Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Prorat posted:

This is cringe.

He's not funny and has bad cufflinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Mnoba posted:

the democrat party

stop
saying
this

stop
reading
anything
that
uses
this
phrase

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Actually asking: Why?

I occasionally typo it that way so, uh, what's up?

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

JB50 posted:

http://investmentwatchblog.com/obama-signs-christmas-bill-making-alternative-media-illegal/

This is not the first time that the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) was used to disguise a piece of legislation. Back in 2012, Obama signed a law that allowed for the “indefinite detention of American citizens” without a judge or jury. Then in 2013, Obama signed an NDAA bill that packaged an end to the Smith-Mundit act that prevented the government from using propaganda against its own citizens enabling the government again to legally produce propaganda.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith%E2%80%93Mundt_Act

According to wikipedia the Smith-Mundt act was not ended but modified. Previously propaganda intended for foreign audiences could not be disseminated to American audiences. This insulated Americans from propaganda but also kept them in the dark about what we were saying to the rest of the world, as the info was exempt from FOIA requests. The bill Obama signed removed this aspect, while leaving the original bill intact, effectively preventing the use of propaganda against Americans and also making the government more transparent by letting Americans finally see what the government was broadcasting to the rest of the world.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Hmmmm no I think I'd rather trust the opinion of notable news source investmentwatchblog.com with its six hundred clickbait "top 5 things all LIARS have in COMMON" ads next to the byline over noted trash like wikipedia or the text of the legislation

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/dnc-shatters-the-illusion-of-american-democracy-in-order-to-keep-peoples-27-bucks-eaccc01ad3bd

A reminder that Bernie Would (and Should) Have Won, and even the DNC's lawyers (more or less) admit it.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 1, 2017

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Wow, that article. Democrats have failed so utterly in their service to the common man and become so out of touch that they're actually admitting it. "Yeah, gently caress you, we rigged the primaries. But that's our right."

That's endgame IDpol, though. "gently caress you, we know better". And they knew better so hard that Donald Johnald Trump became the president of the united states.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Accretionist posted:

Actually asking: Why?

I occasionally typo it that way so, uh, what's up?

Republicans started saying DemocRAT party just to be extra shady for no particular reason, much like "Obamacare" etc. etc.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
The republiCANs will do what the demonCANT'S

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Republicans started saying DemocRAT party just to be extra shady for no particular reason, much like "Obamacare" etc. etc.

I thought it was demon-rat or else democrap

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Tallgeese posted:

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/dnc-shatters-the-illusion-of-american-democracy-in-order-to-keep-peoples-27-bucks-eaccc01ad3bd

A reminder that Bernie Would (and Should) Have Won, and even the DNC's lawyers (more or less) admit it.

loving lol

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Tallgeese posted:

Russia made them do it with cyber, uh, stuff

yeah

yeah, that's it

e-

quote:

Since I am writing this essay for the perpetual Clintonian circle jerk that is Medium, I should probably preempt any vapid scoffing and dismissal here by assuring the reader that if you have been suffering from the delusion that Hillary Clinton was legitimately elected as the Democratic presidential nominee, you are wrong, and even the DNC lawyers admit it.

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 1, 2017

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Tallgeese posted:

hmmmm

dems r skum

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

VikingSkull posted:

Russia made them do it with cyber, uh, stuff

yeah

yeah, that's it

the secreta secretorum hacked clinton's cyber brain. duh

fake edit: today i was reading Richard Feynman's appendix to the Rogers Commission Report on the Challenger disaster (really good read btw) and his concluding sentence made me think of this campaign

quote:

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

rezatahs posted:

hmmmm

dems r skum

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

FisheyStix posted:

Wow, that article. Democrats have failed so utterly in their service to the common man and become so out of touch that they're actually admitting it. "Yeah, gently caress you, we rigged the primaries. But that's our right."

That's endgame IDpol, though. "gently caress you, we know better". And they knew better so hard that Donald Johnald Trump became the president of the united states.

lol. yet months ago if you talked about how the primaries were rigged D&D superstars would come flooding out of the woodwork to call you a crazy crackpot conspiracy theorist

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CharlestonJew posted:

lol. yet months ago if you talked about how the primaries were rigged D&D superstars would come flooding out of the woodwork to call you a crazy crackpot conspiracy theorist

Hell, the mods would do it, then lay down some lame burns after making sure you can't even reply

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Hell, the mods would do it, then lay down some lame burns after making sure you can't even reply

D&D is by far the worst collection of people in this forum, and possibly the Internet. I am glad it exists, if nothing else, for the sake of containment.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

revmoo posted:

D&D is by far the worst collection of people in this forum, and possibly the Internet. I am glad it exists, if nothing else, for the sake of containment.

Hear, hear, bovine hierophant.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Amarcarts posted:

So what's the deal with Benghazi? People make a big fuss but has anyone actually articulated what Hillary personally did wrong? As far I can tell she didn't increase security after a request for more security, but that seems like more of an oversight rather than "treason", since the state department probably deals with thousands of different communications/requests on a daily basis.

I just ask because looking back the right-wing media were going rabid about it for years afterward leading up until the election and now you don't hear about it.

