Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Blue Train posted:

Interesting if true

According to marketing material for T-Mobile that was shown to Android Authority, the nation's third largest carrier hopes to make another pain point disappear. The next Uncarrier announcement will supposedly involve a new phone made exclusively for T-Mobile. It will include all of the features that you'd expect to find in a top shelf model in the $650-$800 price range, but will be priced much less. And the handset will include a lifetime warranty along with free insurance. This way, if the phone is broken, it can be replaced with no problem. And it will be commitment free so that anytime you want to turn it in, you can do so with no repercussions.

I'm assuming it's gonna be a Xiaomi/Oneplus/Blu/whatever gimp machine that ends up being found to be transmitting loads of personal and financial data to an unnamed server located in Cyprus, and having a manufacturing flaw that means it has to be patched on an emergency basis to throttle down the CPU to prevent destructive overheating.

Screen'll have huge resolution but poor color repro, massive ghosting issues, poor QA, and a weird sensitivity to heat so you know your phone is running hot because everything turns orange.

CPU will be "blazing fast" in a very literal sense - it will very quickly result in a fire by overheating and melting the battery casing. But GHz out the wazoo, maybe many-cored too.

Battery will have a big mAh figure but rapidly degrade, requiring device replacement within 8 months of typical use.

Verge review score: 9.2 while it has it's blemishes the device holds a great deal of promise and what isn't to love about those specs for the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm glad people's needs are being suited.

I'm also glad some people have concerns about the sensor placement.

Opinions​!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

On the other hand, my buddy had that warranty on a T-Mobile-sold Nexus 4 and that was The Truth. He probably went through ten Nexus 4s until they finally ran out of them late last year. They gave him some period-equivalent Samsung which he used for like a week before buying something else but I'll admit, four and a half years just swapping out Nexus 4s must've been pretty nice.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I tried the S8 in a store and really liked it. I've always had an iPhone and for the first time am thinking about switching. I really only use a handful of mainstream apps and don't play games. I like the s8 for the screen and form factor mainly. There seems to be a lot of hate for Samsung here? Like, support is a big problem and their devices are full of bloat ware?

I guess my question is, I'd love to use the s8 as a phone, but you guys seem to know a lot more about this stuff than me, and so is it actually a bad idea to try to switch?

I think the only thing I'd miss on the iPhone is the iMessage - Mac book capability. The giant backlog of music and previously purchased apps I never use anyway doesn't really affect me.

The things most important to me are messaging, a simple good map UI, camera, Spotify, and general email/casual somethingawful and Reddit app reading.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

I tried the S8 in a store and really liked it. I've always had an iPhone and for the first time am thinking about switching. I really only use a handful of mainstream apps and don't play games. I like the s8 for the screen and form factor mainly. There seems to be a lot of hate for Samsung here? Like, support is a big problem and their devices are full of bloat ware?

I guess my question is, I'd love to use the s8 as a phone, but you guys seem to know a lot more about this stuff than me, and so is it actually a bad idea to try to switch?

I think the only thing I'd miss on the iPhone is the iMessage - Mac book capability. The giant backlog of music and previously purchased apps I never use anyway doesn't really affect me.

The things most important to me are messaging, a simple good map UI, camera, Spotify, and general email/casual somethingawful and Reddit app reading.

You'll be fine. If you haven't used an Android before it will be quite a bit different no matter what phone you go with. Samsung just does a lot of silly things differently or wrong altogether but for the average user (which is what you sound like honestly) they are fantastic devices. You make a compromise no matter what device you'd go with.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The iPhone is super boring to use as a casual user. And my biggest worry is that this year's update will be another silly incremental change without much actual UI change. I mean, it took them something like 4 years just to implement the swipe up/down control panel things and the swipe left info panel thing. Plus, with the AT&T plan letting you switch phones every year.. why not?

My only worry is after skimming about 20 prior pages of this thread is this idea of getting "Samsunged". If that's not the biggest actual concern than drat do I love that s8's looks and feel.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

The iPhone is super boring to use as a casual user. And my biggest worry is that this year's update will be another silly incremental change without much actual UI change. I mean, it took them something like 4 years just to implement the swipe up/down control panel things and the swipe left info panel thing. Plus, with the AT&T plan letting you switch phones every year.. why not?

My only worry is after skimming about 20 prior pages of this thread is this idea of getting "Samsunged". If that's not the biggest actual concern than drat do I love that s8's looks and feel.

You will be right at home with Android, if updates don't change the UI you can always download a dozen different apps to change various aspects of the UI.

Samsung phones aren't bad for non-spergs. They're functional, have the best displays, arguably the best cameras, and it will be supported for about 2 years, which won't be an issue if you do the NEXT program.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've been a Nexus user since the Nexus One, just switched from a Nexus 6 to the Galaxy S8+: You'll be fine, it's a fantastic device.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

Can you explain this? What would make using a telephone exciting to you? More sound and graphical effects? If so, then yes, a Samsung might be right for you!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

Can you explain this? What would make using a telephone exciting to you? More sound and graphical effects? If so, then yes, a Samsung might be right for you!

