Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Handmaid's Tale has like 8 more episodes coming in May through June to crush your soul more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah I'm definitely looking forward to my good mood being ground to dust every week, but I'll need something to fill the time between new episodes.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

tweet my meat posted:

I'm making my rounds through the Hulu catalog to find the gems. I just finished up Legion and The Handmaid's Tale, now I'm starting on Fargo. Are there any other shows of comparable quality up on Hulu that aren't on other services?

Seinfeld and Naruto, and Brooklyn 99

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Man I need more Into The Badlands, anything else close to it on Prime or Netflix?

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 1, 2017

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Mo_Steel posted:

Man I need more Into The Badlands, anything else close to it on Prime or Netflix?

Cool, stylized, hyper-violent action shows? Definitely Banshee.

Just finished I'm not a Serial Killer. Pretty good movie, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Enough so that I just bought the book its based on.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's that Timothy McVeigh documentary and one about Ruby Ridge on Netflix. I wonder what's prompting PBS to post their documentaries about white supremecists?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

tweet my meat posted:

I'm making my rounds through the Hulu catalog to find the gems. I just finished up Legion and The Handmaid's Tale, now I'm starting on Fargo. Are there any other shows of comparable quality up on Hulu that aren't on other services?

Some places I hear have Channel 4's Utopia like UK's netflix
And its my favorite show ever friggin made.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's that Timothy McVeigh documentary and one about Ruby Ridge on Netflix. I wonder what's prompting PBS to post their documentaries about white supremecists?

The Tim McVeigh one is really good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. The section about Waco was better than the documentary entirely about Waco I saw a few months ago.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

tweet my meat posted:

People were talking about Preacher earlier but I gather that's a bit more pulpy.

There's Deutschland 83 which is a pretty cool German show about an East German spy. It doesn't quite stick the landing (it's hard to convincingly make major geopolitical events all revolve around the same character) but it's still very, very good.

I'll also plug Miami Vice. First off, it's not as big of a commitment as you think - it's really only the first season that's required watching. S2 has good episodes too, but noticeably more filler (this was back in the days of 26 episode season). I only bothered watching the first two episodes of S3 but there was enough of a drop in quality that I decided to leave it on a high note. Michael Mann's style is very evident and the show defined a large part of the 80s aesthetic. At its best, it's an incredibly stylish crime drama with a cynical perspective of the futility in trying to stop drugs through law enforcement. There are also tons of cameos from people you will recognize.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

david_a posted:

People were talking about Preacher earlier but I gather that's a bit more pulpy.

There's Deutschland 83 which is a pretty cool German show about an East German spy. It doesn't quite stick the landing (it's hard to convincingly make major geopolitical events all revolve around the same character) but it's still very, very good.

I'll also plug Miami Vice. First off, it's not as big of a commitment as you think - it's really only the first season that's required watching. S2 has good episodes too, but noticeably more filler (this was back in the days of 26 episode season). I only bothered watching the first two episodes of S3 but there was enough of a drop in quality that I decided to leave it on a high note. Michael Mann's style is very evident and the show defined a large part of the 80s aesthetic. At its best, it's an incredibly stylish crime drama with a cynical perspective of the futility in trying to stop drugs through law enforcement. There are also tons of cameos from people you will recognize.

Like Frank Zappa

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Noah Hawley really is one of the best names around when it comes to tv right now. Legion and Fargo are both incredible. Fargo is up there with Breaking Bad and The Wire in my opinion.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Just watched Bottom of the World today, can't recommend it.

It's kinda like a worse version of Nocturnal Animals where it turns out the main character and everything going on is just being imagined by an overdramatic pathological liar. It's the kind of plot twist that only makes sense if the character behind it is basically putting on a show for the movie audience for no reason.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

drunken officeparty posted:

I finished (re)watching Kimmy Schmidt after finishing 30 Rock. I need something to watch now. I'm considering Parks and Rec but I watched that as it aired until I gradually gave up and stopped around like season 4 or 5.

If you haven't seen Party Down you should remedy that immediately. I think it's on Hulu. Best show that no one knows about. And even though I liked Parks and Rec, I still kind of resent it for stealing away Adam Scott and any chance of a 3rd season.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
So Scrubs is leaving Netflix tomorrow, and I just finished Season 4. Is it streaming anywhere else, or does it take a dive in quality from this point on?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Scrubs sucks

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

Scrubs sucks

Yeah, if you watched Season 1 & 2, you've watched all of Scrubs.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Alright, time to move onto The Wire or something else!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

rngd in the womb posted:

Alright, time to move onto The Wire or something else!

