Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

4d3d3d posted:

Was that guy not joking when he said that it's ok for Kendrick Lamar to be sexist because millions of women like his music? Sorry, I'm on SA so I can't tell when people are being ironic or just stupid. I assume just stupid

I think it's OK for Kendrick Lamar to do stuff you think is sexist if millions of women like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
millions of women like it when i poop on they're titties lmao.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

4d3d3d posted:

Was that guy not joking when he said that it's ok for Kendrick Lamar to be sexist because millions of women like his music? Sorry, I'm on SA so I can't tell when people are being ironic or just stupid. I assume just stupid

Did you even listen to what the song is about or just hear the word bitch and go on a posting tangent that makes you sound like a talking head on Fox News?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

4d3d3d posted:

I mean the entire economy of this country is built on racism, patronizing or otherwise. It just galls me that we're being asked to forgive lovely art because it comes from the oppressed, because the same people who like it simultaneously do everything they can to stymie efforts to help the oppressed. Sorry for saying things about stuff here though.

No need to apologize to me, friend.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
if women like a thing it can't be sexist.

everything: *is sexist*

heh heh... got u, ladies

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

4d3d3d posted:

millions of women like it when i poop on they're titties lmao.

I really doubt that.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
I'm a policepersyn and I like to listen to NWA. All the guys in my precinct consider me the crazy one!!! My sergeant says "LOL, Fuckler, you love that black music so I guess that explains why you only beat down a dozen guys today. If you listened to Kenny Chesney like the rest of us it would have been 13!" Ghahaha. Yes, I am one unique white man.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Did you even listen to what the song is about or just hear the word bitch and go on a posting tangent that makes you sound like a talking head on Fox News?

I didn't do anything that would require that I engage you like you're some kind of equal to me, if you're wondering

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really doubt that.

Dude they're's gotta be at least a million bitches on this planet who are into that. Look how many bitches exist seriously

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Never enjoyed the Johnny Depp pirates movies. I think Cutthroat Island is better. Also the soundtrack sounds note for note exactly the same as The Rock.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

4d3d3d posted:

Dude they're's gotta be at least a million bitches on this planet who are into that. Look how many bitches exist seriously

Why are you saying bitches now? I thought you didn't like that word

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

4d3d3d posted:

I went and listened to five seconds of "Humble" and it's the same stultifying moronic sexist poo poo as every other rap song ever produced. Glad I got that out of my system at least

What the gently caress are you talking about?

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

The_Rob posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?
lmao

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I looked up Humble, this is the part of the song where the music video shows a big rear end

I'm so fuckin' sick and tired of the Photoshop
Show me somethin' natural like afro on Richard Pryor
Show me somethin' natural like rear end with some stretch marks

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aramek posted:

Just listen to disco and never feel bad about anything. It's what I do and it rules.

Those Bee Gees albums when they got to their soul era - Main Course through Spirits Having Flown - are just plain better than anything just about any prog rock or heavy metal band was doing at the same time.

Music tribalism is very silly, of course, but despite that, I have a very difficult time believing that anyone actually enjoys progressive rock.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Music tribalism is very silly, of course, but despite that, I have a very difficult time believing that anyone actually enjoys progressive rock.

Fight me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Prog rock and Guitar virtuoso stuff is definetly the worst music.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Those Bee Gees albums when they got to their soul era - Main Course through Spirits Having Flown - are just plain better than anything just about any prog rock or heavy metal band was doing at the same time.

Yes and King Crimson rules my dude.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Every genre has some good music and a lot of bad. Except for your favorite genre, that one is all bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sometimes I secretly enjoy some prog rock but I like making fun of it anyways and pretending I hate it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The worst thing about prog rock and music that focuses on technical skill more than anything else is the people who are insufferable about it. Like "well I would enjoy that band but the guy can't accurately play 64th notes for fifteen minutes solid so they just aren't good enough!" :smug:

I like to bring up the Ramones as a counter example. They were technically speaking awful musicians but incredibly entertaining.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There was an old David Thorpe article that compared that kind of music or metal the artistic equivalent of a secretary that can type really fast.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I like to bring up the Ramones as a counter example. They were technically speaking awful musicians but incredibly entertaining.

