Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mardu is an established deck and has many months of tweaking behind it, where as the rest of the slop that was played was brewed up like a week and a half ago, prob less because copycat was still a deck until Wednesday.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Edit: also as Cedric just said, Mardu is a very complete 75 card deck, and none of the opposing decks have felt that way

Exactly this. Watch the deck tech with UR Emerge and when the guy gets asked why he didn't play Fiery Temper he makes a protracted fart sound for like a minute straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Lone Goat posted:

Exactly this. Watch the deck tech with UR Emerge and when the guy gets asked why he didn't play Fiery Temper he makes a protracted fart sound for like a minute straight.

Lmaoooo that really does sum up the whole weekend. He literally went "I don't play it, not cuz it's not good, uh... and...... not cuz I don't like it in this meta, but... uh..... I mean.... it's a good card and it probably should... I don't know"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

YggdrasilTM posted:

Mardu is the Abzan of current standard.

A deck that will be claimed to be far more degenerate than it actually was, a deck that will be fondly remembered when people start complaining about the next standard, or both?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

This deck owns BTW, also congrats because blue duals are generally more expensive than non-blue ones.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
At least the less lovely Jessup brother won.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
The stupid Smuggler's Copter ban fucks up this entire standard. That card would have enabled some sweet decks, but now the only way to enable the new Roar of the Wurm is with trash like Noose Constrictor, and it isn't good enough on its face. I mean the card was pushed too hard but now there's a critical lack of enablers for various decks.

It's a great limited environment but I think they whiffed hard in constructed with this set compared to Kaladesh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Marketing New Brain posted:

The stupid Smuggler's Copter ban fucks up this entire standard. That card would have enabled some sweet decks, but now the only way to enable the new Roar of the Wurm is with trash like Noose Constrictor, and it isn't good enough on its face. I mean the card was pushed too hard but now there's a critical lack of enablers for various decks.

It's a great limited environment but I think they whiffed hard in constructed with this set compared to Kaladesh.

They should've banned Gideon if they wanted to really shake up the format.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I've been testing a RG discard deck with Honored Hydra, Fiery Temper, and Hazoret, using Insolent Neonate, Key to the City, Bloodrage Brawler, and Noose Constrictor and while it can go off consistently it does feel a bit like 1 or two key pieces are missing. Same for BR variants, although you trade the wurm for better removal options there. Copter would be great to have in either, but without it I'm not sure the deck can get above FNM worthy. Maybe we'll get something to fill the gap in Hour of Devastation.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 1, 2017

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lmaoooo that really does sum up the whole weekend. He literally went "I don't play it, not cuz it's not good, uh... and...... not cuz I don't like it in this meta, but... uh..... I mean.... it's a good card and it probably should... I don't know"

I was ironing at tge tine, but didn't he say he'd have to drop discard outlets for it? Seemed reasonable.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I've been testing a RG discard deck with Honored Hydra, Fiery Temper, and Hazoret, using Insolent Neonate, Key to the City, Bloodrage Brawler, and Noose Constrictor and while it can go off consistently it does feel a bit like 1 or two key pieces are missing. Same for BR variants, although you trade the wurm for better removal options there. Copter would be great to have in either, but without it I'm not sure the deck can get above FNM worthy.

Well for one thing, you forgot Ravenous Bloodseeker.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I tested out Bloodseeker but I think Bloodrage is better, especially against some of the beefier aggro decks popping up recently. And rarely do I have to pitch anything that I regret later. Posted my list below, although the sideboard is just what I threw together offhand and definitely needs some work. I'm on the fence about the Flameblade Adept; the menace and p/t are useful early but they're really dead late game except to pitch.

