Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If your team is diverse enough, you can also usually just pick the 4 you'll need from seeing what they have too. 'Oh, half their team is weak to fairy. So I'll keep this one with Moonblast in the back.' Stuff like that.

Egg moves on their team can still completely gently caress you over in that method though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Or, keep back your own guys. "Oh, they Weavile and Mamoswine. Guess I'm not using Garchomp."

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I know entry hazards will destroy it very quickly, but I have always wanted a doubles team of 6 Greninja with U-Turn and Mat Block. One blocks, the other hits an opponent and switches out. Is my dream feasible, goons?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Eox posted:

I know entry hazards will destroy it very quickly, but I have always wanted a doubles team of 6 Greninja with U-Turn and Mat Block. One blocks, the other hits an opponent and switches out. Is my dream feasible, goons?
My immediate response would be to start spamming Rock Slide and/or Discharge.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

Is anyone in the market for a perfect 6 IV Quirky or Impish Eevee? I'd love a shiny in return but it's not a requirement. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Mat block protects both pokemon iirc. Trick Room and literally any priority gently caress this over looking at it now.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

nobody uses entry hazards in doubles, OP

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
After reading all the talk about bulky Porygon-2, I decided to make my own. Whoooooo else needs to get a trade evo done? We'll get two birds stoned at once! Or, if you prefer the MYSTERY BOX, you can send me a junk-mon and I'll send you back a different junk-mon with a prize attached!

0533 5340 6744 - ign is Maika. Come on, somebody's gotta be on right now.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nah, Poison/Steel Garbodor that's hiding in a dumpster

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is the damage calc really this slow and cumbersome? I have no idea how I should be using this to assume what EVs I want. How am I supposed to calculate my own when I don't know what my enemy's EVs would be?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dizz posted:

Is the damage calc really this slow and cumbersome? I have no idea how I should be using this to assume what EVs I want. How am I supposed to calculate my own when I don't know what my enemy's EVs would be?
Generally speaking, just go for max in either "attacking stat and speed", "HP and attacking stat" or "HP and lower of Def/SpDef", depending on what the Pokemon is doing. Anything more specific than that is really for people who are hyper focused on very specific threats.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Generally speaking, just go for max in either "attacking stat and speed", "HP and attacking stat" or "HP and lower of Def/SpDef", depending on what the Pokemon is doing. Anything more specific than that is really for people who are hyper focused on very specific threats.

Sounds good.

fake edit: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotdoubles-569260680

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Good job, Robocop! :toot:

There's an exception for certain Pokemon who want a very specific HP stat, but that's usually to either get an extra Substitute out, or minimize Stealth Rock damage, and even then, it's very niche. So don't worry about it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PMush Perfect posted:

Right. Like "I want my Tangrowth to take less than X% from max attack Mega Metagross' Ice Punch so I can switch in Y times after calculating for Stealth Rocks and 1 layer of Spikes, so I'll give them this specific defensive spread."

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Well I mean it's fine and all if I wanna make sure Braviary survives a Z thunder from Koko in electric terrain, but what about every other single interaction? like a Helping Hand Explosion, Blizzards, Ice beams, Stone edge? Is it just a thing like "If I can survive this, I pray to god i can survive all that other stuff?

Also I tried to work Braviary but it's not working much.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dizz posted:

Well I mean it's fine and all if I wanna make sure Braviary survives a Z thunder from Koko in electric terrain, but what about every other single interaction? like a Helping Hand Explosion, Blizzards, Ice beams, Stone edge? Is it just a thing like "If I can survive this, I pray to god i can survive all that other stuff?

Also I tried to work Braviary but it's not working much.
Hardcore competitive players are weird.

Braviary's hard to use. Aside from Defiant, everything it does, Swellow or Staraptor does better.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Braviary, unfortunately, just isn't as good as Swellow or Staraptor. ^^ efb It has a chunky attack, but is just slow enough that it gets outrun by a lot of threats. Like Conversion-Z'd Porygon-Z. :unsmigghh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A decent Staraptor set could be Choice Band Intimidate, Jolly, with Brave Bird, Close Combat, U-Turn, and Quick Attack. Smogon says Talonflame is better than Staraptor, but in doubles, I think that Intimidate shouldn't be underestimated.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I was hoping to use it in Trick room and to counter intimidate users or people who who lower any stats like Icy Wind since that's been pretty common as well.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

A decent Staraptor set could be Choice Band Intimidate, Jolly, with Brave Bird, Close Combat, U-Turn, and Quick Attack. Smogon says Talonflame is better than Staraptor, but in doubles, I think that Intimidate shouldn't be underestimated.

