Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

NikkolasKing posted:

Feeling bad about dead kid is lame. But ME3 had things like the Rannoch Reaper fight and while there is no actaul final boss, the final fight in is still more intense than the "final boss" of Andromeda.

Both games needed boss fights that weren't just plain renamed bad guys.

ME2 had that ship you fight when helping garrus, collector boss/horde? in the middle, and the reaper baby. Even though it wasn't alot of fights it was still way better than the next 2 games. ME2 also had the shadowbroker boss fight that was pretty fun also but it was DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
I've mostly just plinked away at MEA since launch, an hour or two here or there before bed a couple times a week, and so far I've logged about 70ish hours. It took awhile for the game to click with me, but somehow I'm actually having fun? A couple takeaways:
*Ryder is such a goofball and her little jokes and puns make me smile. She's the best character in the game by far followed by Vetra and Drack. Hell, even Peebee surprised me, I like her a lot.
*I can't say that about the rest of the squad though, Liam is an idiot and consistently grounded to the ship, Cora is just... there. Jaal is alright I guess but his VA bothers me for some reason.
*The story hit some pretty solid highs and some real low lows for me. I'm tying things up before I do the Meridian stuff and its at least been cohesive enough to keep me interested. The other ark missions have been the best experiences so far imo.
*multiplayer is my poo poo, even if it needs some fine tuning, I'm having a blast with it.

Welp, that's my take

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I heard there was mention of the Quarian Ark, but I beat the game and no one mentioned it outside of that one guy who said it was cut due to budget reasons.

Where's the reveal at?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Snuffman posted:

I heard there was mention of the Quarian Ark, but I beat the game and no one mentioned it outside of that one guy who said it was cut due to budget reasons.

Where's the reveal at?

It was stopping on the Volus homeplanet, it spun in. There were no survivors.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

It was stopping on the Volus homeplanet, it spun in. There were no survivors.

Good. I'd sooner bring the geth to the new galaxy.

Tenzarin posted:

Both games needed boss fights that weren't just plain renamed bad guys.

ME2 had that ship you fight when helping garrus, collector boss/horde? in the middle, and the reaper baby. Even though it wasn't alot of fights it was still way better than the next 2 games. ME2 also had the shadowbroker boss fight that was pretty fun also but it was DLC.

Well there's a reason (or a hundred) why ME2 is considered by far the best.

But I really liked ME3's enemies like the Brutes, Banshees, etc. that showed what the Reapers did to the various races.

Sucks humans only get made into Husks. We're poo poo.

Snuffman posted:

Where's the reveal at?

You have to talk to somebody at the end when everyone is celebrating. I forget who.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Besides being a bit too long and having idiotic shouting by your sibling and the big bad for the entire thing, the final fight in ME:A is probably the best final boss in the series, closely followed by ME 2's reaperbaby.

I mean that isn't a difficult thing what with there just being 4 games but still.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NikkolasKing posted:

That's not true! We also become gun-arms and skulls inside giant bug monsters, for some reason. :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

NikkolasKing posted:

Good. I'd sooner bring the geth to the new galaxy.

The geth were more interesting that the future roomba's that you fight. The geth didn't do poo poo in ME3 did they? I only remember ME3 having another geth ship mission just so shepard could repeat Legion's lines about "no windows" from ME2's geth ship mission.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Snuffman posted:

Where's the reveal at?

Someone you talk to on the Meridian has a transmission from them

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Honestly I wish the Geth had just sent out the AI and we got to play as cool robots instead of boring old humans.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Stelio Kontos posted:

I've mostly just plinked away at MEA since launch, an hour or two here or there before bed a couple times a week, and so far I've logged about 70ish hours. It took awhile for the game to click with me, but somehow I'm actually having fun? A couple takeaways:
*Ryder is such a goofball and her little jokes and puns make me smile. She's the best character in the game by far followed by Vetra and Drack. Hell, even Peebee surprised me, I like her a lot.
*I can't say that about the rest of the squad though, Liam is an idiot and consistently grounded to the ship, Cora is just... there. Jaal is alright I guess but his VA bothers me for some reason.
*The story hit some pretty solid highs and some real low lows for me. I'm tying things up before I do the Meridian stuff and its at least been cohesive enough to keep me interested. The other ark missions have been the best experiences so far imo.
*multiplayer is my poo poo, even if it needs some fine tuning, I'm having a blast with it.

Welp, that's my take

I just wish that you could call Peebee "Peebs" in-game because her personality makes it seem like she would hate that but love you for it at the same time.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Carebearz posted:

I just wish that you could call Peebee "Peebs" in-game because her personality makes it seem like she would hate that but love you for it at the same time.

:same:

She's such a Peebs!!

