Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

YOUR COMPUTER CAN MAKE THIS WIZARDRY, BUT NOT RECORD VIDEO.

BULLOCKS, I SAY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
After a 6 month hiatus I've logged in and the game still sucks. They really need to get over themselves and go back to 8vs8 already.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Q_res posted:

I better be able to hook up my HOTAS setup and not gimp myself by doing so.

Joysticks will never not be worse than a mouse for aiming so I don't really know what you expect to happen.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

almost certainly because the arms were protruding into your field of view

Astroniomix posted:

Joysticks will never not be worse than a mouse for aiming so I don't really know what you expect to happen.

joysticks are an okay replacement for WASD and weapon binds if you really want them for their own sake

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I never played in the 8v8 days, what's so much better about it? Tonnage limits and stuff or just more diverse players in games since there is only probably 70 people playing at any time

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I never played in the 8v8 days, what's so much better about it? Tonnage limits and stuff or just more diverse players in games since there is only probably 70 people playing at any time

much longer time to kill and generally smaller maps that encouraged engagements at less than 500m

also 8v8 mostly happened before the cataphracterdammerung of PPC poptarts (because PPC hitreg didn't work very well yet)

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

armchairyoda posted:

YOUR COMPUTER CAN MAKE THIS WIZARDRY, BUT NOT RECORD VIDEO.

BULLOCKS, I SAY.

I stole it from the brown sea. :yarr:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Great Beer posted:

I stole it from the brown sea. :yarr:

:eternalshame:

e: poo poo!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cease to Hope posted:

almost certainly because the arms were protruding into your field of view

I'm not sure how that's a bad thing.

If you need me, I'll be sulking in my Hunchback.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Cease to Hope posted:

much longer time to kill and generally smaller maps that encouraged engagements at less than 500m

also 8v8 mostly happened before the cataphracterdammerung of PPC poptarts (because PPC hitreg didn't work very well yet)

Yup, 8v8 would drastically reduce the amount of firepower on the map at once, and would also warrant smaller maps. This decreases dead time in matches (like with polar highlands where even the fastest mechs spend three to four minutes wandering around in the snow) and also decreases the firing line potential of a team. The idiot who rounds the corner into the entire enemy team will only be getting shot by eight enemy mechs instead of twelve, and playing objectives is both more important for the entire team and less dedicated bitchwork exclusive to lights.

I never got to play in 8v8s, but the less people you have in a game the more it emphasizes individual skills combining with teamwork, which is honestly more fun imo. A good example of this idea is in scouting, where having poor individual skills or poor teamwork skills can easily sink a team, but in the same token a good individual pilot or a good team of mediocre ones can absolutely wipe the floor with people consistently.

If there was any incentive to not just create massive death balls on every game mode then 12v12 would be fine, because people would presumably be spreading out across the map to do whatever, but since there isn't any incentive to do that it just doesn't function well.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Commoners posted:

8v8 was rad.

Yup.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I still say putting in swarms and artillery-style fire on location would break stupid death ball and hidey poptart bullshit play and encourage more close-up engagements (since you can't swarm next to your own team without massive team damage)

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
:rip: 8v8. Dead on the altar of Paul.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Astroniomix posted:

While this is true, in a singleplayer game it doesn't really matter. Joystick controls just need to not be rear end.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
lol

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Rysithusiku posted:

I still say putting in swarms and artillery-style fire on location would break stupid death ball and hidey poptart bullshit play and encourage more close-up engagements (since you can't swarm next to your own team without massive team damage)

See that's kinda in game already but nobody does it because a) it's a consumable that costs credits b) is pretty weak c) covers a tiny area d) is pretty obviously telegraphed. Ideally that's a role for flanking lights scouting enemy positions but since the universal strategy of the day is either literally Nascar or race to the butthole (insert map specific geographical location that serves as the ideal spot to peak and poke other from ), there's not a lot of room or need for scouts.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

ZombyDog posted:

See that's kinda in game already but nobody does it because a) it's a consumable that costs credits b) is pretty weak c) covers a tiny area d) is pretty obviously telegraphed. Ideally that's a role for flanking lights scouting enemy positions but since the universal strategy of the day is either literally Nascar or race to the butthole (insert map specific geographical location that serves as the ideal spot to peak and poke other from ), there's not a lot of room or need for scouts.

