Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the bug where sometimes you just don't get quest credit until you exit and reload the game has been around forever and this point will likely be around forever as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Liu posted:

can't seem to complete quests with the AI anymore, guess i missed that memo

vs AI games? Or games where you turned the matchmaker off and played you + 3 AI vs AI?

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 30, 2017

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
I go into multiplayer and turn matchmaking off since thats what I thought you had to do.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

basalt posted:

Is it possible to acquire Momiji's amazing hat at any point?

Unfortunately not yet, we only just recently got Daubeny's wings so I assume those are all coming eventually though.

Notable mention to Stone's rad hat too.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

pretty sure it actually counts it as a loss on their end

They do not and that is largely why people rage quit. Gotta maintain that W/L ratio.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Did they change Shugoki in a recent patch? I haven't played the character in a while and it seems like Oni Rush doesn't cause knockdown anymore. Hit people dead on multiple times and they only got staggered, which meant no guaranteed heavy.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Would anybody here be interested in sparring, or messing around in co-op matches? I'm trying to ease myself into the idea of actively participating in online gaming communities, and the average age here makes me feel like the chance of receiving threats of bodily harm is ever so slightly smaller than elsewhere on the internet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

basalt posted:

Would anybody here be interested in sparring, or messing around in co-op matches? I'm trying to ease myself into the idea of actively participating in online gaming communities, and the average age here makes me feel like the chance of receiving threats of bodily harm is ever so slightly smaller than elsewhere on the internet.

Add yuppidoo to uplay if you're on PC, I'm so bad at this game that you'll probably have an even shot at beating me by accident. I'm on in the evenings EST and very early morning.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

Add yuppidoo to uplay if you're on PC, I'm so bad at this game that you'll probably have an even shot at beating me by accident. I'm on in the evenings EST and very early morning.
I already sent you a friend request and messaged you about this days ago! I'm still learning, too, and assumed you must have been looking for somebody with a bit more experience.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Oh okay, I probably didn't see your message because I always run the game through Steam! I'll try to find you later.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Did they change Shugoki in a recent patch? I haven't played the character in a while and it seems like Oni Rush doesn't cause knockdown anymore. Hit people dead on multiple times and they only got staggered, which meant no guaranteed heavy.

They indeed did nerf Oni to work as a bash/stagger instead of a knockdown. Not sure if you can even get a free light out of it now.

You can still clear bridges with it at least.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Captain Beans posted:

They indeed did nerf Oni to work as a bash/stagger instead of a knockdown. Not sure if you can even get a free light out of it now.

You can still clear bridges with it at least.

So they basically got rid of his only viable mixup, making him close to useless. Cool stuff, guess I won't bother playing him anymore outside cheesing people with hugs in 4v4 modes.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yep. He's entirely useless now and doesn't have a single way to break someone's defence.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Yep. He's entirely useless now and doesn't have a single way to break someone's defence.

I'm wondering what they expect you to do with him now. The 1v1 used to revolve around trying to get people far enough away from you that you could run at them and they would have to guess if you would try for an Oni Rush > side heavy or grab > R2. Now they'll know your only option is to grab and be able to GB it every time. You can't get anything off the stagger so Rush is only useful for knocking people off ledges.

That leaves fighting up close and having to try for light > headbutt and heavy feinting stuff that's really just barebones game mechanics and not really specific to Shugo, where all his attacks are really slow and you'd be better off playing literally any other character. They took a gimmick character who actually had a way of dealing with the usual turtle/vortex bullshit and removed his gimmick. Meanwhile Conq, Warden, Warlord, Law and Valk keep their bashes which either lead to mixups or guaranteed damage.

Ubisoft is bad at balancing this game.

Shilmista
Feb 6, 2006
MAHNA MAHNA
I still play shugoki, and I really wish I could headbutt on block, or having the charge knock down when they're out of stamina. The out of stamina mixup is just charged heavy feint -> parry or grab, but a lot of heroes and especially assassins can back dodge you and not worry about charge doing anything

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I assume they'd just give some canned "B-buh, he's just not meant for 1v1, he's a 4v4 character!" like they did about I forget who before, when it was pointed out some characters basically have nothing they can do to compete against mostly the assassins in duel.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Wait you could stop the charge early and get swings in with it before the patch? Wow. I've got so much to learn involving this jolly giant. I never expected to have this much fun with shugoki and I'm pleasantly surprised with how often I get to smash idiots heads in. I will say that the nerfed oni charge sucks though before I rarely used it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Wait you could stop the charge early and get swings in with it before the patch? Wow. I've got so much to learn involving this jolly giant. I never expected to have this much fun with shugoki and I'm pleasantly surprised with how often I get to smash idiots heads in. I will say that the nerfed oni charge sucks though before I rarely used it.