why would Jim Smogon say talonflame is better than staraptor

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

does talonflame get a doubles niche out of fairy resist+tailwind

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
There's no mention of Talonflame on the Sun/Moon page for Staraptor so I'm guessing it was the Gen6 page that said it was better. They could have got over the Gale Wings thing though with a new secret.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 30, 2017

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7battlespotdoubles-569316147

I really need to find a replacement for Braviary. Also might just put Chomp in a more offensive role, He kinda just hits someone and they either take like 50% life or barely anything, and then he dies and goes to hell

useless prick (Garchomp) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rough Skin
Level: 50
EVs: 28 HP / 172 Atk / 4 Def / 52 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide

Should I just switch to something else or go with the ultimate prick [Lando - T] and remove Arcanine for something else?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Gale Wings only working when Talonflame's at full HP only makes sneaky pebbles all the more central to the metagame which suuuuucks. I think Garchomp's niche is primarily in singles -- maximum beef and maximum poke works wonders still for dealing with physical attackers. If you use Lando-T I will think less of you -- try Hitmontop instead.

e: And Ursaring @ Flame Orb as a Braviary replacement. :getin:

Bogart fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 1, 2017

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Hilariously enough jolly Ursaring with 228 EV's under quick feet will outspeed all non scarf Garchomp, and can hit back hard with Ice Punch (not a guaranteed OHKO, but close against offensive Garchomps). Not quite a counter but funny and unexpected. Ice Punch in an ORAS tutor move if not playing on Showdown.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

PSWII60 posted:

Hilariously enough jolly Ursaring with 228 EV's under quick feet will outspeed all non scarf Garchomp, and can hit back hard with Ice Punch (not a guaranteed OHKO, but close against offensive Garchomps). Not quite a counter but funny and unexpected. Ice Punch in an ORAS tutor move if not playing on Showdown.

I figured if we're already using the Trick Room, may as well go slow and go with Guts / Flame Orb for nuclear attack. STAB Guts/Burn Facade has ridiculous BP.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The only sensible thing would be to run a Toxic Orb Quick Feet Ursaring and a Flame Orb Guts Swellow and name them "Banjo" and "Kazooie"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bogart posted:

Gale Wings only working when Talonflame's at full HP only makes sneaky pebbles all the more central to the metagame which suuuuucks.

I sorta feel like it's the opposite - it's expected that your opponent will have rocks so people just don't use Talonflame so there's honestly less pressure to prioritize putting rocks out ASAP.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The only sensible thing would be to run a Toxic Orb Quick Feet Ursaring and a Flame Orb Guts Swellow and name them "Banjo" and "Kazooie"

I love you for this. Thank you.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Due to the Burn nerf, you only run Toxic Orb on pokemon that need to be poisoned.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Crosspeice posted:

Due to the Burn nerf, you only run Toxic Orb on pokemon that need to be poisoned.
VGC has Item Clause, doesn't it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PSWII60 posted:

I love you for this. Thank you.
Excadrill named Bottles.
Gothitelle named Gruntilda
Dusclops named Mumbo

I dunno about the sixth, though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[very calmly, and not furious] mismagius would be gruntilda and marowak would be mumbo. and uh. vespiqueen would be honey b from tooie

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

[very calmly, and not furious] mismagius would be gruntilda

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that is nowhere near as gruntildish as mismagius

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
pokemon thread, i saw bw's soundtrack on sale but i kinda don't remember it. was it any good/worth buying the hard copy over? please provide examples for or against it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

oddium posted:

[very calmly, and not furious] mismagius would be gruntilda and marowak would be mumbo. and uh. vespiqueen would be honey b from tooie

Meloetta as Tooty

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Hammerite posted:

Meloetta as Tooty

Teddiursa

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The White Dragon posted:

pokemon thread, i saw bw's soundtrack on sale but i kinda don't remember it. was it any good/worth buying the hard copy over? please provide examples for or against it

I'm on phone but BW's soundtrack was pretty good . As a specific example, Route 10 is fantastic. I'd buy it if I saw it cheap but I buy a bunch of cheap OST CDs just to have them.

For what it's worth, though you didn't mention it's an option, BW2's is probably the better value purchase if it comes up since it came with Emerald/Platinum tracks missing from the RS/DP OSTs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

That's the beautiful Gruntilda after she steals Tooty's beauty.

Tooty is Trubbish in this scenario