Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Baloogan posted:

lol yall getting OWNED by the bundies hahahahahahahahahaha

they're all going to die next time as a result lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

they're all going to die next time as a result lol

thats what they want

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol page 420

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Baloogan posted:

lol page 420

Blaze it man.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Baloogan posted:

thats what they want

didn't know I had so much in common with them

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Is there a "legal" way to black bag them and hurl them in Guantanamo for terrorism charges?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Talmonis posted:

Is there a "legal" way to black bag them and hurl them in Guantanamo for terrorism charges?

obama just straight up had citizens shot with no trial so i figure thatd be easier

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Talmonis posted:

Does it matter?

The current administration can do whatever it wants, legal or not, and no one will stop them.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Talmonis posted:

it's far more efficient to just feed their base opiods and deny them healthcare

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

it's far more efficient to just feed their base opiods and deny them healthcare
:colbert: Mormons don't do drugs.

Yes they do. The head cultural resources guy from a local park was giving a talk about a dig he went on in Utah on a Mormon farmstead. They found a poo poo ton of booze and narcotic bottles out behind where the barn had been. The Mormon college sponsoring the dig had a fit and demanded the report call them "beverage bottles".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

obama just straight up had citizens shot with no trial so i figure thatd be easier

Who?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

the tarp ghost i presume

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

that one terrorist sympathizing Wahhabi rear end in a top hat alwaki because he probably radicalized a bunch of the various attackers. while i think its a bad precedent, personally i think the world is better off with one less wahhabi cleric poo poo head. the only unfortunate part was his son was with him when he got voiped.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that one terrorist sympathizing Wahhabi rear end in a top hat alwaki because he probably radicalized a bunch of the various attackers. while i think its a bad precedent, personally i think the world is better off with one less wahhabi cleric poo poo head. the only unfortunate part was his son was with him when he got voiped.

His son was collateral damage when they took out another target, IIRC.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Talmonis posted:

they're white, so no

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Casimir Radon posted:

Yes they do. The head cultural resources guy from a local park was giving a talk about a dig he went on in Utah on a Mormon farmstead. They found a poo poo ton of booze and narcotic bottles out behind where the barn had been. The Mormon college sponsoring the dig had a fit and demanded the report call them "beverage bottles".

If you go fishing with one Mormon, bring two.

If you bring one, he’ll drink all your beer.

Two will keep each other in line.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah, and his daughter who was 8 got killed in the botched Yemen raid that they sold to Donnie as something Obama wouldn't have signed off on.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's never been an explanation of why we killed his son or who we were supposedly actually targeting if it wasn't him

According to "leaks", Ibrahim all Banna was the target but it later turned out to he wasnt there and hes still alive.

SickZip has issued a correction as of 05:28 on May 1, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Mormons have a prohibition on alcohol for the same reason that we passed prohibition as a country. Apparently everyone in the 19th/early 20th century was a raging alcoholic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mormons have a prohibition on alcohol for the same reason other religions do:

They hate fun.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

hobbesmaster posted:

Mormons have a prohibition on alcohol for the same reason that we passed prohibition as a country. Apparently everyone in the 19th/early 20th century was a raging alcoholic.

Yeah, it gets understated how bad it was back then but it was really really bad and in many ways prohibition actually did what it set out to do.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Platystemon posted:

If you go fishing with one Mormon, bring two.

If you bring one, he’ll drink all your beer.

Two will keep each other in line.

conversely, bring lots of beer and let the poor dude unwind

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah, it gets understated how bad it was back then but it was really really bad and in many ways prohibition actually did what it set out to do.

likewise, reserves with alcohol problems are often dry, because the only way to get raging addiction in check is to cut booze out of your community

this probably also has some connection to why black communities supported the drug war; sometimes the devil is more appealing than the deep blue sea

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Legitimately I think one of my worst decisions in recent memory was getting sucked into that whole Bundy mess because prior to it I was almost entirely ignorant to the whole "sov citizen" thing and now I not only know way too much about it but I know that its apparently plentiful enough in parts of this country that you can't even get a proper trial for these guys.

How has this shitstorm not gone Waco? (That's not me calling for it, just genuine confusion as to how the unmovable object has not yet smashed against the irresistible force.)

Hodgepodge posted:

conversely, bring lots of beer and let the poor dude unwind

I'm all for letting people unwind but I don't want to be the guy stuck dealing with a repressed tight rear end getting himself wasted.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Didn't go Waco because the feds actually acted responsibly and were, if anything, too hands off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, no, I know. I just mean if these guys are determined enough to do this poo poo and we can't manage to lock them up then aren't they just gonna do this poo poo again and isn't someone eventually going to pull a trigger?

Ugh. I liked being ignorant to this stuff and only worrying about east coast inner city problems.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

quote:

I'm all for letting people unwind but I don't want to be the guy stuck dealing with a repressed tight rear end getting himself wasted.

yeah it usually turns out that what's repressed underneath is vile enough that they have great difficulty imagining anything less than God holding it in check

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 06:37 on May 1, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, no, I know. I just mean if these guys are determined enough to do this poo poo and we can't manage to lock them up then aren't they just gonna do this poo poo again and isn't someone eventually going to pull a trigger?

