Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

No, he's in the UK. Do you want his details? I have them in a dossier. :grin:

Do you have a dossier on me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

A new Star Citizen backer via a referral code, shares his comment on Reddit. They didn't approve it. Read more

UPDATE: He messaged me after seeing my Tweet. Says that his friend tells him that he can see his post via his profile, but the post permalink is blank.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'm waiting to see that they can put spherical celestial bodies in game, with functional gravity.

Whether it be a huge planet, or a tiny moon, it's a necessary step for progress. If they manage to make any nominally sized spherical body, that you can walk around any point on its surface, and gravity basically works as you'd expect, and it isn't some environment you load into, but can approach and land on, I'll give them a hard point toward completion of their promises.

I'll give them a half point if they manage spherical bodies with gravity that require being loaded into.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'll give them bonus points if the celestial bodies they produce have unique gravitational strengths. I suspect everything will be either weightless, or Earth like gravity.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

No poo poo. Without structure, or a plan, the whole thing descends into chaos. Even simple scheduling becomes difficult when you can't fix the position of another moving part, or even another person.

I blame this new thinking on Valve, TBH. The revelation that a multi-billion dollar company has a flat structure and somehow works made a whole loving bunch of dumbasses think that somehow it's a phenomenon borne out by the structure rather than building a fairly tight team of adults.
And the really important thing is that Valve doesn't need to make games. They can afford to dick around trying out new stuff and ditching what doesn't work as much as they like BECAUSE THEY ALREADY HAVE MONEY. They're not spending money that people have given them in advance for Half-Life 3.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

D_Smart posted:

UPDATE: He messaged me after seeing my Tweet. Says that his friend tells him that he can see his post via his profile, but the post permalink is blank.

Reddit takes free speech very seriously; its the principle reddit was founded on. Nevermind how much mods love shadow banning to maintain the narrative.
:reddit:

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

ManofManyAliases posted:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Sunswipe posted:

And the really important thing is that Valve doesn't need to make games. They can afford to dick around trying out new stuff and ditching what doesn't work as much as they like BECAUSE THEY ALREADY HAVE MONEY. They're not spending money that people have given them in advance for Half-Life 3.

Valve never has to do anything ever again, outside of keeping Steam up to date.

Half-Life 3 development could involve a room full of people picking their noses, and it wouldn't matter. They don't owe anybody anything, because it's their own money. Just like Derek doesn't owe anybody anything with his games.

CIG owes a whole lot of people about $150 million worth of something.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:five::five::five:
:perfect:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

Yuhuh. And funnily, most new hires actually end up leaving when they don't find anything like a classical corporate structure that includes things like bounding.

Literally perfect.

XK posted:

Just like Derek doesn't owe anybody anything with his games.

I think I got my six hours of youth back in bitchy commentary. I'm at peace now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
LOL!! How did we miss this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24qG65D3uOg

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
Option #1: Give CIG more money, thereby supposedly "greenlighting" extra scope, more work and later delivery.

Option #2: Stop giving CIG more money. Project collapses with nothing delivered.

Hmm, let me see...

OPTION #1 IS THE ONLY POSSIBLE OPTION TO CHOOSE.

My logic is irrefutable.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Mr Fronts posted:

Option #1: Give CIG more money, thereby supposedly "greenlighting" extra scope, more work and later delivery.

Option #2: Stop giving CIG more money. Project collapses with nothing delivered.

Hmm, let me see...

OPTION #1 IS THE ONLY POSSIBLE OPTION TO CHOOSE.

My logic is irrefutable.

Funny thing, backers know that option #1 is the only one now. And that would mean they concede the point that croberts has blown through $150m without shipping a single game.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
OldSchoolCmdr is definately not Derek

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm keeping one on how many Star Citizen ships you still own.

Any changes you'd like to make? I still have you down for an Idris & Javelin plus a few thousand $ in others.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

it's like an awful Big Lebowski cosplay.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

XK posted:

I'm waiting to see that they can put spherical celestial bodies in game, with functional gravity.

Whether it be a huge planet, or a tiny moon, it's a necessary step for progress. If they manage to make any nominally sized spherical body, that you can walk around any point on its surface, and gravity basically works as you'd expect, and it isn't some environment you load into, but can approach and land on, I'll give them a hard point toward completion of their promises.

I'll give them a half point if they manage spherical bodies with gravity that require being loaded into.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Will Star Citizen be able to exceed the fidelity and realistic physics of a mid-2000 Nintendo game? Stay tuned to find out.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

his nibs posted:

OldSchoolCmdr is definately not Derek

I don't use alts. Never have. And there's nothing in what he wrote, that I wouldn't writ...wait! you're kidding though, right?

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.
Why do people keep bringing up Derek in comments? One of two things is going to happen:

1) They already know about Derek, and they know Star Citizen is a joke
2) They don't know about Derek, but know that Star Citizen is a joke. Then they look up Derek, and regardless of how true some of the stuff is, it just further cements the idea that SC is a joke

It's hilarious that the diehard believers think that Derek controls everyone's actions, or influences their beliefs somehow?