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

NikkolasKing posted:

Batarians AND humans were used in making Cannibals, kind of like how Turians and Krogans were used for Brutes. Wiki link, just because: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Cannibal

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Peebee is such a loving dumb name

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Stelio Kontos posted:

:same:

She's such a Peebs!!

I can't decide between Peebee or Vetra for a romance option. I was gonna go with Cora because human purity but gently caress that "Not Asari" bitch:

Carebearz fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 1, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Moola posted:

*that scene from jurassic park with hammond eating ice cream, except it's mac walters and the camera pans across shelves of abandoned me:a merchandise*

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Moola posted:

Peebs makes up for it by being on of the most interesting companions imho

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Carebearz posted:

Peebs makes up for it by being on of the most interesting companions imho

this is extremely faint praise lol

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The two characters I totally ignored were Peebee and the pilot. Apparently he has some problem with Gil but I never found out what it was because I never talked to him after the first time.

And Peebee's quest said to go to Voeld and look for cores or something. gently caress that.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Moola posted:

this is extremely faint praise lol

I mean, I like every companion other than Cora, and Peebee's outlook on all this poo poo is exactly how I would try to be if ME:A was real life.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

NikkolasKing posted:

The two characters I totally ignored were Peebee and the pilot. Apparently he has some problem with Gil but I never found out what it was because I never talked to him after the first time.

And Peebee's quest said to go to Voeld and look for cores or something. gently caress that.

He doesn't like Gil, because Gil makes poo poo work however he can, and the pilot is all about fixing this ship by the book, you know, because he helped build it and all.

Gil doesn't like him because he's all by the book

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Wot I liked:

If Citadel was a direct apology for ME3's ending, Andromeda's is an indirect one, you can see how they tried to learn their lesson and wove in various decisions as part of the final charge. If the game had given me a reason to care about more of them, this would've been ace. I don't even mind that they had a hectic time attack climax with regular enemies instead of a boss, but I may be out to sea on that because I also thought the Saren and Mega-Husk fights were kinda dopey. I spent all my spacebux on cobras in anticipation of an architect-style battle with Archon that never manifested. Most of the main quest sequence was good actually; although the post-Archon and post-Meridian mission spam makes it really obvious that this, too, was abridged for time.

I also think the open-world mechanics themselves were okay. Tooling around in the Nomad discovering stuff is cool until you realize few of the destinations are all that interesting; the rare occasions you stumble on something fun really work. Even though they'll probably over-correct and make MEA2 a mostly linear experience I really wouldn't mind this as a skeleton for future games, if they'd only bother to give the worlds more depth and variety. Just bothering to allow for sequence-breaking would've been a massive improvement. Gimme the the original vision of 100+ explorable planets (or hell just do multiple biomes) and make the mining more intuitive and you'll have the next-gen Star Control game that I've always wanted and that Stardock will probably gently caress up.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 1, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

evilmiera posted:

Besides being a bit too long and having idiotic shouting by your sibling and the big bad for the entire thing, the final fight in ME:A is probably the best final boss in the series, closely followed by ME 2's reaperbaby.

I mean that isn't a difficult thing what with there just being 4 games but still.

I finally got around to finishing the game last night. and that final sequence of the game was great From the trap, to playing as the brother, to the reveal of what Meridian is, was all real cool.

at that point I was comically overpowered so I was just crushing fools with charge and the auto shotty(though I wasn't playing on insanity) so It didn't really feel particularly long.

But I for the most part enjoyed the game. especially once you stopped worrying about most Tasks(Only one I did was Path of the Hero with the reporter).

They really just need to ditch the Open world thing though. Or they need to go all in and hand craft everything to make it remotely interesting. My only time disliking this game was mostly whenever I was in the open world trying to navigate around. Combat got meh but that's because I mostly found what worked got good at it and ground it into the ground(Auto shotty, charge, Nova, and Annihilation. with a heat sink Carnifax for dealing with the orb shield guys. ) .

The characters all grew on me, outside of Cora, who I started out liking and ended up being ehhh by the end of her story, Sarissa is cool though, I'd take her over Cora.

Drack and Peebee are standouts. Boy Peebee had a garbage intro for an otherwise cool character.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Carebearz posted:

He doesn't like Gil, because Gil makes poo poo work however he can, and the pilot is all about fixing this ship by the book, you know, because he helped build it and all.

Gil doesn't like him because he's all by the book

By the time you're forced to pick a side Kallo's argument ends up being less about safety concerns and more about how the rest of his team died and he wants to preserve their design vision out of sentimentality.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Dr. Abysmal posted:

By the time you're forced to pick a side Kallo's argument ends up being less about safety concerns and more about how the rest of his team died and he wants to preserve their design vision out of sentimentality.