// 60 Maindeck
// 1 Artifact
1 Key to the City

// 23 Creature
4 Noose Constrictor
3 Hazoret the Fervent
4 Honored Hydra
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Bloodrage Brawler
4 Flameblade Adept

// 14 Spells
4 Fiery Temper
4 Lightning Axe
4 Tormenting Voice
2 Insult

// 22 Land
8 Mountain
6 Forest
4 Game Trail
4 Cinder Glade

// 15 Sideboard
// 3 Creature
SB: 3 Manglehorn
SB: 3 Heaven
SB: 4 Magma Spray
SB: 3 Kari Zev's Expertise
SB: 2 By Force

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Mardu decks still have access to 6 or 7 of the 10 best cards as far as anybody knew on midnight Thursday. I'm not expecting that deck to fall any lower than tier 2 by the end of PT, and that would be a pretty severe drop based on the quality of the cards. Gaoz is still not troubled by any great answers. (RIP Smug Copter)

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

C-Euro posted:

This deck owns BTW, also congrats because blue duals are generally more expensive than non-blue ones.

Thanks, don't think it would have faired too well in competitive play but I had a lot of fun with it. TBH, I don't remember putting Johan in but I'm glad i did because that made me keep more dual lands. Kind of redundant since the Serra Angels already don't tap but who cares.

Would it be worthwhile to get them graded before I sell them?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lol no, unless they're black bordered. I will also buy them all off you at less than market rates :)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah send them to me and I'll grade them for free :v:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

mcmagic posted:

At least the less lovely Jessup brother won.

He still has an incredibly punch-worthy face. (even if less so)

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

The Deleter posted:

What's the best way for me and a buddy to do a sealed draft for Ahmonkhet? I'm guessing "buy a fuckload of boosters" isn't a very effective way to do it. Where do I source Lands from?

Confirming previous quoter of your post, that buying 'Bundles' (previously known as 'Fat Packs' IIRC) works great for this. I missed the Amonkhet prerelease and rather than play in the regular release draft tourney this past weekend, a friend and I just got a Bundle each and played 1-on-1 6-pack Sealed at his house, no other products or equipment required.

(We played 'tennis rules', first player to at least 6 wins by a margin of 2, wins the match - which was way better than best-2-of-3 since I got to see much more of my deck over ~10+ games.)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

InterrupterJones posted:

He still has an incredibly punch-worthy face. (even if less so)

i know i've said this before but this is an incredibly normal and not weird at all thing for an adult to say

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
*guy who's never been in a fight in his life voice* this guy's face is so bad that I'm going to do kung-fu style punches and kicks on it despite never exercising and either being extremely fat or extremely skinny

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

little munchkin posted:

i know i've said this before but this is an incredibly normal and not weird at all thing for an adult to say

Backpfeifengesicht

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

little munchkin posted:

*guy who's never been in a fight in his life voice* this guy's face is so bad that I'm going to do kung-fu style punches and kicks on it despite never exercising and either being extremely fat or extremely skinny
                            /

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

little munchkin posted:

oh i grew up poor and was in lots of fights do i get to be the high arbiter of this

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Meh. It's pretty clearly the best deck in that room today, specifically, but there were at least 4 instances I saw where the opponent just punted away a win against them. It doesn't seem unbeatable, just the right call for a 48 hour old format.

It doesn't seem unbeatable but it is the current "no bullshit allowed" deck of the format, their toolcraft -> heart -> toolcraft + removal -> Gideon type draws are very similar to the Abzan Aggro fleecemane -> anafenza -> rhino type draws. Some decks just can't beat that.

Hope the PT will breathe some life in to standard.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mardu being both aggro and established shouldn't be a surprise that it won week 1. Control now has to not worry about Saheeli and can focus more hate on Mardu.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

little munchkin posted:

I'm just regular fat, I exercise occasionally, and I've punched plenty of people in the face so I'd say I'm something of an expert here, and they both have extremely punchable faces. I think it's because they don't have necks.

Also in the interest of full disclosure everyone I've ever punched in the face was by accident and as far as I can remember none of them deserved it or had punchable faces.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

little munchkin posted:

I never said I'd actually do it. Also I'm neither extremely fat nor extremely skinny.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone buy cardboard storage boxes online without getting ripped off? Amazon is like 12 bucks for a 1600 count....

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

Anyone buy cardboard storage boxes online without getting ripped off? Amazon is like 12 bucks for a 1600 count....

