Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Synthbuttrange posted:

The backstory for this game is ridiculous. :psyduck:
Buddy, you outta hear the backstory for the original game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Synthbuttrange posted:

The backstory for this game is ridiculous. :psyduck:
Keep going back before Nier and look into the Drakengard ending that leads into it. It's convoluted as hell. lol

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Bad Seafood posted:

Buddy, you outta hear the backstory for the original game.

He is not kidding. This entire thing happened because a sociopath on a dragon fought a lovecraftian "mother" in a rhythm game fight over Tokyo and then the JDF blew the survivor out of the sky, turning all into salt and introducing magic into our universe, which became a plague and a murderous hivemind entity piggybacking on humans.

Then Nier 1 happened.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

END ME SCOOB posted:

He is not kidding.
Your avatar and text got an audible laugh from my wife and I. Just thought I'd let you know. Nice job.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nier era events:
Splitting everyone's soul from their bodies seems extremely rash and an all your eggs in one basket kind of scenario!

I assume this maso particle that spreads the white chlorination isnt captured by stuff like filters and such so underground bunkers arent an option?

edit: oh my god what's up with Kaine's outfit

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 1, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Synthbuttrange posted:

Nier era events:
Splitting everyone's soul from their bodies seems extremely rash and an all your eggs in one basket kind of scenario!

I assume this maso particle that spreads the white chlorination isnt captured by stuff like filters and such so underground bunkers arent an option?

They tried dropping a nuke on Shinjuku and all it did was spread it, they built a literal wall around the district that was like thirty feet high to quarantine it, and I think they offhandedly mention filters not working but it's a notable omission from my memories of Nier 1 backstory

Related: At the end of this game, is the entire universe hosed? Because the Ark is made from machine-materials that use magic, so isn't it carrying maso all over wherever it goes? And machines can be hosts for the Watchers, because Eve had their symbol on his chest, so presumably the flower continues its rampage, right?

e: just saw your edit, the reasoning behind it (which is as skimpy as it itself is) is that she's got a penis in addition to having a male Gestalt inside her and she's ashamed of being a hermaphrodite so she deliberately accentuates her femininity but really just Yoko Taro

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 1, 2017

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Nier era events:

They spent a few centuries years trying to fix it in other ways. Nothing worked. Project Gestalt wasn't Plan A, it was Plan Z.

quote:

The best explanation of maso I ever read was this: the maso particles were equivalent to cancer cells. Magic was simply not supposed to exist in our world and once it was introduced it spread and corrupted things. Once they spread across the entire world humanity was basically doomed. The only way to deal with maso particles ended up being funneling them back into the Drakengard 1 world they came from, and developing the technology to do that and implementing the plan took way longer than humanity could afford.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Related: At the end of this game, is the entire universe hosed? Because the Ark is made from machine-materials that use magic, so isn't it carrying maso all over wherever it goes? And machines can be hosts for the Watchers, because Eve had their symbol on his chest, so presumably the flower continues its rampage, right?

Maso particles no longer exist in our world, so it's fine. Getting rid of them was a 'too little too late' thing though.

And yeah the dumbasses tried to nuke Ground Zero and all it did was scatter the particles to all corners of the world.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Route C/D: How do I make my Rock-Em-Sock-Em-Philosophize-Em Robot fight? I can only make it defend.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Plug in your controller

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
very helpful thank you

"Hit Square, there's a long wind-up." would've been sufficient. :v:

Bogart fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 1, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bogart posted:

very helpful thank you

"Hit Square, there's a long wind-up." would've been sufficient. :v:

Don't worry. I had the same trouble.

It's easier once you realize that the whole game has basically the same controls. Attacks for on foot work in the robot. They just go slower since it's huge.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

That sequence ain't the first time you're playing with machine controls though, your natural machine curiosity should've lead you to try every button as soon as you're in a new body

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wait, so for ending E do I have to do the thing it prompts you to? I chose not to for obvious reasons and it's not listed on my save. Neither is D for that matter now that I look at it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

veni veni veni posted:

Wait, so for ending E do I have to do the thing it prompts you to? I chose not to for obvious reasons and it's not listed on my save. Neither is D for that matter now that I look at it.

Which prompt? As long as you went through the shooty segment you should have it listed on your save.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I did. I went for C originally, went back and did D and did the shooty segment, watched the cutscene and saved and neither D or E is on there

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Going the extra mile that needs 6 positive confirmations doesn't unlock anything in the game

just your heart

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. I'm curious as to what that does if anyone wants to explain it.

