=912889330

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

snoremac posted:

Yeah probably Art of War level, not Common Sense level.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GreenMarine posted:

I'm their neighbor and I have them pinned in. I never closed borders with them, but how would I check?

Did you rival them? That auto-closes borders.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I'm more than a little annoyed at the Steam subscription mod structure. Why is there no "update all subscribed mods" button? I can get all of my 1.2-compatible mods to become 1.5-compatible by unsub then resubing, but that's tedious and dumb, and it resets every time I quit the game.

Is there some easy settings choice I'm missing?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

MadJackal posted:

I'm more than a little annoyed at the Steam subscription mod structure. Why is there no "update all subscribed mods" button? I can get all of my 1.2-compatible mods to become 1.5-compatible by unsub then resubing, but that's tedious and dumb, and it resets every time I quit the game.

Is there some easy settings choice I'm missing?

I have never encountered this. Mods just update whenever one is pushed out. Unless you mean they're marked as incompatible in the launcher, and downloading a new mod while launcher is open doesn't correctly mark them as for an older version? In which case they're not updated, yell at the mod author and/or find a newer mod that does what you want.

FE: The red exclamation point doesn't mean there's a new version, it means the mod you have is for an older version and hasn't been updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Lprsti99 posted:

I have never encountered this. Mods just update whenever one is pushed out. Unless you mean they're marked as incompatible in the launcher, and downloading a new mod while launcher is open doesn't correctly mark them as for an older version? In which case they're not updated, yell at the mod author and/or find a newer mod that does what you want.

FE: The red exclamation point doesn't mean there's a new version, it means the mod you have is for an older version and hasn't been updated.

Auto Build, Stellar Expansion, and Multiple Crises are all updated to 1.5, but for some weird reason the launcher doesn't recognize the updates even though I've played with these mods multiple times after I've done the unsub-resub dance. It's just weird.

• Locked thread