Yeah, that used to be his primary way of generating pressure against a defensive opponent. Go sprinting at them and then either hit them with a charge or a guardbreak, creating a mixup that they have to guess ahead of time. If you hit with the charge you were able to stop short and land a heavy, while hitting with the guardbreak gave you all the usual options. Without that, there's now very little you can do when your opponent just decides to gently caress off and not engage. In particular, you've got basically no way to punish somebody who's out of stamina, as basically everybody else can dodge backwards faster than Shugoki can pursue.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

I've progressed enough that I'm winning the occasional duel now, although that satisfaction is mired by the fact that about half of my opponents leave immediately upon losing a round.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Yardbomb posted:

I assume they'd just give some canned "B-buh, he's just not meant for 1v1, he's a 4v4 character!" like they did about I forget who before, when it was pointed out some characters basically have nothing they can do to compete against mostly the assassins in duel.

I hope not because Big Shug is probably the most frustrating guy to have on your team. Out of all the heroes, he's the one that can ruin team fights for me. Especially when the player is inexperienced or just plain bad. It seems like every single one of his attacks can knock me out of my chains/executions. Maybe I get put in games with only the worst Shugs.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

If anyone wants a sparring partner for ps4 I am down. You will almost certainly be better than i.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

titties posted:

You will almost certainly be better than i.
This seems to be a common sentiment.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I did pretty well in my duels this morning except getting hosed repeatedly by some Berserker, which now makes me want to learn Berserker.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Man I sure would like to fight anything but wardens in duel today. Especially since they seem the most common to play like shitters and act like they're playing the weakest class that ever did fight.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

As a (very bad) Warden myself, my advice would be generally to guard top against them, as their top light is the quickest way to initiate their attack strings. If it looks like you're going to get zoned, guard left and then pressure them as it costs half their stamina to use. Don't try to hit them with a heavy top though or you'll get counterstriked for megadamage. Shoulder Bash can be sidestepped or interrupted if your character has a quick enough attack. Wardens IMHO are vulnerable to throws as their dodge isn't great and it's easy for them to get pushed off the map.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

exquisite tea posted:

As a (very bad) Warden myself, my advice would be generally to guard top against them, as their top light is the quickest way to initiate their attack strings. If it looks like you're going to get zoned, guard left and then pressure them as it costs half their stamina to use. Don't try to hit them with a heavy top though or you'll get counterstriked for megadamage. Shoulder Bash can be sidestepped or interrupted if your character has a quick enough attack. Wardens IMHO are vulnerable to throws as their dodge isn't great and it's easy for them to get pushed off the map.

Oh, I'm not losing to them. I'd just like some variety, I find them to be one of the most boring classes to fight.

I appreciate the advice though.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

As a Shugganaut main I feel like I'm above the curve of most randoms, but know for sure that I'm still new to the game as a whole and have a bunch to learn. Like getting feints down. Anyway, that all sounds like it blows and would have taken me awhile to adjust if I had gotten used to using the Oni Charge. I will say I mostly just drag people down to my pace and devour them if they open themselves up with a risky move. Then again I also don't take this game seriously at all since I waited until lv 13 to actually unlock the shugoki so I could customize him.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Nomadic Scholar posted:

As a Shugganaut main I feel like I'm above the curve of most randoms, but know for sure that I'm still new to the game as a whole and have a bunch to learn. Like getting feints down. Anyway, that all sounds like it blows and would have taken me awhile to adjust if I had gotten used to using the Oni Charge. I will say I mostly just drag people down to my pace and devour them if they open themselves up with a risky move. Then again I also don't take this game seriously at all since I waited until lv 13 to actually unlock the shugoki so I could customize him.

That's how I have to play Big Shug too. If I try to aggressive like I do with LB or Valk, I die really fast. I'm also bad with him, but feel very confident with Raider and LB.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I've been trying to make him work despite the nerf but it doesn't feel worthwhile to play him anymore. If you have good fundamentals you can still get hits in with heavy feints and lights as long as they're actually trying to fight you back, but that's the same as any other character and the other ones will have options besides that. The super armor is your main advantage now, since you can generally get people to be too aggressive and either trade lights and get the headbutt or occasionally get in a heavy and come out ahead on damage. If they know what they're up against though and decide to turtle I'm not sure what the option is. Demon's Embrace will get you killed for sure, Oni Rush doesn't do anything anymore, and the charge heavy is at best a 50/50 where you hope they think you're going to feint and choose to just take it instead of trying to parry. Went up against a turtle/vortex Conq and everything I tried seemed like a waste of time. Shugo needs some sort of buff now to counterbalance the sledgehammer nerf, he probably got dropped down to worst character in the game for now. Maybe just make it so a guard break that you counter won't remove your super armor at the very least.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Give him an SPD equivalent. A move that does horrendous damage and requires him to be point blank and you not doing anything, but can't be teched. Make it scary to stand up against him unless you're active.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Oh, I'm not losing to them. I'd just like some variety, I find them to be one of the most boring classes to fight.

