Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc1lxh_hermine-vs-lapin_animals

I think it fits well in the thread's narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
Why didn't you animate it? We are trying to run a professional thread here :colbert:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Or splice it into some Mass Effect butt shots.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

grimcreaper posted:

English isnt my mother tong either. I speak American which is English perfected. We dont add silly u's to things and we also spell Aluminum correctly.

I could care less

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Godmode Enabled posted:

Why didn't you animate it? We are trying to run a professional thread here :colbert:

I wish I knew how. :(

I am ashamed. I have brought shame upon all of us.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Theres a tv at my work that is open for phones to connect too... im half tempted to put that image on it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3xAeTmsJfg

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Guys, guys, guys, has the Citizen of the Stars gone tits up yet? How is this poo poo still here, in 2017, doing things that aren't releasing a loving video game about space and/or ships?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChambersArt/status/858952559402332160

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

OK so some background is necessary here. Chris Roberts is a man living in two times. In one time, it is the 1990's, and he is trying to turn PC gaming into a Hollywood movie. He has never left that time, and never given up on that white whale. Rather than realize that the gaming industry moved on without him, and in fact the "game as movie" days were in fact some of the worst games ever made, he instead thinks that with today's technology he can finally make it happen the way he pictured it back then in his damaged mind.

In the other time, it is the year 2014567 and he views himself as a cross between Steve Jobs and Elon Musk. The culture at CIG is now down to fear and survival. The experienced and confident developers - those who have worked on successful products and shipped titles - have left, due to recognizing that Chris is a complete and total sham. The people trying to make it day to day now have to basically trick a clueless leader into thinking that progress is being made on things that don't exist at all. The best way to make something real to someone stupid is to give it a name.

"Realistic Thruster Modeling" is one of the earliest lies in the project. By telling Chris "Yeah we're getting off LUA for the thruster modeling and moving to something else" they get him off their backs for a few more months, maybe even years, as the "ships" continue to NOCLIP through space with no physics whatsoever.

Switching from Flow Graph to whatever is the same kind of gambit. They had to name their non-existent AI "Subsumption" to make Chris think he invented something. There is no subsumption AI (spoiler alert) but if there was, it would obviously benefit from a super-secret sauce of proprietary doodads, so that's what Chris is told he's gonna get.

The networking aspect here is completely broken as well, so Chris gets more bullshit spat at him in the form of "meshes" and "network 2.0". This is going on constantly. Everyone's job at CIG is to give Chris the impression that he's a visionary inventing things, a movie director and master storyteller, and a brilliant game designer. That's the entire function of every last member of the staff here. There is no game, there are no plans - everything all day every day is a mad rush to put a new coat of paint on yesterday's failures, and come up with a new word or new concept that will be credited with being able to overcome "blockers" (such as nothing working) and accelerate the pace of development.

That's why all these buzzwords are accompanied by phrases such as "implementation time to achieve a desired effect has been cut dramatically" and "This is a huge step forward on the code side." Boots on the ground at CIG aren't trying to fool the public - they're trying to keep their jobs by continually fooling Chris. Sure, Chris: you're single-handedly creating the AI singularity while simultaneously eclipsing Moore's Law and also recreating an entire industry from the ground up through the sheer force of your extra chromosome. Here's some Subsumption, some Netcode 2.0, and a side-order of Fidelity.

Good post from 50 pages ago :pgabz:

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
So, I am just back from the Bahamas'.
Never thought it would pop up here.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Takes quite the man to pull off a sweater like that...

... too bad Salty does not.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

"But Brian, why do you insist on wearing your sunglasses?"

"Dammit woman, just take the picture..my fans think I'm a cool German dude, and cool dudes always wear shades right?"

"Sure Brian, sure..."

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

yes

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Oh jesus I just looked at the comments. The cultists are out in force just like the good old days :munch:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Our lord and saviour is there too. This is a good day

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

his nibs posted:

"But Brian, why do you insist on wearing your sunglasses?"

"Dammit woman, just take the picture..my fans think I'm a cool German dude, and cool dudes always wear shades right?"

"Sure Brian, sure..."

<click>

"Brian, I hate to insist, but you must shampoo your hair today. The oils are ruining our pillowcases!"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i like all the big long parable moral lesson posts. my favourite one is the one where the stimperor orders torture with the worst kind of electricity.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm the framed "Shadow" tag signed by Shadow.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A graphical representation of the PCInvasion comments section:

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Is that Ajt one of us? Because they're tilting at windmills in that comments section and it's making me sad. :(

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I know it's easy to feel bad for the homeless, but don't give him money. If you really want to help, buy him a sandwich and a cup of coffee.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Man, Even 123RF are taking pops at CIG. Guess that's what happens when your "artists" keep stealing stock photos...

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Star Citizen cultists don't get that even in the unlikely case that Chris is not bleeding them dry, the project at this point needs heavy criticism for its poor state, false and failed promises, lousy updates (including Chris' parps that totally don't ask for more money, but conclude that if you want the best game ever you should give them more money), and terrible marketing.

They strongly believe that giving CIG the carte blanche, they are eventually getting the game that they were promised, in an amazing state. Just like it happened in the following cases: .

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

I know it's easy to feel bad for the homeless, but don't give him money. If you really want to help, buy him a sandwich and a cup of coffee.

