Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

SwissCM posted:

He's more fortunate?

Poor people are morally less? Do you think poor people don't know the difference between good and bad, and rich people should be held to a higher standard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Remember when the worst part of the thread was vive vs rift? At least that was on topic.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm not sure if you know this, but there is a Syrian VR thingy. You can go there and watch what some people consider morally worse humans struggle.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 1, 2017

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Even more on topic though, I want to know how Palmer Luckey himself is a White Supremacist, tia. Not people he know's. Not people he associates with. Him, himself.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So in non-racist VR news Vivecraft's latest update added Forge mod support for 1.11.2 and 1.10.2 versions of Minecraft so if your server moved on from 1.7 (like the ones my friends and I run) you can VR mine in multiplayer!

iceaim
May 20, 2001

As much as I disagree with the business practices of Oculus, I don't think Palmer is a white supremacist. He's probably a Libertarian or right leaning politically for tax reasons more than anything and Trump wants to cut corporate taxes down to 15%.

Also the US doesn't have "unchecked immigration" like many Trumpkins claim. Actually it's a very expensive and costly process to legally immigrate to the USA.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 1, 2017

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Can I at least say that Donald Trump is a white supremacist?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I want a VR simulation of a place where VR people care about the quality of VR instead of the lovely things they do apparently care about.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Only if you want to state facts that act as a honey pot for nutjobs

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

SwissCM posted:

It's America. You can say what ever you want, even when it's wrong :)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You can even become president.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
We all love Vr because we all know how hosed up eveyrthing is, that is what will hold us together. We might disagree on the causes and solutions, but we know....it's all broken. :)

8one6
May 20, 2012

Fooz posted:

I want a VR simulation of a place where VR people care about the quality of VR instead of the lovely things they do apparently care about.

What sucks is the games that are easiest to make in VR (shooting galleries/wave shooters and Escape the Room games) are my least favorite games. Now that VR's been a thing for a year we're starting to see a wider variety of games.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

8one6 posted:

What sucks is the games that are easiest to make in VR (shooting galleries/wave shooters and Escape the Room games) are my least favorite games. Now that VR's been a thing for a year we're starting to see a wider variety of games.

I'm surprised no one has nicked the interaction verbs from The Gallery. It did so much right for a launch title, particularly the hand interactions and inventory management.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
One of my favorite launch games is still The Assembly. Playing Wilsons Heart reminded me I need to finish the assembly. Then it blows my mind that we are only a year into consumer vr.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 1, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

SwissCM posted:

I'm surprised no one has nicked the interaction verbs from The Gallery. It did so much right for a launch title, particularly the hand interactions and inventory management.

The Gallery was a fantastic launch title and Starseed 2: Gallery Harder is something I'm legitimately eager to play.
I need to go through my "Why did you spend so much on VR?" spreadsheet and post a writeup of my recommendations somewhere.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'm not sure I'm ready to accept any locomotion solution overall yet. Stick/pad locomotion has a lot of advocates who whine about every single game without it, but even ignoring nausea it's not really any more 'immersive' to me. It just makes me feel like a wierd slidey man instead of a wired teleport man, things are strange when moving around nearby objects and i end up barely moving at all.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's two I like:

Climbeyesque, where you hold down buttons and move your arms, causing a proportional amount of forward momentum in the direction your head or arms are facing. This works surprisingly well, but doesn't seem to be for everyone.
Serious Sam Style, standard pointer teleportation when pressing trackpad down, but directional taps zap you around quickly in set increments. It's not perfect but it's the quickest locomotion method that doesn't make me motion sick.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Unfortunatly the Climby developer is a Nazi and his entire method of locomotion is training you to Seig Heil

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Oops you better be careful and not make light of the word nazi

8one6
May 20, 2012

Fooz posted:

I'm not sure I'm ready to accept any locomotion solution overall yet. Stick/pad locomotion has a lot of advocates who whine about every single game without it, but even ignoring nausea it's not really any more 'immersive' to me. It just makes me feel like a wierd slidey man instead of a wired teleport man, things are strange when moving around nearby objects and i end up barely moving at all.

I don't hate teleportation but I find myself preferring pad locomotion for most games if it's an option mostly because it feels like what I'm used to with non-vr games. You're right that (for me at least) one doesn't feel any more immersive than the other.

SwissCM posted:

There's two I like:

Climbeyesque, where you hold down buttons and move your arms, causing a proportional amount of forward momentum in the direction your head or arms are facing. This works surprisingly well, but doesn't seem to be for everyone.
Serious Sam Style, standard pointer teleportation when pressing trackpad down, but directional taps zap you around quickly in set increments. It's not perfect but it's the quickest locomotion method that doesn't make me motion sick.

