Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zaphod42 posted:

Sniper Ghost Warrior 1 & 2 were hilariously unbelievably terribad. Its a game that exists as a con to get people's grandmas to buy it for them on accident.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph6d1iFAncc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The best sniping game I ever played is The Hunter, if you can get over sniping deer instead of badguys:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253710/theHunter/

It has a very awkward pay2play transaction scheme, but its really worth it. Huuuuuge open world where you really have to sneak up on your targets and shoot them from far away, and really worry about making your shots count, because Deer are skittish as gently caress and if they so much as smell you they're just going to bolt running and you'll never catch them.

Its a game that really really tests your patience, but when you spend 40 minutes tracking a huge buck and you're sitting at the top of a hill waiting because you know he's about to come down this way, and then he walks right into the clearing you were aiming at, and you hold your breath and land the one perfect shot... its massively satisfying.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait you actually played Sniper Ghost Warrior? Jesus Christ Why?

YES. I'm convinced Sniper Ghost Warrior sells only because people get the name confused with Sniper Elite. Like, its a game called Sniper, so it must be a good FPS right?

Sniper Ghost Warrior 1 & 2 were hilariously unbelievably terribad. Its a game that exists as a con to get people's grandmas to buy it for them on accident.

Sniper Ghost Warrior is as linear and scripted as FPS get, "go here, shoot this guy, go here, shoot that guy" and there's no real sniping from long ranges. Its so stupid.

Sniper Elite 1 was a great sandbox sniper game with slowmo. Sniper Elite 2 and 3 have better graphics but the levels are much more linear. Still, they're proper games with actual stuff you can do and fun to be had, unlike Ghost Warrior which suuuuucks.

SGW should pretend to be a game that sells well instead of a b tier title like SE.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4nXmrk-V_w

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anybody made a game with the same format as Sniper Ghost Warrior except like instead of shooting priority targets in the noggin, you shoot a prop hand that slaps pretty girls on their behinds? Asking for a friend here.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Has anybody made a game with the same format as Sniper Ghost Warrior except like instead of shooting priority targets in the noggin, you shoot a prop hand that slaps pretty girls on their behinds? Asking for a friend here.

Gal Gun: Double Peace

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

You might have heard of me as the main protagonist of sniper elite

Friends call me the snipman

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait you actually played Sniper Ghost Warrior? Jesus Christ Why?

YES. I'm convinced Sniper Ghost Warrior sells only because people get the name confused with Sniper Elite. Like, its a game called Sniper, so it must be a good FPS right?

Sniper Ghost Warrior is as linear and scripted as FPS get, "go here, shoot this guy, go here, shoot that guy" and there's no real sniping from long ranges. Its so stupid.

Sniper Elite 1 was a great sandbox sniper game with slowmo. Sniper Elite 2 and 3 have better graphics but the levels are much more linear. Still, they're proper games with actual stuff you can do and fun to be had, unlike Ghost Warrior which suuuuucks.

Sgw3 is pretty fun

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The only Sniper Ghost Warrior I've played is the recent third one and the main missions and Far Cry-style outposts where they let you do whatever you want are pretty fun. The open world is meh though, the player movement is too slow for it and it's pretty rare to find cars even if it's ~~realistic.~~

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I always thought that the Silent Scope series was the first and last word when it came to realistic and thrilling sniping action

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you played dredmor, were you a bad enough dude to take down this shithead

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

should have taken pyrokinetics instead of fungal arts

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

GUI posted:

The only Sniper Ghost Warrior I've played is the recent third one and the main missions and Far Cry-style outposts where they let you do whatever you want are pretty fun. The open world is meh though, the player movement is too slow for it and it's pretty rare to find cars even if it's ~~realistic.~~

I would love a sniping focused game that's framed like the new Hitman. Huge maps with various missions/challenges that you can take and the game would be more of a puzzle of "how do I get a good shot and do this as efficiently as possible"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There are already a few good sniping challenges in Hitman, the Bangkok one seemed real tricky

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

metricchip posted:

I would love a sniping focused game that's framed like the new Hitman. Huge maps with various missions/challenges that you can take and the game would be more of a puzzle of "how do I get a good shot and do this as efficiently as possible"

I'm getting deja vu...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There are already a few good sniping challenges in Hitman, the Bangkok one seemed real tricky

I like sniping the elusive targets when possible since you only get one shot at it (it means you usually miss out on silent assassin rating though but w/e)

The one where the elusive targets were twins and you had to kill the one wearing a wristwatch was neat

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sakurazuka posted:

Scorpio is gonna cost as much as a 3DO when they came out lol

yeah and that and microsoft making hosed up tech at launch is probably why i will wait.