Also, early access games suck and I'm sick of them. The video game industry needs to burn and be rebuilt. It's stagnant and lovely.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Super Mario Galaxy did it.

I don't think CryEngine/Lumberyard can do it. I suspect they would have to hack up the engine more than for the 64 bit coordinates thing.

I really doubt they can pull off spherical gravity, especially without it being something that is specifically loaded into. On top of that, I really want them to demonstrate anything other than 0g or 1g.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLBmz2rkcMM

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Please stop doxxing me.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

AP posted:

I'm keeping one on how many Star Citizen ships you still own.

Any changes you'd like to make? I still have you down for an Idris & Javelin plus a few thousand $ in others.

I know you are. That's why I'm being as obscure and obnoxious as possible.

I just bought a warbond Defender for $170 USD. Add that to the list.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

I don't use alts. Never have. And there's nothing in what he wrote, that I wouldn't writ...wait! you're kidding though, right?

:rolleyes:

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

ManofManyAliases posted:

I know you are. That's why I'm being as obscure and obnoxious as possible.

did you end up buying that final fantasy ship too? That one that was like $400 for a mechanic that will never be anything remotely useful?

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

ManofManyAliases posted:

Please stop doxxing me.

Filename should have been "doxxier". An opportunity missed, I suppose.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

RandomNinja posted:

Why do people keep bringing up Derek in comments? One of two things is going to happen:

This I can sort of understand, Derek is the Bad Man as designated by Chris.
What I find harder to understand is that all roads lead to Derek's genitals and they love to chat about those, all the time

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

RandomNinja posted:

1) They already know about Derek, and they know Star Citizen is a joke
2) They don't know about Derek, but know that Star Citizen is a joke. Then they look up Derek, and regardless of how true some of the stuff is, it just further cements the idea that SC is a joke

It's hilarious that the diehard believers think that Derek controls everyone's actions, or influences their beliefs somehow?

Yeah, pretty much. Case in point

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

That's it! You're dead to me.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Covok posted:

it's like an awful Big Lebowski cosplay.

You're not wrong, you're just an rear end in a top hat

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
First major deviation between Fyre Festival and Star Citizen, accountability...

there's a 100mil class action brewing against Ja Rule

http://ibankcoin.com/zeropointnow/2017/05/01/ja-rule-and-fyre-festival-slapped-with-100-million-lawsuit-for-multiple-counts-of-fraud/

e:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You fools complaining about projects needing things like scope, accountability, limits, controls, multiple opinions, deadlines and budgets are fools.

The failure of these projects 100% of the time means that the world has just been looking for Chris Roberts.

Thoatse posted:

First major deviation between Fyre Festival and Star Citizen, accountability...

there's a 100mil class action brewing against Ja Rule

http://ibankcoin.com/zeropointnow/2017/05/01/ja-rule-and-fyre-festival-slapped-with-100-million-lawsuit-for-multiple-counts-of-fraud/

e:

Another deviation is Ja Rule didn't use his wife as a model to sell space ships and lie about being married to her. He just got some random models to shill for his impossible dream which is 1000% less scummy but still scummy.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 1, 2017

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

XK posted:

Meanwhile...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Goddamn leavers, clearly they don't understand anything about festival development.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
What I predict will be the fate of Star Citizen

Fyre Festival Organizers Sued in $100 Million Fraud, Breach of Contract Suit

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

My theory is this:

1. CIG is bankrupt and we will all know it from backers not getting refunds or some mega leak
2. people cry about lost money
3. All shills/brain dead people/the rest of CIG will just vanish
4. we wont get much entertainment out of it
5. half a year long "what can we learn from CIG" articles all over the gaming "press", until our eyes bleed

--> we should enjoy every fuckup from Clown Inc., imo we are at the peak with this thread (or near it at least).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

AutismVaccine posted:

My theory is this:

1. CIG is bankrupt and we will all know it from backers not getting refunds or some mega leak
2. people cry about lost money
3. All shills/brain dead people/the rest of CIG will just vanish
4. we wont get much entertainment out of it
5. half a year long "what can we learn from CIG" articles all over the gaming "press", until our eyes bleed

--> we should enjoy every fuckup from Clown Inc., imo we are at the peak with this thread (or near it at least).

You're probably not far off tbh, all the recent langauge from CIG screams of money trouble. From the subtle "please keep spending if you want to support us" to the aggresive "each item ships at individual costs". It all adds up and when laid out is indicating a fairly plausible red flag.

I don't think we'll get entertainment out of it's collapse, but the entertainment will come from those who have been whiteknighting it relentlessly without paying heed to the flags and gently caress ups for years. It'll be their time to shine and they will be more defensive of their "investments" than ever before, the threads of reddit will run (rage) red as they collectively fall on their fideliteous swords and then the reality will hit them and silence will reign over them. :)