If you have Amazon, I would definitely dig into their HBO content. Since you were asking about comedy, I would highly recommend Eastbound and Down.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

rngd in the womb posted:

So Scrubs is leaving Netflix tomorrow, and I just finished Season 4. Is it streaming anywhere else, or does it take a dive in quality from this point on?

Season 5 has two excellent episodes, "My Lunch" and "My Fallen Idol," which are essential. Season 6 has "My Musical," composed by the people who did Avenue Q.

Season 7 is one of the most offensively awful seasons of television ever produced, up there with the last two or three seasons of How I Met Your Mother.

Season 8 is pitch-perfect from start to finish, though, and the finale ... bring some tissues.

GonSmithe posted:

Scrubs sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9EhvDAMjWc

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you have Amazon, I would definitely dig into their HBO content. Since you were asking about comedy, I would highly recommend Eastbound and Down.

Workaholics is on there, but not the last season, just with regular Prime. I liked it and hope they put the last season on at some point.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Definitely dig into HBO stuff on Amazon because all of it is being removed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

Definitely dig into HBO stuff on Amazon because all of it is being removed.

That was a mistake on Vulture's part.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Thanks for recommending The Handmaid's Tale, never would have caught it on Hulu otherwise.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

For anyone with HBO GO, Becoming Warren Buffett was terrific.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Ah, well that's good.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm watching Fortitude, Season 2 on Amazon. I really liked the first season, and this one follows it pretty nicely.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I was really impressed by Lavender on Netflix. It's listed as a dramatic thriller but I'd call it pretty much a horror movie. It's about a woman who starts regaining deep-seated memories about a traumatic childhood incident after being injured in a car wreck.

It uses its fair share of cliches (perhaps most notably, a mysterious child giggling and running away while the main character tries to chase them), but ultimately I felt like it ramped up the tension very smoothly and didn't rely on any cheap scares at all. The girl who plays the daughter is also surprisingly great at portraying a child raised by a mother with some serious issues.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

American Gods is a really fun watch so far. Is it based on the Gaiman novel? I read that a couple years ago but haven't remembered any of it so far

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

A MIRACLE posted:

American Gods is a really fun watch so far. Is it based on the Gaiman novel? I read that a couple years ago but haven't remembered any of it so far

Based on, yes. It's playing with the chronology a bit -- there's a scene in the pilot that's from like 3/4s of the way through the book -- but it's also not directly related to anything else, so it was an easy one to move around. (And of course Fuller wasn't about to shy away from man-eating vagina.)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Okay I remember that part now. Wow what the gently caress did I just watch hahaha

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Based on, yes. It's playing with the chronology a bit -- there's a scene in the pilot that's from like 3/4s of the way through the book -- but it's also not directly related to anything else, so it was an easy one to move around. (And of course Fuller wasn't about to shy away from man-eating vagina.)

That scene is definitely early in the book, I've only read about half of it and I remember it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Yeah, I wasn't too hot on the novel, but the series is really promising so far. Ian McShane is having a loving ball in his role as Wednesday. :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GonSmithe posted:

That scene is definitely early in the book, I've only read about half of it and I remember it.

Yeah it's one of the very first "Coming to America" vignettes. And honestly, the way it looked in the show was nowhere remotely near as horrifying as the book description.

edit: Don't let the stellar voice cast fool you into watching Nerdland on Netflix. It's really bad.

precision fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 2, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Gone With The Wind and The Wizard Of Oz are on Prime. Is that the first time Warner has licensed those two out to a streaming service?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
How long has I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore on Netflix and how long had I been blowing it off? Because holy poo poo that was an excellent movie for the sort of 'absurd comedy but played kind of straight' thing that it was.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

How long has I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore on Netflix and how long had I been blowing it off? Because holy poo poo that was an excellent movie for the sort of 'absurd comedy but played kind of straight' thing that it was.

About a month I think.

Reviews have been mixed but I've been meaning to check it out.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

DeathSandwich posted:

I feel that it was overall "good", but not great. Definitely recommend a watch for anyone in the fence. However I felt like it was trying a bit too hard, and the last third of the movie, and the resolution, was ultimately weak compared to the setup.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I loved it. Was kind of surprised at the mixed goon reception actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DeathSandwich posted:

I liked it. A lot of goons came in hard on it so it never got much chatter except by people saying how bad it is.