Yes, for better or for worse the Samsung experience is never boring

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
I'm an S8+ normal user and I love my fingerprint scanner. It's faster and more accurate than the one on my S6. It's on par with the one on my Iphone 7+ (work phone).

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Whoops quote post...

cage-free egghead posted:

You'll be fine. If you haven't used an Android before it will be quite a bit different no matter what phone you go with. Samsung just does a lot of silly things differently or wrong altogether but for the average user (which is what you sound like honestly) they are fantastic devices. You make a compromise no matter what device you'd go with.

This is great advice. Just make sure you at least use a bunch of devices in-store before you decide.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

Get either MightyText or Pushbullet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The S8 fingerprint scanner is objectively garbage compared to the one even on the 6P, and definitely far inferior to the iPhone. The location is really poor design.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

The S8 fingerprint scanner is objectively garbage compared to the one even on the 6P, and definitely far inferior to the iPhone. The location is really poor design.

I have a S8+ now and came from a nexus 6P. While the location isn't great and definitely does invite camera lens smudges, I got used to it in a day and I think I've had it fail to unlock like 4 times since I got it.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is it rejecting your fingerprint? I used to have rejections all the time on my Galaxy S6 and don't have any now.

And on the location point, you just don't like it on the back?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

clamiam45 posted:

Is it rejecting your fingerprint? I used to have rejections all the time on my Galaxy S6 and don't have any now.

Rejected a few times on the first day, can't remember when was the last time it failed. My last phone was a Nexus 6P so I'm used to a back fingerprint reader and like it because it's just where your finger naturally goes. I don't like how it's camera adjacent on the S8 but I got used to it quickly and it's not an issue anymore

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

clamiam45 posted:

Back is perfect, but in the middle, not immediately adjacent to the camera, and decent size are all important.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

clamiam45 posted:

Back is optimal actually, where the 6P, Pixel, Huawei phones, etc, all put it. In the middle, on the centerline. Putting it up top by the camera lens is just garbage. As well, I have a significantly higher rate of rejected fingerprints than I do on any other phone. My 6P/Pixel rarely had an issue, all my Samsung phones regularly take multiple scans.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The thumb reader on my S6 worked really well for about the first couple of days after I set it, and then went to poo poo.

Blew away the configuration and set it all up again. Did the same thing. Great for a couple of days, then rapid decline into poo poo.

Haven't had to touch the settings on my PixelXL and any one of the 5 fingers I have programmed in works with maybe a once in 30-40x miss.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

When do we get dick print sensors? Asking for a friend...

I am currently using the Pixel with Project Fi, and really liking it. Is it only on Fi, that I can have it setup so that my phone rings through g-mail and my phone?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Colt Cannon posted:

When do we get dick print sensors? Asking for a friend...

I am currently using the Pixel with Project Fi, and really liking it. Is it only on Fi, that I can have it setup so that my phone rings through g-mail and my phone?

You could use Google voice to do it as well I'm p sure

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Colt Cannon posted:

Is it only on Fi, that I can have it setup so that my phone rings through g-mail and my phone?

Kind of? If you were to port your number to Google Voice (or you just used Google Voice as your phone number) it would work similarly.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

Back is perfect, but in the middle, not immediately adjacent to the camera, and decent size are all important.

I use the Diztronic TPU case, so maybe that's helping me guide my finger to the correct location.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Back is optimal actually, where the 6P, Pixel, Huawei phones, etc, all put it. In the middle, on the centerline. Putting it up top by the camera lens is just garbage. As well, I have a significantly higher rate of rejected fingerprints than I do on any other phone. My 6P/Pixel rarely had an issue, all my Samsung phones regularly take multiple scans.

I have to say the scanner's being at the top works great for me, maybe my fingers are longer. When I'm holding the phone one-handed, my index finger gets there fine. And I can also touch the middle of the phone fine too, so I'm not knocking that location either.

The weird thing to me though is how the fingerprint scanner is so bad that you'd call it garbage, CLAM DOWN. We're having hugely different experiences. I'm learning it's a recurring joke here to bag on Samsung, so maybe it's in that context. I just don't feel this scanner is really materially different from any other I've ever used. For reference I've used the scanners on the macbook pro 2016 scanner, Iphone 7+, Pixel non-XL, Galaxy S6, and Galaxy S8+. The Galaxy S6 was a little slower and rejected maybe ten percent of scans. The rest are all equivalent for me.

