Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ahh Storm King. Most people seem to enjoy that adventure. There is like 6 or so Hill Giants in that encounter right.

The Rogue and I (a Bard) went invisible and snuck through the caves while everyone else attacked as a distraction. We avoided everything and ended up in the kitchen. The other players came up with a plan to barter with her, and I swung out of the kitchen to help. One Charm Person later, and she was immensely happy that I, the meat delivery guy, had a giant cart of food on the way, and appreciated it when I told her the other people were offering her a great deal.

The first time we went there we killed a Hill Giant, they killed two or three more this time, and she sent two others away from negotiations to check on stuff I mentioned. Then she tried to eat a PC and things broke down. We're level eight so nothing to sneeze at with full power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sleepy.eyes posted:

I'd just like some more damage spells, AoEs in particular. I could see some Conjuation and quiet a few Divination spells being reasonable as necromancy.

My main gripe is the lack of options for created undead, which I can just ignore as DM.

Create Undead and Animate Dead both work pretty well. Create Undead allows you to create wights which can create more zombies. If the baddie has the support of Orcus they can get more Orcus exclusive undead like Bodaks and Devourers.

The EE Companion has Horrid Wilting which does AoE damage and does not harm undead. Circle of Death is also a good AoE.

Kaysette posted:

Same. I've only played one campaign through there 2ish years ago but the voice chat was garbage. We all ended up on Skype.

Same but with Discord.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Rogue and I (a Bard) went invisible and snuck through the caves while everyone else attacked as a distraction. We avoided everything and ended up in the kitchen. The other players came up with a plan to barter with her, and I swung out of the kitchen to help. One Charm Person later, and she was immensely happy that I, the meat delivery guy, had a giant cart of food on the way, and appreciated it when I told her the other people were offering her a great deal.

The first time we went there we killed a Hill Giant, they killed two or three more this time, and she sent two others away from negotiations to check on stuff I mentioned. Then she tried to eat a PC and things broke down. We're level eight so nothing to sneeze at with full power.

Level 8 is good but there are a lot of Hill Giants there so it's always going to be pretty dangerous. Congrats on getting the macguffin and winning there.

That Hill Giant Chief actully has her own mini.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 1, 2017

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
There is a subreddit called Unearthed Arcana that is just home brew stuff. It's not the best but overly tuned stuff gets shut down pretty quickly. I'd recommend to sort by top posts and just go down the line.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Can we not get this place locked a third time in as many months

I'm a little late, but Nehru is correct. Further talk about this should go in the Industry thread.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Can anyone recommend any good 5e podcasts? I've listened to a bit of total party thrill at the recommendation of someone in the gm advice thread, though would be interested in anything else people would recommend.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Wurzag posted:

Can anyone recommend any good 5e podcasts? I've listened to a bit of total party thrill at the recommendation of someone in the gm advice thread, though would be interested in anything else people would recommend.

Podcasts about how to run 5e? Podcasts where people play 5e (and is a very loose interpretation of the ruleset ok)?

I don't listen to any myself, but getting a little more specific would probably be helpful.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The Adventure Zone nominally uses 5e.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The only one I've ever really listened to was RPPR's one-off, the Dissidents of Darland

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My dm is giving everyone in our campaign a free race feat. Should my wood elf monk get Wood elf magic or elven accuracy?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't have a DMG; what are the optional rules for Marking? And is Paladin worth two levels as a dip for Fighter, or would one level for a Fighting Style be enough? Wanting to get Defense and Protection and see how far into a 4E style Defender you can get. 3 levels of Paladin doesn't seem like it gets enough to be worth it; Oath of the Ancients would get me a once per short rest restrain but only if they fail their check.

Level 8 currently, so Fighter 6/Paladin 2 maybe. And Warforged, get that 22 AC.

