Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i don't think it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but remember when dems claimed the primary wasn't rigged?

https://twitter.com/threeputtwilly/status/858320141762920448

quote:

THE COURT:
And then one other question on the issue
of standing for the defense. Is there a difference between a
campaign promise made by a political candidate and a promise
that pertains to the integrity of the primary process itself?
In other words, President George H.W. Bush's --
MR. SPIVA:
"Read my lips."
THE COURT:
-- promise -- "read my lips, no new
taxes," and then he raised taxes. Well, he could not be sued
for raising taxes. But with respect to the DNC charter,
Article V, Section 4, is there a difference between the two?
MR. SPIVA:
Not one

Condiv fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Condiv posted:

i don't think it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but remember when dems claimed the primary wasn't rigged?

Yeah, I mean at a certain point you have to start wondering about fair elections as a concept in the US.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I mean at a certain point you have to start wondering about fair elections as a concept in the US.

right. having skimmed through it, counsel for the dems is still claiming the primary was fair, but that even if it wasn't that's ok because the dems charter is as binding as the campaign promises a politician makes. i personally would like our charter to be worth more than toilet paper to the democratic party, but they're arguing it's nothing but toilet paper right now

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Condiv posted:

right. having skimmed through it, counsel for the dems is still claiming the primary was fair, but that even if it wasn't that's ok because the dems charter is as binding as the campaign promises a politician makes. i personally would like our charter to be worth more than toilet paper to the democratic party, but they're arguing it's nothing but toilet paper right now

When someone says to you, "I could just be picking results out of thin air for bribes, nepotism, or really any arbitrary reason and there is no moral or legal basis to compel me otherwise, so you should feel lucky and appreciative that I am not doing that at all so drop this investigation into my affairs immediately." it doesn't engender a lot of trust.

In fact, you might say it does the opposite.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

I'm glad you all are so willing to say that someone who believes trans women are men in dresses has a place in the ideal Democratic Party.

They are males in dresses, but I have literally no problem with it and I want to extend every right an protection to them that every othrt demographic enjoys.

However I am not going to sexually engage as though they are a woman.

So please spare the sane world from your alarmist woke ideology.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Sethex posted:

They are males in dresses, but I have literally no problem with it and I want to extend every right an protection to them that every othrt demographic enjoys.

actually they aren't "males in dresses", and considering you have "literally no problem with it" you should be referring to them as their preferred gender and not something insensitive like males in dresses. thanks

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

transitioning is a long, painstaking and socially alienating process way harsher than coming out of the closet. people who are brave enough to make that jump do not deserve to be slandered as "males in dresses"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Ugh, can you make another thread for your ignorant backwards-rear end bigotry and keep your trash personality out of this one thanks.

LeJackal posted:

When someone says to you, "I could just be picking results out of thin air for bribes, nepotism, or really any arbitrary reason and there is no moral or legal basis to compel me otherwise, so you should feel lucky and appreciative that I am not doing that at all so drop this investigation into my affairs immediately." it doesn't engender a lot of trust.

In fact, you might say it does the opposite.

I saw this argument in earnest during the primaries. Like okay great you're a private organization and you have the legal right to play favorites and reward cronies, but have you forgotten that you still need people to like and trust you in order to win elections.

Oops.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

Condiv posted:

Comparing yourself to a lying Republican is the Democratest thing imaginable.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Ugh, can you make another thread for your ignorant backwards-rear end bigotry and keep your trash personality out of this one thanks.

I saw this argument in earnest during the primaries. Like okay great you're a private organization and you have the legal right to play favorites and reward cronies, but have you forgotten that you still need people to like and trust you in order to win elections.

Oops.