My unpopular opinion is that the Ramones get really stale beyond one album. And I like a lot of punk.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Guy Goodbody posted:

I looked up Humble, this is the part of the song where the music video shows a big rear end

I'm so fuckin' sick and tired of the Photoshop
Show me somethin' natural like afro on Richard Pryor
Show me somethin' natural like rear end with some stretch marks

i'm sorry you had to listen to it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

Prog rock and Guitar virtuoso stuff is definetly the worst music.

A lot of it just seems showy for the sake of being showy to me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jastiger posted:

What was she right about?

Every citadel species was working on their own secret projects and was pursuing their own independent goals even before poo poo completely hit the fan. When disaster struck each species looked to their own, abandoning their supposed equals in the galactic community. They loved their dogs but when the bears were at the door they let them loose and ran the other way.

Humanity was right to put itself first and protect its own interests. Almost everyone else was doing the same the whole time. Complete integration into the galactic community, subservient to the senior species, led to extinctions.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but she actively advocated against even collaborating with aliens at all. No one disagreed that humans should look out for #1, your existence as a SPECTRE kind of confirmed that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The album as we know it today (as opposed to what it originally was: a collection of singles) is the worst thing that has ever happened in music but, luckily, will be a thing of the past within our lifetimes.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Henchman of Santa posted:

My unpopular opinion is that the Ramones get really stale beyond one album. And I like a lot of punk.

Eh, they were fine through Leave Home, after that it was just kinda meh. AC/DC is the same, after Bon died it was all mediocre.

My unpopular opinion? No band has ever managed more than about ten really good years; that includes the Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Depeche Mode, U2, Radiohead, nobody.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JnnyThndrs posted:

Eh, they were fine through Leave Home, after that it was just kinda meh. AC/DC is the same, after Bon died it was all mediocre.

My unpopular opinion? No band has ever managed more than about ten really good years; that includes the Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Depeche Mode, U2, Radiohead, nobody.

The Beatles only existed for 10 years.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

JnnyThndrs posted:

Fleet wood Mac

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Beatles only existed for 10 years.

You're right, my bad, should have used a different example. Regardless, they were definitely a spent force at the end.

oldpainless posted:

Fleet wood Mac

Fleetwood Mac is kind of an anomaly because there are(at least)* two quite different bands there - early FM doing trad blues like Rattlesnake Shake and later Mac doing gorgeous harmony over Lindsey Buckingham's weird-but-catchy song structures.
The only thing bridging the two are the drummer and bassist, who don't really write the songs.

Neither version managed to make great music longer than ten years.

*and early Seventies Bob Welch FM who made gentle-ish adult contemporary music.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dandruff isn't gross.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

The album as we know it today (as opposed to what it originally was: a collection of singles) is the worst thing that has ever happened in music but, luckily, will be a thing of the past within our lifetimes.

It already kind of is. The music industry was banking on the fact that people would buy an album for the three good songs on it because the gently caress else were they going to do? Because each piece of physical media could only hold X minutes of content albums were basically that amount of music. How much depended on the media.

The internet ruined that. Now you can go on iTunes and buy the one good song for 99 cents instead of shelling out $20 for the whole CD when you just wanted one of the songs anyway. As much as the recording industry likes to whine about how the internet is ruining their profits that's a good thing. They were downright disrespectful toward their customers. A lot of entertainment was, actually; movies would bank on hype trains bringing in the money before word got around that the movie was actually garbage. Now you can find out if a movie is worth watching or not while its first public screening is going on.

It's far more difficult to sell garbage these days.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

JnnyThndrs posted:

Modest Mouse

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Dandruff isn't gross.

True to the 'dat. Also psoriasis. Psoriasis is really satisfying to have. Scraping big silvery scales off of my skin is great. Great big scabby flakes peeling off of inflamed tender skin. I hear tell of those who eat their psoriasis scabs but I havent worked up the courage. Such ambrosia is fit only for the gods. Am I worthy?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JnnyThndrs posted:

I'd say Metallica lasted slightly more than 10 years and still put out some good stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JnnyThndrs posted:

Tenacious D

E: VVV 100% agreed

WampaLord has a new favorite as of 07:15 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Every music discussion is just endless back and forth "the bands i like are the best" "nuh uh mine are, idiot".

It's therefore the most uninteresting topic for conversation aside from talking about your dreams.