It's because the request for security was based on very credible repeated threats and intelligence regarding those threats was completely and deliberately ignored consistent with Obama's disgustingly head in the sand foreign policy combined with Clinton's incompetence which was "lalala there is nothing wrong here in Benghazi I r real gud guy who deserve Nobel peace prize" directly led to people dying hth

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The embassy was a CIA black site that tortured local citizens and they deserved the attack

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blue Train posted:

The embassy was a CIA black site that tortured local citizens and they deserved the attack

wasn't the actual torture site a couple blocks down the street and the pitchfork mob got the wrong address or something, it's been a while

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

wasn't the actual torture site a couple blocks down the street and the pitchfork mob got the wrong address or something, it's been a while

Possibly?

In November The Wall Street Journal reported that the U.S. mission in Benghazi "was at its heart a CIA operation."

In January, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told Congress that the CIA was leading a "concerted effort to try to track down and find and recover ... MANPADS [man-portable air defense systems]" looted from the stockpiles of toppled Libyan ruler Muammar Qaddafi.

The State Department "consulate" served as diplomatic cover for the previously-hidden annex.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

they attacked both iirc, according to seymour hersh the consulate was a front to run guns to syria

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Maya Fey posted:

they attacked both iirc, according to seymour hersh the consulate was a front to run guns to syria

sounds about right

ofc shady American secret terror compounds are like the Starbucks of the middle east

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Also in October we reported the connection between Ambassador Christopher Stevens, who died in the attack, and a reported September shipment of SA-7 surface-to-air anti-craft missiles (i.e. MANPADS) and rocket-propelled grenades from Benghazi to Syria through southern Turkey.

That 400-ton shipment — "the largest consignment of weapons" yet for Syrian rebels — was organized by Abdelhakim Belhadj, who was the newly-appointed head of the Tripoli Military Council.

In March 2011 Stevens, the official U.S. liaison to the al-Qaeda-linkedLibyan rebels, worked directly with Belhadj while he headed the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group.

Stevens' last meeting on Sept. 11 was with Turkish Consul General Ali Sait Akin, and a source told Fox News that Stevens was in Benghazi "to negotiate a weapons transfer in an effort to get SA-7 missiles out of the hands of Libya-based extremists."

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
You guys are all confused; Benghazi was because of some YouTube video that had 100 likes.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Tallgeese posted:

Thanks for this. An interesting read and also a solid lol at the bizarro dystopian hellscape dimension which has been seeping into ours over the last 15 or so years.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the lawyers didn't actually admit a violation of the DNC bylaws, its called alternative pleading

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Gazpacho posted:

the lawyers didn't actually admit a violation of the DNC bylaws, its called alternative pleading

OJ Simpson wrote a book called If I Did It

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
durr lets read court transcripts without the slightest comprehension of law, and also wield chainsaws one-handed

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That is overlooking the fact that the only court that actually matters in this instance is the court of public opinion.

It really doesn't matter that it's a way to say "if the court finds that this actually happened, then my defense for doing that is XYZ", when to the average person (read: the vast majority of voters) that's basically saying "I did it and am trying to weasel my way out of the consequences on a technicality."

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 2, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Tallgeese posted:

That is overlooking the fact that the only court that actually matters in this instance is the court of public opinion.

It really doesn't matter that it's a way to say "if the court finds that this actually happened, then my defense for doing that is XYZ", when to the average person (read: the vast majority of voters) that's basically saying "I did it and am trying to weasel my way out of the consequences on a technicality."

Public opinion, often informed by sexism, is invalid. Clinton is best democrat!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

At a late 1970s American Bar Association seminar in New York,[2] Richard "Racehorse" Haynes gave this example: "Say you sue me because you say my dog bit you. Well, now this is my defense: My dog doesn't bite. And second, in the alternative, my dog was tied up that night. And third, I don't believe you really got bit. And fourth, I don't have a dog." Normally such arguments would seem to cancel each other on their face, however, legally "even if" and "anyway" clauses need not be argued; mutually exclusive defenses can be advanced without excuses for their relationship to each other. Of course jurists might be influenced by dual defenses such as "my dog was tied up" and "I don't have a dog", but this must be weighed against the fact that defenses may not be allowed if they are introduced too late.

Death to America

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Hillary had such an easy thing handed to her this election and I'm baffled that folks would rather armchair politician the election than look a loser in it's face.

Maybe it was the other thread where someone claimed if it wasn't for media coverage of the alt-right then Hillary wouldn't have had to make her basket of deplorables gaffe and then she might have won Wisconsin.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Toadvine posted:

Maybe it was the other thread where someone claimed if it wasn't for media coverage of the alt-right then Hillary wouldn't have had to make her basket of deplorables gaffe and then she might have won Wisconsin.

Hahaha

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Toadvine posted:

lol

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

SickZip posted:

I think they were a crucial component of the election. without them, there's no basket of deplorable or mainstream derangement about nazis. without that there's no Trump margin of victory imo.

their agitation and trolling were online guerilla warfare and worked the same way regular guerilla warfare does, by provoking overreach thats radicalizes former moderates. if the media hadn't spewed such hysterical rhetoric in response to 4cham trolling them, then there's not such extreme tribalism going on, and maybe hillary does pick up those suburban republicans she wanted. But the media was instead pushing the idea that we were on the edge of rahowa because someone called them a jew on twitter

My bad, it's the alt-right and the media's fault Hillary lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

It's definitely the other guys fault for winning

• Locked thread