Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Most things that are involved in FSD 5 Range rolls don't require combat. Chemical Manipulators do in every way I've found them, but it's possible that there's some form of USS that could drop them if you hate yourself.
Combat aftermath USS (which are in shipping lanes) will sometimes have them and I think they're one of the materials that can spawn at Dav’s Hope which is a persistent POI on planet A 5 in Hyades Sector DR-V c2-23 at 44.818/-31.389 (use http://hotdoy.ca/ed/bearing/ to find the site).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Mercurius posted:

Combat aftermath USS (which are in shipping lanes) will sometimes have them and I think they're one of the materials that can spawn at Dav’s Hope which is a persistent POI on planet A 5 in Hyades Sector DR-V c2-23 at 44.818/-31.389 (use http://hotdoy.ca/ed/bearing/ to find the site).

The definitely spawn there, but it's rare. I was going for something else and in about 15 resets I saw them twice.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

:shepicide:

Now that I have this loving thing I don't even know what I want to do with it.

year199X fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 1, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Get it ridin' dirty.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Did an explo trip normal to the galactic plane. Only went about 1.5 KLY out and made a bit over a million but I got my name on a few water worlds! Also found some rare artwork drifting in a wreck out there. Suspicious!

I hope eventually there's a slightly "harder" form of exploration. There's a lot of excitement and tension you could produce out there but as it stands almost all the danger feels like it lies in scooping.

EDIT: is there a good ED news site out there like WoWhead? Some kinda curated news site for all the poo poo going down out there that isn't Reddit?

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 1, 2017

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Did an explo trip normal to the galactic plane. Only went about 1.5 KLY out and made a bit over a million but I got my name on a few water worlds! Also found some rare artwork drifting in a wreck out there. Suspicious!

I hope eventually there's a slightly "harder" form of exploration. There's a lot of excitement and tension you could produce out there but as it stands almost all the danger feels like it lies in scooping.

It would be cool if there was more reward for discovery that isn't focused around earth like planets. Such a bummer that finding like escape pods and weird stuff outside the bubble is worthless. It would give you potential reasons to check out landable planets or USSes, find lost stuff, and haul it back to civilization.

I sometimes hike around in my SRV to break up the monotony of exploration. Finding a bunch of cryopods way out from the bubble felt cool and I wish the game rewarded that mechanically. In my head I was like "these people just got lucky enough for two lifetimes that I found them and hauled them back." The game actually said "you have less LY range for your return trip and here's 2000 credits."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is there really any reason whatsoever to play in open if you aren't explicitly looking for PVP?

There should be some incentivization for noncombat types to play in open (exploration data collected while in open is worth more, trading missions pay out a % better when conducted entirely in open, etc.)

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

It would be cool if there was more reward for discovery that isn't focused around earth like planets. Such a bummer that finding like escape pods and weird stuff outside the bubble is worthless. It would give you potential reasons to check out landable planets or USSes, find lost stuff, and haul it back to civilization.

I sometimes hike around in my SRV to break up the monotony of exploration. Finding a bunch of cryopods way out from the bubble felt cool and I wish the game rewarded that mechanically. In my head I was like "these people just got lucky enough for two lifetimes that I found them and hauled them back." The game actually said "you have less LY range for your return trip and here's 2000 credits."

Yeah the first time I found a cryopod out there I got PUMPED. Where was this person from? Where were they going? What happened? Nope. Cargo. Sell it. RIP. Hell, even if that stuff just gave you a ping that said "Take this back to X location" it would be something. As it stands I'm hard-pressed to care about USS or even planetary landings out there unless I need to build FSD overcharges or AFM refills, which is pretty rare.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I imagine this comes up a lot but help!

I'm trying to get back into this game but I just can't figure out what to do, i've killed people at mining areas and got bounty and spent it on a better ship but beyond that I'm not sure what to do, i tried a combat zone and I get whacked pretty soon after shooting at people (i've got a Vulture with two lazer thingies)

I went to the headquarters of the people i joined in powerplay (yellow utopian dude) and all i could get special was some flyers? thought they're might be some missions that would lead to something.