Plus Gil threw off a whole alien racist vibe that I didn't really like, unless I misread his dislike for Kallo as barely contained racism at first

Carebearz fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 1, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

"What changes" question:

On the Salarian Ark, you have to choose between saving Krogan or Salarians.. I saved the Salarians and then had to fight super Krogan from then on in. Do I fight super Salarians otherwise? What are they like?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Gil is right about engineering the ship, and someone I don't like talking to in every other aspect.

Also, joke's on me, I had no idea Cora was straight.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Snuffman posted:

"What changes" question:

On the Salarian Ark, you have to choose between saving Krogan or Salarians.. I saved the Salarians and then had to fight super Krogan from then on in. Do I fight super Salarians otherwise? What are they like?

You fight fiends instead.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Halloween Jack posted:

Gil is right about engineering the ship, and someone I don't like talking to in every other aspect.

Is it too much to ask that he run those changes by us before hand and not make them while the ship is operating?

TBF, siding with Kallo let me sort of make this argument.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Halloween Jack posted:

If you flirt with her as a woman, she says a bunch of asari hit on her during her time with them but she just doesn't swing that way.

Her sex scene with Dick Ryder was in ads for the game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cythereal posted:

If you flirt with her as a woman, she says a bunch of asari hit on her during her time with them but she just doesn't swing that way.

Her sex scene with Dick Ryder was in ads for the game.

I romanced her. [insert rear end effect pun here]

I was told Cora was the Jacob of this game. Apart from my dislike of Tali, I'm usually pretty conventional in my ME Squadmate opinions. Wrex was the best ME1 Squadmate, Garrus is Bro #1, Mordin was both hilarious and interesting, and, yes, Jacob was boring as hell. But Cora felt like the right choice to romance when you learn she was supposed to be the Pathfinder and sh was your dad's protege and stuff like that. Lexi even comments that your dad would approve of the match.

Cora won't go down as my favorite BW Waifu or anything (that's Dawn Star or maybe Merrill) but I didn't have a lot of options in this game. I flirted with Reyes because I guess I have a weakness for Spanish rogues. (Zevran) But I ended up shooting him in the back.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 1, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Liam is so much of an adorable tryhard.

His Emails are amazing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NikkolasKing posted:

I was told Cora was the Jacob of this game. Apart from my dislike of Tali, I'm usually pretty conventional in my ME Squadmate opinions. Wrex was the best ME1 Squadmate, Garrus is Bro #1, Mordin was both hilarious and interesting, and, yes, Jacob was boring as hell. But Cora felt like the right choice to romance when you learn she was supposed to be the Pathfinder and sh was your dad's protege and stuff like that. Lexi even comments that your dad would approve of the match.

Cora won't go down as my favorite BW Waifu or anything (that's Dawn Star or maybe Merrill) but I didn't have a lot of options in this game. I flirted with Reyes because I guess I have a weakness for Spanish rogues. (Zevran) But I ended up shooting him in the back.

I went for Suvi. I like smart girls and I like religious girls, and combining both with a Scottish accent pushes all kinds of buttons for me. Sarah being an incredible dork the whole time was just great, and Lexi commented that Sarah and Suvi were truly kindred spirits - maybe because I played Sarah as very logical/gear and professional/maze.

Shame about the 2-3 romance conversations that felt like they were meant to happen but just... didn't happen. Including one where the word 'love' would come up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I went for Suvi. I like smart girls and I like religious girls, and combining both with a Scottish accent pushes all kinds of buttons for me. Sarah being an incredible dork the whole time was just great, and Lexi commented that Sarah and Suvi were truly kindred spirits - maybe because I played Sarah as very logical/gear and professional/maze.

Shame about the 2-3 romance conversations that felt like they were meant to happen but just... didn't happen. Including one where the word 'love' would come up.

If I had been playing Sara I definitely would have romanced Suvi. She was so fun to talk to for the reasons you listed which is why I was sad there are almost no conversations with her in the late game.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

NikkolasKing posted:

Cora is a boring rear end character who is essentially an asari weeb

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I felt like most of the conversations with Suvi were:

SUVI: "I believe in God, Ryder."

"Yes, I also believe in God." <-> "There is no God, you embarrassing fool."

Repeat three times.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

Repeat three times.

Odd. In my playthrough, Suvi brought up God only twice, out of eight or so conversations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Repeat three times.

Once you get past the first binary choice. It got more interesting(I picked the yes there is a god, because eh.) as then you start seeing her try to reconcile her thinking there is a god, and the fact that the Angaran were created which was kinda cool .

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Cythereal posted:

Odd. In my playthrough, Suvi brought up God only twice, out of eight or so conversations.

I think the point he was trying to make is that when it gets brought up you have a very "Yes I believe too" "No I'm a smug atheist" type of response, which they found unsatisfying as possible responses to that prompt.

Not a raw count on the number of times the conversation happens or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I didn't romance her.

I think all we ever talked about was god and then we exhausted everything but the "oh it's so wonderful the stars and so on" and then she quit my team at the end which was fine.