No I think he means being able to click a spot on your map to call in strikes, not having to point at only what you can see in your mech. Which is, uh, kinda what I think everyone originally expected but PGI just never delivered for whatever reason.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It looks okay? I mean, I like the concept art a bit more, but the 3D model is fine.

It's the Annihilator that got the really poo poo model.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 1, 2017

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

It looks okay? I mean, I like the concept art a bit more, but the 3D model is fine.

It's the Annihilator that got the really poo poo model.

I don't hate it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A.o.D. posted:

I don't hate it.

I love it. It's going to be a ton of fun pouring 2 or 3 alphas into the cockpit of one of those while the pilot tries to get his low torso and arm mounted weapons over the hill.

Imagine if the King Crab had a observation tower mounted on top of its shell.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Mad Cat mk II is gonna be insane though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They've even said that the missile pods vanish when not in use, so yeah, it'll have a good peeking profile and solid hitboxes.

Edit: Probably it's only real downside is that none of the variants can mount more than one torso ballistic.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 1, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Eh, no way I'd throw money at that until you see how the meta is going to change with the changes to mech maneuverability. I took a hard look at it because of those mounts and hit boxes but gently caress it. The pre order bonus is the standard lame PGI bullshit, so if it ends up being great just get it a whole week after it's been released.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

They've even said that the missile pods vanish when not in use, so yeah, it'll have a good peeking profile and solid hitboxes.

More importantly, this means that, like the Catapult, it will be heinously undersized. The volumetric scaling that PGI does for the mechs is based on the volume of the prime/main variant with its stock weapons loadout, they have confirmed in the past. The Catapult has those huge loving missile boxes, which is why the K2 is smaller than a 50 ton mech by volume. Similarly, the TBR II has them, and when everyone removes them because LRMs are terrible and SRMs are marginal, it's going to be vastly underscaled for its weight which gives it a big advantage. The TBR we have now has pretty small missile boxes on the prime, so I wouldn't be surprised if the TBR II is barely bigger than it.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
MW5 is in a playable alpha state right now. Its pretty bare bones, but they do have working netcode and a couple of maps you can do 12 vs 12 on

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Finally got a trashcan (UM-R60), what's the current goonthink on entertaining builds?

Currently looking at this one (1xAC10/1xslas/1xams/1xjj

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 1, 2017

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

You could do this:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=276&l=2de62553c1b6b3203eaabd6f481902589fbc5f45

Its not really fast enough to make use of the machine guns but if you can survive until late in the match when everyone is open you can make guns fall off.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Great Beer posted:

You could do this:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=276&l=2de62553c1b6b3203eaabd6f481902589fbc5f45

Its not really fast enough to make use of the machine guns but if you can survive until late in the match when everyone is open you can make guns fall off.

Yeah that's the other build I was looking at. I should have grabbed two when they were 150mc

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Willfrey posted:

MW5 is in a playable alpha state right now. Its pretty bare bones, but they do have working netcode and a couple of maps you can do 12 vs 12 on

I see what you did there.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
This is what I run for the urbanmech. LPL and ML go well together, and you can fire them pretty consistently. More jump jets more better for the urbanmech, because it can fire all of its guns straight down.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=276&l=a8cba4767a3717427d1fa4c34c35981bc2b02b69

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
when you run into a another goon group and both sides brought urbies

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Grognan posted:

when you run into a another goon group and both sides brought urbies

I was so pumped when I realized that Urbie was you.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

I was so pumped when I realized that Urbie was you.

I mean really, who isn't excited to shoot Grognan?

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I thoroughly enjoyed landing on the opposite scouting team as you guys and then pounding you to death with lrms in scouting lol

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
New event being teased on Twitter. Supposed to be pretty massive, which means having to play CW a lot most likely.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Repo Man posted:

which means having to play CW a lot most likely.

Gonna pass on that.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Skoll posted:

Gonna pass on that.

They are slowly dropping hints on twitter. I just got my game mostly working again, so I'll probably check it out at least.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
CW is not fun, no matter what they do. Events don't make bad gameplay any better.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
They make them worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Last night we learned that goon groups are only good at LRM boating. It was a shameful night. But the 6 win streak (minus the one we threw to piss off that sperg) was worth it.

• Locked thread