Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

computer angel posted:

Maybe not. You can bet she knows how to smoke though. A pack a day to maintain her husky tenor.

Yeah, but eventually she'll end up sounding like Lemmy Kilmister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

It was this one. I thought it was actually endearing for once.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

...and the pitch! posted:

I liked a Dustin and I'm interested in what's going on in Arlo and Janis. What's happening to me?

There's nothing wrong with Arlo and Janis.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It was this one. I thought it was actually endearing for once.

I assume the current fat dog ate this skinny fast dog.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set isn't sharing.

Working Daze gives a one-two punch of "LinkedIn is dumb" and "social media friends aren't really your friends!"

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix gives us a bear that's seen some poo poo.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Six (February 13-19, 1956)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kid Fenris posted:

There's nothing wrong with Arlo and Janis.

There sure isn't. I wouldn't generally put 'interesting plot lines' in its pros list tho. I'm not sure if I could name another plot.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 30, 2017

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

There sure isn't. I wouldn't generally put 'interesting plot lines' in its pros list tho. I'm not sure if I could name another plot.

The ongoing plot of arlo being the horniest man alive.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

"This article about the history of drivers licenses posted:

New York was the first state to register automobiles in 1901. Licenses to operate vehicles came later. New York started issuing badges to chauffeurs in 1903. In that same year Massachusetts and Missouri became the first states to require all drivers, not just professionals, to have a license. Other states followed suit gradually. For example, New York state began issuing paper licenses with personal data and photographs in 1910, however there was no state-wide legal requirement for a driver’s license until 1924. The last state to require a license to drive was South Dakota in 1954."

I was curious.

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

That's Gertie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmVra1mW7LU

Wake Up! (July, 1915)

And He Did. (July, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (September, 1916)

And He Died. (August, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (August, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (July, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (January, 1941)

Tweedy (March, 1956, click for big)

Archie (January, 1956, click for big)

Feiffer (1973, click for big)

Andy Capp (September, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (November, 1971, click for big)

Dick Tracy (August, 2001, click for big)

Bonus Nancy for the Climate March

Slammy fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 30, 2017

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's dogg

Dustin

Mandrake

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

andthentheyallfucked.jpg

Also, go gently caress yourself Cringechrist.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you're going to let your cat outside you should really get him neutered. I bet he's spraying all over the place.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

In the Arlo and Janis book, Jimmy Johnson says that he considers himself more of a comedian than a playwright. It is mostly jokes, but I think the fact that the characters have been aging at a (relatively) realistic pace lends itself to some light storytelling. One reason I've had an eye on this storyline in particular is because it felt like it could be a very natural way to write a happy ending to the strip itself; it's been running for almost 32 years, Johnson is in his mid-sixties, and I can't imagine he'd let it become a legacy strip.

Someone upthread mentioned that they think of Curtis as existing in a sort of perpetual mid-90s, and I think that absolutely works for that strip. I can't think of an ideal time frame in which to set an unaging Arlo and Janis, though.

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Mar. 13, 1995)

Garfield Classic (Mar. 12-13, 1985)

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Well the answer's 1000000 but gently caress figuring out the rest of it without a calculator.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

Understanding Chaos

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

I really like this. Apart from the last one, the clues actually are pretty straightforward if you get where Amend is coming from. 12! is the easiest to run through a calculator, and there's no particular need for one on the others, if you're good at a bit of lateral thinking with your math.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Baldo

You know, Baldo sucks. I'm considering replacing it with one of its alphabetical neighbors, B.C. or Baby Blues. Any preferences?

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

random Wallace the Brave two-fer

Curtis

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Dick Tracy

And that concludes "Dick Tracy Confronts Itchy Oliver"! I hope you enjoyed it. And now, a couple pieces of bonus content.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

In the Arlo and Janis book, Jimmy Johnson says that he considers himself more of a comedian than a playwright. It is mostly jokes, but I think the fact that the characters have been aging at a (relatively) realistic pace lends itself to some light storytelling. One reason I've had an eye on this storyline in particular is because it felt like it could be a very natural way to write a happy ending to the strip itself; it's been running for almost 32 years, Johnson is in his mid-sixties, and I can't imagine he'd let it become a legacy strip.