I dunno I feel i'm missing something, any advice?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Drone posted:

Is there really any reason whatsoever to play in open if you aren't explicitly looking for PVP?

There should be some incentivization for noncombat types to play in open (exploration data collected while in open is worth more, trading missions pay out a % better when conducted entirely in open, etc.)

While I'm a strong advocate for playing noted single player game Elite: Dangerous in a single player way, I'll admit there has been... one time in my entire time playing where I wished I was in a wing of cooperating fighters.

Multi-crew is a thing too. I mean, it's still 99% a single-player game but Frontier is at least trying to add reasons to play Open.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I've actually been doing the bounty hunting community goals in open or (largish) private groups. Winging up is so effective now that bounties aren't split.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The only time I play in open is when I'm in a "I'm not heavily grinding missions right now, so If I get interdicted by a player and get blown up I'm totally okay with that" kind of mood.

Which is less than 1% of the time.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Someone posted a video a while back of an engineered eagle boosting itself into orbit, anyone have the link?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Pilchenstein posted:

Someone posted a video a while back of an engineered eagle boosting itself into orbit, anyone have the link?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxI9wtgEV44
I blasted several ships to orbit. But nothing beats eagle in speed
not even iggle.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 1, 2017

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Dark Off posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxI9wtgEV44
I blasted several ships to orbit. But nothing beats eagle in speed
not even iggle.
Cheers. I'm super curious to know how you accomplished that, it's pretty crazy. :v:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I thought that shouldn't be possible :confused:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
:psypop:

I'm the 400+% heat level.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah how the gently caress were those speeds happening. Also I think cardiac death at a 700% heat level should be modeled.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Aw man, they're patching Quince grinding in the next patch cycle :(

Some lame rear end swirly target made a thread on the brown sea narcing out the tourist beacon trick and eventually a developer commented and said they were aware of it, consider it an exploit, and have already written a fix for it but it needs to go out in the next patch and they don't currently have an ETA for it.

Better make your easy credits now since FDev is crazy allergic to both fun and a non-brutal method of acquiring cash. I'd love to not abuse things like this to make money if there was any other kind of reasonable way to acquire ships that cost in the hundreds of millions of credits range to buy and outfit decently, but when it took me three months of trading (~6-7 hours per week and using tools to find routes) just to afford enough for a deep space exploration DBX, I'll be hosed if I know how it's possible to ever afford something like an Anaconda without becoming a full forumdad and playing for 7 hours per *day*.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I thought the Quince exploit was planetary scans? What's the tourist beacon trick?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pilchenstein posted:

I thought the Quince exploit was planetary scans? What's the tourist beacon trick?

There's a station orbiting the same planet as a tourist beacon, and every tourist mission that's not a deep-space 20,000 LY voyage just goes to one of the two tourism beacons in Quince. It seems less efficient than doing the planetary scans, though, because every passenger for those that I've seen so far has been a VIP.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

You load on in-system passenger missions and fly to the nearest visitor beacon to complete them all at once.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm pretty much a noob and flew to Quince this weekend, and now am making between 3-4.5m every 6-7 minutes.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Do you need luxury cabins for tourist missions or can you just sling a load of economy class berths into a conda and make mad cash? :v:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

deadly_pudding posted:

There's a station orbiting the same planet as a tourist beacon, and every tourist mission that's not a deep-space 20,000 LY voyage just goes to one of the two tourism beacons in Quince. It seems less efficient than doing the planetary scans, though, because every passenger for those that I've seen so far has been a VIP.

This is how I have been earning money recently.
The issue is probably that you get 2 locations in Quince to take passengers to, but going to just 1 location gets you the quest done for all your passengers no matter where they want to go. The flight to the beacon to scan is like 2 minutes long from the station to the beacon, the other location is a fair bit further away but you never have to go there, even if the passengers want you to.