Get a large order through BCW. Over $80 is free shipping, which will otherwise be a large portion of your expense. Turns out giant flat things aren't cheap to ship. If you don't need $80 of boxes, ask your LGS if you can order a bunch through them, or if not see if any of your homies want to go in with you on a big order.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

mcmagic posted:

For one? That's crazy. LGS's sell those for like $3. Are you sure it isn't like a four / five pack?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I can go to one of three different stores around me within a half hour and buy them for $2 each. I don't think you live in the middle of nowhere, IIRC, have you tried stores around you? Even sports card hobby shops could carry them.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

For one? That's crazy. LGS's sell those for like $3. Are you sure it isn't like a four / five pack?

Naw getting a box from Amazon costs a ton because you can't ship a giant wide/long package for cheap even if it's totally flat. If you're getting 50 boxes at once it isn't a substantially higher cost to ship compared to just getting one, but Amazon dealers don't generally do bulk shipping.

but yeah check your LGS McMagic

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Its an ebb and flow. Sometimes sellers are selling them super cheap on amazon while other times its expensive as hell.

Hellsau posted:

Naw getting a box from Amazon costs a ton because you can't ship a giant wide/long package for cheap even if it's totally flat. If you're getting 50 boxes at once it isn't a substantially higher cost to ship compared to just getting one, but Amazon dealers don't generally do bulk shipping.

but yeah check your LGS McMagic

I have gotten them unfolded for very cheap off prime more than a few times.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I'm doing it guys, I'm really doing it!

E:

I did ittttt

Take a guess at the last card in my library :allears:

EE:

Won the second match with Approach, too. This card is too much fun.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 1, 2017

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Is there any information out there on prerelease / set release dates for the next 12-24 months? Even if there aren't actual names attached to the dates.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Lone Goat posted:

Which just got to show you how dumb of a deck builder this guy is considering U/R Emerge has had a pretty solid 75 even through infinite cat festival. Pulling Firey Temper from the 75 is the worst instant he could have yanked, especially for a 2cmc creature that just turns on opposing Fatal Pushes.

I went 3-1 with the deck on Friday with my match loss being due to screw in game one and and flood in game three of round 1. I beat the mardu 75 that won this scg fairly convincingly in round four.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Question for judges: if I'm making infinite mana and then use it to activate a duskwatch recruiter infinitely, pulling all creatures from my deck, can I shortcut by just looking through my deck? Do I "know" my deck order at this point, allowing me to stack my deck essentially since I can put three back in any order and repeat until I've stacked the entire deck? I guess the only issue being if my deck has a number of cards left divisible by 3 so I'd see the same 3 as the deck looped around.

I know when I make infinite scrys with viscera seer I can shortcut by just picking the deck up and cutting to the card I want on top. I just want to make sure I shortcut correctly with recruiter as I test the new infinite mana combo in abzan company.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Question for judges: if I'm making infinite mana and then use it to activate a duskwatch recruiter infinitely, pulling all creatures from my deck, can I shortcut by just looking through my deck? Do I "know" my deck order at this point, allowing me to stack my deck essentially since I can put three back in any order and repeat until I've stacked the entire deck? I guess the only issue being if my deck has a number of cards left divisible by 3 so I'd see the same 3 as the deck looped around.

I know when I make infinite scrys with viscera seer I can shortcut by just picking the deck up and cutting to the card I want on top. I just want to make sure I shortcut correctly with recruiter as I test the new infinite mana combo in abzan company.

If you don't take any creatures, you can look through your deck outside of one or two remainer cards if your deck isn't divisible by three. By activating the Duskwatch the same number of times twice, you can get past those remainders and you get back to the original deck order. It seems like you should be allowed to look through your library, but call a judge to make sure they're fine with it in advance. At that point you can plot out which creatures you need to take and how many times you need to activate to get a certain card onto the top of your library.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

It depends on the judge. Some will let you, some won't.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

currently 1-0 with this sweetness, listening to Dopesmoker while playing makes sticking glorybringer feel that much more :black101:

2-1, as usual to mana screw in the 3rd match :qq: to some whiny bitch that got all huffy when i won the first game then proceeded to watch me mull to five and complain when I cast any removal

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Having been on the side of having Glorybringer, it's kind of dumb in limited. It can't even hit itself, so no threaten or clone effects.