Sakurazuka posted:

I wish Bioshock Infinite was just a walking simulator around a gorgeous floating city because that's the best bit.

maybe, i kinda wish it were more like bioshock 1. instead it just feels like a more "complex" CoD. bioshock 1 was good because yeah there was fighting and killing, but you could wander around and look at poo poo and the world felt lived in. infinte is just set piece after set piece with like 300 cops and with very little time to let the game breath. I am hoping Prey gives me that Shock shot i need.

GUI posted:

i may pick that up someday. i just heard its a buggy mess.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish there was a briefcase for your sniper rifle in the new Hitman, but I've been told the developers had trouble figuring out how to program Agent 47's left hand.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

oddium posted:

should have taken pyrokinetics instead of fungal arts
iirc that was a randomized run, so I saw a mostly-good set of skills and ran with it

fungal arts is still great though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

god bless ikea

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just saw a TV commercial for Let It Die and what the gently caress is this game

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

I just saw a TV commercial for Let It Die and what the gently caress is this game

It's vaguely a roguelike with gameplay similar to dark souls, and the stylings of Suda51.

It's actually pretty cool, but its got a medium amount of f2p bullshit.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

No More Heroes Souls

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Awesome.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I'm hoping for Horizon DLC reveal and maybe the next Tomb Raider in addition to the stuff that is already known. Pie in the sky HEXEN reboot from Bethesda.
Hexen is owned by Raven, who are on the COD chain gang and haven't been allowed to make a game of their own since they ballsed up Singularity super hard. Also, Hexen has aged very very poorly indeeYOU HAVE COMPLETED ONE SIXTH OF THE PUZZLE OF THE APRIL CHAT THREAD

Help Im Alive posted:

Can we come up with a better name than walking simulators for those types of games
"(name)'s Level Design Portfolio Piece"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Guy Mann posted:

Thinking back on it, Stubbs the Zombie was way ahead of its time because it too was a game about an anachronistic sci-fi utopia being destroyed by an outside supernatural force. Only instead of lighthouses and Big Daddies it was barbershop quartets with rayguns and dance-offs against police chiefs.

You're pretty spry for a dead man!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtaDL0qXCVE

That game was insane and I liked the contemporary versions of the songs of the era.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Kins posted:

Hexen is owned by Raven, who are on the COD chain gang and haven't been allowed to make a game of their own since they ballsed up Singularity super hard. Also, Hexen has aged very very poorly indeeYOU HAVE COMPLETED ONE SIXTH OF THE PUZZLE OF THE APRIL CHAT THREAD
"(name)'s Level Design Portfolio Piece"

holy poo poo. thats depressing. also remeber when polygon actually did good interesting articles, those were the days. :( but on singularty. it was an interesting idea but i can totaly believe what the dude said, it felt almost half finished and a mish mash of ideas that were rushed in to fit a bullshit crunch.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 1, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Started xenoblade on 3ds
The textures are so bad i dont think i can use the 3d because it shimmers so badly but drat the game plays great and starts strong

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

holy poo poo. thats depressing. also remeber when polygon actually did good interesting articles, those were the days. :( but on singularty. it was an interesting idea but i can totaly believe what the dude said, it felt almost half finished and a mish mash of ideas that were rushed in to fit a bullshit crunch.

Singularity went through a Bioshock Infinite-esque development hell where plenty of the developmental changes are available online for everyone to see. Less than a year before the game's release there were previews with entire areas, weapons, characters, third person cutscenes and a voiced main character which never made it into the finished game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GUI posted:

Singularity went through a Bioshock Infinite-esque development hell where plenty of the developmental changes are available online for everyone to see. Less than a year before the game's release there were previews with entire areas, weapons, characters, third person cutscenes and a voiced main character which never made it into the finished game.

yeah that sucks. its still not bad considering all that. hope prey is good, demo has me sorta stoked.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

GUI posted:

Sounds like what happened to TimeShift.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

Sounds like what happened to TimeShift.

i never beat that game, i kinda got far i think, but then i stopped giving a poo poo. the gameplay is fun, but it never feels fleshed out enough to be great.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GUI posted:

That's impressive considering that Singularity was already pretty good.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So who's making the may thread?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jay Rust posted:

Walk 'em up

Wamup

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

So who's making the may thread?
I haven't MAYd one before, but I can give it a shot!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The OP should just be an image of Mei from Overwatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The OP should just be an image of Mei from Overwatch

good games only please

• Locked thread