Wait wait I have a Jeff Goldblum meme for this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sethex posted:

The gently caress is this. Get out of this party.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sethex posted:

Wow, how the gently caress did you time travel from the 40's?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Sethex posted:

First, no one here asked you to do so. In fact, don't try to defend your bigotry by saying that zealous social justice warriors asked you to do so, either, as people often do. Second, don't flatter yourself. Third, keep your bigotry to yourself. When your thorough-thought opinion is "_______s disgust me, but I'll vote for their rights anyway", what else can you expect but what other people have already replied? Go to another thread, go to another website if you have to do it, but if you support "the same protections" like you claim, expressing that sentiment does nothing to further that and only emboldens people who want to tear down those protections.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

actually they aren't "males in dresses", and considering you have "literally no problem with it" you should be referring to them as their preferred gender and not something insensitive like males in dresses. thanks

Sorry, for me I consider male an female a sex thing not a gender thing, my mistakr if the terminology doesnt meet yours :)

I don't really think transubstantiation works for gender politics.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 1, 2017

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sethex posted:

Sorry, for me I consider male an female a sex thing not a gender thing, my mistakr if the terminology doesnt meet yours :)

I don't really think transubstantiation works for gender politics.

gently caress off, rear end in a top hat

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

galenanorth posted:

Third, keep your bigotry to yourself. When your thorough-thought opinion is "_______s disgust me, but I'll vote for their rights anyway", what else can you expect but what other people have already replied? Go to another thread, go to another website if you have to do it, but if you support "the same protections" like you claim, expressing that sentiment does nothing to further that and only emboldens people who want to tear down those protections.

Nah im good. I think its more sensible to expect people to treat a person as they are, an not as they ought to be.

So as is the tragedy of being a short dude or the product of 'outside the realm of control' anomaly you will never get even a plurality of the world's cultures to act within the mores you've deemed very important. (In our lifetime) So just be chill an relax brah

Not everything needs to be a fight.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Sethex posted:

I don't really think transubstantiation really works for gender politics.

even from a genetic standpoint that's a straight out wrongheaded perception of the world and sexuality.

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/swyer-syndrome#definition

quote:

Swyer syndrome is a condition that affects sexual development. Sexual development is usually determined by an individual's chromosomes; however, in Swyer syndrome, sexual development does not match the affected individual's chromosomal makeup.

but that doesn't matter much. you claim you respect transgender people but don't have the courtesy or decency of referring to them without slurs, that's hosed up

regardless, this is the democrats thread, not the "i think transgender people are males in dresses thread" so take it somewhere else

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Condiv posted:

even from a genetic standpoint that's a straight out wrongheaded perception of the world and sexuality.

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/swyer-syndrome#definition

Seriously, "the sex chromosomes don't always match up with the gender expressed in the phenotype" is literal Biology 101.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Sethex posted:

Not everything needs to be a fight.

You made it a fight, idiot. I meant it when I said that bigotry has no place here. That includes transphobia. Don't come back.

Condiv posted:

That's, uh...damning.:stare:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 1, 2017

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

lol if you didn't already think that

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Majorian posted:

You made it a fight, idiot. I meant it when I said that bigotry has no place here. That includes transphobia. Don't come back.

they aren't wrong tbh, parties are private organizations and they can run their primaries however gently caress they want

if they want to cancel primaries altogether they can do that too

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol if you didn't already think that

Of course I did, you smug tool, I just didn't think they would admit it that unmistakably.

e: \/\/\/exactly this\/\/\/

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Typo posted:

they aren't wrong tbh, parties are private organizations and they can run their primaries however gently caress they want

Whether they can do a thing, and whether they should openly discuss if they can do a thing are distinct concepts. Like we all agree that Barack Obama CAN accept massive payouts for make-work from the wealthy and powerful, but there's some discussion on if that's smart.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shutting down debate on if something SHOULD be done because it's ok by the rules is really irritating. It reminds me of the police threads where a young guy would get shot after being dragged out of his car after flashing his high beams at a cop and the debate would shift to "well see flashing your high beams is not actually legal so the end result where the cop shoots this 20 year old on side of the road is totally reasonable." Like some people just don't understand that people are mad at the rules that allow this to happen rather than that the rules were broken in some way.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Typo posted:

ehhhh, i dunno if that's actually the case. we'll find out with this court case, but the question here is if the party is obligated to obey its charter under or face fraud charges

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Radish posted:

Shutting down debate on if something SHOULD be done because it's ok by the rules is really irritating. It reminds me of the police threads where a young guy would get shot after being dragged out of his car after flashing his high beams at a cop and the debate would shift to "well see flashing your high beams is not actually legal so the end result where the cop shoots this 20 year old on side of the road is totally reasonable." Like some people just don't understand that people are mad at the rules that allow this to happen rather than that the rules were broken in some way.
This is the "if you commit a logical fallacy you automatically lose the debate" nerd logic, but applied to probable cause and police brutality.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Glad to see the mods are getting wise to Effectronica's game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!
Soiled Meat