Edit: Paladin doesn't get a Style until level two, not one.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 1, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't have a DMG; what are the optional rules for Marking? And is Paladin worth two levels as a dip for Fighter, or would one level for a Fighting Style be enough? Wanting to get Defense and Protection and see how far into a 4E style Defender you can get. 3 levels of Paladin doesn't seem like it gets enough to be worth it; Oath of the Ancients would get me a once per short rest restrain but only if they fail their check.

When a creature (any creature, not just characters, not just "defenders") makes a melee attack, it can also choose the Mark the target being attacked.

The Mark lasts until the end of the attacker's next turn.

Whenever the Marker makes an Opportunity Attack against their Marked target, the attack has Advantage, and the OA does not consume the Marker's Reaction. This Advantaged, non-Reaction-consuming OA can only be used once per turn.

(so basically it gives you one extra OA, with Advantage, against whoever it was you attacked and subsequently Marked. If that creature triggers a second OA from you again, you can OA a second time, but it will use your Reaction by then and won't have advantage)

You may also want to look at this new Fighting Style from the Underdark Unearthed Arcana:

And this ability from the Knight archetype from the new Fighter archetypes Unearthed Arcana:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

mastershakeman posted:

this is the first time I've ever seen piracy justified morally and it's pretty amazing. well done thread

in other news my antiquated dm has gone from no roll20 ever to 100% on board with roll20 in the span of a month. it's a pretty impressive system when one guy is willing to script a ton of custom things into it, although we can't get our audio/video to work well so have to have a hangouts call going separately

Roll 20's support for 5e is fantastic. Found a +2 ax of mudering? Just search for axe in the included compendium drag it onto your character sheet and it'll add the weapon, the weight, etc.

I tried playing pathfinder on roll20 and it's a lot worse unfortunatly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Roll 20's support for 5e is fantastic. Found a +2 ax of mudering? Just search for axe in the included compendium drag it onto your character sheet and it'll add the weapon, the weight, etc.

I tried playing pathfinder on roll20 and it's a lot worse unfortunatly.

It's a lot easier to build that kind of support when the game itself has no noteworthy support to speak of.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Wurzag posted:

Hey I think it was me that recommending TPK to you. If you're looking for an actual play podcast I'll give a shout out to Sneak Attack. They're definitely small time with a small following but I feel that they most accurately reproduce the feel of sitting at a table with friends. It's not polished, but on the other hand it's not over-produced. The players are goofy--but the characters are sincere which makes for an excellent balance. The DM is a bit of a stickler but I respect his willingness to let the characters go off the rails. There are genuine moments where it is clear he has no idea what they are going to do next and he adapts well.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Klungar posted:

The Adventure Zone nominally uses 5e.

TAZ is pretty funny and they do a Mad Max / Fast and the Furious adventure that owns.

It's by the McElroy brothers of MBMBAM and Monster Factory "fame."

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone here tried arcana cleric as a gish? I just got one to 3 and I've had a good time though it feels like it starts kinda weak and probably becomes awesome at 5 and 8 when you start adding Spirit Guardians and empowered cantrips to the mix. (I'm using Magic Initiate for Shillelagh and the arcana domain cantrips are the two big SCAG ones.)

It seems like unless you plan on hitting 17, Nature domain would probably be better with Shillelagh from domain and wizard cantrips from Magic Initiate. Your spell modifier damage on them will suck but you can tack on an extra d8 with your level 8 feature and pick up Shield through Magic Initiate for a once-a-day panic button, where the best Arcana could get is probably Absorb Elements. But I'll be god damned if I'm going to play a tree-hugging pseudo-druid for an extra edge.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Edit: Paladin doesn't get a Style until level two, not one.

Paladin is a pretty good class in general. But I don't know if it would make the best multiclass for fighter.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Haha, was just looking through the episodes list for these and

quote:

The gang of heroes first meets in the country of Norwich

is alot funnier to me than it should be

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They have revised some of the UA sub classes based on feedback. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/revised-subclasses

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Griffin plugged Friends at the Table on TAZ. Has anyone listened to that? Is it any good? I kind of don't want to get stuck in to a super-long series if it's not great, but on the other hand I never would have given TAZ a shot if someone hadn't told me it gets great later on.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

gradenko_2000 posted:

When a creature (any creature, not just characters, not just "defenders") makes a melee attack, it can also choose the Mark the target being attacked.