Ugh. I liked being ignorant to this stuff and only worrying about east coast inner city problems.

Malheur came pretty close to being Waco, ending with the last few members surrounded by the cops and being talked into surrendering. If they weren't successfully convinced to surrender like they were, there's a good chance that it could have devolved into a gunfight and we'd have 5 dead instead of 1.

Likewise, there's probably a parallel universe where the death of LaVoy Finnicum inspired everyone else to hunker down and start shooting anyone who approached instead of panicking and fleeing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

hobbesmaster posted:

No joke drinking in the 19th century was really out of control. Saloon culture and widespread, cheap booze led to conditions not hugely dissimilar from any modern day drug epidemic, at times. Temperance advocates, and their prohibitionist cousins, were reacting to a genuine social ill, but went overboard in their response.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 14:02 on May 1, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

STAC Goat posted:

Legitimately I think one of my worst decisions in recent memory was getting sucked into that whole Bundy mess because prior to it I was almost entirely ignorant to the whole "sov citizen" thing and now I not only know way too much about it but I know that its apparently plentiful enough in parts of this country that you can't even get a proper trial for these guys.

How has this shitstorm not gone Waco? (That's not me calling for it, just genuine confusion as to how the unmovable object has not yet smashed against the irresistible force.)

USG has never been irresistible. Society only works because everyone agrees to play along. We're talking about Prohibition, that's a clear case of people not playing along leading to the USG backing off. Sovs just think they can pull the same thing with everyone else's land, and they might be right.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

nm posted:

Didn't go Waco because the feds actually acted responsibly and were, if anything, too hands off.
And with the current administration, and the general lack of ability to get convictions, I'm afraid that the next time actually will be like Waco. Hope I'm wrong on that point.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lol

Keep blazin tarp ghost

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Azathoth posted:

And with the current administration, and the general lack of ability to get convictions, I'm afraid that the next time actually will be like Waco. Hope I'm wrong on that point.

Admittedly, it would be more likely to end with the people involved actually being punished instead of being acquitted on a technicality by a sympathetic jury.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Bilirubin posted:

Lol

Keep blazin tarp ghost

:rznv:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

No joke drinking in the 19th century was really out of control. Saloon culture and widespread, cheap booze led to conditions not hugely dissimilar from any modern day drug epidemic, at times. Temperance advocates, and their prohibitionist cousins, were reacting to a genuine social ill, but went overboard in their response.

it is basically the height of black comedy to read letters passed between sheriffs in the actual wild west and the charges they handed down. public drunkenness charges tend to start off with "i realize a man's drinking is his own business, but--"

or Washington's general orders during the revolutionary war to reward the men for good performance in battle or on maneuvers amounts to a rum ration between 4-5 shots for a single night, and there's tons of soldier letters back home that basically read "the gently caress is this poo poo, how is this enough"

it really helped me understand why my parents and grandparents were generally so wary about drinking even a single beer; they'd seen god only knows how many family and friends completely flunk out on the whole moderation thing and go 8 drinks to the wind in an hour.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Coolguye posted:

it is basically the height of black comedy to read letters passed between sheriffs in the actual wild west and the charges they handed down. public drunkenness charges tend to start off with "i realize a man's drinking is his own business, but--"

or Washington's general orders during the revolutionary war to reward the men for good performance in battle or on maneuvers amounts to a rum ration between 4-5 shots for a single night, and there's tons of soldier letters back home that basically read "the gently caress is this poo poo, how is this enough"

it really helped me understand why my parents and grandparents were generally so wary about drinking even a single beer; they'd seen god only knows how many family and friends completely flunk out on the whole moderation thing and go 8 drinks to the wind in an hour.

Have you read "The Alcoholic Republic: An American Tradition" by W. J. Rorabaugh? It's a great read about booze in 19th century America, and includes a number of great anecdotes, like this one about how people skirted early temperance laws and local dry codes:

quote:

Each effort failed to achieve the universal abstinence that reformers sought. Again and again it was demonstrated that those who believed in abstinence could not succeed in imposing their own view of morality upon that portion of the population that did not share their vision. In 1838, when Massachusetts outlawed the retail sale of distilled spirits, Yankee ingenuity triumphed. An enterprising liquor dealer painted stripes on his pig and advertised that for 6¢ a person could see this decorated beast. The viewer also got a free glass of whiskey. Such ploys spurred a hurried repeal of the nation's first prohibition law.

"Yeah man, I'm in pretty bad shape. Looked at the pig five times last night."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Happy weed page

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I got so high saw Tarp Ghost.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Have you read "The Alcoholic Republic: An American Tradition" by W. J. Rorabaugh? It's a great read about booze in 19th century America, and includes a number of great anecdotes, like this one about how people skirted early temperance laws and local dry codes:

"Yeah man, I'm in pretty bad shape. Looked at the pig five times last night."

that owns, adding to reading list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Coolguye posted:

that owns, adding to reading list

Ken Burns's Prohibition series is free on Amazon Prime, and its a really, really good watch.