Anyway, not to rant or dismiss your experiences with the phone. I just wanted to understand and air the fact that it's been fine for me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm not "bagging on Samsung", I've used them extensively for years as well as many personal phones from iPhone to Pixels, so I am quite well-versed in them. This is a pretty standard opinion as well, if you look at a wide variety of reviews and articles. Just because it works for you personally, doesn't mean it's an objectively poor design choice. From the Note 5 through to the S7E and S8, the Samsung fingerprint scanner is significantly poorer than any other I've used, and rejection rates can often be up to 50% sometimes and I have to reposition my finger/thumb multiple times for it to work. To contrast, as I already said, the Nexus 6P/Pixel has been perfect and I literally never have to try multiple attempts to get it to recognize.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
This thread occasionally has issues distinguishing between objective and subjective. Both the Galaxy and Pixel fingerprint sensors have been near universally praised for being fast and accurate. The complaints in this thread against either have been the outliers.

I use a Galaxy Note 4, which has the undisputed objective worst of the fingerprint sensors, and I have no problem unlocking my phone 99% of the time. If you're having trouble on a Galaxy S8 or Pixel I wouldn't blame the sensor.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have zero issues on the 6P/Pixel/iPhone 6S. I have never ending issues with the Samsung sensor. It's not me, it's the phone.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Healbot posted:

Must've taken some time trawling around people's trash.

It's my job to do so.

Blind Rasputin posted:

The iPhone is super boring to use as a casual user.

I'm glad my phone isn't "exciting," as I rely on it.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Desk Lamp posted:

This thread occasionally has issues distinguishing between objective and subjective.

Very good point right here!

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
My S8+ fingerprint scanner has given me a total of zero fails and I've had mine since March 30th. The location is dumb, but the acceptance rate has been 100% for me. That experienced has been shared with a couple of friends and family members who have them as well. I also have the iris scanner set up and haven't had it fail on me at all either, though I don't wear glasses or contacts.

Maybe try adding a few more "fingers" and using the same finger at different angles? I know people with iPhones who have to do that to consistently get a read on their fingers but i haven't personally had to even try it yet on my S8+ yet. I've also gotten completely used to putting my finger on the fingerprint scanner as I pick it up while still acknowledging the location isn't ideal.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 1, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

Both the Galaxy and Pixel fingerprint sensors have been near universally praised for being fast and accurate. The complaints in this thread against either have been the outliers.

Come on, stop pretending there aren't complaints all over the internet about the S8 sensor. It's not some Pixel warrior conspiracy.

Edit: It's like, look at this godawful placement of power and delete buttons:

I have never accidentally hit the power instead of delete but it is still the dumbest thing ever, and you'd be an idiot to argue otherwise.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 1, 2017

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Desk Lamp posted:

This thread occasionally has issues distinguishing between objective and subjective. Both the Galaxy and Pixel fingerprint sensors have been near universally praised for being fast and accurate.

And people have complained about the placement plenty, including in a ton of reviews. Which affects the relatively small sensor. Because nailing finger placement matters.

I've never had serious issues with a fingerprint reader that's otherwise a good sensor like I do the S8. The iPhone 7's is amazing, the Pixels is good if a touch slower, and the S8's is very good - when it works. I've registered three versions of my left index finger and it fails roughly 50% of the time. My right works at close enough to 100% that I don't second guess it, but for whatever reason the angle and distance I have to reach with my left hand means it doesn't work well enough to be an option. I don't have this issue with the Pixel (or 6P), meaning it's not my finger.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Well, I got myself the s8. It's a heck of a learning curve but christ does the iPhone feel like it's in the past. I love the customization and of course the screen and hardware just feel incredibly good. The fingerprint scanner works good.

Pardon the questions, am I supposed to be using the Samsung store and cloud and email/web apps, or the Google ones? Do I delete the AT&T Antivirus stuff and extra apps?

I already picked up SwiftKey which I am loving. And some cool transparent widgets. Are there any really good go-to apps or widgets or themes I should get?

Really thank you guys for the encouragement. I haven't used a non-iphone since the windows phone and I'm loving this.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Pardon the questions, am I supposed to be using the Samsung store and cloud and email/web apps, or the Google ones? Do I delete the AT&T Antivirus stuff and extra apps?

Go Google with everything possible, especially the store. If you have Exchange or some non-Gmail provider, it's possible Samsung's email app works better than the normal alternative. Otherwise, everything else is better Google. Make sure you sync to your Google account too, things like contacts. In the past, some phones have defaulted to syncing locally on the phone and it's the worst option.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Google, yes (you will likely only be able to disable rather than delete them)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Well, I got myself the s8

christ does the iPhone feel like it's in the past

am I supposed to be using the Samsung store and cloud and email/web apps, or the Google ones?

Do I delete the AT&T Antivirus stuff and extra apps?

It's... poetry.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

AT&T Antivirus stuff?

lmbo

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
not gonna take the bait

:yikes:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

Google, yes (you will likely only be able to disable rather than delete them)

There are apps specifically designed to disable stock Samsung apps. And yes, they will forever take up space on your phone but at least you won't have to see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

They should theoretically only take up space on the system partition which is not user accessible or counted in the available storage at least