The Mark lasts until the end of the attacker's next turn.

Whenever the Marker makes an Opportunity Attack against their Marked target, the attack has Advantage, and the OA does not consume the Marker's Reaction. This Advantaged, non-Reaction-consuming OA can only be used once per turn.

(so basically it gives you one extra OA, with Advantage, against whoever it was you attacked and subsequently Marked. If that creature triggers a second OA from you again, you can OA a second time, but it will use your Reaction by then and won't have advantage)

You may also want to look at this new Fighting Style from the Underdark Unearthed Arcana:

And this ability from the Knight archetype from the new Fighter archetypes Unearthed Arcana:

That "implacable mark" is pretty much exactly marking from 4e, except it has a "you can do this three times a day" limit stuck on it for some reason. Oh, and it reeks of 3e's "rogues can't sneak attack undead, enjoy your adventure in the crypt, rogue!" poo poo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gort posted:

3e's "rogues can't sneak attack undead, enjoy your adventure in the crypt, rogue!" poo poo.

Glad they got rid of that.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

So my character acquired a 13-card Deck of Many Things.

I looked up the options and my odds don't look too bad.

Should I risk it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Reene posted:

Should I risk it?

When a GM offers you a Deck of Many Things, you say yes!

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Reene posted:

Should I risk it?

Always use one.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Petr posted:

Griffin plugged Friends at the Table on TAZ. Has anyone listened to that? Is it any good? I kind of don't want to get stuck in to a super-long series if it's not great, but on the other hand I never would have given TAZ a shot if someone hadn't told me it gets great later on.

It's good, but it's not 5e, switching between a bunch of systems, but mainly Powered By the Apocalypse stuff. It's also very different tonally to the Adventure Zone. It's a lot more serious(sometimes veering on navel gazing), and a lot less funny. I think Austin Walker is also significantly better at improvising than his players are, and they often lose the thread of the conversation in a way that doesn't really happen on TAZ. I would definitely recommend it though. I'd say probably start on the Marielda campaign, it's relatively short and I think it showcases the gang at their best.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Reene posted:

Should I risk it?

The only way to play the Deck of Many Things is to make a pact with the whole party, everyone draws a card, and you turn them over only after you've all drawn IMO. Just straight up magical Russian Roulette.

Also yeah never not draw cards until it's empty.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Reene posted:

Should I risk it?

As a rule, IMHO, when the question is "should I use a Deck of Many Things," the answer is always no if you're a DM but yes if you're a player.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

See the rest of my party is trembling in terror of this horrible thing my character stole from a pack of devils and I can't figure out why. He said it's RAW with no extra surprises and based on that the odds honestly are not bad at all. Only two or three of the options are potentially character-ending, and while that would suck, the rest of the bad effects are manageable and interesting and frankly have already happened to our party anyway while the good effects are fuckin amazing.

...I'm pretty sure the DM gave it to me in particular because I am the only one both in and out of character with the disposition and hubris to say gently caress it and give it a shot, my character being a grifter/con-artist that thinks she's smarter than everyone else.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

That Kobold Press supplement, Beyond Damage Dice was being discussed here the other day. I bought it and used it in a session yesterday. It was an unmitigated success and made combat a lot more fun for my players, so I think I can recommend it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

As someone who pulled banishment in 2nd edition with a character I'd had for five years, always pull from a Deck of Many Things.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Reene posted:

See the rest of my party is trembling in terror of this horrible thing my character stole from a pack of devils and I can't figure out why. He said it's RAW with no extra surprises and based on that the odds honestly are not bad at all. Only two or three of the options are potentially character-ending, and while that would suck, the rest of the bad effects are manageable and interesting and frankly have already happened to our party anyway while the good effects are fuckin amazing.