Still doesn't explain why it didn't give me credit for the last 2 endings :(

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

It does pretty much exactly what you're told it does, permanently deletes all of your save files, then has the two pods thank you for playing. It also changes your title screen to a black background with Virtuous Contract stabbed into the ground

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think I'll take a last run around, then delete my file for others.

I can just get to the hack credits then abort right? Or do I have to get to the end?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Saagonsa posted:

It does pretty much exactly what you're told it does, permanently deletes all of your save files, then has the two pods thank you for playing. It also changes your title screen to a black background with Virtuous Contract stabbed into the ground

Also as the pod states, you can then be a helper for another person trying to complete the credits sequence.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Once you first defeat the bonus boss ------Emil------- does going to an earlier chapter make him respawn or are you locked out of his shop for the rest of the game? I haven't upgraded all my weapons yet so I've held off on fighting him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I also didnt realize that my save name would be used to broadcast stuff throughout the game so 'Butts' was the best worst name I could have chosen.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Desperate Character posted:

Once you first defeat the bonus boss ------Emil------- does going to an earlier chapter make him respawn or are you locked out of his shop for the rest of the game? I haven't upgraded all my weapons yet so I've held off on fighting him.

He continues to appear but he will no longer give they "hey, friendo!" or cheerful greetings.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I'll probably wait to pull the final trigger until all(?) the dlc is out and possibly (hopefully) worth checking out

tho maybe my lvl 99 save is going to trivialize anything but (arguably) desert emil boss anyway

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 1, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So was there any online component out of the dead androids? Someone told me turn turn it on or I'd miss something cool, but I can't think of what that might have been?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

So was there any online component out of the dead androids? Someone told me turn turn it on or I'd miss something cool, but I can't think of what that might have been?

The messages when you die in ending E and the help you eventually get. You get neither of those if you're offline

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I'll probably wait to pull the final trigger until all(?) the dlc is out and possibly (hopefully) worth checking out

tho maybe my lvl 99 save is going to trivialize anything but (arguably) desert emil boss anyway

no that's gonna be pretty trivial well before 99 too

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Karma, you didn't make the right choice for E, you bad person you!

Should be able to get D on your save however, by just doing ending D(and not continuing into E after). D end is split in two as well so you may as well check it out once more for some minor stuff changed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ahh. poo poo what was I supposed to pick? I don't remember a choice. Unless you mean the after credits thing which I'm not doing for obvious reasons. I only did like 10 side quests.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

veni veni veni posted:

Ahh. poo poo what was I supposed to pick? I don't remember a choice. Unless you mean the after credits thing which I'm not doing for obvious reasons. I only did like 10 side quests.

You can't get ending E on your title screen through legitimate means. If you do it, it sacrifices your save file and thus you lose all your data. If you don't do it, ending E and the one you picked that brought you there will not show up because you didn't complete them. The only way for them to appear there is for you to back up your save externally and restore it.

edit: You might be able to do it if you force quit the game right before the very tail end after you've made your choice but really why bother.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 1, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Uh-huh.

Nah. Making the choice is separate from getting C/D and E.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

You can't get ending E on your title screen through legitimate means. If you do it, it sacrifices your save file and thus you lose all your data. If you don't do it, ending E and the one you picked that brought you there will not show up because you didn't complete them. The only way for them to appear there is for you to back up your save externally and restore it.

edit: You might be able to do it if you force quit the game right before the very tail end after you've made your choice but really why bother.

Uh

none of this is true

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh. That's just what I've heard, I wouldn't know personally because I made the right decision!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Deleting my save before doing the Emil storyline would've been a worse crime. :colbert:

As is I'm gonna wait till the DLC is out and then do it.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Any choice that leads to you missing out on something jackass says is objectively the wrong choice

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah well I made the right decision too. The first time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Please, give me your strength so I can beat this shoot-em-up.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice: [How many continues has this been], [or rather] [just surrender]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm pretty early in the game (just did the second flying segment vs a repeat boss) - how much should I pay attention to buying and upgrading weapons? I played Nier 1 and there I didn't do much besides buy whichever weapon types I liked that were most powerful, and since that game had them upgrade on kills I didn't have to worry about upgrades.