So you can stack multiple missions and just nip to that one beacon

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 1, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pilchenstein posted:

Do you need luxury cabins for tourist missions or can you just sling a load of economy class berths into a conda and make mad cash? :v:

Both. Some VIPs are happy to occupy an entire economy cabin. Others would rather occupy an entire first class cabin.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

So I'm hearing I should take my Beluga up to Quince?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
The station is Jeffries High in Quince and the beacon is Gaylen's Ascension, I was probably getting 20-30 mil an hour and I had to grind up from neutral status. Having a good mix of first and business class is key. Luxury isn't necessary and most of the passengers are VIPs of some sort so they won't settle for economy. Try to stay away from the criminal ones so you don't have to do silent running in and out of the station.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Thanks and this builds exploration rep, correct?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Yes, it does.

Laminar
Dec 11, 2006

Everything you need is already in Quince if you have ~50 million. I had been out exploring in an ASP forever, used the ASP to grind up 50 million to get an Orca, and now I'm well over 250 million in not a lot of time.

I'm running this:

https://eddp.co/u/NBQL6Z6N

I make approximately 7 mil a run. Have to keep grinding before they patch it I suppose. It will be nice to be able to just play after this, without grinding. The Orca is surprisingly agile, I haven't been scanned by station security once. Remember to use silent running.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Laminar posted:

Everything you need is already in Quince if you have ~50 million. I had been out exploring in an ASP forever, used the ASP to grind up 50 million to get an Orca, and now I'm well over 250 million in not a lot of time.

I'm running this:

I make approximately 7 mil a run. Have to keep grinding before they patch it I suppose. It will be nice to be able to just play after this, without grinding. The Orca is surprisingly agile, I haven't been scanned by station security once. Remember to use silent running.

The cops in Quince seem remarkably lazy. I haven't been scanned either, and I'm not particularly trying.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah I've never been scanned there either, and have never bothered with silent running or anything.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

That's funny, I've been scanned quite a few times. Maybe the popo didn't like the cut of my jib.

Also, I bought an Orca in Quince for S&G's, but will probably sell it and just use my Python. One can squeeze more cabins into a Python than an Orca, which is weird since the Orca has greater internal volume. The Orca is surprisingly nimble, especially in super-cruise.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

deadly_pudding posted:

The cops in Quince seem remarkably lazy. I haven't been scanned either, and I'm not particularly trying.

Same here I just boost in the slot like a badass in an Dolphin ha ha

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Laminar posted:

I'm running this:

How would they patch it out anyway? They cant mission stack limit it because it defeats the purpose of the beluga liner.

"Hey everyone, you can't take more than 3 passenger missions at a time! What's that, the Beluga is designed to have 7 or more cabins? Well gently caress you then."

Actually that's exactly what braben will do.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Eldragon posted:

How would they patch it out anyway? They cant mission stack limit it because it defeats the purpose of the beluga liner.

"Hey everyone, you can't take more than 3 passenger missions at a time! What's that, the Beluga is designed to have 7 or more cabins? Well gently caress you then."

Best case scenario is they fix one beacon counting for all missions and leave everything else alone.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Eldragon posted:

They could do a pass to see if they're all going to the same location? But that's ignoring the actual problem, which is that the mission generator should break its "distance cap" for weird outlier systems like Quince. Are there tourism missions outside of Quince that go to Quince at all? It just seems like an oversight on Quince specifically. Mission stacking isn't really a "problem" except in systems like Quince that are, effectively, glitched due to distance.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Speaking of which, has anyone got any good data on the updated rewards? All I have to go on is the EDDiscovery messages, which seem to suggest a ~5× increase for metal planets, and that's about it… which seems both weird and excessive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

They could do a pass to see if they're all going to the same location? But that's ignoring the actual problem, which is that the mission generator should break its "distance cap" for weird outlier systems like Quince. Are there tourism missions outside of Quince that go to Quince at all? It just seems like an oversight on Quince specifically. Mission stacking isn't really a "problem" except in systems like Quince that are, effectively, glitched due to distance.

Related, I'm bummed that there aren't long range, one way passenger missions. Considering the whole concept/history/etymology of a liner and Elite's weird universe which actually has a purpose for such a thing (border worlds like Quince, Colonia) that would be their first thing to recreate.

Meanwhile I can only get one way missions 1 jump away that takes all of ten minutes. I'm sure they needed a 40 ton cabin for that.

• Locked thread