...I'm pretty sure the DM gave it to me in particular because I am the only one both in and out of character with the disposition and hubris to say gently caress it and give it a shot, my character being a grifter/con-artist that thinks she's smarter than everyone else.

The Deck's had a reputation as a nightmarish item for a long time, but that's mostly because of how difficult it can be for the DM to manage its effects on a campaign. The other players are probably just reacting to its general "this poo poo is insane" rep.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Deck of many things? The DM put it there to be used. Use it and drat the consequences. Draw two cards at once. gently caress it, draw four. Nail the ensign to the mast, arm every torpedo on the boat, and accellerate to ramming speed.

No sarcasm. Even if you ruin everything, there'll still be another (maybe different) game next week and you'll have a great story.

e: Seriously, no sarcasm. I would assume that a DM who's put that in the game is prepared for what happens when you use it, so you should use it hard,

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 2, 2017

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

MonsterEnvy posted:

They have revised some of the UA sub classes based on feedback. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/revised-subclasses

The "Divine Magic" feature for the Favored Soul seems pretty good. You can play a CHA-based full healer class that isn't a Bard; if you want some heavier armor, you can always start as a Paladin for some good synergy.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
They unfucked Kensei too, by making kensei weapons count as monk weapons. Can still get your bonus attacks and use your martial arts die now while still swinging with Dex to hit.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Deck of many things? The DM put it there to be used. Use it and drat the consequences. Draw two cards at once. gently caress it, draw four. Nail the ensign to the mast, arm every torpedo on the boat, and accellerate to ramming speed.

No sarcasm. Even if you ruin everything, there'll still be another (maybe different) game next week and you'll have a great story.

e: Seriously, no sarcasm. I would assume that a DM who's put that in the game is prepared for what happens when you use it, so you should use it hard,

He'd definitely roll with whatever happened, sure. Our campaign has been going on for about a year now though and I am the only one whose character has never died, so I am somewhat attached. If my toon did get put out of commission I could literally just roll up a new one but wehh I don't wanna.

Re: Favored Soul chat, it is stupid good and I would call it overpowered if Sorcerer as a whole was not such a pissweak class in comparison to stuff like Bard and Wizard. I kind of liked the original options better though.

Reene fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 2, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tir McDohl posted:

That Kobold Press supplement, Beyond Damage Dice was being discussed here the other day. I bought it and used it in a session yesterday. It was an unmitigated success and made combat a lot more fun for my players, so I think I can recommend it.

I'm intrigued. Can you give an example of what the book lets you do?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Reene posted:

He'd definitely roll with whatever happened, sure. Our campaign has been going on for about a year now though and I am the only one whose character has never died, so I am somewhat attached. If my toon did get put out of commission I could literally just roll up a new one but wehh I don't wanna.

Re: Favored Soul chat, it is stupid good and I would call it overpowered if Sorcerer as a whole was not such a pissweak class in comparison to stuff like Bard and Wizard. I kind of liked the original options better though.

Hold on to it, wait for him to forget it exists, and pull it out at the most inconvenient, finely-plotted point in an adventure six months from now.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm intrigued. Can you give an example of what the book lets you do?

It gives every weapon type 2-3 skills you can use in combat instead of your normal weapon swing. For instance, bows have a move called Trick Shot where you have to roll two dice for your attack roll, and if you hit with both you get a crit but otherwise miss. Greatswords have a move where you can swing at two adjacent enemies within range to hit them both but the damage dice are reduced to D6. There are a few defense moves too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Tir McDohl posted:

It gives every weapon type 2-3 skills you can use in combat instead of your normal weapon swing. For instance, bows have a move called Trick Shot where you have to roll two dice for your attack roll, and if you hit with both you get a crit but otherwise miss. Greatswords have a move where you can swing at two adjacent enemies within range to hit them both but the damage dice are reduced to D6. There are a few defense moves too.

Hows the balance? That bow move sounds like it could get OP quickly.