Typo posted:

If they have a charter of rules for internal procedures, then they should be absolutely legally liable for not following them. If they are not found legally liable, then it means the main institutions of American democracy are held to a lower degree of accountability than random NGOs.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

This is the "if you commit a logical fallacy you automatically lose the debate" nerd logic, but applied to probable cause and police brutality.
I don't really see how you can commit a logical fallacy and win a debate. I suppose unless the stuff that contained the logical fallacy was totally unrelated to your actual argument, in which case probably just don't say the stuff totally unrelated to your actual argument to avoid confusion?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

If they are not found legally liable, then it means the main institutions of American democracy are held to a lower degree of accountability than random NGOs.

hate to break it to you but...

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

steinrokkan posted:

If they have a charter of rules for internal procedures, then they should be absolutely legally liable for not following them.

sure, then legislate a federal law that says so

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

I just didn't think they would admit it that unmistakably.

It's amazing what comes out when money's on the line isn't it?

See also: Fox News admitting that they're not actually news.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

twodot posted:

I don't really see how you can commit a logical fallacy and win a debate.
I'm talking about nerds online being like "A-ha! You committed the Arabian Keyhole fallacy! Therefore your entire argument is invalid, and my thesis that women are not people is now officially the Truth."

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure it's impossible for a human being to put their biases and logical fallacies aside. I mean, have you ever looked at a list of logical fallacies? Try to make an argument without checking one of those boxes.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm talking about nerds online being like "A-ha! You committed the Arabian Keyhole fallacy! Therefore your entire argument is invalid, and my thesis that women are not people is now officially the Truth."
Ok, but if the Arabian Keyhole fallacy is a fallacy, and your argument contains it, then your argument is invalid. That's how arguments and fallacies work. If you need fallacies to argue against people that think women aren't people, then the problem rests on you.
edit:
If anything the fact that people have bothered to name the weaknesses in your arguments should be telling you that you need to address those weaknesses, not that the criticisms of your arguments are somehow invalid just because they've been named.

twodot fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 1, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!
Soiled Meat

twodot posted:

Ok, but if the Arabian Keyhole fallacy is a fallacy, and your argument contains it, then your argument is invalid. That's how arguments and fallacies work. If you need fallacies to argue against people that think women aren't people, then the problem rests on you.

Not necessarily. The fallacy affects only assertions flowing from the point in which it occurred. It doesn't retroactively invalidate previous assertions, not is it really relevant if it was made e.g. in some tangential aside. You wouldn't cut down a whole tree because one branch was crooked.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

twodot posted:

edit:
If anything the fact that people have bothered to name the weaknesses in your arguments should be telling you that you need to address those weaknesses, not that the criticisms of your arguments are somehow invalid just because they've been named.

I'm pretty sure you two are talking past one another but ultimately agree. Arguments shouldn't be discounted simply because of obscure technicalities.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 1, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Not necessarily. The fallacy affects only assertions flowing from the point in which it occurred. It doesn't retroactively invalidate previous assertions, not is it really relevant if it was made e.g. in some tangential aside. You wouldn't cut down a whole tree because one branch was crooked.
Yeah but trees grow hosed up branches because biology is weird. Why is a person constructing arguments that are irrelevant to their own point?
edit:

Majorian posted:

I'm pretty sure you two are talking past one another but ultimately agree. Arguments shouldn't be discounted simply because of obscure technicalities.
What's an example of an obscure technicality which can make an argument wrong, but we should still think the argument is right?

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
There's also a pretty big difference between formal and informal fallacies. The former are logical show stoppers if your argument relies upon it as the logical structure is just broken, while the latter is has more to do with things like a bad conclusion or the characteristics of the premises.

AstheWorldWorlds fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

twodot posted:

Yeah but trees grow hosed up branches because biology is weird. Why is a person constructing arguments that irrelevant to their own point?

because humans aren't perfect or robots? making a mistake when constructing an argument is something that happens to human beings

• Locked thread