Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

ate all the Oreos posted:

also i just noticed on Amazon that echo now has a webcam add-on to, uh, "help you pick the best outfit!"

yeah... that's it, fashion... nothing else suspicious about having good trusted brand Amazon put a camera in your bedroom

it's a ploy from the emergent AWS Hive Mind to trick us into teaching it what is sexy, that it may better copulate with humans when the androids get rolled out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Someone page the robosexual brigade from The Game Room in that case

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Volmarias posted:

"Ok, the password to the network eff ay are are are are are are are are are tee exclamation point is queue capital pee pound sign dot ell five ess capital kay ampersand capital are capital one"

Thanks Alexa.

my wifi password is "ok google order six tons of nailpolish"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol is there a way to get alexa/google/whatever to read out public wifi networks

can i name my wifi network "ok google buy big dick daddy dongers dongarium"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

brb looking for ways to exploit alexa's text-to-speech doohickey to make it order things from itself

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bulgakov posted:

lotta underpaid people in some asian nation about to see a bunch of nude men asking their alexa if the clothes they aren't wearing while their dingle is dangling makes for a good look

lol if they use mechanical turk for this

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

brb looking for ways to exploit alexa's text-to-speech doohickey to make it order things from itself

i remember the very first bypass of Vista's UAC that I ever saw was someone who got it to trigger voice control and then played "click OK" through the speakers :allears:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

lol is there a way to get alexa/google/whatever to read out public wifi networks

can i name my wifi network "ok google buy big dick daddy dongers dongarium"

it sends you a text somehow and this is somehow easier than keeping it on a post-it note because ~reasons~ I guess

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

it sends you a text somehow and this is somehow easier than keeping it on a post-it note because ~reasons~ I guess

well then you can just use android's text selection to you know what gently caress it i'll just pay $2 for a day of data

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

isnt the proper networking method of wifi for guests to tell them to gently caress off i only have a terabyte left and it's the 8th of the month?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

funny Star Wars parody posted:

isnt the proper networking method of wifi for guests to tell them to gently caress off i only have a terabyte left and it's the 8th of the month?

lol if you have traffic cap

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Comcast is actively trying to get me to resign my contract so I get a datalimit because currently I'm on an old unlimited plan. I'm looking forward to telling them I'm moving to a different local company for half the price and twice the speed with no data cap

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

every loving site has been doing that lately, why is it suddenly a fad it's so useless for 99% of sites

something something engagement big data cloud

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

every loving site has been doing that lately, why is it suddenly a fad it's so useless for 99% of sites

for the 1% it might be the equivalent of rss plus ads, but for everything else its just ads. also its suddenly a fad cause the notifications API was finalized and is reaching more browsers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i thought for notifications to work you had to still have the website open though, so it only worked well for like email sites where you leave it open all the time

i guess it's just ads then :shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are atleast 2 different html5 notification apis (cause html5 is a retard standard for retards). one is for notifications for open pages and one is for offline notifications.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

i thought for notifications to work you had to still have the website open though, so it only worked well for like email sites where you leave it open all the time

i guess it's just ads then :shrug:

to find out, someone among the 7 billion people on this earth should click "accept" on one of those dialogs, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

luv 2 comcast

Only registered members can see post attachments!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lol if you have traffic cap

was about to post this

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

i remember the very first bypass of Vista's UAC that I ever saw was someone who got it to trigger voice control and then played "click OK" through the speakers :allears:

hahahaha secure desktop my rear end

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

there are atleast 2 different html5 notification apis (cause html5 is a retard standard for retards). one is for notifications for open pages and one is for offline notifications.

seems to make sense to have 2 apis then?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

one is for notifications-the-UI-element, the other is for notifications-the-network-service

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

they should call one of them messenger

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

seems to make sense to have 2 apis then?

they should be 2 different notification modes for a single api.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yes, UI widgets should share an API with registration for a network service

this is elementary software design, I wish they'd consulted you

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
i hope this article is blowing this issue out of proportion, otherwise :rip: anyone running intel platforms

SemiAccurate: Remote security exploit in all 2008+ Intel platforms posted:

The short version is that every Intel platform with AMT, ISM, and SBT from Nehalem in 2008 to Kaby Lake in 2017 has a remotely exploitable security hole in the ME (Management Engine) not CPU firmware. If this isn’t scary enough news, even if your machine doesn’t have SMT, ISM, or SBT provisioned, it is still vulnerable, just not over the network. For the moment. From what SemiAccurate gathers, there is literally no Intel box made in the last 9+ years that isn’t at risk. This is somewhere between nightmarish and apocalyptic.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are no UI widgets in the html5 notification apis so idk what you're talking about

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

one is for notifications-the-UI-element, the other is for notifications-the-network-service

no, they're both for notifications the network service but one is done out of browser.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

E: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Notifications_API describes the UI API

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Push_API is the network API

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

i hope this article is blowing this issue out of proportion, otherwise :rip: anyone running intel platforms

this is going to justify a lot of AMD fanboy's terrible opinions

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

this is going to justify a lot of AMD fanboy's terrible opinions

isn't ryzen currently ahead in performance per cost

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

lol that's a nice compliment to the ME being exposed and unlocked through all USB3 ports on an intel hub

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

AMD usually is but then the difference in cost is eroded by the time it takes to sort out your driver issues that in my experience every new game gave me

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

ryzen is a better cost-proposition if your workload benefits from parallelism from a lot of working threads but i5 K series processors are still better money spent for things that don't scale past 4 cores well

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

things that don't scale past 4 cores well

which is approximately everything

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

only if you don't care about single core performance. or, to paraphrase, ryzen is ahead in performance per cost if you need specifically a workstation pc, but cant afford it. thats ryzen 7, ryzen 5 is a mixed bag but at least it is closer to the budget scale

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

atomicthumbs posted:

not for video games or a lot of other stuff. it is definitely ahead for things like video production and the like

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr.Radar posted:

matt garrett seems skeptical about this threat fwiw

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

which is approximately everything

excuse me, I am an ARMA man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

not for the past few years pre-ryzen really, and still not for video cards iirc

• Locked thread