Or a crepe and pipe.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

theagents leaks were accurate, derek smart was right t-shirts on sale now, $4.99 with $39.99 S&H

:five::five:
:lol::lol::lol:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

That's normal. Nothing to see here.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Sunswipe posted:

i gave a homeless guy a couple of joints worth. he was very happy with that. I would of stabbed him if he tried to take my kebab.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Has anything good ever come from someone being given a project with no limitations? Doesn't great art come about in part as a reaction to limitations? Even in nerd terms, there's plenty of examples of this. Silent Hill's sense of fear came from the dark, foggy atmosphere forced on the developers by the original Playstation's limited power. Metal Gear was a stealth game because the MSX couldn't have many projectiles on screen at any one time. For the ultimate nerd example: George Lucas. Working with restrictions, he gives us the original Star Wars trilogy. Give him unlimited money and no one in a position to say "No" to him and he gives us The Phantom Menace.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
A new Star Citizen backer via a referral code, shares his comment on Reddit. They didn't approve it. Read more

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Sunswipe posted:

Has anything good ever come from someone being given a project with no limitations? Doesn't great art come about in part as a reaction to limitations? Even in nerd terms, there's plenty of examples of this. Silent Hill's sense of fear came from the dark, foggy atmosphere forced on the developers by the original Playstation's limited power. Metal Gear was a stealth game because the MSX couldn't have many projectiles on screen at any one time. For the ultimate nerd example: George Lucas. Working with restrictions, he gives us the original Star Wars trilogy. Give him unlimited money and no one in a position to say "No" to him and he gives us The Phantom Menace.

I would never finish anything if there werent deadlines and milestones, self appointed or otherwise. It's bizarre to think there is an entire cult who think 300 odd people will somehow gel together and make a good product with zero direction, incentive or motivation to do so.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Sunswipe posted:

Reminds me of Lesson 18 in this incredible game design video. Restrictions breed creativity: limitations force us to explore paths we normally wouldn't have considered.

Probably doesn't know poo poo about game development tho.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 1, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Sunswipe posted:

I remember Gran Turismo 5. The studio had successfully made world class games for every previous release, so they were essentially given free reign when making 5. Not too much about the behind scenes happenings has ever come out, except that eventually Sony, or somebody, stepped in and told them the game has to come out in 6 months, period.

It was clear from the end result that all these different directions the development team was going with features had somebody come in and start whipping them to stitch it together and get it out. Gran Turismo 5 wasn't bad, but it was clearly a convoluted patch work of ideas.

The individual races were fantastic, though.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Baxta posted:

I would never finish anything if there werent deadlines and milestones, self appointed or otherwise. It's bizarre to think there is an entire cult who think 300 odd people will somehow gel together and make a good product with zero direction, incentive or motivation to do so.

No poo poo. Without structure, or a plan, the whole thing descends into chaos. Even simple scheduling becomes difficult when you can't fix the position of another moving part, or even another person.

I blame this new thinking on Valve, TBH. The revelation that a multi-billion dollar company has a flat structure and somehow works made a whole loving bunch of dumbasses think that somehow it's a phenomenon borne out by the structure rather than building a fairly tight team of adults.

Well, that and the uncritical poo poo that Ted puts online sometimes.

XK posted:

I remember Gran Turismo 5. The studio had successfully made world class games for every previous release, so they were essentially given free reign when making 5. Not too much about the behind scenes happenings has ever come out, except that eventually Sony, or somebody, stepped in and told them the game has to come out in 6 months, period.

IL-2: Cliffs of Dover. Ambitious project that started heading into serious detail-spirals and produced something that was entirely broken on release with terrible goddamned performance. Team Fusion stepped in and produced a mod that made it largely playable, which has now been made official.

The follow-up, 'Battle of Stalingrad' was produced by 777, but also suffered from a huge level of detail that couldn't be sustained in the funding model, so _that_ was abandoned in favor of 'Battle of Moscow', which was in turn then dumped for 'Battle of Kuban'.

I'm not doing the full story justice, but CloD was notoriously for the developers counting rivets.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 1, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Also, the original Ren & Stimpy was fantastic, partially because of creativity through adversity. Nickelodeon prevented John K from doing so many things, and he just had to deal with that and work around.

When Spike network tried to resurrect the show in the 2000s, they gave John K free reign to do whatever he wanted, and it ended up just really weird and off putting. I'm not even sure it made it all the way through its first season.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Why is Star Citizen so Important to me

Words fail me. Also, no way he's serious.

quote:

Since then I watched ATVs , Gamescom releases all the trailers, I cried as I watched from pupil to planet ( i litterally cried because I started to imagine all the possibilities )

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Colostomy Bag posted:

No, I can see how my post might have be misleading. Looking for a dough recipe that I can ferment in the fridge.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok. If you have a scale (or at least dry measures) , this recipe has served me well:

Step 1:

About 15oz bread flour
1/3 oz salt

Combine and mix thoroughly.

Step 2:

Next, take about 9.5 oz of water (65* f) and around 1.5 grams of cake yeast.

In a new bowl, mix the yeast and water.

Step 3:

Add the yeast into flour mixture (making a well in the middle).Mix it roughly (it will look like a mess).
Once mixed, you need to use a stand mixer (or closest thing you have to one) and mix on medium for around 7-8 mins.
You'll know it's ready when it pulls cleanly away from the sides of the bowl.

Step 4:

To shape the dough, flour dust your working surface. Form it into a ball, place in bowl, and cover with clear wrap. You'll let it sit at room temp (around 65* is best) for about 5-8 hours (depending on environment).

Step 5:

After it has fermented, divide the dough into 8oz portions (use scale) and form into balls. Coat your hands with olive oil. When you shape the dough, it helps it to retain moisture.
Transfer the dough to the fridge (uncovered) for around 30 mins. Then, cover and let sit overnight.

When you're ready to use it, just let it rest for around 20 mins at room temperature before you shape and stretch it.

Did this recipe do well for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Berious posted:

Our lord and saviour is there too. This is a good day

Kayak?