I appreciate the advice though.

I'm currently doing Warden on my quest to get prestige with every character, and I gotta say she's also one of the most boring classes the play as. I mean, her kit is quite solid and usable, but it's also super basic. Outside of the vortex (which in itself is also pretty boring to actually do), you're just kind of standing there hitting dudes with the occasional basic attack or gb->heavy. I mean, I get she's supposed to be a very straightforward character, but for example Kensei also does the same thing while also having a central thing/gimmick and some more options available.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think starting as Warden has been very helpful to me because I don't have a year+ on beta like many other people do and it's good that there's a character whose approach doesn't change much depending on the matchup.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

basalt posted:

Missed this but you can also shoot me a thing if you'd like

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 20, 2018

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Perestroika posted:

I'm currently doing Warden on my quest to get prestige with every character, and I gotta say she's also one of the most boring classes the play as. I mean, her kit is quite solid and usable, but it's also super basic. Outside of the vortex (which in itself is also pretty boring to actually do), you're just kind of standing there hitting dudes with the occasional basic attack or gb->heavy. I mean, I get she's supposed to be a very straightforward character, but for example Kensei also does the same thing while also having a central thing/gimmick and some more options available.

Now picture that, minus the Vortex. That's the Fat Man.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shockeh posted:

Now picture that, minus the Vortex. That's the Fat Man.

Well, at least he's theoretically got the armour gimmick that allows to trade and no-sell bashes. That was pretty fun until people figured out how to disable and circumvent it every time. :saddowns:

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Yardbomb posted:

Missed this but you can also shoot me a thing if you'd like, PC uplay and all, PenaDuroEscapee.
Unfortunately, I might have to retract my offer. I misunderstood the way matchmaking works across regions. I was under the assumption that I was playing with people from all around the world, but apparently "all regions" still restricts me to my own country (and possibly it's neighbours). Finally connecting to somebody from abroad resulted in a mess of poor connections, and my presence likely made the experience worse for everyone involved.

It's a bit disappointing, but it does explain why matchmaking often takes such a long time for me! These restrictions don't bode well for the longevity of the game.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

What do the devs even want the Fat Man to do? You can't steer the Oni Charge or even knock down with it anymore, your super armor can be eaten by guard breaks, and you get stomped on by pretty much everyone. I'm curious what the play style is even supposed to be anymore.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Had some good duels this morning. Utterly put the beatdown on a Kensei, whom I normally have trouble against, and made a Berserker ragequit. Zerkers look fun though, I think I want to learn them next.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Nomadic Scholar posted:

What do the devs even want the Fat Man to do? You can't steer the Oni Charge or even knock down with it anymore, your super armor can be eaten by guard breaks, and you get stomped on by pretty much everyone. I'm curious what the play style is even supposed to be anymore.

Kind of changes depending on the game mode:

1) if it looks like your opponent will gb then light into headbutt

2) if it looks like opponent will light or heavy, throw gb, armor eats their attack then you bash/throw them closer to a wall

3) wall bang throw into hug

Pretty difficult to crack a defensive opponent through considering your basically never leaving neutral first. I've seen hella high prestige Shugs do well with that style. Would be nice if he could headbutt off a missed light at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Captain Beans posted:

Kind of changes depending on the game mode:

1) if it looks like your opponent will gb then light into headbutt

2) if it looks like opponent will light or heavy, throw gb, armor eats their attack then you bash/throw them closer to a wall

3) wall bang throw into hug

Pretty difficult to crack a defensive opponent through considering your basically never leaving neutral first. I've seen hella high prestige Shugs do well with that style. Would be nice if he could headbutt off a missed light at least.

Which is all good in theory, except in at least 3* matchups have multi-hit 'native' attacks that'll eat armour and poke you. Or you're trying to Light xx Headbutt a Shove/Barge opener from a Law/Warden, because if you don't interrupt there, you're eating a Vortex for 30-50%.

*HAHAHAHA YEA FUCKIN' RIGHT - 95% of all matches you'll be in are Warden/PK/Orochi