Someone upthread mentioned that they think of Curtis as existing in a sort of perpetual mid-90s, and I think that absolutely works for that strip. I can't think of an ideal time frame in which to set an unaging Arlo and Janis, though.

Folding in a little storytelling as desired seems really hard to me. It's a credit to the writing that it seems effortless. We've certainly seen plenty of effort from hands of ham in other strips.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

Classic Flash Gordon

2000 Spiderman

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

^^^Petey, you're not... Look, you're webslinging right in front of the dude. :ughh:

Alterian posted:

If you're going to let your cat outside you should really get him neutered. I bet he's spraying all over the place.

But how could you do that to a fella????? :911:

I don't normally post Sunday Luann, but this one came up on Comics Curmudgeon and it caught my eye because it features Bernice (of course) clutching her pearls about standard procedure:

I guess it would be more socially acceptable to rattle all the doors, startle the occupants and possibly go right through a faulty lock.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 30, 2017

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

ZeeToo posted:

I really like this. Apart from the last one, the clues actually are pretty straightforward if you get where Amend is coming from. 12! is the easiest to run through a calculator, and there's no particular need for one on the others, if you're good at a bit of lateral thinking with your math.

the last one is in binary and would be 1000000 looking like the guy got himself a nice mil :)

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

sweeperbravo posted:

the last one is in binary and would be 1000000 looking like the guy got himself a nice mil :)

Well, yeah. By last clue I meant "twelve factorial". That one's just brute-force putting in an answer.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Darthemed posted:

And that concludes "Dick Tracy Confronts Itchy Oliver"! I hope you enjoyed it. And now, a couple pieces of bonus content.
I did enjoy it. I don't think I ever read a whole story of the old Chester Gould Tracy before.

F Minus

:stare:

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Jungle Jim

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

I wonder if that was how this comic was originally published. Wasn't Lynn editing these reprints at one point?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange, in which Hilary swipes Brooke's goofing around with panel borders.

Pros and Cons

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

The_Other posted:

I wonder if that was how this comic was originally published. Wasn't Lynn editing these reprints at one point?

I had most of the Foob collections when they originally came out; I do'nt remember this one at all. (Hasn't she been plugging in completely new retro-strips amongst the originals?)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ms Boods posted:

I had most of the Foob collections when they originally came out; I do'nt remember this one at all. (Hasn't she been plugging in completely new retro-strips amongst the originals?)

She was, but then her syndicate realized what a spectacular waste of money it was and just runs the original strips with the occasional seat belt edited in

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I vote for adding Baby Blues in place of Baldo.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (May 3, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets/Wash Funk on Sundays (June 17 and 24, 1928; click for supersize)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

OK! Ok! Okay! He-Man and Star Trek! I've been terrible at posting these. But today I revamped my whole process, so you should be able to expect much more regular posting of these dumb things from here on out. I hope you even remember what's been going on!

Masters of the Universe

This comic has the best burns.

I always assumed that Skeletor's whole face and skull were all bone, and then he had a bony neck, and then at some point merged into flesh somewhere under that cowl and that it would probably be super gross to look at. Today we discover that he has a fleshy neck and the line between bone and flesh is actually kind of hard to see. Maybe even his whole mandible is flesh? But I was right about it being gross!

Star Trek

Yeesh, speaking of gross fleshy necks...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set looks to impress.

Working Daze manages to make Baby Groot un-cute.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is me irl.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Wake Up! (July, 1915)

And He Did. (July, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (September, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs. (August, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (August, 1935, click for big)

They'll Do It Every Time (July, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (January, 1941)

Tweedy (March, 1956, click for big)

Archie (January, 1956, click for big)

Feiffer (1973, click for big)

Andy Capp (October, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (November, 1971, click for big)

Dick Tracy (August, 2001, click for big)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vargo posted:

You know, Baldo sucks. I'm considering replacing it with one of its alphabetical neighbors, B.C. or Baby Blues. Any preferences?
Baldo is better than either of those.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Tiggum posted:

Baldo is better than either of those.

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I say go with all of them, gently caress quality concerns. :justpost:

• Locked thread