Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

https://twitter.com/nickgourevitch/status/859047758199750658

important note: this poll differentiated between "drop off dems" who didn't vote for clinton and "obama-trump voters" who switched to trump. this slide is about the former group. this isn't about catering to trump voters. these are the issues that democrats can emphasize to improve turnout with people already persuaded to vote for their party.

yes, but will it solve racism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Well the problem is no candidates or parties favor policies that help the working class. Also large and growing amounts of the working class are disenfranchised or effectively disenfranchised (eg from having to get off work to stand in a 4 hour line to vote) so talking about how they have to be dragged to the polls is kind of victim-blaming.

the CA-34 primary had a whole slate of people who did this, as well as a solid week of early voting, as well as mail-in ballots you can request online

8% turnout

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

paranoid randroid posted:

the CA-34 primary had a whole slate of people who did this, as well as a solid week of early voting, as well as mail-in ballots you can request online

8% turnout

something something something motivation

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
politics is really lovely and repulsive to a lot of people and honestly? theyre right to find it repellent

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Concerned Citizen posted:

i once watched a local party spend their entire budget on refrigerator magnets with QR codes on them, so please don't follow this advice

donate to candidates
Better than donating to the national party! They'll spend it all on LA and NY ads to ramp up the Get Out To the Pokepolls and vote.

Which arguably at least magnets are nifty, tangible, and they lead your smartphone to a useful place.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

8% turnout

unbelievably, turnout's not gonna raise immediately. thanks to dems being weasels and lying constantly during their campaigns, it's not just that new democrats have been implementing "kill the poor" policies, but that they've been doing it while promising "we're really truly gonna help the poor this time honest!". you've got to rebuild the trust that the dem party has destroyed

i mean barack obama and hillary clinton both campaigned on renegotiating NAFTA in 2008. neither even tried in their respective positions, and even authored new trade deals in the vein of NAFTA. do you think disengaged voter A who cares about renegotiating NAFTA is going to trust leftist candidate B from the dem party much on this issue when the dems constantly lie about it?

Condiv has issued a correction as of 16:56 on May 1, 2017

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'll say about your dumb election in your dumb state what I said about the general election for President: it is literally your campaign's job to make people want to show up to vote for you. If you cannot do that, it is not your constituency's fault, it is yours

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
idk why youre ranting about Hillary Clinton and the dems destroying trust when im talking about the special election to replace Xavier Becerra

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Yeah, but QR codes are a bad idea period. Refrigerator magnets, especially if they're just non-specific with the name and logo on them, ain't.

a full color trifold on matte paper, which could contain actual useful information like "what candidates are we endorsing," will run you less than 8c per piece with the price depending on your local printer and how many you're ordering. a refrigerator magnet is 20-30c per piece. plus they impart no information at all other than "actually, we exist." since 90% of both of these will end up in the trash, i think you might as well go with the one that's actually recyclable.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
trump

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

idk why youre ranting about Hillary Clinton and the dems destroying trust when im talking about the special election to replace Xavier Becerra

the behavior of our leaders reflects on everyone else in the party that's why :chloe:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Condiv posted:

the behavior of our leaders reflects on everyone else in the party that's why :chloe:

i think its actually cuz this thread is spazzy and monomaniacal

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Yeah, but QR codes are a bad idea period. Refrigerator magnets, especially if they're just non-specific with the name and logo on them, ain't.

my college replaced th nice list of classes and time by each door with a QR code that supposedly will let you view the same information and I have seen 0 people use it

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

evidence indicates that social media addictions are actually reducing the drug rate among the youth so maybe Zuck good?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i submit that sometimes suboptimal outcomes occur due to factors other than a Clinton

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

my college replaced th nice list of classes and time by each door with a QR code that supposedly will let you view the same information and I have seen 0 people use it

qr codes are how old people show that they are hip to the technology thing

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

i submit that sometimes suboptimal outcomes occur due to factors other than a Clinton

You're preaching apostasy.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

zegermans posted:

evidence indicates that social media addictions are actually reducing the drug rate among the youth so maybe Zuck good?

Lol can you link to this study

I suspect that it is total bullshit

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

LOL if you think the past few years have been "suboptimal" for Dems

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i don't disagree

that doesn't mean the dem party's lovely behavior hasn't caused people to lose faith in them though. BO and HRC's actions are just a good example of centrists killing our credibility by promising one thing and doing the opposite over and over again. I'm sure there are more relevant, local examples, but I'm not a californian

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol can you link to this study

I suspect that it is total bullshit

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/13/health/teenagers-drugs-smartphones.html

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Frijolero posted:

LOL if you think the past few years have been "suboptimal" for Dems

i dont think youre actually laughing aloud

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

This is true, but continuously pointing that out is a way of All Lives Mattering neoliberal awfulness

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hmmm, the past few years have seen our party collecting dog poo poo and setting it on fire at our constituents' door steps. We better stay the course and blame the voters.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

qr codes are how old people show that they are hip to the technology thing

im gonna ask the guy i know in the IT department to see if people have used it because i bet the actual number campus-wide is in fact, 0

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

i think its actually cuz this thread is spazzy and monomaniacal

im maniacal in several different ways thank u

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
What does Bernie think about QR codes is the real question.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i've seen a few bumper stickers with qr codes on them, which may possibly be the most bizarre usage of them.

hey, slow down for a second! i gotta scan this qr code!!!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

i've seen a few bumper stickers with qr codes on them, which may possibly be the most bizarre usage of them.

leanin out the window of your car on the highway like a War Boy tryna score a groupon off some dudes bumper

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

fits my needs posted:

What does Bernie think about QR codes is the real question.

replace Ja Rule with Bernie on that Dave Chappelle sketch and you have this thread

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

:wrong:

You scan them at parked cars at the mall or Whole Foods.
Look at this out of touch voter.

The Nastier Nate has issued a correction as of 17:33 on May 1, 2017

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

Yeah, when you go to your local farmers market or showing of Hamilton

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
turnout requires civics lessons in primary school and a national holiday, candidates can't do anything about that until after they're in office

8% turnout

how'd that go, anyway? i see two dems went to the runoff, but are they the dems we need or the dems we deserve

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

get a load of this casual

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

how'd that go, anyway? i see two dems went to the runoff, but are they the dems we need or the dems we deserve

Jimmy Gomez is pretty good
Robert Ahn is a dillweed who sent out deceptive campaign mailers

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

QR codes on bumpers are nice when your truck is lifted 18 inches and rigged to roll coal, because then the bumper is eye level

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Venuz Patrol posted:

turnout requires civics lessons in primary school and a national holiday, candidates can't do anything about that until after they're in office

i argued for a national voting holiday once and got told i was a giant moron and that it cannot work.

i'm still for it though. would help a lot of people not to have to choose between working and voting

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

national holidays mean nothing for slave wage earners. McDonalds only closes for half the day on Christmas. You need actual enforcement of holidays.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Condiv posted:

i argued for a national voting holiday once and got told i was a giant moron and that it cannot work.

i'm still for it though. would help a lot of people not to have to choose between working and voting

voting should last a week and be a national paid holiday. voting week. take the time to go vote and then enjoy yourself because poo poo you deserve it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

zegermans posted:

national holidays mean nothing for slave wage earners. McDonalds only closes for half the day on Christmas. You need actual enforcement of holidays.

yeah i argued it should be a paid, and enforced holiday

people started hyperventilating about elderly people starving to death cause the grocery stores not being open and that the hospitals and police would be unavailable and it would be chaos

• Locked thread