The only one I haven't been able to get a handle on yet is the Climbey-style, but to be fair all I've played with that is the demo and I couldn't quite get the timing right on running jumps. I'm sure with more practice I'd get used to it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

8one6 posted:

The only one I haven't been able to get a handle on yet is the Climbey-style, but to be fair all I've played with that is the demo and I couldn't quite get the timing right on running jumps. I'm sure with more practice I'd get used to it.

It's sort of like power jogging, you don't actually have to move your arms that much. Jumps are a bit less intuitive, but technically when you jump you "grab" a fixed point in space and fling yourself from it, meaning that to get the best jumps you have to push outward a bit with your arms before you fling yourself in order to gain more momentum before you release.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 1, 2017

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Roomscale one-location like job sim does have the huge advantage that there's nothing to teach, and non-gamers can get into it. It's also the most lifelike and immersive. Hopefully people can find creative uses for that space that isn't a wave shooter or playground/puzzle.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I played OG Alone in the Dark this week, I have nostalgic childhood memories of it that I wanted to revisit for fun but it did strike me as something that could conceivably be a near 1:1 VR adaption. Most of the puzzles could be just about identical with only the latter quarter action-heavy part of the game being an issue (though it kinda sucks anyway and could probably do with a redesign). The cramped interiors would really serve a room-scale setup well.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

Unfortunatly the Climby developer is a Nazi and his entire method of locomotion is training you to Seig Heil

lol at you trying to appear good-humoured after that insane Captain Ahab vendetta you had on the last page. What the hell was that?

Swagman
Jun 10, 2003

Yes...all was once again peaceful in River City.

AgentF posted:

lol at you trying to appear good-humoured after that insane Captain Ahab vendetta you had on the last page. What the hell was that?

its poetic justice

hes just joshin you dude

8one6
May 20, 2012

This is why you play with chaperone on.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Fooz posted:

Same. Pavlov demonstrated to me that "Onward movement" still makes me sick in any game not as slow paced as Onward.

So far my favorite movement has been "use your hands to crawl around", which only works in a limited number of contexts.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I'm trying to think if a survival/battle royale game (á la Battlegrounds) would be the worst or best thing in VR. It's a pretty addictive and fun formula in regular 2D gaming and the frantic scavenging would be pretty cool in VR. I imagine adding a blurry-vision effect or something would help people to really want to avoid gas/forcefields pushing you toward the final showdown.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Fooz posted:

Try freedom locomotion. It's interesting and I think probably the best head/hands jogging in place implementation I've seen so far. Use the main option (COTAS) I think they call it. Try dialing in the numbers although I found the default to be pretty good. Also if it messes up just close and reopen and re-calibrate. I've had some issues where I couldn't get out of the calibration step, but a close reopen fixed it right up.

https://hugerobot.itch.io/freedom-locomotion-vr

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just prefer stick locomotion because I'm used to it from normal games. Using my arms to swim through a level just seems weird to me. I'm glad the stick locomotion is getting more acceptable to people. It was pretty annoying in the beginning when I'd advocate for it and then spergs would meltdown because they personally got VR sickness from it, so no one should be allowed to use it. The only true locomotion format that could fit in a home is a treadmill. Roomscale is nice, but that forces every game to either be room sized, or use teleportation. Unless people can do wireless VR in a big warehouse in a game that uses techniques to get you to turn without realizing it to keep you within a big area, there's no way to do a big game in VR with physical locomotion.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 1, 2017

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Idle thought:

Basing trackpad or analogue stick based movement speed in VR on the user's height/stride might be the trick to making it feel more natural. That and the accell/decell on either end of the movement.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Did I read earlier in this thread that a goon did the Soundboxing beat map for BFG Division? If so, thank you kindgoon, it was a blast!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

It was pretty annoying in the beginning when I'd advocate for it and then spergs would meltdown because they personally got VR sickness from it, so no one should be allowed to use it.

It seemed for a while that no one would even consider the idea that somebody might just become used to it. I understand that you need some games that don't take "getting used to" in order to convince wary people to spend their money on a system, but people were taking it pretty far.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Warbird posted:

Idle thought:

Basing trackpad or analogue stick based movement speed in VR on the user's height/stride might be the trick to making it feel more natural. That and the accell/decell on either end of the movement.

Head bob would also probably help, but also would be horrible and bad. There are just too many things holding back the headsets from being fully "real"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hey cool a bunch of new posts about VR, maybe a new ga...:yikes:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
We need the vive trackers to come out so we can walk in place or hip thrust to move

And also kick things like balls and monsters and sticks and kick open doors and stuff

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 1, 2017

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I was wishing I could kick people in GORN just yesterday, or at least heads like a soccer ball

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tweak posted:

I was wishing I could kick people in GORN just yesterday, or at least heads like a soccer ball

The only person stopping you from strapping your controllers to your feet is you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

GlyphGryph posted:

hip thrust to move
This gave me an idea